inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Unknown band/song

Written By: siempre on 03/03/06 at 12:18 am

There's a song that's been stuck in my head for forever, and I can't figure out what it is, and the chorus is the guy spelling out a word.. its like

S...K...A..T...R...A..T..R (hey hey?)

Can anyone help?

It definately is a punk-rock base, and its possibly british..  kinda ramones-esque, but I could be way off on that one.

Subject: Re: Unknown band/song

Written By: karen on 03/03/06 at 3:53 am

There is a song by The Cure called Fire in Cairo where he spells out the title.  Took me a while to work out what he said in that bit

Written By: FaultyDog on 03/03/06 at 10:53 am

There's a song that's been stuck in my head for forever, and I can't figure out what it is, and the chorus is the guy spelling out a word.. its like

S...K...A..T...R...A..T..R (hey hey?)

Can anyone help?

It definately is a punk-rock base, and its possibly british..  kinda ramones-esque, but I could be way off on that one.

I think I know what you're looking for.

It's Ska Train by Beatmasters from 1989 ("S. K. A. T. R. A. I. N. - Ska Train", and that's about the only lyrics).
Haven't heard that one in quite a while... Catchy tune, that one! :)

Written By: siempre on 03/04/06 at 12:41 am

Hate to break it to y'all, but neither of those are what I'm looking for.  First off, when they're spelling out whatever it is their spelling (I'm not even sure if I heard right) they're kinda shouting.  However, both of you have turned me on to very good songs. :)  Second of all, whatever they're spelling, they say two letters, then three letters and repeat those three letters, then say the last two.  Goes something like this:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Written By: Siempre on 03/04/06 at 11:48 pm

Ok, rewinding.  Again.

The numbers were just an explanation of how the letters sounded.  There are not actually numbers that he's saying.  Professionals, 123 - that ain't it.

(I'm still looking as well... its not like i'm making y'all do the dirty work.)

Written By: Siempre on 03/05/06 at 1:06 pm

This is starting to get rather frustrating.

I don't think it was on the list.  Its gonna take me a bit of time to go through and track down previews (thank you, iTunes) for each possiblity, but just browsing through the various lists I didn't find anything that jumped out at me screaming "OH GOD YES ITS ME!"

I also heard the song a while ago (read: about a month), so its possible that my recollection of the song isn't quite what it should be, but I'm absolutely confident that I would recognize it if I heard it again.

I'm still gonna sift through the list on a more in-depth basis, but I wanted to respond with some sort of speed.

(Also: I know its not fire in cairo because he's spelling much too fast.  It was a slower beat.)

Check for new replies or respond here...