inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Orleans is Sinking, man, and I don't want to swim...

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/31/05 at 12:14 am

...but you've already seen the Tragically Hip's tragically-appropriate lyrics (but even if you have -- find yourself a copy of the 8:49 "Killer Whale Tank" version, recorded from a live performance, and you'll have the best version of that song ever recorded) posted to every 'blog and messageboard from here to what's left of Biloxi.  And you've seen Led Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks" posted along with it a dozen times.

So let's take those two as obviously-included on *everybody's* playlist today.

Having realized it was over when the levee failed this morning, and after spending the entire day blogging instead of working - having watched the floodwaters rise, more levees fail, and the sandbags not even dropped (not that, as  at least half a dozen hydrologists point out, anything short of teleporting an aircraft carrier into the breach would have made any difference), and finally having watched the looting break out as early as this afternoon, with even a few cops joining in, I've come home, had one too many beers, and have officially thrown up my hands in despair. 

So - on to the post-apocalypse. 

First: KMFDM with "Urban Monkey Warfare", from 2002's "Attak".

"...nothing at all is left to be said,
The flag's gone up and the dawn is red.

Headed down the hard way, concrete battleground
Urban monkey warfare, sabotage, underground, camouflage.
(Man, monkey, man, monkey, man, monkey man,
Monkey man, Monkey man, Monkey man -- Urban Guerilla!)"

Second in the mix, an obscure track from Canada, ca. 1990. 

Electronic Dream Factory: "Don't F*boing*k with me", featuring no lyrics, just a bunch of samples from Robocop against a synthesized backbeat. ("Your move." "Now move!", "I'm a desperate man!", "Don'tF*bloop*with me!", "This is BS!", "I'm a desperate man." "Now move!")

And third - a snippet from Front Line Assembly's "Search and Destroy", from 1994's "Millenium"...

"A victory must be won / All - is at stake
As the planet burns / there's - no escape

As the clouds broke through the blazing sky up above,
The aura of the moment / invasion from above.
The conflict still lay up ahead / where cowards fear to tread..."

It's going to be a long night.  If you were from, or still in, NOLA, and whether you're a refugee, a survivor, or one of the 99% of emergency, medical, Guard, military, and law enforcement personnel who haven't gone rogue -  good luck to you and yours.

For the rest of us who are lucky enough to have beer and Internet connectivity, and whose biggest worry is whether gas'll be $3.00 or $4.00 tomorrow - give thanks for your situation.

And when you've done that, fess up.  Dig around in the bottom of that collection and post the lyrics to the tracks that have squirmed their way onto your super-secret "It's the end of the world as we know it, and I _don't_ feel fine!" playlist.

Subject: Re: New Orleans is Sinking, man, and I don't want to swim...

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/02/05 at 4:27 pm

"Louisiana 1927"--Randy Newman

What has happened down here is the wind have changed
Clouds roll in from the north and it started to rain
Rained real hard and rained for a real long time
Six feet of water in the streets of Evangeline

The river rose all day
The river rose all night
Some people got lost in the flood
Some people got away alright
The river have busted through cleard down to Plaquemines
Six feet of water in the streets of Evangelne

CHORUS
Louisiana, Louisiana
They're tyrin' to wash us away
They're tryin' to wash us away
Louisiana, Louisiana

President Coolidge came down in a railroad train
With a little fat man with a note-pad in his hand
The President say, ";Little fat man isn't it a shame what the river has
done
To this poor crackers land.";

CHORUS

Check for new replies or respond here...