inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Monkees lyric question

Written By: karen on 09/19/05 at 6:10 am

In Daydream Believer they talk about someone being a "Homecoming Queen", what is one of those?

Subject: Re: Monkees lyric question

Written By: Gaylon on 09/19/05 at 12:18 pm

when I was in high school, one of the fall football games was designated as "Homecoming."
Although mainly for old alumni (especially for ten year reunions and such), the week before
we would elect a "Homecoming Queen" and she would be crowned during a half time of the game.

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/19/05 at 1:48 pm

when I was in high school, one of the fall football games was designated as "Homecoming."
Although mainly for old alumni (especially for ten year reunions and such), the week before
we would elect a "Homecoming Queen" and she would be crowned during a half time of the game.

I'm not from US of course, but I figured it had something to do with highschool reunions. If I'm not mistaken there's a scene in BTTF where Marty's mom is elected Homecoming Queen (but I better let Marty answer that one himself  ;)).

Written By: gemini on 09/19/05 at 8:37 pm

Try this link, Karen. I could explain it, but this made it much easier for me! BTW, my daughter just got her Homecoming dress last week. Hers is on Oct. 8.  :) 

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Homecoming+%28tradition%29&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1&linktext=Homecoming%20(tradition)

Written By: karen on 09/20/05 at 3:29 am

Thank you all for your explanations.

Check for new replies or respond here...