inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 'Friends' song from the late 60's, early 70's

Written By: Nickdog on 04/15/05 at 11:17 am

I am searching for a song for my folks.  It's from the late 60's, early 70's.  They are sure it was called 'Friends'.  They don't know the name of the artist.  I have done several searches on the internet.  There are literally hundreds of songs named Friends, but I can't find the one I'm looking for.  It has lyrics that go:  "We had friends who had friends by the river....." and "Sittin' 'round drinking port after dinner....."   That's all they can remember.  Anybody have any ideas?  Any help would be appreciated!

Subject: Re: 'Friends' song from the late 60's, early 70's

Written By: Texarooni on 04/15/05 at 4:58 pm

I think that was by a British group called Arrival. The song was called 'Friends'.

It was a UK top ten hit in 1970. They had a lesser hit later that year called 'I Will Survive' and then, chart wise at least, vanished.

:P

Written By: Claybricks on 04/15/05 at 5:16 pm

I think that was by a British group called Arrival. The song was called 'Friends'.

It was a UK top ten hit in 1970. They had a lesser hit later that year called 'I Will Survive' and then, chart wise at least, vanished.

:P

From an old post on the One Hit Wonder Central Board

Subject: Friends by Arrival  Date: 07-10-2003
Author: Ricky Ferries

Does anyone remember a song (late 60's early 70's) by a group called Arrival ( I think) titled , Friends ( I think ) Lyrics something like. I had a friend who had friends by the river,they too had friends who had friends of thier own. All sittin round drinking port after dinner, port that was brought by---- .

That's all I can remember. I think it was probably one of the few song by this group
Subject: RE: Friends by Arrival Date: 07-10-2003
Author: Brian

Yep, the song was indeed called "Friends" by Arrival. Came out in 1970. English band.
Subject: RE: Friends by Arrival Date: 07-10-2003
Author: pete

This from AMG: Arrival was a seven-member group from Liverpool formed in the late '60s. Members were Dyan Birch, Paddy McHugh, Frank Collins, Carroll Carter (vocals), Lloyd Courtney, Don Hume, and Tony O'Malley. They had two U.K. hits in 1970: "Friends" (number eight) and "I Will Survive" (number 16). Birch, Collins, McHugh and O'Malley later formed Kokomo. Arrival had two albums "The Arrival" (1970) and "Heartbreak Kid" (1973).

Subject: RE: Friends by Arrival Date: 08-11-2003
Author: Ricky Ferries

Thanks to Andy Ross who sent me an MP3 of Friends.(twice,as my E mail bounced the first time).Now I remember how it felt to have hair,and a little po(r)t after dinner.What a brilliant song.Andy you are a star.
Subject: RE: Friends by Arrival Date: 11-05-2003

Author: Mick Bolton
I have it as an mp3 if you'd like to have it sent attached to an e-mail.

Best, Mick Bolton
Subject: RE: Friends by Arrival Date: 11-12-2003
Author: Alistair Baillie

port that was brought by...........
friends beside you....friends to guide you....

Subject: RE: Friends by Arrival Date: 11-12-2003
Author: Alistair Baillie

port that was brought by...........
friends beside you....friends to guide you....

Subject: RE: Friends by Arrival Date: 11-28-2003
Author: michael

Friends was written by the great Terry Reid and may be available on cd..Arrival covered his song...I have the Terry Reid version on cd

http://www.onehitwondercentral.com/forum/thread.cfm?threadid=1960&messages=8

Dan

Written By: Nickdog on 04/15/05 at 6:29 pm

That's It! That's the song!  Thanks for the help guys.  Boy, that was quick; I've been searching for months.  Now if I can just get ahold of a copy of it.  Thanks again.

Written By: dogdaisy on 08/05/06 at 6:42 pm

I know this is an old topic but I would really like to have a copy of that song. I've been trying to remember who the band was for months. It came out when I was 18 and just away from home and I'd love to hear it again. My housemate had the Terry Reid Album and she played it non stop but I loved the Arrival cover. I'm delighted to have found your discussion.
Hope someone reads this and helps me.
Dog Daisy

Written By: Gillian Lewis on 08/30/06 at 9:53 am

Yes, I do remember the said song very well indeed (have tried looking on the Internet for information about the Band Members) Not sure if it was a 5 or 7 piece  or a 7 piece Outfit.  Had 2 Female Singers Diane Birch and Carol Carter.

"Friends" was a Top 10 Hit for them in early 1970 (a follow up later that year called "I Will Survive" (not the Gloria Gaynor version) wasnt so successful.

I have the said song on a DECCA Album "World Of Hits" (back then cost

Check for new replies or respond here...