inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you know what this jazz song is?

Written By: dbbarney on 11/17/04 at 1:55 am

I wonder if you can help me. I'm trying to find who the artist of a song was that was really a tribute to "Charlo" from the Desperadoes Steel band.

I just know some of the lyrics but I'd love to get a copy of it somewhere...I just need to know the artist or album name.

The lyrics go something like this:

"This is the story of the General. One who blazed a trail. One who seldom failed. The man I'm speaking of they call Charlo. A phenomena, Mr. Charisma. He organized one of the great steel bands, up in (something), up on top of the hill..."

Then the chorus:

"You can count on him, a (something) man, Witco Desperadoes was his band. I can see him now...
"You can count on him, a (something) man, Trinidad and Tobago was his land. I can see him now..."

Any ideas? Any help you might give me would be appreciated. Thanks

Dean Barney
Mesa, AZ

Subject: Re: Do you know what this jazz song is?

Written By: cph on 02/16/05 at 10:08 pm

I wonder if you can help me. I'm trying to find who the artist of a song was that was really a tribute to "Charlo" from the Desperadoes Steel band.

I just know some of the lyrics but I'd love to get a copy of it somewhere...I just need to know the artist or album name.

The song is named "Charlo", and its on Ralph MacDonald's album "Surprize" (spelled with a "z")
You should be able to find a used copy on ebay or gemm....hope this helps.

(An aside, I heard the song too, back in 1985, but misheard the title as "Shiloh"....I found your post via  a search engine and that helped lead me to the proper song!)

Check for new replies or respond here...