inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Searching for '70s/'80s R&B song.

Written By: zcrito on 12/12/04 at 11:03 pm

Basically a woman singing and a saxaphone playing throughout the song. Sounds like it's late '70s or early '80s.

Right before its closing she sings: "Open up your heart to me".
And its closing lines are:
"You know that I really need you. You know that I need to have you", and are repeated over several times.

I hear it on the radio about twice a year. Any ideas?

???

Subject: Re: Searching for '70s/'80s R&B song.

Written By: Kate on 12/13/04 at 3:30 pm

if it's what i'm thinking of i think you're look for Madonna Open Your Heart to Me, but who knows thats just the first thing i thought of when i saw your post  ::)

Written By: zcrito on 12/13/04 at 7:12 pm

if it's what i'm thinking of i think you're look for Madonna Open Your Heart to Me, but who knows thats just the first thing i thought of when i saw your post  ::)

Thanks, but sorry, that's not it.
;)

Written By: cherrysparkle on 01/15/05 at 12:06 pm

I hope this helps.  The name of the song and artist I believe you're searching for is:
She repeats the lyrics you mentioned toward the end of the song and there is a saxophone playing in the background

Title: I Tried
Artist: Angela Bofill

Lyrics: I tried to do the best I can for you
but it seems it's not enough
And you know I care,
even when you're not there
But it's not what you want

You close your door
when I want to give you more
And I feel,I feel so out of place
And you know it's true
Don't you think I'm good enough for you

bridge(instrumental)

Can't you see that your hurting me
and I want,I want this pain to stop
So if you really care
I mean if you really,really care
Well then open up your heart to me
Open up to me

You know that I tried to be with you
You know that I wanted to make it through
You know that I needed to make you mine
And it was just a matter of time

You know that I wanted to see it through
And it was only a matter of time

Written By: zcrito on 01/15/05 at 7:13 pm

I hope this helps.  The name of the song and artist I believe you're searching for is:
She repeats the lyrics you mentioned toward the end of the song and there is a saxophone playing in the background

Title: I Tried
Artist: Angela Bofill

Lyrics: I tried to do the best I can for you
but it seems it's not enough
And you know I care,
even when you're not there
But it's not what you want

You close your door
when I want to give you more
And I feel,I feel so out of place
And you know it's true
Don't you think I'm good enough for you

bridge(instrumental)

Can't you see that your hurting me
and I want,I want this pain to stop
So if you really care
I mean if you really,really care
Well then open up your heart to me
Open up to me

You know that I wanted to make it through
And it was just a matter of time

You know that I wanted to see it through
And it was only a matter of time

Hot Damn!
That's it!  :o
Nice going, Cookie Dude. My 2 year old mystery has been solved.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005JXQF/qid=1105836791/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-9371544-6985406?v=glance&s=music

I was close with its date. It's from her Oct.1979, album "Angel of the Night".

Thanks!

How did you ever find it?

;)

-------------------------------
What's sad is that when people tell me they're trying to locate a song they heard on the radio I always tell me to check the radio station's Web site. This time I didn't use my own advice until it was too late -- the station I heard it on only keeps the last 12 hours of songs listed and I waited 2 days. What's even more sad is I heard this song again just last week and this time when I got home I checked the radio station's Web site -- and now they don't list the songs they played anymore! (I can't win)

Written By: buffalo soldier 1984 on 09/08/05 at 3:21 pm

You do not know how many times I have heard this song and waited for the dj to say the title or artist, and they cut to commercial!  I have searched everywhere, but you have found it.  I am going to put this on the all time love songs cd I am creating.

--buff

Written By: buffalo soldier 1984 on 09/08/05 at 3:22 pm

You do not know how many times I have heard this song and waited for the dj to say the title or artist, and they cut to commercial!  I have searched everywhere, but you have found it.  I am going to put this on the all time love songs cd I am creating.

--buff

Written By: a mystery solved on 01/08/06 at 1:27 am

THANK U SOOOOOOOOOOOO very much!!!! i've been trying to find this soing for the past ALMOST..i heard it when i was 6 years old(im a lil young) & i never knew or heard anything & no one around me seemed to know it..finally i heard the song last week & i managed to catch the end of it & record it on my phone..i typed the last few lyrics in & i finally solved my mystery..again thank u SO VERY MUCH!!! ;D

Subject: Angela Bofill/ Bill Cosby Christmas song: with a smooth 70's beat

Written By: Sunny on 12/10/08 at 3:02 pm

Thanks to this website, I have found the Artist and the Song title, that I  love. Angela Bofill "I try". I absolutely Love this song, and it is not a song that they play on the radio all of the time. They play it ever now and then, and when they do play it they never tell the artist name or the song. I have been hearing this song since I was a little girl, and I am know 25 and I never knew the name or the artist, but I just love this song. Anyways, thank you very much for answering my question, because everytime I would here it on the radio, they would never have the song in its recently played songs on line.
b]By the way those anyone remember the Christmas Song Bill Cosby came out with probably in the 70's, it is a real sexy type of song. Only a few people I have met remember this song, but they will probably play it during the holiday season on a old skool R&B station. One of the lyrics say:let me come down your chimmey baby, I would love to down load it, and someone told me the name of it a long time ago, but I can't remember, but it is a real smooth song, and he isn't singing he is talking during it. But if anyone knows the name of that song and where I can find it at please let me know

Check for new replies or respond here...