inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nonmisrhymed Beatles Lyrics

Written By: Jim on 10/20/05 at 5:11 am

The following is taken from the website "Am I Right"
http://www.amiright.com/real/misartist/beatles.shtml

"The Beatles', "Girl"

"The Misrhymed Lyrics:

"She was told when she was young that pain would lead to pleasure,
Did she understand it when he said,
That a man must break his back to earn his day of leisure,
Will she still believe it when he's dead?

"Why They're Misrhymed:

"'Leisure' does not rhyme with 'pleasure.' It's stretched. It is also a coincidence between my pen name and the song.
Submitted by: ~*^Girl^*~"

The thing is that these two words don't rhyme in North American English where "leisure" rhymes with "seizure" but they do rhyme in other dialects.  Now, do you judge a British band's rhyming against the standards of North American English?  "Leisure" and "pleasure" rhyme perfectly in Scouse (the dialect spoken in Liverpool).  The words rhyme the way the Beatles sung them.  

http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?dict=CALD&key=71310&ph=on
http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=45492&dict=CALD
http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=60738&dict=CALD

It's kind of interesting how long this post has been on the page.

Subject: Re: Nonmisrhymed Beatles Lyrics

Written By: B&Q on 10/26/05 at 2:11 pm

More examples of submissions where people have said things don't rhyme that do where i come from:

Buggles', "Video Killed The Radio Star"
The Misrhymed Lyrics:
Im my mind and in my car
We can't rewind, we've gone too far!
Why They're Misrhymed:
Car and far don't rhyme!

Submitted by: sonikal

Tony Christie's, "Amarillo"
The Misrhymed Lyrics:
Is this the way to Amarillo?
Every night I've been hugging my pillow!
Why They're Misrhymed:
'Amarillo' and 'pillow' do not rhyme

Tony Christie's, "Amarillo"
The Misrhymed Lyrics:
When the day is dawning
On a Texas Sunday morning!
Why They're Misrhymed:
Dawning, morning! They just don't rhyme! They can't possibly rhyme! He is forcing them to rhyme, isn't that pretty stretching the rhyming! (So-called rhyming, as it just doesn't rhyme!) Though it's a great song - but he was lazy with rhyming!
Submitted by: Tarquin

Five's, "Keep On Movin?"
The Misrhymed Lyrics:
When the rainy days are dyin'
Gotta keep on, keep on tryin'
Why They're Misrhymed:
Dyin' and tryin' don't rhyme at all!!!!!!!!

{Ed's comment: They don't? I foncused now... :)]
Submitted by: Five

Sophie Ellis-Bextor's, "Get Over You"
The Misrhymed Lyrics:
You drive me crazy up the wall!
Think you're Mr Know-It-All!
Why They're Misrhymed:
Great song, but as wall and all don't even rhyme, at all, in any way whatsoever. Okay, it's obvious she is attempting 'em to rhyme, but they just don't. Stupid! Wall, all, wall, all, nope! Can't work out any rhyme in these two words. How on earth does she expect 'em to rhyme!

Monkees', "No Milk Today"
The Misrhymed Lyrics:
The bottle stands forlorn,
A symbol of the dawn
Why They're Misrhymed:
Even with the accent, that's pushing it.
Submitted by: Lomedhi

Nelly's, "My Palace"
The Misrhymed Lyrics:
Girl, when you laugh, and you cry, it?s together!
Though the rain and the stormiest weather!
Why They're Misrhymed:
Great song but how are Together and Weather supposed to rhyme?
Submitted by: Queen In Nelly

Nelly Furtado's, "Powerless (Say What You Want.)"
The Misrhymed Lyrics:
When this life is too short
To live it just for you
But when you feel so powerless
What are you going to do
Why They're Misrhymed:
Now this just a lame assed attempt at making two words that don't rhyme, rhyme.
You and do just don't rhyme and here she is attempting to make it rhyme.

Submitted by: Celeste

Noddy's, "Make Way For Noddy"
The Misrhymed Lyrics:
Make way for Noddy! (Noddy!)
Driving in his car!
Make way for Noddy! (Noddy!)
Toytown can't be far!
Why They're Misrhymed:
Car and far don't rhyme!

{Ed's comment: I gotta say this, they DO where I come from...]
Submitted by: R. Kelly

Phantom of the Opera's, "Think Of Me"
The Misrhymed Lyrics:
Think of all the things we've shared and seen
Don't think about the things which might have been.
Why They're Misrhymed:
Argh! 'Seen' and 'been' do not rhyme. They just don't. Not even the way Sarah Brightman sings them. Why do so many songwriters insist on doing this???
Submitted by: Carolee

Written By: karen on 10/27/05 at 3:27 am

To the person(s) who submitted the above examples.

car and far rhyme to many, many people.  Listen to how he sings the song not how you speak.

'rillo and pillow rhyme to many many people.

I'll accept that dawning and morning are not exact rhymes but they are so close as to be indistinguishable.

How can dyin' and tryin' not rhyme?  I'm with Ed on this one.

wall and all not rhyme.  Have you gone deaf or something?

and so on and so on.

BTW many people do not pronounce been as "bin", just because you do does not make the rest of the population wrong.  In fact it's consider the "common" or slang way to pronounce the word where I live.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/27/05 at 6:42 am

LOL !  I am the Editor responsible for misrhymed lyrics.  I have even done some parodies and therefore been responsible for some in a different way  :)

I have long since considered starting a thread about this, and given someone else now has, I will make my editing position clear.

To take the first example :

The thing is that these two words don't rhyme in North American English where "leisure" rhymes with "seizure" but they do rhyme in other dialects.  Now, do you judge a British band's rhyming against the standards of North American English?  "Leisure" and "pleasure" rhyme perfectly in Scouse (the dialect spoken in Liverpool).  The words rhyme the way the Beatles sung them.

The concept of "North American English" is just as amusing to me as "Australian English" or "New Zealand English" (the only people who have sex between five and seven  ;))...

There is simply English, and then there are dialects as you point out.  Leisure and pleasure rhyme perfectly where I come from as well, and I am half a world away from Merseyside.  Then again, I am just as accepting of leisure and seizure rhyming, because I understand that in North America, they do.

I could go on forever.  I say "can't" with a "carnt" sound rather than "can" with a T on the end.  On the other hand, I say "France" and "Plant" with an "an" sound (as in 'ran') instead of with an "ar" sound (Frarnce and plarnt).  Half the people in Australia say "Newcastle" with an "at" sound (New-cass-el) and half use an "ar" sound (New-car-stle).  I say "Coventry" with the same "o" sound as in "cop", but some people say it with a "u" sound as in the Ark of the "covenent" (Cuv-en-try).  There are four valid ways of saying "wrath" that I know of.  "Roth" - with an "o" sound as heard it "cot", "rarth" (with an "are" sound), "roarth" or "rath".  You can go on and on and on yet all are correct, or all are incorrect, depending on your level of tunnel vision  ;)

But to apply all of these variations strictly and assume that whatever yourself, as an individual, believes, without any consideration for variation in dialects and the effect they have on speech patterns - well, it's just asking for trouble  :o

So the basic rules I got by when editing misheard lyrics are these :

I do not approve submissions where the submitter points out specifically that it does not rhyme in America.  Comments such as "It may rhyme to the British but it doesn't rhyme here" are flawed on two fronts.  On one hand the submitter is admitting that it does rhyme somewhere else.  Secondly, 'here" ?  The 'www' in www.amiright.com stands for WORLD wide web... ;)  A peruse of of the misrhymed lyrics pages reveals a lot of "funny accent" type comments - from previous submitters.  All I will say to that is "by whose standard" ?  We ALL have funny accents.  I find it highly amusing that my best friend on this board pronounces Squirrel with one syllable !  To me, it sounds for all the world like "Squirl".  Doesn't make her wrong (even though I told her she was)  :P

Examples such as "been" and "seen" not rhyming rarely get past because as Karen has correctly pointed out, the pronunciation of "been" as "bin" is slang in my opinion as well.  Not saying that this makes it wrong.  As a striney type expression I may well say to a friend "How ya bin?".  But I know the word is "been".

The other examples of what do not get past are the dreaded "car" not rhyming with "far" argument.  They are from a certain repeat poster (by his own admission) - so now they all get wiped out.  As I said in another thread on the subject, I can put them in my circular file much faster than the submitter can submit them  :)

The other stuff that has been listed sometimes gets through with an Ed's comment, because it just seems too bizarre to be true.  Sometimes it is more fun that way.  :)

Written By: Paul on 10/27/05 at 7:00 am

The best one (to my mind) was Chris De B*rgh's 'Lady In Red'...

...okay, 'dance' and 'chance', I'll give him that...

...but sticking 'romarnce' in there...?!!

(And the song's crap too...!!)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/27/05 at 7:05 am

Agreed, specially the last sentiment  :D  Commercial BS at it's zenith  :)

Written By: Paul on 10/27/05 at 7:10 am

Agreed, specially the last sentiment  :D  Commercial BS at it's zenith  :)

Heh!

In which case, Luke ('specially as it's you...)

...I won't push you toward a certain Mr Gurvitz doing amazing things with 'classic', 'attic' and 'addict'...!!

(Oh, sorry! I just did...!!)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/27/05 at 7:25 am

Heh!

In which case, Luke ('specially as it's you...)

...I won't push you toward a certain Mr Gurvitz doing amazing things with 'classic', 'attic' and 'addict'...!!

(Oh, sorry! I just did...!!)

Hey Paul ! What a memory !  :o

Post it here then :

http://www.amiright.com/real/submitmis.shtml

and see if I approve it  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: karen on 10/27/05 at 8:14 am

But I would say romance. There is no second 'r' there.

Written By: Jim on 10/27/05 at 9:04 pm

"Dawning" and "morning" rhyme perfectly for me (being a speaker of a non-rhotic dialect) & for many many others as do "been" and "seen".  There are other good examples of this accent thing.  As for the others B&Q mentions, well, I guess the submitter has a rare accent, a hearing problem, doesn't know what a rhyme is, is lying or is simply nuts.

"But to apply all of these variations strictly and assume that whatever yourself, as an individual, believes, without any consideration for variation in dialects and the effect they have on speech patterns - well, it's just asking for trouble" you write, FussBudgetVanPelt.  I agree absolutely and I think that this is what's happening here.

Perhaps ~*^Girl^*~ (and others) posted her(their) comment(s) not without consideration of variation but without knowledge of it.  But once it's noticed that the claimed misrhyme is no misrhyme then shouldn't something be done?  Shouldn't it be done whether or not the poster acknowledges the variation or not?

Perhaps, as you suggest, FussBudgetVanPelt, it would be best to put it through with an Ed's comment, yeah, that could be more fun.  Otherwise, why not just remove it?

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/27/05 at 9:32 pm

But I would say romance. There is no second 'r' there.

You must have scared Paul off as he didn't submit it  ;D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/27/05 at 9:38 pm

"Dawning" and "morning" rhyme perfectly for me (being a speaker of a non-rhotic dialect) & for many many others as do "been" and "seen".  There are other good examples of this accent thing.  As for the others B&Q mentions, well, I guess the submitter has a rare accent, a hearing problem, doesn't know what a rhyme is, is lying or is simply nuts.

"But to apply all of these variations strictly and assume that whatever yourself, as an individual, believes, without any consideration for variation in dialects and the effect they have on speech patterns - well, it's just asking for trouble" you write, FussBudgetVanPelt.  I agree absolutely and I think that this is what's happening here.

Perhaps ~*^Girl^*~ (and others) posted her(their) comment(s) not without consideration of variation but without knowledge of it.  But once it's noticed that the claimed misrhyme is no misrhyme then shouldn't something be done?  Shouldn't it be done whether or not the poster acknowledges the variation or not?

Perhaps, as you suggest, FussBudgetVanPelt, it would be best to put it through with an Ed's comment, yeah, that could be more fun.  Otherwise, why not just remove it?

I meant to address this in my original message, Jim.

Currently, the editing process only allows me to accept, reject, or modify new entries.  I have no ability to change anything that is already on there (including the one mentioned in the second post where it erroneously claims "No Milk Today" was by The Monkees... :(

It is something that Chuck (site owner) is working on, but at the moment editors cannot make retrospective changes.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/28/05 at 7:58 am

I can understand the regional accent problems, but what planet are the rest of these idiots living on? :o

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/28/05 at 8:26 am

I can understand the regional accent problems, but what planet are the rest of these idiots living on? :o

You wouldn't BELIEVE how many submissions I throw out  :o  I sit there and try and work out how some of the things that get submitted couldn't rhyme...and I can't do it !

I can't make the words NOT rhyme  :o ;D ;D ;D

Written By: karen on 10/28/05 at 9:21 am

You wouldn't BELIEVE how many submissions I throw out  :o  I sit there and try and work out how some of the things that get submitted couldn't rhyme...and I can't do it !

I can't make the words NOT rhyme  :o ;D ;D ;D

Clearly you have the wrong 'funny accent'  ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/28/05 at 5:35 pm

Clearly you have the wrong 'funny accent'  ;)

That, or I don't talk goodly enough  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...