inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone know this 70s tune?

Written By: cambrian on 06/01/06 at 3:06 pm

"yeaaah, feels like we're rollin...., rollin down.. Cant you see? Put your wheels in motion, desert crime in the ocean....hate people every night who set us free" :-\\

I just unearthed and repaired my father's old cassette tapes that I remember hearing all the time when I was young. He would have recorded this gem off of free form Detroit rock station WABX sometime in 1978. The song has got some soulfoul sounding synth rifts that were signature of 70s rock jazz music, that I just love.

The lyrics above may be off a little, that's the best I could decipher them.

Subject: Re: Anyone know this 70s tune?

Written By: Yeehaw Junction on 06/02/06 at 12:06 pm

It sounds like the ending to Supertramp---Goodbye Stranger.

Written By: cambrian on 06/02/06 at 10:33 pm

It sounds like the ending to Supertramp---Goodbye Stranger.

Yes, I know that song, a good one. This song's singer I'm alking about though has a deeper voice, almost like the singer for the Doobie Brother's prior to Michael McDonald.

Written By: Claybricks on 06/04/06 at 6:01 pm

http://i12.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/ab/61/e3_1.JPG

I found this song but don't know if it's correct...

Artist: Any Trouble

Song: Wheels In Motion

Album: Wheels In Motion

Year: 1981

song clip...

http://www.emusic.com/samples/m3u/song/10892487/13744326.m3u

http://www.emusic.com/album/10892/10892487.html

Review by Brett Hartenbach, All Music Guide

Any Trouble's 1980 debut was a wonderful slice of new wave flavored pub/pop/rock, which despite a fair amount of critical buzz, never really delivered on its commercial promise. With its second release, 1981's Wheels in Motion, produced by Mike Howlett (A Flock of Seagulls, Berlin), the band took a slightly more sophisticated, studio approach with singer/songwriter Clive Gregson's songs, veering away from the breakneck, live energy of Where Are All the Nice Girls?, which for the most part simply captured their feverish stage act in a studio setting. Still, whatever spark Wheels in Motion may lack is negligible thanks to the caliber of the material here. A handful of first-rate Gregson originals kick-start the proceedings, including the cautionary, albeit hopeful opener, "Trouble With Love," the irresistible power pop of "Open Fire" and the infectious rocker, "As Lovers Do." Several cuts in, the deliberate "Eastern Promise" is nearly as good, while "Power Cut" ranks just a rung below. Elsewhere, Richard Thompson's "Dimming of the Day," the only non-Gregson original, is given a slick, but affecting treatment. Moments of heavy-handed cynicism, as on the otherwise terrific, "Walking in Chains," as well as a couple of lackluster tracks drag things down to some extent, but still Wheels in Motion's highlights rank with the best work of Clive Gregson's career, both with and without Any Trouble.

http://www.emusic.com/album/10892/10892487.html

The record is for sale on ebay and probably at www.gemm.com

Regarding WABX, check out this site!

Go to top of page for alphbetical listings of bands. After clicking on a letter, click on the band...click on audio or discography located on the right side.

Dan

Written By: cambrian on 06/04/06 at 7:35 pm

Thanx! I'll take a listen when I get to a PC with speakers. Although I don't think that would be it. In 1981 when that LP was released we were living outside of Sault Sainte Marie, a long ways away from WABX's singnal. I'll get an audio clip of that tune posted on here ASAP.

Written By: vic on 06/05/06 at 5:31 am

Or any chance  it could be  Red Streamliner by Little Feat?  (1977)

Red streamliner rollin'
rollin' down the track the things you see
With your wheels in motion through desert, mountain, ocean
I hear you every night, is it a dream?

Red streamliner rollin' down, comin' down on me
Red streamliner rollin', rollin' long so free
Your past keeps comin' back on me
To far and near, away from here

Where people move a mile a minute
This hurricane livin' with you and me in it
Long into the night, that whistle offers light

Red streamliner rollin'
I wish you'd tell me 'bout the things you see
I'm lookin', lookin' down the tracks you ride
Knowin' that they're your only guide
I see them every night, is it a dream?
And when the sidewalks roll up at night
Just as stations pass by

Once the leader of the wild, wild west
Hurricane livin' been a lifelong song
Now you're cast of steel and cast aside
Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

vic

Written By: Claybricks on 06/05/06 at 9:18 am

Here's a song clip to go along with Vic's lyrics....

Little Feat - Red Streamliner

Time Loves A Hero

http://sg1.allmusic.com/cg/smp.dll?link=uoz9jc3m18eds99ee7oskaw&r=20.asx

Hotcakes & Outtakes: 30 Years of Little Feat

http://sg1.allmusic.com/cg/smp.dll?link=g8p19e02smft7wakb5x4im9&r=20.asx

The song is available on the following CDs

Time Loves A Hero {1977}

Hoy-Hoy!

Hotcakes & Outtakes: 30 Years of Little Feat

Looks like Vic nailed this song! - Dan

Written By: cambrian on 06/06/06 at 5:28 am

Little Feat's Red Streamliner. That's it! Claybricks you are the ultimate song lyric guru! How do I award a Karma point? I don't think I can now as I don't have enough posts under my belt yet. But, boy U sure deserve it! ;)

I've got lotsa unidentified songs left on those tapes, so I'll be back with more puzzlers!

Written By: cambrian on 06/06/06 at 5:32 am

Props to Vic too!  ;D

Written By: karen on 06/06/06 at 5:34 am

Little Feat's Red Streamliner. That's it! Claybricks you are the ultimate song lyric guru! How do I award a Karma point? I don't think I can now as I don't have enough posts under my belt yet. But, boy U sure deserve it! ;)

I've got lotsa unidentified songs left on those tapes, so I'll be back with more puzzlers!

You need to have a hundred posts before you can award a point.  I'll do it on your behalf.

Written By: Claybricks on 06/06/06 at 10:29 pm

Actually, Vic Ferri answered your song question. I emailed Vic to tell him about the WABX music site and I asked him about your song. He correctly identified the song. All I did was post some song clips. Vic is the best Music Expert on the net!

Dan

Check for new replies or respond here...