inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help!(Please)

Written By: Yukinon on 12/06/05 at 11:19 am

Hi ppl! I'm a Spanish student of Translating and Interpreting (it's a kind of MA) and I'm quite mad trying to translate Jamiroquai's "Space Cowboy" lyrics. Can/Could/Would anybody help me, PLIZ? I have to hand it in next week and I don't understand some f****** terms, such as the ones underlined ;). Are they some kind of slang terms or do they mean simply what they say?Would mind explaining them to me?

Space Cowboy

Everything is good, and brown
I'm here again
With a sunshine smile upon my face
My friends are close at hand
And all my inhibitions
Have disappeared without a trace
I'm glad that I found
Somebody who I can rely on.

This is the return of the space cowboy
Inter-planetary good vibe zone
At the speed of cheeba
You and I go deeper
Maybe I'm gonna have to get high
Just to get by.

You know I've got that, I got that cheeba-cheeba kind of space cowboy vibe

Everything is good, and green
Say, I'm red again
And I don't suppose I'm coming down
I can see clearly, so high in the sky
A man with psychedelic picture frames ---> What does frames means here?
Of happiness to shade his eyes
He's glad that he found
Somebody who he can rely on.

Thanks in advance to everybody!

Subject: Re: Help!(Please)

Written By: snozberries on 12/09/05 at 3:45 pm

I am just gonna go out on a limb here and I may be wrong but I am bored so here it goes.

The song is obviously about drugs and being high.

In the 70's drugs could be referred by their colors... I don't know if the same goes for Jamaroqui but reds were uppers like Amphetomines (check the spelling) so if someone was "red" they were on uppers and won't come down for a while.

I have no idea what brown or green mean again it could refer to brown bennies (whatever they are  ;D) also one of these may refer to grass, weed, blunt, reefer, maryjane, chronic, THC or marijuana (not bad for someone who's never smoked a joint huh?)

As far as the psychedelic picture frames  I think that is just a metaphor for seeing the world from a drugged out hazy perspective they are like shades or sunglasses shielding his perception of reality and he is happy because he is too high to know better.

of course this is just theoretical on my part

Subject: Help!(Please)

Written By: Yukinon on 12/11/05 at 4:57 am

UUUUUUUUUUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU'RE GREAT! - Yes, I know my English is quite childish...

Subject: Re: Help!(Please)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/05 at 5:05 am

I am just gonna go out on a limb here and I may be wrong but I am bored so here it goes.

The song is obviously about drugs and being high.

In the 70's drugs could be referred by their colors... I don't know if the same goes for Jamaroqui but reds were uppers like Amphetomines (check the spelling) so if someone was "red" they were on uppers and won't come down for a while.

I have no idea what brown or green mean again it could refer to brown bennies (whatever they are

Check for new replies or respond here...