inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs based on other songs

Written By: Gaylon on 10/12/05 at 12:58 pm

This is more about the melody than the lyrics, but I was working a crossword the other day and the clue was "source for 'It's Now or Never' tune."
The answer was "O Sole Mio" which got me thinking about other songs that at least partly used other songs as their inspiration.

I know it cost George Harrison for "subconsciously" using the melody to "He's So Fine" for "My Sweet Lord"
    Neil Young admits the guitar part in "Mr. Soul" sounds a lot like "Satisfaction (but didn't realize it until someone else pointed it out to him)
    Dan Fogelberg used the 1812 Overture for "Same Old Lang Syne"

Anybody know any others?

Subject: Re: Songs based on other songs

Written By: PETER on 10/12/05 at 5:28 pm

Maybe I'm just hearing this but...'TWINKLE TWINKLE, LITTLE STAR' sounds a LOT like the ABC'S aLPHABET sONG????? :D :D :D :D :D

Written By: whistledog on 10/12/05 at 9:15 pm

Billy Ocean used the bridge in Roman Holliday's 1984 hit One Foot Back in Your Door for his 1988 hit Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car

One Foot Back in Your Door was written by Mutt Lange, and therefore gets co-writing credits on Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car

Written By: FaultyDog on 10/13/05 at 12:11 am

Robbie Williams' "Feel" contains an instrumental bridge that is similar to the one in "I will survive" by Gloria Gaynor. I recall him getting kind permission to use it.

Written By: whistledog on 10/13/05 at 12:28 am

I don't know whether to call this one a sample or a cover ... The 1988 Timelords hit Doctorin' the Tardis features a re-worked chorus from Gary Glitter's Rock and Roll (Part 1]) and was built around a sample of the theme from Dr. Who

Written By: karen on 10/13/05 at 4:23 am

Maybe I'm just hearing this but...'TWINKLE TWINKLE, LITTLE STAR' sounds a LOT like the ABC'S aLPHABET sONG????? :D :D :D :D :D

That's because it is the same tune.  It is easier to teach children new words to a familiar tune than to teach both at the same time.  Actually in the UK the alphabet is song to a totally different tune.

Written By: PETER on 10/20/05 at 6:37 pm

Not sure if others thought the same on this one...but
Just Give Me Some Kind Of Sign Girl...kinda sounds like: Come And Get Your Love..when they do the oh,a-oh part or after the chorus Just Give Me Some..etc...?? ??? 

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/20/05 at 6:51 pm

Heh! Never thought of that! (Damn... Now the tune is stuck in my head!  :-X)

Written By: basketball on 10/26/05 at 1:59 pm

Perry Como's "Till The End Of Time" is sung to the tune of something by Chopin.

Written By: saver on 10/27/05 at 3:05 pm

The song 'This old Man' is used by BARNEY THE DINOSAUR' to sing 'I Love You..You Love Me'... :)

Written By: teakdude on 10/28/05 at 1:25 pm

Listen to the last measure in each of the phrases in the "Jeopardy" theme song and tell me you can't help singing the lyrics to The Little Teapot Song - "......tip me over and spill me out"

Written By: saver on 10/28/05 at 7:40 pm

Listen to the last measure in each of the phrases in the "Jeopardy" theme song and tell me you can't help singing the lyrics to The Little Teapot Song - "......tip me over and spill me out"

I recall an early childrens song 'Ride a Cock Horse To Danbury Cross' that ended with: 'Round the corner...back..a.gain!'
That also sounded like the last notes of the Jeopardy song...I believe called"Tonys Theme' by Merv Griffin written for his son.

Written By: PETER on 11/16/05 at 9:49 pm

I just found another that sounds similar at the beginning:

(I don't know the titile but it is a female that sings something about 'Don't know why.......')

But it sounds JUST LIKE the Peanuts: 'Christmas time is here again...'song.

Someone will know what I mean..

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/16/05 at 10:51 pm

(I don't know the titile but it is a female that sings something about 'Don't know why.......')

Norah Jones? The Don't Know Why song?

Written By: zcrito on 11/17/05 at 2:34 am

Funny, but that's what I thought when I first heard that song.
???

Written By: Gwen on 11/17/05 at 2:14 pm

The Kinks Destroyer sounds like All Day and All of The Night. And they talk of Lola in it.

Written By: belladonna on 11/26/05 at 2:35 am

The Toys "A Lover's Concerto"  (How gentle is the rain, that falls softly on the meadow........) is based on a Bach minuet.

Written By: Paris Hilton is on Fire on 01/16/06 at 9:14 am

The beginning of Kabah's (Mexican pop group) song Esta Noche sounds similar to Kylie Minogue's Can't Get You Outta My Head.

I noticed some similarities between the beginning of Avril Lavigne's song, Losing Grip and Mexican singer, Fey's song Dime/Show Me.

Christina Milian used the melody from Rachel Stevens' song Glide for her (Christina Milian) song, I Need More.

The end of the 2gether song I Wanna Know Your Name sounds similar to Christina Aguilera's Love Will Find A Way.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/16/06 at 2:03 pm

Take Me Home Tonight by Eddie Money and Be My Baby by The Ronettes.

I actually never realized that reference was intentional until recently...

Written By: Cat on 01/16/06 at 4:35 pm

The first time I heard Jet's "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" I thought "holy sheez, that's the guitar riff from 'Lust for Life!'"

And I've always thought that Steely Dan's "Do It Again" sounds an awful lot like Santana, especially "Evil Ways."

Written By: Paris Hilton Is On Fire on 01/20/06 at 8:09 am

I just heard a song this morning by Bob Sinclair called Love Generation that uses the same flute-like section as Kabah's Una Ilusion.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/20/06 at 2:29 pm

Coldplay "Talk"=Kraftwerk "Computer People"
Flaming Lips "Fight Test"=Cat Stevens "Father & Son"
Vangelis "Chariots of Fire"= Ween "Japanese Cowboy"
The Strokes "Razor"=Barry Manilow "Mandy" ( :o i haven't heard this yet, but it has been confirmed by many reviews I have read)

Elvis "Little Sister"= The Residents "Baby Sister" (albeit bastardized into a funeral-tempo dirge)
USA For Africa "We Are the World"=The Residents "Just For You"

There are many satirical ripoffs directly poking fun at certain groups. The Rutles entire recorded output is a take on the Beatles. Weird Al Yankovic has included 1 or 2 original songs that can be construed as soundalike tributes to certain pop stars on most of his albums in addition to his parodies. They run the range from Oingo Boingo and Ben Folds to Zappa and The B-52s. 8)

Written By: Cat on 01/20/06 at 6:09 pm

Yeah, and don't forget his Devo homage, "Dare To Be Stupid."

Written By: Paris Hilton Is On Fire on 01/21/06 at 8:22 am

Also I noticed that the intros to Incbus' songs "Drive" and "11am" sound very similar.

Written By: Cat on 01/21/06 at 7:06 pm

Eh yeah, I used to be really into Incubus, now I just think they're mediocre.

But I remember those songs, and you're right.

Written By: Paris Hilton Is On Fire on 01/22/06 at 8:50 am

I always thought that Hoku's "How Do I Feel" sounds similar to Madonna's "Don't Tell Me."

I also realized that the end melody of B52's Rock Lobster and the entire melody of Junior Senior's "White Trash" sound alike.

Rihanna sampled Tainted Love in SOS.

Check for new replies or respond here...