inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Biggest challenge ever!

Written By: shazamzam on 03/20/05 at 4:24 pm

There's this song that's been hiding from me for like, ten years now.  Every time I hear the song "Africa" by Toto, I think of it, but I cannot remember any lyrics whatsoever.  I hadn't even heard the song in about a decade until today, when I heard it at work.  Unfortunately, a customer started talking to me while I was trying to catch some lyrics and it ended before she left.  Now I have to either find this song once and for all, or find that customer and punch her in the face. 

Here are the only details I have about the song:
The very first lyrics of "Africa," right up until where he says "conversation," remind me of it, except in the real song, the singer's voice goes down in scale rather than up.
The singer is a man with a very deep voice.
The song is kind of somber and creepy, like something by Chris Isaak.
I think it came out between 1982 and 1987.
It'd be considered adult contemporary.

I know this is the worst description ever.  It's just that I'm really desperate.  I would appreciate any help more than you know.  I'll send a candy bar to the winner.  Seriously.  If I don't find it I'll die.  :\'(

Subject: Re: Biggest challenge ever!

Written By: 1Dan on 03/20/05 at 4:41 pm

Call the DJ at the radio station you heard the song on. Tell him the hour that you heard the song. He has to mark down the time and song so a royalty can be sent to the record company. Call as soon as you can.

Dan

Written By: shazamzam on 03/20/05 at 4:58 pm

The problem is that it's our store's broadcast station, and I have no idea where it originates, because there are like 100 stores.  I did, however, just send an email through the store's website, asking if there's a way to obtain record of the songs they play on a certain day.  I think they're going to assume I'm messing with them.  But I hope not.

Written By: 1Dan on 03/20/05 at 5:02 pm

Some stores use prerecorded music provided an outside company. Your store may have been playing a CD.

Here's the full length song by TOTO for people to use to guess your song.

http://jukeboxjoe.com/Albums3/TotoPage

Dan

Written By: bunnypeep on 03/26/05 at 5:49 pm

The first thing that popped in my head was, "Southern Cross" by Crosby, Stills, and Nash.
The only other thing was a Leonard Cohen song perhaps.

Written By: Texarooni on 04/01/05 at 8:53 am

How about

Robbie Robertson - "Somewhere Down The Crazy River"

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...