inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Metallica (?) instrumental -- Need song ID

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 06/14/07 at 8:50 pm

I hear this song a lot on my local rock radio station, and I am pretty sure it's Metallica.

The chord progression is similar to "The House of the Rising Sun" and the song in question sounds very similar to Frigid Pink's cover of the latter song. The chords are Am, C, D, and F, but the guitar sounds like it was tuned down 1/2 step.

It's moderately fast, has Kirk Hammett soloing like a madman, James pounding out these four chords throughout the whole song, and ends with a string section without accompaniment. Does anybody know this song? What's it called? Is it Metallica?  :-\\

Thanks for all your help.  :)

Subject: Re: Metallica (?) instrumental -- Need song ID

Written By: La Roche on 06/14/07 at 9:12 pm

One would assume it's The Ecstasy of Gold. That was originally a Sergio Leone piece that Metallica took and used at live gigs, recently I've heard it on the radio a lot as well but in a different manner. I believe they've re-done it for the new album coming out some time this year.

Buy the new album - Support Metallica - Give them another chance!!!

Written By: Red Ant on 06/14/07 at 11:36 pm

The song could be The Call of Ktulu - aside from the intro, which is very cool, there is the same four chords throughout (in ascending order as you mention) most of the rest of the song.

Metallica still owes me 20$ from St. Anger, so I will more than likely Limewire anything from their new album - there's no freakin' way I'll shell out another cent for Metallica's music until the album after this upcoming one.

Written By: La Roche on 06/15/07 at 11:56 am

The song could be The Call of Ktulu - aside from the intro, which is very cool, there is the same four chords throughout (in ascending order as you mention) most of the rest of the song.

Metallica still owes me 20$ from St. Anger, so I will more than likely Limewire anything from their new album - there's no freakin' way I'll shell out another cent for Metallica's music until the album after this upcoming one.

Might be Ktulu, but does that have a string section at the end? I'll have to check.

I doubt the new Metallica album will be as good as United Abominations.. Megadeth are leaps and bounds ahead now, but with Rick Rubin producing and with the guarantee of them letting Hammett do what he wants, it'll be good.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/15/07 at 11:11 pm

Might be Ktulu, but does that have a string section at the end? I'll have to check.

The S&M version probably does, but the original didn't.

I doubt the new Metallica album will be as good as United Abominations.. Megadeth are leaps and bounds ahead now, but with Rick Rubin producing and with the guarantee of them letting Hammett do what he wants, it'll be good.

Letting Hammett solo again is a good start. Rob Rock being out of the picture is better. If Lars returns to a drum set vs trash cans and James actually pens and sings/screams-in-key some decent lyrics, it could be their best album since Metallica. That said, I don't hold me breath waiting for any such things to happen.

Written By: La Roche on 06/16/07 at 3:36 pm

The S&M version probably does, but the original didn't.

Letting Hammett solo again is a good start. Rob Rock being out of the picture is better. If Lars returns to a drum set vs trash cans and James actually pens and sings/screams-in-key some decent lyrics, it could be their best album since Metallica. That said, I don't hold me breath waiting for any such things to happen.

Bob is my cousin, but he's a total prick and I'm glad he's not working with them anymore.

Letting Hammett solo is the best thing they could do.. and letting James actually play how he wants, just down-riffing is a great plan.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 06/16/07 at 4:16 pm

One would assume it's The Ecstasy of Gold. That was originally a Sergio Leone piece that Metallica took and used at live gigs, recently I've heard it on the radio a lot as well but in a different manner. I believe they've re-done it for the new album coming out some time this year.

That's it! Thank you, you've been a big help!  :) Now I have a song to use for the epic final battle in my "Morphin Power Rangers" movie.  8)

Written By: La Roche on 06/16/07 at 4:17 pm

That's it! Thank you, you've been a big help!  :) Now I have a song to use for the epic final battle in my "Morphin Power Rangers" movie.  8)

No worries.

Written By: holicman on 06/18/07 at 1:06 am

It might be "To live is to die ??

Check for new replies or respond here...