inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone have any idea what song this is?

Written By: Ed216 on 05/06/06 at 10:33 pm

First, let me say this is great finding a forum about song lyrics! What fun. I can learn something new all the time. :)

I hope someone can help me with a song that I've wondered about for a long time. It's from back in the 80s, I don't remember exactly, I would say the period was from about 86-89. I can only remember a few lyrics though. The ones I remember are:
You will run your time, a shooting star across the sky. Another line went something like, Behind you, through the door another runner is born, or something like that. I hope that helps.
The weird thing is, I remember where I live, I think the song was being played pretty regularly on a local radio station for about a month or two, but whenever it was played, the deejay would never ever give the name of the song or who it was by! So I never found out anything about it, I never really liked the song personally, but I thought the lyrics were kind of interesting, and then I never heard what the song titlle was or who sang it, and it's always kind of bugged me. I will say, I always thought maybe it was by the rock group Asia. Because the style of the music and the lyrics sounded something like Asia would have done. And I thought the singer's voice kind of sounded like the lead singer of Asia, but of course like I said I never found out anything about it. That's all, if anyone can tell me anything that would be great! Thanks.

Ed.

Subject: Re: Does anyone have any idea what song this is?

Written By: whistledog on 05/06/06 at 11:27 pm

The song you are looking for is called "The Runner" by Manfred Mann's Earth Band.  It was a US Top 40 hit in 1984, and was a cover song.  It was originally a Canadian hit for Ian Thomas in 1981 :)

Written By: Ed216 on 05/07/06 at 7:33 pm

1984, Really? I could have sworn it was later than that, but it's been such a long time and you know how the memory goes. That was my sophomore year in high school, wow. But thanks man, I really appreciate it. Now if I ever hear that song again, at least I'll know what it is even though I never really liked it!

Written By: cambrian on 06/01/06 at 3:22 pm

Yes, go that record, I recall first hearing it in late '83.

Written By: whistledog on 06/05/06 at 1:12 am

'The Runner' appearars on the US release of Manfred Mann's album Somewhere in Afrika.  This album was originally a european release in 1982/1983.  When the album was distributed to America in 1984, 'The Runner' was included due to it's uimmense popularity as a single only release.  The song also appears in the 1984 film 'The Philadelphia Experiment'

http://www.manfredmann.co.uk/images/covers/africa.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...