inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cover Song?

Written By: Steve2891 on 11/19/04 at 3:44 am

I hear the 60's song "Do Wah Diddy Diddy" on the radio, and I remember listening to that song as a kid in the mid/late 80's, as if it were a new song. But it seems like the version I heard in the 80's sounded different. My question is, was there a cover of that song in the mid or late 80's? And if so, by what band/artist?

Thanks.

Subject: Re: Cover Song?

Written By: karen on 11/19/04 at 5:42 am

Could it be this version by DJ Otzi?

http://www.lyricsstyle.com/d/djotzi/dowahdiddy.html

(watch out for pop-ups though)

I typed ("do wah diddy" -manfred) into Google (minus the parentheses).  There might be other versions that I didn't look at.

Written By: kairi747 on 11/19/04 at 11:44 am

I hear the 60's song "Do Wah Diddy Diddy" on the radio, and I remember listening to that song as a kid in the mid/late 80's, as if it were a new song. But it seems like the version I heard in the 80's sounded different. My question is, was there a cover of that song in the mid or late 80's? And if so, by what band/artist?

Thanks.

yes, there was a version in the 80's - 1982-ish??  i can't remember who did it but I definitely remember that being a song that got a lot of air time.  let me think about and hopefully it'll come to me!

Subject: Re: Cover song? (Doo Wah Diddy?)

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/30/05 at 3:54 pm

Thanks.

Well, 2 Live Crew did a pretty tasteless (and hilarious :) cover of it in 1987's "Move Somethin'.
<P>
But trust me, you probably didn't hear it on radio in the USA.  The FCC would have problems with, umm... every verse. 
<P>
If you remember verses about prostitution, douching, and/or transvestitism, that's the cover you're looking for :)  Lyrics are Googlable, if you're brave :)

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/31/05 at 9:30 pm

I betcha you're thinking of the movie Stripes, where Bill Murray and his platoon use "Doo Wah Diddy" as a marching cadence call. That's where I got familiar with it; it wasn't until years later that realized that it was an ACTUAL SONG.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: karen on 02/01/05 at 3:49 am

I betcha you're thinking of the movie Stripes, where Bill Murray and his platoon use "Doo Wah Diddy" as a marching cadence call. That's where I got familiar with it; it wasn't until years later that realized that it was an ACTUAL SONG.

xoxox
Spaff

Isn't that the funniest film?  I also liked the bit near the beginning when one of them is teaching Da Do Run Run to his English class.

Check for new replies or respond here...