inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Unknown Lyrics or Artist

Written By: Jester519 on 02/26/06 at 10:16 pm

I'm hoping someone can lend a helping hand or mind here. I have been searching for the name of this song for quite a while now. Unfortunately, I am still searching. I believe the song to be late 70's or very early 80's. It's by a male group. If you are familiar with the song "My Maria" by B W Stephenson or Brooks & Dunn, you may be able to help me more. The song I am looking for is of moderate tempo. The chrous in My Maria, which says "My Mariiiiiiiiiiiii-iiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaa", has the sound from the line of the song which I am searching for. I always thought it to be somebody along the lines of Steve Miller, but I have exhausted all efforts in confirming this. There are no real dominating instruments in this piece. I wish I had a few of the lyrics. I don't even know the words to the portion that I am referring to that sounds like the My Maria song. So any help or input from anyone would be greatly appreciated. I am determined to find this song, someday. Thanks again!!

Subject: Re: Unknown Lyrics or Artist

Written By: ProsQtor on 02/26/06 at 10:47 pm

Could it be "Valerie" by Steve Winwood?  ???

Written By: Jester519 on 02/26/06 at 11:46 pm

Unfortunately, not. This has been suggested to me before. Thanks for the reply though :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/28/06 at 10:17 pm

The chrous in My Maria, which says "My Mariiiiiiiiiiiii-iiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaa", has the sound from the line of the song which I am searching for. I always thought it to be somebody along the lines of Steve Miller, but I have exhausted all efforts in confirming this. There are no real dominating instruments in this piece. I wish I had a few of the lyrics. I don't even know the words to the portion that I am referring to that sounds like the My Maria song. So any help or input from anyone would be greatly appreciated. I am determined to find this song, someday. Thanks again!!

Hmm.  How about (*real* long shot here) Donnie Iris, "Ah Leah"?

Guitar-based rock (kinda like Greg Kihn band), recorded 1980.  Vocals are male. Not exactly Steve Miller, but he could have sung this song and nobody would have blinked.

Often misheard as "Aliyah"\
http://www.amiright.com/misheard/artist/irisdonnie.shtml

Chorus and complete lyrics:
http://www.lyricsdownload.com/donnie-iris-ah--leah-lyrics.html

"Ah! Leah!  Here we go again!
Ah! Leah! Is it ever gonna end?
Ah! Leah! Here we go again!
Ah! Leah!"

It's pretty hard to mishear "Ah-Le-ahhhhhhhhhhh" as "Ma-ri-ahhhhhhhhhhhh", but we've *all* misheard some pretty interesting lyrics in our day.  And if Maria was special enough to make you mishear that lyric - congrats, and we don't blame ya.

Written By: NozmoKing on 03/01/06 at 11:16 pm

Ahhh...  Donnie Iris.  Changed the spelling of his last name when he started his solo career. When he was in the band "The Jaggerz" he spelled his name Irace. He is from Pittsburgh, PA. A little side note to that song, ALeah was recorded on three tracks and layerd over until they had 127 layers of vocals. Sort of the Phil Specter wall of sound type thing going on there.

But anyway, here is another long shot. How about Cara Mia, by Jay and the Americans??

NozmoKing

Check for new replies or respond here...