inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Searching sample source: Consolidated, (Friendly Fascism) "Our Leader"

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/30/05 at 3:35 pm

Artist: Consolidated
Album: Friendly Fascism
Track: Our Leader

The track consists of vocal samples of George Bush (1991, that is :) taken out of context, and overlaid across a synthesizer backbeat. The backbeat jumps back and forth along the samples -- so it may be that the backbeat was part of the source Consolidated was sampling from.

I know for a fact that the synthesizer backbeat itself dates back at least as far as 1984 (possibly earlier), which was when I first heard it on a 4-track reel-to-reel tape recorder. 

Can anybody identify the artist that performed the backbeat?.

Subject: Re: Searching sample source: Consolidated, (Friendly Fascism) "Our Leader"

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/15/06 at 12:49 am

I'll neither confirm nor deny how much good music I've downloaded while looking for early synthesizer / moog music / or  whatever other keywords I've typed in over the past few years.  Still no joy.  I know it's an early (pre-1984/5) synthesizer track that predates the Con$olidated album by at least 5 years, but every year or so I'll keep bumping this thread.

Anyone wanting to spawn a new thread for their own early-synth / moog-era stuff, by the way, is more than welcome to. I don't have an extensive collection, but I'm loathe to delete stuff from the vinyl/4-track/8-track era that's out of print.

Subject: Re: Searching sample source: Consolidated, (Friendly Fascism) "Our Leader"

Written By: karen on 12/15/06 at 8:17 am

Can you post a sample of the music you are talking about.  If, as you think, it comes from an earlier record people here might know the earlier record but not the track you are talking about.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/28/09 at 12:06 am

Can you post a sample of the music you are talking about.  If, as you think, it comes from an earlier record people here might know the earlier record but not the track you are talking about.

Been a while, but hey, I found this thread again!  From the label that sold the record: Track 03: Our Leader

I haven't found the synthesizer-background track in Con$olidated's "Our Leader", but I have found the sample source for the following George H. W. Bush samples:

"As President, every morning I receive an intelligence briefing,"
"And the world is moving too fast to forecast with absolute certainty"
"Yet the morning news is often overtaken by"

All from Remarks and a Question-and-Answer Session at a Luncheon Hosted by the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco, California, February 7, 1990.

If you listen to the full Consolidated track, the three samples from this one speech have the same electronic audio background, where the other samples from Bush I have no audio background. 

Now, for mega-bonus-points, can anyone identify (or does anyone remember a campaign speech, ad, etc?) the synthesizer background track that at one time accompanied a broadcast of this speech?  The track I'm looking for dates back to 1982-1984 at the latest.  It was a lifetime before I heard it re-appear in the 1990/91ish Consolidated mash-up.

Check for new replies or respond here...