inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bobby Joe McCallister Jumped off the Tallahassee Bridge/Pass the biscuits please

Written By: betts2222 on 11/26/04 at 9:03 am

I am looking for the song that has these lyrics :
Bobby Joe McAllister Jumped off the Tallahassee Bridge/Pass the biscuits please
I don't know who sings it and I think it is a 60s song.  Can anyone help out?
Thanks, Betts2222

Subject: Re: Bobby Joe McCallister Jumped off the Tallahassee Bridge/Pass the biscuits please

Written By: karen on 11/26/04 at 9:18 am

A Google search on Bobby Joe McCallister revealed that he did indeed jump off the Tallahassee Bridge on June 3 (what year it doesn't say).

However the song you are thinking of is by Bobby Gentry and concerns Billie Joe McCallister jumping off the Tallahatchie Bridge.  I Googled "pass the biscuits please" to find this.

Subject: Re: Bobby Joe McCallister Jumped off the Tallahassee Bridge/Pass the biscuits pl

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/27/04 at 12:20 am

The song is titled

"Ode To Billie Joe"

and is sung, as Karen says, by Bobbie Gentry (F) - and yep, 60's - 1967 to be precise  :)

Papa said to Mama
As he passed around the blackeyed peas
Well, Billie Joe never had a lick of sense
Pass the biscuits please

You can find the full lyrics here, betts :

http://www.songlyrics4u.com/bobbie-gentry/ode-to-billie-joe.html

Subject: Re: Bobby Joe McCallister Jumped off the Tallahassee Bridge/Pass the biscuits please

Written By: zcrito on 11/27/04 at 8:07 pm

:-\\
Kind of a depressing song. No?

Anyway the song was later turned into a movie in 1976 - "Ode to Billy Joe". And it looks like it was directed by non other than Jethro Bodine himself (Max Baer Jr.).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074995/

(not a very good movie I'm told)

:)

Subject: Re: Bobby Joe McCallister Jumped off the Tallahassee Bridge/Pass the biscuits pl

Written By: Amber on 01/09/05 at 10:36 pm

Billie Jo was played by Robbie Benson.  It wasn't a bad movie.  Yes, it is a sad song/movie b/c Billie Joe committed suicide.

Written By: Foothilld on 08/26/07 at 10:42 pm

The song is "Ole to Billy Joe"...not sure who the singer is.

I am looking for the song that has these lyrics :
Bobby Joe McAllister Jumped off the Tallahassee Bridge/Pass the biscuits please
I don't know who sings it and I think it is a 60s song.  Can anyone help out?
Thanks, Betts2222

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/10 at 12:26 am

:-\\
Kind of a depressing song. No?

Anyway the song was later turned into a movie in 1976 - "Ode to Billy Joe". And it looks like it was directed by non other than Jethro Bodine himself (Max Baer Jr.).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074995/

(not a very good movie I'm told)

:)

A truly haunting song, leaving many questions to be answered.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/21 at 7:31 am

A Google search on Bobby Joe McCallister revealed that he did indeed jump off the Tallahassee Bridge on June 3 (what year it doesn't say).

However the song you are thinking of is by Bobby Gentry and concerns Billie Joe McCallister jumping off the Tallahatchie Bridge.  I Googled "pass the biscuits please" to find this.
Did someone say biscuits?  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...