inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Lyrics Ever

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/05/05 at 5:03 am

Forgive me if this has been done before... I'm new to this area of inthe00s.

Post here a song with lyrics with great meaning (even if the meaning only works for you). A song which instantly stands out lyrically... something aling those lines.

I'll post some later.

Subject: Re: Best Lyrics Ever

Written By: Red Ant on 05/05/05 at 6:26 am

A song that stands out for me is Queensryche's " The Real World " which is like track 4 I think off of " The Last Action Hero " soundtrack.

Written By: MadeInATL1981 on 05/05/05 at 7:44 pm

I say either:

"Heal The World" or "Earth Song" , both which are by Michael Jackson.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/06/05 at 12:02 am

Forgive me if this has been done before... I'm new to this area of inthe00s.

Post here a song with lyrics with great meaning (even if the meaning only works for you). A song which instantly stands out lyrically... something aling those lines.

I'll post some later.

I'll play!  (I always love these threads!)

Rock:  Timbuk 3: "A*cough*ssholes on Parade"
(Self-explanatory, it's the story of all our lives, isn't it? :)

Rock:  Timbuk 3: "Future's so bright"
(Because I had a job waitin' on my graduation.  Wasn't $50,000 a year, but it was close enough to buy a lotta beer.)

Rock:  Spinal Tap: "Hell Hole".
(Story about a poor guy in a drafty hellhole of an apartment who "rides a jet stream, hits the top, eatin' steak and lobster tails", realizes "the sauna's drafty, the food's too hot, the kitchen stinks of boiling snails", and decides that his hell hole wasn't so bad after all. :)

Synthpop/New Wave: Sigue Sigue Sputnik:  "M.A.D."
(Only Sputnik could sample "Dr. Strangelove" and various documentaries and end up making global thermonuclear war sound like good clean *fun*.  Writing lyrics like "Bomb again, bomb Japan, bomb Afghan- and Pakistan, Argentina and Iran" in 1989... calling four out of five targets over 20 years iis pretty cool :)

Pop/Top-40: Belle Stars, "(How are your plans going for) World Domination".
(Lyrics are the title - self-explanatory)

Pop/Alternative: Pop Will Eat Itself / PWEI, "Hit the High-Tech Groove"
(A good companion to "World Domination" :)
"You don't have to have integrity!
You don't have to have ability!
So listen kiddies, it's true what they say!
You don't need respectability!"

Industrial:  Front 242, "Headhunter"
(An all-time favorite since its 1989 release. Got the "Headhunter 2000" 2-CD remix set on the day I left an employer to a new one that paid double my previous job. You see, they were looking for this man...)

"Today he has no means, he's alone and anonymous.
  But written in his cells, he's got the marks of a genius.
  I'm looking for a man, to sell him to other man,

I'm looking for this man, to sell him to other man,
  To sell him to other man, at ten times his price at least.
  I'm looking for a man who knows the rules of the game,
  Who's able to forget them to realize my aim.

ONE, you lock the target, TWO, you bait the line, THREE, you slowly spread the net, and FOUR, you catch the man.")

Synthpop/Alternative:
MC 900 Foot Jesus, "If I Only Had a Brain".  (Starts with "Suppose I accidentally got my s*ahem*t together.", Like most of MC 900's stuff, simultaneously hilarious and yet deep.  I'll have to transcribe this in a separate post.  If you enjoyed "Truth is out of style", you'll love this one :)

Industrial: Clock DVA, "The Hacker". (from the album "Buried Dreams", lyric order varies depending on your remix)

Digital murder, programmed by mathematical terrorists, outside of moral boundaries
Silently hacking. A binary plague, severing information, an algebra of fear.
This is the time of the hacker. This is the code of the hacker. This is the hacker.

Within the language of machines, uninfringed my human emotions, within global systems.
Silently moving. Digital maze. Cutting information. This is the hacker.
This is the way of the hacker. This is the extremity - of the hacker. This is the hacker.
Protect now - or be erased - forever.

A binary virus, unleashed by subversive programmers, inside corporate systems.
Silently eating. The endemic wave. Erasing information.
This is the sign of the hacker. This is the genius - of the hacker. This is the hacker.
Learn now or be cut down.

(The lyrics are basically muttered into the mic by the singer, in a voice that's almost devoid of any emotion beyond gravelly determination. I grew up to this track in the headphones and brought it to work after graduation - multiple coding runs of 48-72 hours in duration, no sleep, nothing but pizza and caffeine. It's up-tempo enough that you *cannot* fall asleep with it on, but it's sufficiently ambient/nonintrusive that you can just mutter the lyrics to yourself all night without breaking concentration. Co-workers looked at me like I was from Mars (why not, I no doubt looked and smelled like it) by day 3.  But they couldn't argue with the results when we went live at 0630 after I checked the last tests in at 0400.  (The twisted bit is that that was the part of the job I *liked* :)

Check for new replies or respond here...