inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A song called Lowrider from the early 90s

Written By: Nico on 04/27/05 at 1:52 am

Hi all...I so hope one of you can help me...

There was this song from the late 80s or early ninties that featured a latin rap group that wore bullet proof vests.

The song lyrics went something like "All my hommies, drive lowriders. A low-ri-der is more flyer"

Now watching the new animated movie "Robots" at the movies the other day, I noticed they featured the music to that song inside the limo at one point.

But to date I cannot find a reference to that song anywhere on the internet. I even think that one of the singers from the group went on to release a rap tune called tequila where all the lyrics where a play on words using drink names.

Can anyone help me???

My email address is design@ontrackinternational.com.au for anyone that can.

Subject: Re: A song called Lowrider from the early 90s

Written By: mrgazpacho on 04/27/05 at 11:08 am

I coulda sworn I remembered a version done in a really deep, gravelly voice by Tone Loc. But I can't find a reference to that on the Net either...

Written By: Claybricks on 04/27/05 at 4:28 pm

'War' released 'Low Rider' in 1975. The song may have been re-released...

full length song...

http://home.comcast.net/%7Eemailsforpay/rockZ/S_Z/war.html

Here's another artist

Artist: Exodus

Song: Low Rider

Year: 1989

song clip...

http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?clipid=012671901040006900&cid=600111

Dan

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/05/05 at 10:48 pm

I coulda sworn I remembered a version done in a really deep, gravelly voice by Tone Loc. But I can't find a reference to that on the Net either...

In addition to the original by "War", (3:13, a remix at 3:53), I also have a more rappish version that's still pretty faithful to the original:

Latin Alliance: Low Rider (On the Boulevard), 4:44, 1991, from 12" vinyl. 

A few samples of a very low voice (possibly the original, slowed down and not frequency-shifted) and references to "the Frost", presumably  the artist.

Written By: Roger Tsai on 05/19/05 at 10:55 pm

hey guys I've been trying to download that Song tequila which was turned into a rap song making references to all kinds of drinks

could you let me know who the artist is ???

I think the song came out in the earily 90s

thanks

roger

Written By: Jasmin on 06/11/05 at 1:30 am

Hi Roger,

Just wondering if you had found who did this version? I too am looking for it (can't find it anywhere!!)

Thanks,
Jasmin.

Written By: racingdiva on 06/12/05 at 1:12 am

ALT & The Lost Civilization did this song; can order it through Rhapsody...

Written By: jan on 02/11/06 at 9:26 pm

Lowrider          by            War      8)

All my friends know the lowrider
The lowrider is a little higher

Lowrider drives a little slower
Lowrider is a real goer

Hey

Lowrider knows every street yeah!
Lowrider is the one to meet yeah!

Lowrider don

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/28/06 at 10:51 pm

In addition to the original by "War", (3:13, a remix at 3:53), I also have a more rappish version that's still pretty faithful to the original:

Latin Alliance: Low Rider (On the Boulevard), 4:44, 1991, from 12" vinyl. 

A few samples of a very low voice (possibly the original, slowed down and not frequency-shifted) and references to "the Frost", presumably  the artist.

And one more.  Quando Quango, "Lowrider (Exclusive Mix)", 3:50.  Very faithful to the original.  A little more upbeat.  From a compilation CD "Funky Alternatives (Vol. 1 and 2)".

The original Quando Quango version of the track is 4:26 on "Pigs + Battleships" from 1985.  If that's the right version,  Google and  http://www.discogs.com/release/288593  can help you take it from there.

I'd recommend "funky alternatives" compilation CDs.  The 2-volume CD also features 1987's excellent "Yon Yonson", by the hopelessly-underrated Dave Howard Singers. 

Written By: jack on 05/05/06 at 8:53 pm

Frost was the rapper kid frost. do a search for him and you can find info.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/05/06 at 9:33 pm

Frost was the rapper kid frost. do a search for him and you can find info.

*googles*

Thanks!  (Sometimes I have to create my own ID3 tags, and sometimes I don't have enough to go on.  I owe  ya one.)

Written By: Geust on 06/16/06 at 10:05 pm

The original song "Tequila" was done by the "Champions" in the 1950's, I can't find Lowrider, (original).

Check for new replies or respond here...