inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Would you like me to explain?

Written By: About Redgums Only 19 on 10/14/04 at 5:51 am

I have a friend whose father was in the 6th battalion.  Although the writer of Only 19 was never in the Vietnam conflict, the song is based upon the stories he was told by a 6th battaliion vet.  Let me explain the verse you don't understand.

It was a frequent occurance that people would be told they leaving the theatre only to be racalled before they had even left.  This is what that line refers to.  'Frankie" was supposed to go home in June - however, he was recalled  before he had finished his tour of duty and unfortunately was killed by a lan-mine the following month.  

There you have it, all cleared up.  Though common-sense would have led to this conclusion anyway, but hey, it's much easier to poke fun at these things, isn't it?

Subject: Re: Would you like me to explain?

Written By: Vet on 06/11/05 at 1:54 am

Just thought the record should be put right on a few things:

* The 6th Battalion's second tour of duty in Vietnam was from May 1969 to May 1970.  (6RAR's first tour of duty had been in 1966/67.)

* 'Frankie' was Francis John Hunt, a regular enlistee (i.e. not a national serviceman).

* His service in Vietnam with 6RAR was from 8 May 1969 to 24 July 1969.  The song's words that "he was going home in June" therefore are wrong and it is unfortunate that they do create confusion.  It seems this must be put down to some 'poetic license' on the part of John Schumann's.  (There are also other statements in John Schumann's lyrics that I take issue with, but won't go into them here.  It could have been a great song if accuracy was not compromised.)

* Frank was not killed but lost half his leg and suffered severe spinal injuries.  He returned to live in Bega, NSW, battling on bravely.

===========================================================

I have a friend whose father was in the 6th battalion.  Although the writer of Only 19 was never in the Vietnam conflict, the song is based upon the stories he was told by a 6th battaliion vet.  Let me explain the verse you don't understand.

It was a frequent occurance that people would be told they leaving the theatre only to be racalled before they had even left.  This is what that line refers to.  'Frankie" was supposed to go home in June - however, he was recalled  before he had finished his tour of duty and unfortunately was killed by a lan-mine the following month.  

There you have it, all cleared up.  Though common-sense would have led to this conclusion anyway, but hey, it's much easier to poke fun at these things, isn't it?

Check for new replies or respond here...