inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Need Help with the Theme From M*A*S*H (Suicide is Painless)

Written By: Red Ant on 09/02/07 at 8:14 pm

Hey all!

Normally I have enough information to fill in the blanks: this is one case where I have too much and it's confusing me!

Every lyrics site for "Suicide Is Painless" lists 6 verses and choruses. Every copy I have found of this song has only 4 verses, omitting the 2nd and 4th verses. Here are the complete lyrics I found:

Through early morning fog I see
visions of the things to be
the pains that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see...

:
that suicide is painless
it brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please.

I try to find a way to make
all our little joys relate
without that ever-present hate
but now I know that it's too late

The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card I'll someday lay
so this is all I have to say.

The only way to win is cheat
And lay it down before I'm beat
and to another give my seat
for that's the only painless feat.

The sword of time will pierce our skins
It doesn't hurt when it begins
But as it works its way on in
The pain grows stronger...watch it grin

A brave man once requested me
to answer questions that are key
is it to be or not to be
and I replied 'oh why ask me?'

...and you can do the same thing if you please.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Verses in teal are the ones not in the recordings.

As far as I know, the TV show only used a brief instrumental version. The 1970 movie is supposed to have the full version.

Questions:

Where does the 4 verse version come from?
I assume since every site lists a six verse version that it exists. When was the full version used?
Who actually performed this song? I know who wrote the lyrics and instruments, but can't find the singer.

Also, if anyone has a copy of this song (or knows where to find one) with all six verses, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Ant

Subject: Re: Need Help with the Theme From M*A*S*H (Suicide is Painless)

Written By: wildcard on 09/02/07 at 10:13 pm

does this help? http://www.cfhf.net/lyrics/mash.htm

Written By: Red Ant on 09/02/07 at 10:41 pm

does this help? http://www.cfhf.net/lyrics/mash.htm

Yes, a bit. Thanks Ann, karma to you.

"These lyrics were used in the original movie and, I've been told, in the final episode of the show.  The song was sung in the movie by Kenny Primus."

That answers two of my questions. I still have no idea where this ever present abbreviated version came from (or who sung that) and I desperately need a copy of the full length version.

I checked amazon.com and according to the reviews, the full song is on the movie soundtrack, but is of such terrible quality to make it nearly useless (the volume apparently fades out half way through).

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 09/02/07 at 11:30 pm

In 1992, the Welsh rock group Manic Street Preachers had a hit with it.  Sites with lyrics for their version list those lyrics as being in the song, but they aren't heard in the song at all, so now I am confused as to where those lyrics came from LOL 

On the subject though, the Manic Street Preachers version of this song was genius.  A fantastic alt rock version! 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjhI9na-IMs

Written By: karen on 09/04/07 at 9:36 am

I checked amazon.com and according to the reviews, the full song is on the movie soundtrack, but is of such terrible quality to make it nearly useless (the volume apparently fades out half way through).

Ant

If you read some more of those reviews someone mentions something about the different versions.

"By  Tom Benton (North Springfield, VT USA) - See all my reviews

Well, it could've been better than this, but the CD version of Johnny Mandel's "M*A*S*H" score is still better than the original LP release (which didn't even include the full, un-edited version of "Suicide is Painless"!). It's an average CD, but nearly all the songs contain audio clips from the film with the music merely as background audio - which I disapprove of. At least they've decided to keep in some un-edited songs like "Suicide is Painless" and the Ahmad Jamal version of that song. Good for M*A*S*H fans; for anyone else, I wouldn't recommend it."

To me it implies that the LP version is the four verse version you mention.

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/04/07 at 9:44 am

"Suicide is painless" ? Who came up with that crock!  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Surely it depends on the method!  :-\\

I mean .. if I WERE to slide down that 10 foot razor blade ... using my balls as brakes (the 'definition of agony'!)  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Well, I think I might feel just a little pain  ;)  ... and would be slightly surprised if I lived to tell the tale  :o

(albeit .... in a very high voice!  :\'( :\'( :\'().

:D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/07 at 9:47 am

"Suicide is painless" ? Who came up with that crock!  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Surely it depends on the method!  :-\\

I mean .. if I WERE to slide down that 10 foot razor blade ... using my balls as brakes (the 'definition of agony'!)  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Well, I think I might feel just a little pain  ;)  ... and would be slightly surprised if I lived to tell the tale  :o

(albeit .... in a very high voice!  :\'( :\'( :\'().

If pain is felt when committing suicide, then how do we know if it is painfull or not when the person is unable to tell us.

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/04/07 at 9:49 am

If pain is felt when committing suicide, then how do we know if it is painfull or not when the person is unable to tell us.

Exactly! Exactly!  ;D

Karma + 1

Written By: Red Ant on 09/04/07 at 12:07 pm

Thanks all for the help. About the lyrics, I believe they were an allegory for withdrawing from the war rather than a person killing himself.

Most attempts are not successful, therefore it would be rather easy for the survivor to tell of the pain (or lack thereof).

Ant

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/04/07 at 12:55 pm

Totally off topic but a true story: A man struck up a conversation with me once and said "I committed suicide once" and I said, you mean you tried, and he said "No, I succeeded". :D  I said "Well, nice talking to you, I think I left my cat in the clothes dryer - gotta go. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...