inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Reaganomics / Ray-gun-omics (Project Future, 1983)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/07/06 at 10:43 pm

In response to this message, I've rediscovered an old Mantronix spinoff, Project Future.

Unfortunately, I only have a 2:45 edit, which fades out around the third verse.  No matter how high I turn the amp, I've got nothing after the third line of that last verse.  Anyone with the 12? care to finish this one off?

RAY-GUN-OMICS - 1983 - PROJECT FUTURE

Reaganomics
More Atomics
High inflation
And taxation

Don't yield to temptation,
Crime comes from inflation,
Not just in this nation,
It's a world situation

Chorus I:
Reaganomics (high inflation)
More atomics (and taxation)
High inflation (Reaganomics)
And taxation (more atomics)

Time keeps on changing
Always rearranging
Politicians are aging
What price are we paying?

Chorus II:

In time, revolution
Bring up? the ?pollution?
There is a solution?
(and I'm faded out way before I can finish this verse, let alone the track).

Subject: Re: Reaganomics / Ray-gun-omics (Project Future, 1983)

Written By: djtonysinclair on 07/04/07 at 10:12 pm

In response to this message, I've rediscovered an old Mantronix spinoff, Project Future.

Unfortunately, I only have a 2:45 edit, which fades out around the third verse.  No matter how high I turn the amp, I've got nothing after the third line of that last verse.  Anyone with the 12? care to finish this one off?

Reaganomics
More Atomics
High inflation
And taxation

Not just in this nation,
It's a world situation

Chorus I:

Time keeps on changing
Always rearranging
Politicians are aging

Chorus II:

In time, revolution
There is a solution?
i've just done a remix on it (well more like a Dj friendly extended mix) if you hit me back i'll go play the last part for you or evan send you the Mp3!

Reaganomics
More Atomics
High inflation
And taxation

Not just in this nation,
It's a world situation

Chorus I:

Time keeps on changing
Always rearranging
Politicians are aging

Chorus II:

In time, revolution
There is a solution?

Written By: audiotron1004 on 06/27/12 at 5:16 pm

Hi there foo bar,

This has been one of my all time favourite electro tracks of all time.  I read your messsge and listened to the track on youtube. (6:23 version), as your track fades the lyrics continue to say "there is one solution! The global institution". After this there is a long time of repeating the ray gun omics chorus in the two versions then some scratxhing and finally the "time keeps on changing always rearranging verse then fade out.  Check it out on you tube?

Regards audiotron1003 :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/27/12 at 11:36 pm

Hi there foo bar,

This has been one of my all time favourite electro tracks of all time.  I read your messsge and listened to the track on youtube. (6:23 version), as your track fades the lyrics continue to say "there is one solution! The global institution". After this there is a long time of repeating the ray gun omics chorus in the two versions then some scratxhing and finally the "time keeps on changing always rearranging verse then fade out.  Check it out on you tube?

Regards audiotron1003 :)

Nailed it!  My 2:45 edit is actually the tail end of this 6:40 12", but it fades out a little earlier.  Too much earlier.  (LOL, and while googling around, now I know why it faded out when I did -- I'd bet my 2:45 edit originated from that vinyl.)

gC9eFE9mfdg

Here's the 12" (and another recording of the 12" of Project Future, Ray-Gun-Omics with the record label info in view), and starting at 2:40-3:00, the last verse is pretty clear:

In time, revolution
There is one solution,
A global institution.

If you're with me on "Bring up the pollution", we just may be able to call this one done.  (While we're at it, what's everyone's call on "It's {a/the} {world/world's} situation" in the first verse at 0:40-1:00?  Upon re-listening, I realize I'm not 100% sure on that line either.)

I'm actually kind of proud/embarassed to see that of the two or three sites that have quoted lyrics to this song, they've replicated my question marks or sourced one of our board's threads about the track.  Huge karma to audiotron1003/audiotron1004, who may have just solved this for the entire Internet.

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 08/14/12 at 4:23 am

Always glad to see readers not let facts get in the way of their opinions.  ;)

Carter left Reagan a hitherto-unknown event in US history, "stagflation" -- the combination of high inflation, running into double digits, and high unemployment, at recession levels.

Reagan initiated huge tax *cuts*, and within two years or so, unemployment was back to levels of a healthy economy that we would wish for today, and inflation was down from the Carter-era record of 13.4% from 1979-1980, to around 3-4% during the early 80s. Source: http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

The stock market (Dow), which had fallen 30% during Carter's term, responded to those Reganomics you attack by starting an 18-year boom, with the usual brief hiccups (nothing like today's prolonged malaise in housing, jobs, etc.) When Reagan left office, the Dow had tripled from when he took office. Source: http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/historical/djia1900.html

If you want the actual facts of the economic history of the US, done as a parody of "American Pie",
http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/donmclean152.shtml

Otherwise, by all means don't let facts get in the way of your enjoyment of the "Project" in question. Campaign mud slinging and what passes for "newscasting" these days is a much easier way to form your opinions than to look at the actual historical facts.

Cheers,
Tommy Turtle, MBA

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/14/12 at 10:18 pm

Always glad to see readers not let facts get in the way of their opinions.  ;)

LOL, don't confuse enjoying a track with an endorsement of the artist's politics.  (We've got a whole sub-board for that stuff, and if you can find our Worst President Ever thread, I forget whether I went with Carter or Dubya...) 

At the time the track came out, the economy was barely getting off its feet from the 81-82 recession, and we're talking about early hip-hop/electro, which isn't exactly a genre whose ranks were packed with Young Republicans.  I think the best we could do was try to pretend this parody wasn't a joke about us :)

But I digress.  The real issue here is that vocoders were so cool that sometimes it took 30 years to figure out the lyrics, so just think of this thread as my way of winning one for the Gipper.  (And karma for the parody!)

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 08/15/12 at 4:17 am

Thanks for the clarification! (and for reading that massive thesis-disguised-as-parody, lol)

Karma for a reasoned response where, TBPH, I half-expected a flame reply, as so often happens at political parodies or discussions.  (sigh  :( )

Check for new replies or respond here...