inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'm stumped..

Written By: FaultyDog on 02/24/06 at 9:39 am

I was watching (Dutch) television at random today and I got stuck with this one channel - not because of the program, but because of the music. In the background they were playing 80s music (I'm sure about that) but I didn't recognize all of the songs. Still I was certain I'd heard them all before.
So I wrote down a few of the lyrics I caught of the song I didn't recognize in order to do a Google search (to refresh my memory). But the Google search came up empty. So either I got the lyrics wrong, or the lyrics aren't on the net.  :-\\

Here's what I thought I heard:

"the pain and the glory till Thy Kingdom come".

I know it ain't much, but can anyone help me?  ???

Subject: Re: I'm stumped..

Written By: FaultyDog on 02/26/06 at 1:00 am

Hi Henk:

Believe this is what you want:

Ultravox - Hymn Lyrics

Give us this day all that you showed me -
The power and the glory
till my kingdom comes.
Give us this day all that you showed me -
The power and the glory
till my kingdom comes.
Give me all the storybook told me
The faith and the glory
till my kingdom comes.
And they said that in our time all that's good will fall from
grace.
Even saints would turn their face in our time.
And they told us that in our days
Different words said in different ways
Have other meanings from he who says in out time:
Give us this day all that you showed me - . . .
And they said that in our time we would reap from their legacy

We would learn from what they had seen in our time.
And they told us that in our days
We would know what was high on high

We would follow and not defy in our time.
Give us this day all that you showed me - . . .
Faithless in faith
we must behold the things we see.
Give us this day all that you showed me . . .

Hope I'm right. (70sto80'sGUY). :D

I believe you are definitely right. Thanks!  :)

"Hymn" never was a hit single in The Netherlands, that's why I didn't recognize it straightaway.

Written By: FaultyDog on 02/27/06 at 11:55 am

Forgot to applaud you for your help, but I've set it straight. :)

Written By: NozmoKing on 03/01/06 at 11:22 pm

Great song!!!  I like a lot of stuff Midge Ure has done since the Ultravox days. Breathe stands out as a very good album.

NozmoKing

Written By: FaultyDog on 03/03/06 at 12:38 pm

And thankyou too for acknowledging me Henk. It gives me satisfaction to 'play detective' / use my brain to help people out, and like most people, I love praise. You are the first person in this forum 'who's rescue' I've been able to come to. Even though I know a fair bit of 70's/80's music, often the help required is on a song that's just TOO obscure, or else, so easy, just about every man and his dog can solve it. Frustratingly, a day or 2 before I helped you out, someone had posted on a song. I did some research, thought 'aha', this sounds promising, was just about to post (what turned out to be right), and some 'so and so' pipped me to the post ... like in the space of 15 minutes, an answer had come in. Anyway, it's nice to feel useful, and to help people who are polite, like yourself.

70sto80sGUY
8) :)

I know how frustrating it can be to KNOW the answer to a question, only to find out someone else has just beaten you to it. It has happened to me too, you know. I hope you don't feel discouraged by previous experiences. ;)

Written By: syrus on 06/22/06 at 3:51 pm

Thank you thread! Had this song in my head for the last 15 mins or so but couldn't think who it was by!

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/22/06 at 4:28 pm

I believe you are definitely right. Thanks!  :)

"Hymn" never was a hit single in The Netherlands, that's why I didn't recognize it straightaway.

That's not entirely true. The Ultravox version never was a hit, that's true - but there was a cover version by Music Instructor which hit #15 in 1996.

Check for new replies or respond here...