inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Need Lyrics for Newcleus' Computer Age (Push The Button)

Written By: Red Ant on 05/03/06 at 6:52 am

Hey guys and gals

The song Computer Age (Push The Button) was done by Newcleus in 1984. It is an old school rap/dance tune. Anyway, I have searched high and low for any lyrics to this song, but have come up empty. I can understand most of the words, but the synthed-over parts escape me.

If anyone can find lyrics for this song and post a link (or the lyrics) here I'd appreciate it.

Subject: Re: Need Lyrics for Newcleus' Computer Age (Push The Button)

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/05/06 at 9:31 pm

I'll take a stab at it!  (In the early '80s, the only thing most nontechnical people "knew" about computers is that they were going to "take over the world".  By 1984, enough people had their own computers that they'd learned how to make music using them - and they'd also figured that computers were also worth writing songs about.  As an embryonic geek in '84, I was kinda looking _forward_ to sentient computers taking over the world.  Did my geeky heart good to hear this song, even if artificial intelligence proved to be a hell of a lot harder than anyone -- even the people at MIT -- imagined.  :)

Lyrics:  Newcleus, Computer Age ("Push the Button"), ca. 1984

(Vocoder background: "Are we under their control or are they under our control or what?")

Computer age is now,
Everyone must have a machine,
They say it

Subject: Re: Need Lyrics for Newcleus' Computer Age (Push The Button)

Written By: Red Ant on 06/24/06 at 12:05 am

Thanks much Foo Bar! I've listened to this song countless times, and have some ideas for blanks (in red)

I'll take a stab at it!  (In the early '80s, the only thing most nontechnical people "knew" about computers is that they were going to "take over the world".   By 1984, enough people had their own computers that they'd learned how to make music using them - and they'd also figured that computers were also worth writing songs about.  As an embryonic geek in '84, I was kinda looking _forward_ to sentient computers taking over the world.   Did my geeky heart good to hear this song, even if artificial intelligence proved to be a hell of a lot harder than anyone -- even the people at MIT -- imagined.  :)

Lyrics:  Newcleus, Computer Age ("Push the Button"), ca. 1984

Push the button

(Vocoder background: "Are we under their control or are they under our control or what?") (x2)

Push the button

Computer age is now,
Everyone must have a machine,
They say it

Check for new replies or respond here...