inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sampling: Voice samples in music

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/02/08 at 11:31 pm

In the 1980s pop music artists started using "samples" in their music.  Samples in this context are excerpts of sounds or speech from other media, such as films, television programs, political speeches, as well as other pieces of music.  These are most prevalent in industrial, electronica, and hip-hop, but some rock and pop groups use them as well.

Examples:

"What were the skies like when you were young? They ran on forever. They... When I... We lived in Arizona and the skies always had little fluffy clouds in them. And uh... They were long and clear and there were lots of stars at night. And uh... When it would rain it would all turn... It... They were beautiful, the most beautiful skies as a matter of fact. Uh... The sunsets were purple and red and yellow and on fire and the clouds would catch the colors everywhere. That's neat 'cause I used to look at them all the time when I was little. You don't see that. ...You might still see it in the desert. "
--The Orb, "Little Fluffy Clouds," 1991.  Source: Rickie Lee Jones being interviewed on PBS

"You'll forgive me if I don't stay around to watch. I just can't cope with the freaky stuff... "
--Skinny Puppy, "Draining Faces," 1985.  Source: Actor Leslie Carlson in David Cronenberg's "Videodrome."

"Like it or not, we live in times of danger and uncertainty."
--Ani DiFranco, "Joyful Girl (Danger and Uncertainty Mix" 1996. Source: Ted Kennedy at RFK's eulogy, 1968.

"Did you know, Putnam, more people are murdered at ninety two degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once - lower temperatures people are easy-going, over ninety two it's too hot to move, but just ninety two, people get irritable!"
--Siouxsie and the Banshees, "92 Degrees," 1986. Source: Actor Charles Drake (as Sheriff Matt Warren) in the film "It Came from Outer Space," 1953.

"They said I was a hippie; I wasn't a hippie, I was a beatnik!"
--Cabaret Voltaire, "Whip Blow" 1985  Source: Charles Manson

"What's the matter Eddie, does it frighten you?
Does it frighten me? No, Frank, I think 'startled' is a better word."
--Ministry, "Just Like You," 1985  Source: (No clue, I wish somebody could tell me!)

Of course, artists have been adding "samples" to the mix at dating back at least to the 1960s.  Songs such as the Beatles' "I Am the Walrus" and "7 O'Clock News/Silent Night" by Simon and Garfunkel used tapes from other sources, they just weren't called "samples."  The concept itself goes back to 1948 when Pierre Schaeffer developed musique concrete method with reel-to-reel tape.  Some music wonks would argue the earliest ancester of sampling was the Futurist Luigi Russolo in the 1910s (I don't, I say it's Pierre Schaeffer). 

The problem with sampling is the artists rarely credit the source leaving the listener wondering where it came from.

What are your favorite samples? Do you know their sources?  If not, maybe somebody else does.  That's what this thread is all about!

???

Subject: Re: Sampling: Voice samples in music

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/03/08 at 2:48 am

I am not a fan of sampling in music. It just seems like there's a lack of creative songwriting on one's own, it seem's so unoriginal. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like they slip in some other person's lyrics into their song to fill in the gaps. There's a song that samples The Police "Every Breath I Take"  but now i can't remember if it's Sting or the samplers singing his song  ??? 

one nice piece of sampling that I do like is at the beginning of the song "Civil War" by Gun's N' Roses with the speech by the warden in the movie Cool Hand Luke...

"What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men"

Written By: KKay on 01/03/08 at 7:41 am

In "Screen Kiss" by Thomas Dolby actor Ed Asner says, "murder".

I don't mind sampling, as long as the artists agree and it's used to complliment not to make fun of someone.

Written By: Henk on 01/03/08 at 12:31 pm

"You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything.(...). Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you? You just put your lips together and... blow."

From: To Have and Have Not (1944), starring Humphrey Bogart & Lauren Bacall.

This quote was used by Les Adams in his 1988 song "Check This Out" (under his alias L.A. Mix). Quote starts after 1:05. Note: The video is not the actual video.

The song features numerous other samples & quotes, btw...Feel free to name 'em.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/03/08 at 6:43 pm

I am not a fan of sampling in music. It just seems like there's a lack of creative songwriting on one's own, it seem's so unoriginal. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like they slip in some other person's lyrics into their song to fill in the gaps. There's a song that samples The Police "Every Breath I Take"   but now i can't remember if it's Sting or the samplers singing his song  ???   

It depends on how it's used.  Some composers make electronic music using a "palate" of sound sources.  John Oswald calls his style "Plunderphonics," whereas Noah Creshevsky uses the term "Hyperrealism."  It's not sampling, though, it's composition.  I don't think what P. Diddy did counts as sampling.  He made a new arrangement of "Every Breath You Take" and threw in some new lyrics.  It did irk me when ASCAP awarded Diddy songwriter of the year twice consecutively.  He's not a songwriter, he's what we used to call an "arranger," which was a legitimate part of the process, but it was not "writing" per se. 

"If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me? "
--Skinny Puppy, The Choke, 1986  Source: Roman Polanski as Trelkovsky in "The Tenant" (1976)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/03/08 at 11:07 pm

More examples-

"It's worked so far, but we're not out yet."- "Bones" McCoy
"Pure energy."- Spock

(Both from Tell Me What's On Your Mind (Pure Energy)", from Information Society)

Then there's the snip of Kennedy's "Ask Not What Your Conutry Can Do For You" speech, as heard in Living Colour's "Cult Of Personality".

Some people have asked if Styx used some weird backward voice sample on their song, "Heavy Metal Poisoning". This also led to them being accused by CA. Legislature of 1984 as "using backward Satanic messages".

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/03/08 at 11:20 pm

I am not a fan of sampling in music. It just seems like there's a lack of creative songwriting on one's own, it seem's so unoriginal. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like they slip in some other person's lyrics into their song to fill in the gaps. There's a song that samples The Police "Every Breath I Take"  but now i can't remember if it's Sting or the samplers singing his song  ??? 

one nice piece of sampling that I do like is at the beginning of the song "Civil War" by Gun's N' Roses with the speech by the warden in the movie Cool Hand Luke...

"What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men"

As Maxwell has pointed out, we're talking more about the second type of sampling (your GnR example) than the first.  There's no gain in trying to (poorly) copy someone else.  There's great gain in taking something someone else did and turning it into something new. 

The canonical example would be Pop Will Eat Itself.  If you ever danced to some weird song with a chorus of "Big Mac, Fries to Go!", you were actually listening to PWEI's Def.Con.One. 

The link I've given only lists 11 samples/lyrical references for the track, and at least one error - the preacher on "Preaching to the Perverts" was Robison, not Falwell.  Off the top of my head, he missed "...we're at Defcon one" and "Confidence is high, repeat, confidence is high..." are from the movie War Games, and I'm pretty sure that "Vote Doctor Doom!" "You know it makes sense" "It's the only choice" was from a Spider-Man cartoon.  The most complete list I can find is here.

Tracking down obscure samples is a hobby of mine, and I really miss rec.music.industrial's old "Top 1119 sample sources" lists that stopped being maintained/mirrored on sloth.org around 2004.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/03/08 at 11:37 pm

It depends on how it's used.  Some composers make electronic music using a "palate" of sound sources.  John Oswald calls his style "Plunderphonics," whereas Noah Creshevsky uses the term "Hyperrealism."  It's not sampling, though, it's composition.  I don't think what P. Diddy did counts as sampling.  He made a new arrangement of "Every Breath You Take" and threw in some new lyrics.  It did irk me when ASCAP awarded Diddy songwriter of the year twice consecutively.  He's not a songwriter, he's what we used to call an "arranger," which was a legitimate part of the process, but it was not "writing" per se. 

"If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me? "
--Skinny Puppy, The Choke, 1986  Source: Roman Polanski as Trelkovsky in "The Tenant" (1976)

what Diddy did? what did Diddy do?  that hurts just to say that.  songwriter of the year?  arrggg!  awards like that just become more diluted with time.

As Maxwell has pointed out, we're talking more about the second type of sampling (your GnR example) than the first.  There's no gain in trying to (poorly) copy someone else.  There's great gain in taking something someone else did and turning it into something new. 

The canonical example would be Pop Will Eat Itself.  If you ever danced to some weird song with a chorus of "Big Mac, Fries to Go!", you were actually listening to PWEI's Def.Con.One. 

The link I've given only lists 11 samples/lyrical references for the track, and at least one error - the preacher on "Preaching to the Perverts" was Robison, not Falwell.  Off the top of my head, he missed "...we're at Defcon one" and "Confidence is high, repeat, confidence is high..." are from the movie War Games, and I'm pretty sure that "Vote Doctor Doom!" "You know it makes sense" "It's the only choice" was from a Spider-Man cartoon.  The most complete list I can find is here.

Tracking down obscure samples is a hobby of mine, and I really miss rec.music.industrial's old "Top 1119 sample sources" lists that stopped being maintained/mirrored on sloth.org around 2004.
I had no idea this was an art form and a genre.  I can see how that would be fun and addicting to get into.

Written By: KKay on 01/04/08 at 8:52 am

In "Screen Kiss" by Thomas Dolby actor Ed Asner says, "murder".

I don't mind sampling, as long as the artists agree and it's used to complliment not to make fun of someone.

That's not the right song...I can't remember which one.
Also, Robyn Hitchock did a short voiceover for Dolby on the record "the flat earth"

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/04/08 at 8:53 am

Mr. Bungle utilizes dialogue from David Lynch's "Blue Velvet" in "Squeeze Me Macaroni"

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/04/08 at 3:39 pm

Two "bands" who almost completely have utilized voice samples in their work as political and socialogical satirical statements are Negativland and EBN (aka 'Emergency Broadcast Network').

I use the term "band" in quotes, because both are in reality a collective of sound artists and radio production engineers who, while not quite musically proficient, use music to make their usually funny statements heard. Negativland is more infamous for their controversial "U2" single, which featured warped versions of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"--featuring an unauthorized recording of famed disc jockey Casey Kasem ranting in the studio, prompting both Kasem and U2's label Island Records to sue Negativland's record company.

Learn and hear more about Negativland here: http://www.negativland.com/
Learn more about EBN here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Broadcast_Network

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/04/08 at 7:35 pm

Negativland is one of my favorites, especially "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" w/ Raging Casey.
;D

"I'm sick and tired of hearing about all of the radicals, and the perverts, and the liberals, and the leftists, and the Communists coming out of the closet! It's time for God's people to come out of the closet, out of the churches, and change America! We must do it!"

--The Shamen, Jesus Loves Amerika (1988)  Source: James Robison, a funnymentalist preacher, 1980.

This one is great because you can hear his fist slam the podium when says "GOD'S people."

There are a bunch of Evangelical snippets in the song with sources I can't identify. (eg. Marx, Lenin, un-Christian, immoral!  De-de-de-death penalty! Righteous! Freedom, freedom, freedom!")  If you listen close at the end of the 12" mix, you can hear in the mix: "Bullsh*t! Liberal ass**le!"

Fundamentalist preachers/right-wing politicians are a favorite source for samples.  Perhaps the earliest was David Byrne and Brian Eno on the album "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts."  Examples:

"Talkin' funny and lookin' funny and talkin' bout nobody loves me, you make yourself look bad!  He'p me somebody!  You need to take a good look at yourself and SEE if you're the kind of person God wants you to be!  It's no big thing, it's a small thing what people think... There's no escape from it!  It's so high you can't get over it!  It's so low you can't get under it! It's so wide you can't get around it!  If you make your bed in HEAVEN He's there, if you make your bed in HELL He's there, He's EVERYWHERE!"  He'p me somebody...."

--Song: Help Me Somebody  Source: Rev. Paul Morton, broadcast sermon, New Orleans, 1980

"What he said, he said I'm sorry, I've made a mistake, I've committed a sin, he mada mea culpa."
-- Song:  Mea Culpa  Source: Unknown politician on the radio, New York City radio station July 1979

Unlike subsequent sampling artists, Byrne and Eno credited as best they could the sources in the album sleeve. 

"Mea Culpa" also appears in the movie "Wall Street" (1987), along with the Talking Heads' song "This Must be the Place (Naive Melody)."

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/06/08 at 12:01 am

"I'm sick and tired of hearing about all of the radicals, and the perverts, and the liberals, and the leftists, and the Communists coming out of the closet! It's time for God's people to come out of the closet, out of the churches, and change America! We must do it!"

--The Shamen, Jesus Loves Amerika (1988)  Source: James Robison, a funnymentalist preacher, 1980.

Ah, yeah, James Robison, and the rant was called "Wake up, America! We're All Hostages!" according to "Born Again Condescension", a USENET post I've dredged up from 1983.  Having now seen the entire quote, it's a shame nobody's used the last bit of it.  I guess that last bit about God raising up a tyrant was too tinfoil-hat-loony for even industrial musicians, at least back in the 80s :)

Anways, Robison's rant is a classic. It's also the centerpiece of Birmingham 6's Radicals (1994).  (Same portion as used by the Shamen, but ending at "and change America")

It's also briefly sampled in PWEI's Preaching to the Perverted (1989) -- "The perverts!"(loop)"The perverts!" and "coming out of the closet!" at around the 2:30 mark, immediately before the verse that begins with "This isn't love, it's just cheap entertainment...")

There are a bunch of Evangelical snippets in the song with sources I can't identify.

Back to the Shamen and Jesus Loves Amerika.
"There's no virtue in being poor.  Make money.  Succeed."
- I don't know who this guy is, but I think he's one of the earliest funders/founders of what's become the modern "Prosperity Gospel" cult. The biggest player in this market today is Joel Osteen.  If you Wiki your way back from Osteen and the PG cult, you'll eventually find its roots, and it's probably one of them. PG's a relatively recent phenomenon, and it was in its infancy in the 80s, so there aren't gonna be many sources that date back far enough to be sampled in 1988.

"Over a billion dollars voluntarily contributed to conservative religious leaders."
- This could be Pat Robertson or Bush I.  I'm probably wrong.  Sounds like it came out of a news show/interview.

Sorry, I don't recognize any of the other voices. 

Perhaps the earliest was David Byrne and Brian Eno on the album "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts."  Examples:

"Talkin' funny and lookin' funny and talkin' bout nobody loves me, you make yourself look bad!  He'p me somebody!  You need to take a good look at yourself and SEE if you're the kind of person God wants you to be!  It's no big thing, it's a small thing what people think... There's no escape from it!  It's so high you can't get over it!  It's so low you can't get under it! It's so wide you can't get around it!  If you make your bed in HEAVEN He's there, if you make your bed in HELL He's there, He's EVERYWHERE!"  He'p me somebody...."

--Song: Help Me Somebody  Source: Rev. Paul Morton, broadcast sermon, New Orleans, 1980

I don't have the Byrne/Eno track -- but that language sounds familiar.  Was it a very guttural, gritty voice with a black accent?  Occasional bursts into Howard-Dean-YEAAAAAARGHesque incoherency?  Background noises of applause and cheering?  Either of these samples ring a bell?

"What's the difference between a little lie and a big lie?" "Ain't nothin' wrong with that, ain't nothin' wrong with this..." "He don't know what he's talkin' about" / "Oh yeah, heaven on earth. Ain't no heaven on earth!"  "Come on down!"  "You ain't got nothin' but looooooooooove"?
  - Unknown preacher, Gary Clail's Tackhead Sound System, Mind at the End of the Tether, 1986

If you know the Gary Clail / Tackhead track -- is that Morton?  I've been wondering who this guy was for 20 years :)

"H.G. Wells said in his last book 'Mind at the end of the Tether', that this is the end.  He said there will never be another generation.  And today - fears, problems, bewilderments, on every side, and almost, we could say, a sense of hysteria." (all mixes) "They were living in idolatry, wickedness, lawlessness, immorality, sin, licentiousness..." (12" mix only)  "This has been an age of Freud, an age of pragmatism, behaviorism, relativism, secularism, materialism, an age when all the mphasis has been on the ingenuity of science!" (all mixes) "I am convinced that our time is desperately short... we may not have any more time!  Our time is now!  Our time is now!  Is there a way out!  Is there a way out!"  (all mixes) "Judgment!  Destruction!  Morally, this nation is on the skids" (all mixes) "Our nation is on the way down..." (12" vinyl mix only)
    - Unknown preacher, Gary Clail's Tackhead Sound System, Mind at the End of the Tether, 1986

Been wondering who this guy is too.  He sounds vaguely like Robison, but not close enough that I'd bet on it without a transcript. The subject matter is similar to the Robison rant sampled by PWEI, the Shamen, and Birmingham 6, but then... it all was, which is why it made such great fodder for sampling.

Written By: karen on 01/11/08 at 12:31 pm

Was the 'commentary' in Paradise by the Dashboard Light from a real game?

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/11/08 at 3:43 pm

Was the 'commentary' in Paradise by the Dashboard Light from a real game?

per Wikipedia:

Rizzuto is also the announcer who provides the play-by-play commentary during the long spoken bridge in Meat Loaf's 1977 song "Paradise by the Dashboard Light." Ostensibly an account of a baseball sequence, it actually describes the singer's step-by-step efforts to lose his virginity. Rizzuto was reportedly unaware of the suggestive double entendre nature of his spoken contribution, and claimed to be annoyed by the song's success after he began receiving disapproving letters from clergymen. However, by the time he was given a gold record for the album, the mini-controversy had been smoothed over. "Phil was no dummy," said singer Meat Loaf. "He knew exactly what was going on, and he told me such. He was just getting some heat from a priest and felt like he had to do something. I totally understood."

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/11/08 at 3:59 pm

Wasn't the evangelist Brother Love involved with something of this nature?

Written By: Midas on 01/11/08 at 5:32 pm

"What were the skies like when you were young? They ran on forever. They... When I... We lived in Arizona and the skies always had little fluffy clouds in them. And uh... They were long and clear and there were lots of stars at night. And uh... When it would rain it would all turn... It... They were beautiful, the most beautiful skies as a matter of fact. Uh... The sunsets were purple and red and yellow and on fire and the clouds would catch the colors everywhere. That's neat 'cause I used to look at them all the time when I was little. You don't see that. ...You might still see it in the desert. "
--The Orb, "Little Fluffy Clouds," 1991.  Source: Rickie Lee Jones being interviewed on PBS

This is one of my favourites.  I first heard this track on KDGE-FM Dallas ("The Edge") mid-'91.  Have the CD-single. :)

A Casey Kasem countdown sample is used in the beginning of the International version of O.K.'s "Okay!".  That song has various other samples as well.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/16/08 at 10:47 pm

Industrial Artz, Psychotic Reaction, track 6 of their 1992 album "6 Demon Bang"

"They're at it again!  With the colored lights and the weird sounds!"
  - From the 1986 movie From Beyond, aka "H.P. Lovecraft's From Beyond".

"Give me the power, I BEG OF YOU! (thunder/lightning) (bunch of latin invocations)"
  - Presumably from Child's Play

"Can't you feel it?"

"(Various effects)"

"(electrical sound) More... / Oh right there, that's it!"

"Give me the boy and I'll let you live, do you hear me?  Give me the boy..."
  - Chucky, from the 1988 movie Child's Play

"(maniacal laughter) Sorry, man, but this is the stupidest thing I've ever seen in my life! Oh no, they're going it at again! (more maniacal laughter)"

"You mean that's IT?!"

...and since I don't have either movie handy, does anyone know where "This thing is f*ckin heavy, man", and the (aaw-aa-aa-aaw) scream come from in track 8, Braineater?

Wouldn't surprise me if all of these samples came from these two movies (and/or 1985's Re-Animator).  Any of these ring any bells?

Written By: ladybug316 on 02/05/08 at 1:05 pm

What about Jane's Addiction song "Ted.... Just Admit It" where they use a snippet of Ted Kennedy denying his involvement in Chappaquiddick?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 02/07/08 at 1:35 am

Industrial Artz, Psychotic Reaction, track 6 of their 1992 album "6 Demon Bang"

"They're at it again!  With the colored lights and the weird sounds!"
  - From the 1986 movie From Beyond, aka "H.P. Lovecraft's From Beyond".

"Give me the power, I BEG OF YOU! (thunder/lightning) (bunch of latin invocations)"
  - Presumably from Child's Play

"Can't you feel it?"

"(Various effects)"

"(electrical sound) More... / Oh right there, that's it!"

"Give me the boy and I'll let you live, do you hear me?  Give me the boy..."
  - Chucky, from the 1988 movie Child's Play

"(maniacal laughter) Sorry, man, but this is the stupidest thing I've ever seen in my life! Oh no, they're going it at again! (more maniacal laughter)"

"You mean that's IT?!"

...and since I don't have either movie handy, does anyone know where "This thing is f*ckin heavy, man", and the (aaw-aa-aa-aaw) scream come from in track 8, Braineater?

Wouldn't surprise me if all of these samples came from these two movies (and/or 1985's Re-Animator).  Any of these ring any bells?

Sounds like it, man!
I'll double-check in the next day or so. I have "Re-Animator".

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/26/08 at 3:11 am

Here's something obscure for y'all.

I've got something calling itself Bruce Springsteen, 57 Channels and Nothing On, (TARGO Remix).  Google is silent on it as of this writing.  It's 8:21, and it's basically Bruce's backbeat (and one or two notes of the guitar riff, plus the title line from the song), overlaid with a crowd chanting "No Justice, No Peace", with a lot of samples from news media of the time, largely centering around the LA riots, Dan Quayle, Murphy Brown, condoms, AIDS, Clinton's smoking rumor and spiked with random commercial snippets.  All from 1991-1992.  (And interestingly enough, all legal without licensing because every sample was less than two seconds long.  Very clever!)

"Let 'em know, let 'em know (what time it is?) (right!)  Let 'em know!"
- unknown, black speaker, excited/enthused

"I want a kinder, and gentler nation"
- George Herbert Walker Bush

"The fires are lightin' the skies up right now"
- unknown male speaker

"Anger burns in Los Angeles"
- female speaker, newscaster

"Frederick's of Hollywood is being looted"
- male speaker, newscaster

"Today's young people are learning a hard lesson; they are inheriting a damaged world..."
- male speaker, different newscaster

"Red sox four!  Eagles three and ten!"
- male speaker, unknown sportscaster

"It doesn't help matters when prime time TV has Murphy Brown mocking the importance of fathers."
- Presumably Dan Quayle, but it's been so long since I've heard him I forget

"Is the President out of his mind?!"
- male speaker, unknown, sounds like a pundit/commentator

"What do you have in the way of champagne?"
- male speaker, unknown

"And of course, what do we start with every morning?  Gossip, gossip, gossip!"
- Sounds a bit like Joan Rivers?

"People didn't think he was morally upright enough to be President..."
- male speaker, unknown, southern accent.

"Coming up on Nick at Night, it's Green Acres!"
- male speaker, Nick@nite announcer

"But the pictures you are about to see may not be appropriate for many viewers.  They are unavoidably, extremely graphic."
- male speaker, newscaster, sounds a lot like Dan Rather

"40% of Americans say Murphy Brown would make a better President compared to Quayle's 38%"
- female speaker, newscaster

"You have sex, you use condoms, so you don't get AIDS"
- male speaker, unknown accent,

etc. etc. etc, far too many samples to catch, and those are just a few of 'em.  Anyone remember the track and recognize any of the SoCal newscasters?

EDIT: Found/placed a couple of them:

"What I do suggest, is to use the imagination." (4:40)
- Dr. Ruth Westheimer, radio talk show host / sex therapist

"Fire all phasers" (4:50)
- William Shatner, as James T. Kirk from Star Trek.

Written By: midnite on 03/14/08 at 12:18 am

Does the Beatles song "Revolution 9" contain any samples from previously released material?  Or was it all created for the song?

Written By: Jack Wilson on 03/14/08 at 1:32 am

ANYTHING by Dickie Goodman

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/14/08 at 12:19 pm

Does the Beatles song "Revolution 9" contain any samples from previously released material?  Or was it all created for the song?

I think the trumpet fanfare sound that comes in about 1/4 of the way in was lifted from some stock recording, and the mournful chorus vocals as well. I think the extended backwards orchestra sounds came from outtakes from Sgt. Pepper.

Written By: Jack Wilson on 03/14/08 at 5:02 pm

ANYTHING by Dickie Goodman
Ok well, mostly song smaples, but there were some voice samples in some, especially in his older ones with Buchanan

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/15/08 at 12:16 am

Ok well, mostly song smaples, but there were some voice samples in some, especially in his older ones with Buchanan

We haven't all forgotten Dickie Goodman!  (And music samples count as good as voice samples in my book.)

Is there a good online resource for those?  And if there isn't, can you post any that you think are particularly obscure?  A lot of the songs I can get, but the voices of the politicians of the day (certainly everyone under the level of President) were admittedly before my time, and I'd never be able to identify 'em without help.

Written By: Jack Wilson on 03/15/08 at 1:07 am

We haven't all forgotten Dickie Goodman!  (And music samples count as good as voice samples in my book.)

Is there a good online resource for those?  And if there isn't, can you post any that you think are particularly obscure?  A lot of the songs I can get, but the voices of the politicians of the day (certainly everyone under the level of President) were admittedly before my time, and I'd never be able to identify 'em without help.
Hmm Ill check

Forgotten? I wasnt even around when he was, I just heardd him in the radio in 2002, actually it was an interview with his son about him when my dad had NPR on, thought hewas great so I downloaded a bunch of his stuff and have two of his CDs

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/18/08 at 11:06 am

We haven't all forgotten Dickie Goodman! ...
Is there a good online resource for those? 

http://www.emusic.com/album/Dickie-Goodman-Dickie-Goodman-Greatest-Hits-MP3-Download/10980449.html

Look for the CDs "Greatest Fables" Volume 1 and 2, which I guess are out of print.

Check out a preview clip of the track "The Banana Boat Story" here, which amazingly predates Negativland and Plunderphonics by 30 years.
http://www.themadmusicarchive.com/song_details.aspx?SongID=19751

Written By: Jack Wilson on 03/18/08 at 9:57 pm

http://www.emusic.com/album/Dickie-Goodman-Dickie-Goodman-Greatest-Hits-MP3-Download/10980449.html

Look for the CDs "Greatest Fables" Volume 1 and 2, which I guess are out of print.

Check out a preview clip of the track "The Banana Boat Story" here, which amazingly predates Negativland and Plunderphonics by 30 years.
http://www.themadmusicarchive.com/song_details.aspx?SongID=19751
Theyre out of print now?

I guess I got the last copies of them!

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/28/08 at 12:25 am

Found this one by sheer accident today!

"The bomb will not start a chain-reaction in the water, converting it all to gas, and letting the ships on all the oceans drop down to the bottom.  It will not blow out the bottom of the sea and let all the water run down the hole. It will not destroy gravity.  I am not an atomic playboy..." ((...as one of my critics labeled me, exploding these bombs to satisfy my personal whim. ))
  - Vice Admiral W.H.P. Blandy, Commander Joint Task Force One, on the 1946-47 Operation Crossroads atomic tests at Bikini

As sampled by Steve Stevens, Atomic Playboys, (title track), 1989

Written By: Midas on 03/28/08 at 10:17 am

Here's something obscure for y'all.

I've got something calling itself Bruce Springsteen, 57 Channels and Nothing On, (TARGO Remix).  Google is silent on it as of this writing.  It's 8:21, and it's basically Bruce's backbeat (and one or two notes of the guitar riff, plus the title line from the song), overlaid with a crowd chanting "No Justice, No Peace", with a lot of samples from news media of the time, largely centering around the LA riots, Dan Quayle, Murphy Brown, condoms, AIDS, Clinton's smoking rumor and spiked with random commercial snippets.  All from 1991-1992.  (And interestingly enough, all legal without licensing because every sample was less than two seconds long.  Very clever!)

TARGO - There's A Riot Goin' On.  It's a legit mix.  I have this 12" single.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/28/08 at 10:25 pm

TARGO - There's A Riot Goin' On.  It's a legit mix.  I have this 12" single.

Karma for that -- awesome work for digging that one out! 

With the benefit of hindsight, an acronym like TARGO is just about the only way to cram "57 Channels & Nothin' On (There's A Riot Goin' On)" into the title field of an ID3v1 tag, which was how I found it.

Out of curiosity, what are the other tracks like?  (Not that any answer could take it off my buy list :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/08/08 at 12:06 am

(from page 1, samples from unknown fundie preachers, Gary Clail's Tackhead Sound System, Mind at the End of the Tether, 1986

Well, I haven't found any of the preacher samples, but I was able to source three Maggie Thatcher samples from Hard Left off the same album.

"....today, we've seen the hard left..."
"...violence in the streets..."
"In a free country, everyone has to choose"

- Margaret Thatcher's speech to the Conservative Party Conference, given at the Winter Gardens, Blackpool, October 11, 1985.

The originating site is a pretty comprehensive archive of her public speeches.  If you've got a Thatcher sample, their search engine is probably your best bet at sourcing it.

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/08/08 at 10:49 am

Well, I haven't found any of the preacher samples, but I was able to source three Maggie Thatcher samples from Hard Left off the same album.

"....today, we've seen the hard left..."
"...violence in the streets..."
"In a free country, everyone has to choose"

- Margaret Thatcher's speech to the Conservative Party Conference, given at the Winter Gardens, Blackpool, October 11, 1985.

The originating site is a pretty comprehensive archive of her public speeches.  If you've got a Thatcher sample, their search engine is probably your best bet at sourcing it.

Speaking of which, Maggie puts in an appearance on Roger Waters' Radio KAOS during "Four Minutes." ("We must help to keep the peace...help to keep the peace...")

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/09/08 at 12:37 am

Accidental discovery:  That funky drum backbeat that skips in and out throughout the Thompson Twins' 1982 hit In The Name of Love was grabbed from Mike T's 1981 track Do It Anyway You Wanna

Or the other way around (the tracks came out within a year of each other).  But the dates on the records (and the dates on the discography websites on the web) say it was the Thompson Twins who grabbed the drum riff from of Mike T.

Written By: Midas on 05/15/08 at 10:20 am

Karma for that -- awesome work for digging that one out! 

With the benefit of hindsight, an acronym like TARGO is just about the only way to cram "57 Channels & Nothin' On (There's A Riot Goin' On)" into the title field of an ID3v1 tag, which was how I found it.

Out of curiosity, what are the other tracks like?  (Not that any answer could take it off my buy list :)

From my recollection (I haven't played it in awhile and I'm at work) all the mixes sound pretty similar except the Little Steven Mix 1 has Bruce's vocals included.  That mix has some samples that are included in the TARGO mix also.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/23/08 at 11:33 pm

Someone in another thread made the mistake of asking about Paul Hardcastle's 19.  It turns out there are more versions of the track out there than can be counted.  Some of them have different samples than others, and no one version that I know of has all the samples.  Since the track is effectively an instrumental, it's almost impossible for a listener to query Google or a lyrics site asking for which version of the track contains which samples. 

Until today, wherein I think I've covered about half of the songs.

Here's what I came up with:

According to Wikipedia, the Narrator was Peter Thomas, and the samples were from an ABC News documentary called Vietnam Requiem, an 1984 ABC television documentary about the post-traumatic stress disorder suffered by veterans.

Available on 12" vinyl (1985), and possibly the 1999 compilation 2-CD set Mix of the Century, although I don't know if it's the 8:30 version or the 5:25 version on one of the Discogs.com entries.

------------- crank up the sampler for the 8:30 mix  -------

Narrator: This is the story of men who are victims of war.  They fought the longest war in American history.  They all saw heavy combat in Vietnam.  Although they were all decorated for heroism, none of them received a hero's welcome.

Narrator: N-n-n-n-nineteen.  19.  19...

Veteran #1: You see a lotta destruction.  You see a lot of villages being burned, and you know people are being killed, and... you shoot into bushes and you hear screams and you know that people have been hit, but... to see someone get hit with a high-velocity steel-jacket round - designed by people, to kill other people.  There is no more obscene way to die.

Narrator:  Hundreds of thousands of men who saw heavy combat in Vietnam have been arrested since discharge.  Their arrest rate is almost twice that of non-veterans of the same age.  There are no accurate figures on how many of these men have been incarcerated, but a Veterans' Administration study concludes that the greater a vet's exposure to combat, the more likely his chance of being arrested or convicted.  This is one legacy of the Vietnam War.

Veteran #1:  They had VC that were twelve feet tall.  They captured the 25th Infantry with a bag fulla rocks.  Everybody went after Ho Chih Minh with broken bayonets.  These were the baddest dudes I ever saw in my life.

Narrator: N-n-n-n-nineteen.  19.  19...

(instrumental break, sampled scream, instrumental break)

Female background singers: "Destruction - d-d-d-d-d-es-des

Soldier: I looked at this guy and asked him what to do.  He'd been hit, right below his eye.  The side of his face was blown away.  He wasn't fallin', was just... standin'... and he kinda half-turned, and fell.  (And he kinda half-turned, and fell.)  And then we came back and we were different, and everybody wants to know "God, what happened to those guys over there"...

Veteran #2:  There's gotta be somethin' wrong somewhere.

Veteran #1:  ...We did what we had to do...

Veteran #1:  And people wanted us to be ashamed - of what it made us.

Veteran #2:  They have no idea what it meant for five, ten years now.  All we want to do is come home.

Veteran #1:  Why?

Veteran #2:  All we want to do is come home.

Veteran #1:  What did we do it for?

Veteran #1:  Was it worth it?

---------------- fade out out at 4:44, then fade back in with -----------------

Samples:  "And then we came back, and we were different..." to the end of the song.  Just the tail endsamples, over an ambient background.

---------------- fade back out at 5:25, then back in with ---------------------

Narrator: This is the story of men who are victims of war.  They fought the longest war in American history.  They all saw heavy combat in Vietnam.  Although they were all decorated for heroism, none of them received a hero's welcome.

Narrator: Unlike Vietnam, World War 2 saw America unite behind her fighting men.  The two wars were just as different on the front lines as they were back home. 

(n-n-n-n-ninteteen...)

Narrator:  Hundreds of thousands of men who saw heavy combat in Vietnam have been arrested since discharge.  Their arrest rate is almost twice that of non-veterans of the same age.  There are no accurate figures on how many of these men have been incarcerated, but a Veterans' Administration study concludes that the greater a vet's exposure to combat, the more likely his chance of being arrested or convicted.  This is one legacy of the Vietnam War.

(instrumental break)

Female background singers:  All those who remember the war, they won't forget what they've seen.  Destruction, of men in their prime, whose average age was 19.  (d-d-d-d-d-destruction...)

Narrator:  After WW2, the men came home together, in troop ships, often less than 48 hours after jungle combat. ((( yes, that's exactly how it's sampled.  The re-recorded version is a re-reading of the original sample, or it says what the original Narrator meant. )))  Perhaps the most dramatic difference between WW2 and Vietnam was coming home.  (None of them received a hero's welcome.  None of them.  N-n-n-n-n-one-of-them-rec-none of them received a hero's welcome...  n-n-n-none of them...)

Veteran #1:  And then we came back and we were different, and everybody wants to know "God, what happened to those guys over there"...

Veteran #1:  ...We did what we had to do...

Veteran #1:  And people wanted us to be ashamed - of what it made us.

Veteran #2:  They have no idea what it meant for five, ten years now.  All we want to do is come home.

Veteran #1:  Why?

Veteran #1:  What did we do it for?

Veteran #1:  Was it worth it?

------------ end song, 8:30.  The fades in/out could indicate an 8:30 mix, or three separate tracks on a 12" vinyl intended to be played continuously ------

But that version still doesn't cover all the samples from the interview. 

From a 4:26 "Extended" mix:

Narrator:  In 1965, Vietnam seemed like just another foreign war, but it wasn't.  It was different in many ways.  In World War Two, the average age of the combat soldier was 26.  In Vietnam, he was 19.  In-in-in-in-in Vietnam, he was 19.  n-n-n-ninteen.

Newscaster:  The heaviest fighting of the past two weeks continued today, 25 miles northwest of Saigon.

Veteran #1:  I wasn't really sure what was goin' on.

Narrator:  nn-n-n-ninteen.

Narrator:  In Vietnam, the combat soldier typically served a 12-month tour of duty, but was exposed to hostile fire almost every day.

Newscaster:  In Saigon, a US military spokesman said today more than 700 enemy troops were killed last week in that sensitive border area.  Throughout all of South Vietnam, the enemy lost a total of 2689 soldiers. 

Female background singer:  All those who remember the war, they won't forget what they've seen.  Destruction, of men in their prime, whose average age was 19.  (d-d-d-d-d-destruction...)

Narrator: This is the story of men who are victims of war.  They all saw heavy combat in Vietnam. 

Narrator:  According to a Veteran's Administration study, half of the Vietnam combat veterans suffer from what psychiatrists call Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.  Many vets complain of alienation, rage, or guilt.  Some succumb to suicidal thoughts.

Narrator:  This is one legacy of the Vietnam war.  They fought the longest war in American history.  None of them received a hero's welcome.

Sample:  (( Difficult-to-decipher Army military cadence ))

Narrator:  Vietnam
Newscaster:  Saigon
Narrator:  Vietnam
Narrator:  Purple heart
Narrator:  n-n-n-n-nintenteen

Sample:  (( various military effects ))

Narrator:  Almost 800,000 men are still fighting the Vietnam War.

-----------------

There's a 12" mix at 5:16.  No references to arrest records or troop ships.  But it does have one more sample from Veteran #1:

Veteran #1:  You're 18 years old and you're wearin' somebody's brains around on your shirt because they got their head blown off right next to you.  And that's not supposed to affect you.  I can never understand that.  What would scare me, is if we were to send a group of eighteen-year-olds 12,000 miles away, and subject them to a year of that obscenity, and have them not be affected.  That's what we're fighting.

----------------------

The Disconet version (7:54) features the original Narrator, cuts the four words "That's what we're fighting" from the "brains all over your shirt" sample, but adds one more sample:

Newscaster:  With the release of the last American prisoners by North Vietnam today, the final contingent of US troops in South Vietnam boarded planes and flew out of Saigon.

EDIT: This sample also appears on the "Destruction" mix (7:03).

-----------------

And that still isn't it! 

There must have been some legal difficulties (or someone noticed a mistake in the source documentary), because there's a 6:20 "Dance Mix" that contains the same samples, but all of the Narrator's lines have been re-read by a different narrator.  The re-recorded voice has an edge to his voice that indicates that he's very aware of why he's reading the Narrator's lines.

The Newscaster's samples, and Vet #1's samples, are original; only the Narrator's samples were re-recorded.  Both the "arrest" line and the "troop ship" lines are re-recorded, and the "troop ship" line has been corrected to say "After WW2, the men came home together in troop ships, but the Vietnam vet often arrived home within 48 hours of jungle combat."  (Which is what was meant in the original, although I don't know whether the mistake was on the part of the Narrator or a quick edit by Hardcastle to fit the line into the bars of music.  It sounds a lot like the Narrator made a mistake, although I'd have to see the original documentary to make that official.)

----------------------

Last, but not least, and by "Least", I mean that I don't speak German or French, I know there are versions with the Narrator's (and some of the Newscaster's lines) transcribed into German, and another version with the same thing done in French.  I gotta draw the line at transcription somewhere, dammit.

Written By: whistledog on 06/23/08 at 11:34 pm

Not sure if this one counts, but in Los Del Rio's painfully overplayed hit 'Macarena', they sample Alison Moyet's laugh as originally heard in the 1982 hit 'Situation' by Yaz

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/24/08 at 1:43 am

Not sure if this one counts, but in Los Del Rio's painfully overplayed hit 'Macarena', they sample Alison Moyet's laugh as originally heard in the 1982 hit 'Situation' by Yaz

Yes, it counts.

Even if it's close to -- but not -- the same laugh that shows up both in Birmingham 6's Birmingham 6 (Track 1 from their 1994 album "Mindhallucination") and the laugh that immediately followed the zipper-pull from Motley Crue's She Goes Down (Track 9 from their 1989 album "Dr. Feelgood").  Because I just checked, and I'm not sure whether to be disappointed or relieved. 

(Alcohol, randomized playlists, and this message board.  Enough said.  What has been heard, cannot be unheard.  I swear to God I'm not making it up.)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/15/08 at 11:35 pm

And I can top that.

I did not expect "Bang, Nine, Automatic", and a verse or two from Ice-T's The Hunted Child, track 10 off The Iceberg / Freedom of Speech, to be sped up to the point that Ice-T sounds like Alvin the Chipmunk, and then sampled into a techno cover of Enya's Orinoco Flow.

But there it is.  Orinoco's Groove came out in 1998, and appears on a compilation called Hit Explosion Vol. 1 - 1999.

Sometimes the samples we discover aren't stranger than we imagine.  Sometimes they're stranger than we can imagine.

Written By: Bobby on 07/23/08 at 9:17 am

Three of my favourite house songs featuring samples are Coldcut's 'Doctorin' the house', Bomb the Bass's 'Beat Dis' and 'Pump up the volume' by M/A/R/R/S.

Beat Dis starts with the sample; 'The names have been changed to protect the innocent . . .' and then does a countdown from 5 to 1 - presumably from Thunderbirds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-FrRccfy5U

There are far too many samples in 'Doctorin' the house' to recall  . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAoCkVkcMr8

Another old song from 1987 featuring samples is 'Pump up the volume' by M/A/R/R/S . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGPhUr-T6UM

If anyone can let me know the samples to any of these tracks, that would be well cool.  8)

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/23/08 at 1:04 pm

Kid Koala...Girl Talk...Avalanches...all of their works are created from extensive unauthorized samples.

Avalanches' big hit "Frontier Psychiatrist" definitely includes dialogue from a 60s Walt Disney movie (possilbly The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes) in its opening moments before the drum kicks in, but I have no idea where the rest of it comes from.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/23/08 at 11:31 pm

Beat Dis starts with the sample; 'The names have been changed to protect the innocent . . .' and then does a countdown from 5 to 1 - presumably from Thunderbirds?

The countdown is from Thunderbirds.  The "names have been changed" sample is from the TV version of Dragnet.

According to this thread from 2006, the sample "You play Russian Roulette this way" is from a snippet of dialogue that nobody was able to track down.  (We're smarter than that, right? :)  Its most recent appearance was in Junkie XL's Russian Roulette, but Bomb the Bass sampled it in 1988's Beat Dis, and Zinno sampled it the very next year in 1989's Russian Roulette.  (Anyone up on their late-80s movie sample trivia?)

There are far too many samples in 'Doctorin' the house' to recall  . . .

Gift for understatement.  There are... a lot of references to plastic man / plastic men in both pop music and in movie history, and I still couldn't source enough of 'em to solve the song.

Another old song from 1987 featuring samples is 'Pump up the volume' by M/A/R/R/S . . .

(Don't know who "Yo all you homeboys out in the Bronx / this one's for you" was.  The voice is tantalizingly familiar.  Some movie?)

"That's right, this has gotta be the greatest record of the year!" is definitely Wolfman Jack

The "Brothers and sisters!" in the MARRS track (and everywhere else in rap, dance, and house music, but most notably in Public Enemy's "Rebel without a Pause", where it's followed by "I don't know what this world is coming to") is none other than Jesse Jackson (!) introducing the Soul Children, at the Wattstax concert of 1972.

"Mars needs women!" is, of course, from the B-movie Mars Needs Women.

The deeper I dig, the more I realize we've barely scratched the surface of even the most popular sample-based tracks, never mind the obscure ones.

Written By: Henk on 07/24/08 at 12:27 am

OK, analyze this! ::)

Hithouse - Jack To The Sound Of The Underground

Written By: whistledog on 07/24/08 at 9:58 pm

^ I have the 12" single of that.  It is pretty tricky to decipher all the samples used

Written By: whistledog on 07/24/08 at 10:09 pm

♦ In the 2004 hit The Love of Richard Nixon by Manic Street Preachers, Nixon is sampled at the end ...

"In all the decisions I have made in my public life, I have always tried to do what was best for the nation.  I have never been a crook!"

♦ In the 1987 hit Dragnet by The Art of Noise (from the film of the same name), samples were used of Dan Aykroyd's dialog from the film.  In the version heard during the opening credits of the film, samples of Tom Hanks' voice were also used ...

Written By: Midas on 07/24/08 at 10:26 pm

OK, analyze this! ::)

Well, not all of them, but...

"On the double" - from Nia Peeples' "Trouble"...

Sounds like there's some non-vocal stabs from Prince's "Batdance" in the track as well...

Don't know if the "No Good" lyrics originated here but is used later in Prodigy's "No Good (Start The Dance)"...

"Yeah you know house!" - I have that on the intro of the Hot Tracks mix of Beatmasters feat. Cookie Crew's "Rok Da House" but it could have been sampled elsewhere...

And then there's some scratching of that "Ahhh...this stuff is realllly fresh!" sample from Fab 5 Freddy's "Change the Beat".

Written By: Henk on 07/25/08 at 12:04 am

Don't know if the "No Good" lyrics originated here but is used later in Prodigy's "No Good (Start The Dance)"...

According to Wikipedia:
"The original sample "You're no good for me, I don't need nobody" is by Kelly Charles and comes from the single "You're No Good For Me" (1987, London Records LONX153)."

Written By: Henk on 07/25/08 at 12:22 am

Hithouse (Peter Slaghuis, RIP) also did Move Your Feet To The Rhythm Of The Beat

...more sampling to figure out.

All I have found so far is that the "It's worked so far but we're not done yet" sequence is probably from a Star Trek episode (words uttered by Bones).

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/25/08 at 12:43 am

"Say kids, what time is it" - from American 50s TV series Howdy Doody, also sampled elsewhere.

Hithouse - Move Your Feet To The Rhythm of the Beat

The boing-boing-boing sample at around 1:00 in the 4:07 remix is from Dead or Alive, You Think You're A Man.

I wish I knew who did "Aaw, you bastards / ?? by my side / ?? ?? / ?? ?? / Don't be so f*in serious!", but I've heard that sample sped up in at least one other track.  Unfortunately, I can't remember the track either.  Big help I am!  Duh....

But if you're talking Trek, you're talking nerd, and that means you're talking my language.

"It is useless to resist us..."
  - Sounds vaguely like Capt. James T. Kirk, Star Trek, from the episode Mirror, Mirror, but don't quote me on that.

It's "worked so far, but we're not out yet."
  - Doctor Leonard "Bones" McCoy, Star Trek, from the episode I, Mudd.
  (...which also appears in Information Society's "What's on your mind", and the "Pure energy" sample is also the Doctor...)

Written By: Midas on 07/25/08 at 9:40 am

"It is useless to resist us..."
  - Sounds vaguely like Capt. James T. Kirk, Star Trek, from the episode Mirror, Mirror, but don't quote me on that.

That sample is also used at the beginning of the Space Age Mix of Information Society's "Walking Away".

Written By: Bobby on 07/25/08 at 7:55 pm

The countdown is from Thunderbirds.  The "names have been changed" sample is from the TV version of Dragnet.

According to this thread from 2006, the sample "You play Russian Roulette this way" is from a snippet of dialogue that nobody was able to track down.  (We're smarter than that, right? :)  Its most recent appearance was in Junkie XL's Russian Roulette, but Bomb the Bass sampled it in 1988's Beat Dis, and Zinno sampled it the very next year in 1989's Russian Roulette.  (Anyone up on their late-80s movie sample trivia?)

Gift for understatement.  There are... a lot of references to plastic man / plastic men in both pop music and in movie history, and I still couldn't source enough of 'em to solve the song.

(Don't know who "Yo all you homeboys out in the Bronx / this one's for you" was.  The voice is tantalizingly familiar.  Some movie?)

"That's right, this has gotta be the greatest record of the year!" is definitely Wolfman Jack

The "Brothers and sisters!" in the MARRS track (and everywhere else in rap, dance, and house music, but most notably in Public Enemy's "Rebel without a Pause", where it's followed by "I don't know what this world is coming to") is none other than Jesse Jackson (!) introducing the Soul Children, at the Wattstax concert of 1972.

"Mars needs women!" is, of course, from the B-movie Mars Needs Women.

The deeper I dig, the more I realize we've barely scratched the surface of even the most popular sample-based tracks, never mind the obscure ones.

Thank you very much for your help, Foo Bar - karma on the way . . .  :)

Written By: Bobby on 07/25/08 at 7:57 pm

"Say kids, what time is it" - from American 50s TV series Howdy Doody, also sampled elsewhere.

Ah! That sample features in Doctorin' the House, one of the three tracks I mentioned above.

"Say kids, what time is it
IT'S TIME FOR HOUSE!"

Written By: Henk on 07/26/08 at 1:08 am

I wish I knew who did "Aaw, you bastards / ?? by my side / ?? ?? / ?? ?? / Don't be so f*in serious!", but I've heard that sample sped up in at least one other track.  Unfortunately, I can't remember the track either.  Big help I am!  Duh....

Some of the blanks are "This time, honey / This time, baby" - or at least that's what it sounds like to me.

I was thinking...If Mr Slaghuis sampled Kelly Charles for his first success, why not sample her again? I just guessing of course, but it could be another Kelly Charles song.

Karma for helping me out on some of the other samples. :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/05/08 at 12:39 am

Seeing as how the Dark Knight has a new movie out, it's probably time to dredge up Batman's presence in samples.  The top three Batman tracks that come to mind are from 1989; all feature house beats overlaid with tons of Batman samples.

So if you're coming across this post because you're trying to figure out which of those nameless dance tracks featured those Batman samples you remembered so well... you've probably come to the right place.

1) BOSE, Batman (The Original Swing), from 1989's Spread the Word is the one you've probably heard.  Widespread club and alternative/dance radio play.

2) B.A.T. (Balearic Acid Techno)'s "BAT in my House" (and many remixes, including the acid house track "Aciiid Bat In My House") followed it up.  If you're looking for a Batman remix and it wasn't BOSE's track, it's probably this one.  Somewhat widespread club play.

3) DJ Dakeyne's Bat Groove is the long shot of Batman sample-heavy mixes.  Released via the DMC remix service, release 80-1 (September 1989), you probably only heard this if you were at a club in the late 80s where the DJ subscribed to the Disco Mix Club remix service.

All three tracks feature dozens of samples from the first Batman movie, and all three tracks include the sample "Atomic batteries to power... turbines to speed..."

OK, so what other Batman-derived tracks have I missed?

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/05/08 at 10:02 am

OK, so what other Batman-derived tracks have I missed?

Prince's Bat Dance, of course... :D (yeah, I know that's not what you were drivin' at...couldn't resist...)

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/06/08 at 12:18 am

Prince's Bat Dance, of course... :D (yeah, I know that's not what you were drivin' at...couldn't resist...)

Maybe not... but it counts.  Besides, it probably got more airplay than all three of the tracks I mentioned put together.  (Now you've got me wondering how often "music specifically created for a movie" actually makes the transition from soundtrack to mainstream airplay.  Probably not very often.)

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/06/08 at 10:53 am

Maybe not... but it counts.  Besides, it probably got more airplay than all three of the tracks I mentioned put together.  (Now you've got me wondering how often "music specifically created for a movie" actually makes the transition from soundtrack to mainstream airplay.  Probably not very often.)

Not very often nowadays, but as long as there have been movies, there's been songs or music from the movies on the radio.

Axel F from Beverly Hills Cop. My Heart Will Go On from Titanic. And don't forget the classic musicals of the 30s-50s.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/10/08 at 3:12 am

"That's it, buster.  No more military aid!"
- from the "Nuke 'em" board game commercial in the movie

"Where you from?"
"Metro South."
"Welcome to hell."

on-on-on-on- "Onboard computer-assisted memory, the fastest reflexes modern technology has to offer..."

"Hello, buddy-boy. Dick Jones here."

All samples from Robocop, as sampled in Solar Enemy, Welcome to Hell, 1991.

There's also a "we need ? for everything" sample that I can't place in the movie off the top of my head.  Any help?  Every other sample in the movie is from Robocop, so this is almost certainly from Robocop too.

Song is available on Solar Enemy's Dirty Vs Universe (album, Third Mind, 1991) or Body Rapture II (compilation, Zoth Ommog, 1992)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 10/10/08 at 5:38 am

The only sample of this type that I know of (sampling someone speaking) is My 1st Song by Jay-Z, which uses part of an interview with Notorious BIG. Specifically:

"I'm just, tryin to stay above water y'know just stay busy, stay workin. Puff told me like, the key to this joint, the key to staying, on top of things is treat everything like it's your first project, knahmsayin? Like it's your first day like back when you was an intern. Like, that's how you try to treat things like, just stay hungry"

All the other samples that I know of are samples of the actual music, maybe with lyrics, maybe without. I could spend all day reciting all those kinds of samples that I know, but that's not the point of the thread, is it?

Written By: Midas on 10/17/08 at 10:21 am

... BOSE, Batman (The Original Swing), from 1989's Spread the Word is the one you've probably heard.  Widespread club and alternative/dance radio play.

BOSE also did a track called "Robocop (Who-R-U)" with samples from the movie such as:

"Your move, creep!"
"DROP IT!"
"Dead or alive, you're coming with me!"
"Thank you for your cooperation."

Sleeze Boyz also released a "Robo Cop" track, and I can't remember which one or if both artists got in trouble with unauthorized samples (the latter used the movie sample "Who is he? What is he? Where does he come from?" as well as samples from Kraftwerk's "Trans Europe Express") as they also released a similar-sounding track titled "Dance 'Til You Drop" that basically removed any reference to Robocop.

I had all three 12" singles at one time but eventually dropped the DTYD record because I doubted I'd ever play it again since I had "Robo Cop". :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/19/08 at 1:43 am

BOSE also did a track called "Robocop (Who-R-U)" with samples from the movie such as:

Sleeze Boyz also released a "Robo Cop" track,

Sweet!  (The more I think about it, Robocop has got to be one of the most-sampled movies of all time.)

As soon as I saw "Your move, creep", I twigged on this one:

EDF (Electronic Dream Factory), Don't F*ck with Me, from 1992's Drama Dream.

"Your move" (creep!)
"Now move!" (bad guy)
do-do-d-d-do-"Don't F*CK with me!" (bad guy)
"I'm a desperate man!" (bad guy)
"This is BULLS*IT!" (bad guy)

- The track's basically a minute and a half of these samples, all basically repeated and sampled around in some kind of industrial-funk collage.  The rest of the album has a bunch of great samples from everything from Robocop to Gulf War I. 

There was also a techno track, Silver Bullet, and 20 Seconds To Comply.  Vaguely reminiscent of Prodigy's Firestarter, but with a more DnB-ish sound.

"Please put down your weapon.  You have twenty seconds to comply.  You now have 15 seconds to comply.  You now have 5 seconds to comply."
"Help!  Help me!"  (random screaming)
"Four. Three. Two. One.  I am now authorized to use deadly force." *BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM...*

Also sampled are the following four lines:
"I'll bet you think you're pretty smart, huh?  Think you can outsmart a bullet?"
"Stay out of trouble."
"You're gonna be a bad motherf-"
"Thank you for your cooperation"

And now I've gotta dig out my copy of TGT's Machine Gun, which brings together the glory of Robocop, Aliens, and Predator, all in eleven minutes of shoot-em-up industrial sampling glee.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/22/08 at 2:34 pm

The creepy voice providing the riff in RJD2's "The Horror" is from actor Gabriel Dell. It's from a spoken-word album that I used to own when I was a kid called Famous Monsters Speak, which featured two radio-style dramas with Frankenstein's Monster and Dracula.

"...time, time, time to understand the horror!!" and misc. is inner dialogue from Frankenstein's monster ruminating on his existence.

You can hear it all here http://sharebee.com/d2c9f56f via your favorite audio download service or http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cultradio/2007/11/12/Famous-Monsters-Speak-With-Gabriel-Dell-Dan-Curtis-Tribute-pt2 a free podcast (you have to wait for the boring hosts to shut up)

For Halloween time, this is well worth listening to if you have about 35 minutes to spare.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/29/08 at 12:06 am

Information Society, What's On Your Mind (Pure Energy, Discotech Remix), from Discotech vol. 20, Track 09.

0:49 and elsewhere: "Pure energy."  (Spock, Star Trek, probably Errand of Mercy)

0:50 and elsewhere: "Think about it..."  (I swear I've heard this somewhere.  Where? (EDIT: James T. Kirk, Star Trek, also from Mirror, Mirror))

1:32: "Welcome."  (I know I've heard this sampled somewhere else.  Where?  (EDIT: Also Gino Latino's Welcome, but where'd he get it from?))

2:05: "Think about all the things we shared, think about all the times we cared, when all of your hopes have come and gone, think about me and I'll be there" (Information Society, Think)

2:13: (The Jeopardy theme)

3:13: "It's worked so far, but we're not out yet" (Dr. McCoy, Star Trek, Mudd's Women)

4:27: "And now, ladies and gentlemen, one of the most original and unusual acts you'll ever see" (Kermit the Frog, almost certainly from an episode of The Muppet Show.)

4:35: "When the night has come / and the land is dark / and the moon is the only light you'll see // No I won't be afraid / oh, I won't be afraid / just as long as you stand / stand by me" (Ben E. King, Stand By Me)

5:57: "It is useless to resist us" (leader of the Halkan council, Star Trek, Mirror, Mirror)

6:16: "The search for truth..."  (unknown.  I have no idea where this was from)

6:28:  "Keep this frequency clear" (as sampled in Bomb the Bass, Beat Dis, but I don't know if anyone's ever tracked that one back to its source.)

6:29: "Thank you for your cooperation" (Robocop)

(You didn't think that mix was going to end without a Robocop sample, did you?  Even if you start out a track filled with Star Trek references, and cram everything from the Jeopardy theme, to Kermit the Frog introducing 60s soul master Ben E. King into the mix, there's always room for at least one Robocop sample.)

Written By: karen on 10/30/08 at 10:06 am

I heard this track again recently and wondered if the radio phone-in competition was real or just done for this track.

Also there is the words "He's alive" at ~47 seconds and 3.30 in the song.

drinking in LA video

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/30/08 at 1:30 pm

I heard this track again recently and wondered if the radio phone-in competition was real or just done for this track.

Also there is the words "He's alive" at ~47 seconds and 3.30 in the song.

drinking in LA video

Always sounded fake to me (Bran Van 3000 always has jokey, in-studio jabber full of jokes only they can get... :))
Can't help on the "He's (it's?) alive".

Written By: karen on 10/30/08 at 1:39 pm

Always sounded fake to me (Bran Van 3000 always has jokey, in-studio jabber full of jokes only they can get... :))
Can't help on the "He's (it's?) alive".

This is the only song of theirs I know so I hadn't realised it was typical for them.

Written By: Midas on 10/30/08 at 4:19 pm

Information Society, What's On Your Mind (Pure Energy, Discotech Remix), from Discotech vol. 20, Track 09.

0:50 and elsewhere: "Think about it..."  (I swear I've heard this somewhere.  Where?)

1:32: "Welcome."  (I know I've heard this sampled somewhere else.  Where?)

I don't know the original sources on each but "Think about it..." is used in InfoSoc's "Think" and in the Hot Tracks mix of Whigfield's "Think Of You" on issue 14-6.

If it's the "Welcome" sample I'm thinking of, it's used in Gino Latino's "Welcome".

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/30/08 at 10:16 pm

I don't know the original sources on each but "Think about it..." is used in InfoSoc's "Think" and in the Hot Tracks mix of Whigfield's "Think Of You" on issue 14-6.

Got it!  No wonder it sounds familiar, according to this guy's Star Trek site, it's also from Mirror, Mirror:

"The Minneapolis band (now  based in  New York)  "Information Society" likes
putting Star Trek quotes in their  songs.  "Pure Energy"  had Spock's line
"pure energy" (from "Errand  of Mercy")  in it  (and later  releases of the
song have McCoy saying something like "we're not out of this yet"), "Think"
has Kirk saying "Think about it" (from "Mirror, Mirror"), "Something in the
Air" has a  long scream  (apparently taken  from TOS),  and there's another
song (the name  escapes me)  that has  a line  from Spock,  Scott, or both.
Adam Nimoy (Leonard's son) is a fan and friend of the group."
  - Otto E. Hackman, Star Trek Music

If it's the "Welcome" sample I'm thinking of, it's used in Gino Latino's "Welcome".

Yep, that's the Welcome (legit 24kbps 60-second excerpt, MP3) sample I'm talking about.

I also dug through some megamixes, and it's definitely sampled repeatedly on Ultimix's Freestyle Flashback Medley (Ultimix 75, ca. 1999) at 0:32-0:45.  Which isn't surprising, since Gino's track opens up the (DMCA-nuked, but still the first thing Google returns when searching for ultimix 75 freestyle 1988) mix that I was talking about.

I mention the Ultmix medley because Gino's "Welcome" sample also sounds a lot like the guy (presumably an Ultimix DJ) who says "Flashback" at 0:19 after the numerical countdown that introduces the 1988 Flashback Megamix Part 1, but it might not be.  (But it might be.  The voices are similar, but there isn't enough to really be sure.  And the same, or a very similar, voice says "power" at 2:52ish.)

So as for who Gino sampled, we're getting closer...  Maybe.  All we really know is that it was in 87/88/89 at the latest.

Written By: Midas on 10/31/08 at 9:56 am

I mention the Ultmix medley because Gino's "Welcome" sample also sounds a lot like the guy (presumably an Ultimix DJ) who says "Flashback" at 0:19 after the numerical countdown that introduces the 1988 Flashback Megamix Part 1, but it might not be.  (But it might be.  The voices are similar, but there isn't enough to really be sure.  And the same, or a very similar, voice says "power" at 2:52ish.)

So as for who Gino sampled, we're getting closer...  Maybe.  All we really know is that it was in 87/88/89 at the latest.

I think the "Power" sample is also used in "Be My (Powerstation)" by Ché (aka St. Ché).

Written By: karen on 12/02/08 at 2:34 pm

Just heard Us and Them by Pink Floyd on the radio.  It has a spoken part that I thought might be a member of the 1980's Conservative government in Britain because I only heard the "short, sharp shock" phrase at first.

"I mean, they're not gunna kill ya, so if you give 'em a quick short,
sharp, shock, they won't do it again. Dig it? I mean he get off
lightly, 'cos I would've given him a thrashing - I only hit him once!
It was only a difference of opinion, but really...I mean good manners
don't cost nothing do they, eh?"

Written By: Paul on 12/02/08 at 3:37 pm

The rather tiresome Big Audio Dynamite would sample anything daft enough to stand in the way...

...and Primal Scream lifted a bit of dialogue from an old movie and stapled it onto the front of their hit 'Loaded'...

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/08 at 9:09 pm

The rather tiresome Big Audio Dynamite would sample anything daft enough to stand in the way...

I miss B.A.D.  I usually get chastised for this, but I quite liked them better than The Clash
'The Bottom Line' and 'Rush' are songs I will love until the end of days 8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/02/08 at 10:33 pm

...and Primal Scream lifted a bit of dialogue from an old movie and stapled it onto the front of their hit 'Loaded'...

along with everybody else!

The sample was from a 1966 Peter Fonda movie called The Wild Angels

"Just what is it that you want to do?"

Peter Fonda: (as Heavenly Blues) "We wanna be free!  We wanna be free to do what we wanna do!  We wanna be free to ride! We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!  And we wanna get loaded! (cheers)  And we wanna have a good time.  And that's what we're gonna do.  We're gonna have a good time... We're gonna have a party. "
  - from a Youtube link.

Chunks of this quote have appeared in Defcon's To Be Free, Mudhoney's If'n'Out of Grace, A Split Second's The Parallax View (Warp Mix, from the 1991 "Flesh and Fire" remix album) and of course, Primal Scream's Loaded.  And probably elsewhere.

Definitely one of those samples that everyone's heard, but has never seen the movie, myself included.  (Which is kind of a same, because it actually looks like a pretty good movie.)

Written By: Paul on 12/03/08 at 2:11 pm

Chunks of this quote have appeared in Defcon's To Be Free, Mudhoney's If'n'Out of Grace, A Split Second's The Parallax View (Warp Mix, from the 1991 "Flesh and Fire" remix album) and of course, Primal Scream's Loaded.  And probably elsewhere.

Barring Primal Scream, I've not heard of any of 'em!

I've not heard of the movie either, which probably makes it achingly cool for these bands to sample!

Written By: Signals7777 on 12/08/08 at 1:50 am

Kid Koala...Girl Talk...Avalanches...all of their works are created from extensive unauthorized samples.

Avalanches' big hit "Frontier Psychiatrist" definitely includes dialogue from a 60s Walt Disney movie (possilbly The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes) in its opening moments before the drum kicks in, but I have no idea where the rest of it comes from.

"Frontier Psychiatrist" contains samples from "Frontier Psychiatrist" written by John Robert Dobson, Published by the Estate of John Robert Dobson, Performed by Wayne and Shuster, Courtesy of Sony Music; and embodies a portion of "My Way of Life" written by Bert Kaempfert, Cral Sigman and Herber Rehbein, published by Screen Gems-EMI Music, Inc. (BMI) throughout the world excluding Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, where it is published by Bert Kaempfert Music Publishing GmbH (GEMA), and excluding the United States of America, its territories and possessions, where it is published by Screen Gems-EMI Music, Inc. and JPMC Music Inc. on behalf of itself and Ruth Rehbein Music (BMI). Used by permission. The initial words are sampled from the film Polyester.

Love This Song!!!

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/09/08 at 11:47 am

Wow...so now I know. I really thought it was from a Disney movie!  :D  karamel for u.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/27/08 at 2:16 am

This isn't really a voice sample, but you simply must google apache breaks 1973.  Something wonderful might happen if you click on "The Amen Break"'s blog.

Just about every hip-hop artist in existence (OK, I'm exaggerating, but only slightly) has sampled the Incredible Bongo Band's version of Apache, off 1973's Bongo Rock.  It's arguably the most sampled piece of music in history.

You'll then wind up learning about Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band, and his 2006 re-release of Bongo Rock, which features not only the entire 1973 album, but some very interesting updates on some old classics.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/25/09 at 9:58 pm

And now I've gotta dig out my copy of TGT's Machine Gun, which brings together the glory of Robocop, Aliens, and Predator, all in eleven minutes of shoot-em-up industrial sampling glee.

Done.  Mostly.  Any hints?  I've had fun going through the track, but I'm not going to spend six hours going through all three movies when there are hundreds of geeky brains out there who'll probably recognize the samples as they're quoted.

0:01
(clumping robot exoskeleton sounds) "Get away from her, you BITCH!" (Aliens)
(machine gun firing, alarm bells) "I LIKE IT!" (Robocop)

"We hear you!" (Help!, but I think it's Robocop)

0:30 Help!  I have no idea where these are from!
( computer-generated voice that's maddeningly familiar but I can't place the movie )
"I deal.  I win." (?)
"Y0u deal.  ?billion? ?siker? "you deal" (??)) 0:30ish

1:07:
"Come quietly, or there will be... trouble." (Robocop)
"APU start is go." (Buckaroo Banzai)

2:30:
"How do you feel?" (Aliens)
"Alright, I guess." (Aliens)

There's a "squeak" kind of sound effect at this time that sounds a lot like the "insert coin" from the Sega 1987 game "Afterburner", specfically at 2:40ish.  There's also a ripping sound from an 80s video game that sounds a little bit like it came from Tempest), at 3:05.  2:40 I'm pretty sure of, but 3:05 could just be a random keyboard effect. 

Back to the movies!

"I can handle myself" (Aliens)
"Leatherface, you bitch!" (Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2)
"Ho Chi Minh!" (Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2)
"'Nam flashback! 'Nam flashback!" (Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2)

The 11:58 Industrial TechnoAcid Mix diverges from the 6:15 original mix with an extended instrumental/sample break that includes:

"Second team move inside. Hicks, take the upper level!" (Aliens)

Both tracks feature:

"Ten seconds!" (Aliens)
"Uzi 9mm." (Terminator)
Are you decompressing, over?  (Buckaroo Banzai)
They are reading you on the localizer downrange.  Looks good, over.  (Buckaroo Banzai)
That's a ?? ?nuclear? missile (help!.  It sounds like something from Buckaroo Banzai, can't find it in my copy of the script.)

The 11:58 Industrial TechnoAcid also includes (at ~7:03 of 11:58):

HB88, this is Control. (Buckaroo Banzai)
APU start is go.  (Buckaroo Banzai)
You are on your onboard computer, over. (Buckaroo Banzai)
They are reading you on the localizer downrange.  Looks good, over. (Buckaroo Banzai)

The original 6:15 mix ends with:

"I'll be back." (Terminator)

The 11:58 mix ends with the Arnold Schwarzenegger / Terminator sample, but just after after the machine-gun fire fades out, there's one bonus sample:

"WHAT THE SH1T?" (Help!.  Based on the other samples, it's almost certainly from Robocop, Terminator, or Buckaroo Banzai, and I'd bet it's Robocop, but I can't remember exactly where in the movie it's from.  The remix was recorded in 1988, so any movies after 1989 are off the list.)

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/14/09 at 12:57 am

Calling for some help from Chicagoans.  Your 80s radio history is featured in a series of samples that I'm trying to figure out.  I've got most of 'em, but not all, and that's where you come in...

From a recent Freestyle thread, here are some samples from the Hot Tracks mix of Taffy's I Love My Radio.

The song has uncountable remixes from 1985-1987, the most notable of which featured station IDs from dozens of US radio stations, and second, because the change in lyrics for the UK taught me that (back in the 80s), very few DJs in the UK actually aired anything after midnight.  (to a North American, truly a scary thought!)

One version:
"Whoa-oh, my guy, the DJ after midnight,
Whoa-oh, my guy, on the midnight radio.
(I love my radio, my midnight radio.)"
  -- Most versions of Taffy, I Love My Radio.

The other version:
"Whoa-oh, my guy, the DJ up to midnight,
Whoa-oh, my guy, on the good time radio.
(I love my radio, my DJ's radio.)"
  -- a 4:03 remix that I don't have accurate information for, but if you listen for it, you can tell where the re-recorded words were inserted.  Can anyone identify this mix?

But the most interesting mix is the Hot Tracks mix, which opens up with:

"Chicago's greatest hits of all time - Magic 104"

and fills an extended instrumental break with numerous radio jingles, almost all of which are from the Chicago area.

"Just after 1 o'clock now at WXRT, Chicago's finest rock-"
"WCLR 102 FM, Chicago's light rock --"
"I got Stephanie Mills' album to toss out soon - GCI-"
"Check it out tomorrow morning, right here on 106 WCKG"
"WMED" (( maybe?  But WMED is in Maine! ))
"Alright, let's put one on the turntable here, Bob, Paul Revere and the Raiders, rock and roll roots, and I Had a Dream"
"Like I said before, if you'd like to hear a song, the number is 663-1693, here's Front 242..."

The last break features the following sample, which doesn't appear to refer to a Chicago radio station... or maybe it does, and I'm missing the reference.  Here's my first stab at a transcription:

"Hey, you're listening to Rock?(rod?) Radio, we're rockin', we're sockin', we're barkin' each other's face off on WKN?More? (and-more?) rock radio 2014 (WTF?) on your dial, playin' wax for you no one else will touch!" ((sorry, I've got no idea on this one!  2014's a nonsensical frequency for US AM or FM broadcasts, and Google confuses it with the year 2014.  Can anyone help - or at least convince me that I've misheard the sample? ))

-- all radio jingle/samples from the 8:39 Hot Tracks remix. 

OK, folks, what the h-e-doublehockeysticks was that last sample talking about?  And were WNED and WMED (or something that could be misheard for that) ever based in Chicago?

Written By: karen on 04/14/09 at 7:50 am

Did you have any long wave stations in the US?  It might have been 201.4KHz long wave?

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/27/09 at 11:59 pm

Did you have any long wave stations in the US?  It might have been 201.4KHz long wave?

...not that I knew of, nor, apparently, that anyone else here knew of!

On with a new sample discovery.

I haven't found the synthesizer-background track in Con$olidated's "Our Leader", but I have found the sample source for the following George H. W. Bush samples:

"As President, every morning I receive an intelligence briefing,"
"And the world is moving too fast to forecast with absolute certainty"
"Yet the morning news is often overtaken by"

All from Remarks and a Question-and-Answer Session at a Luncheon Hosted by the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco, California, February 7, 1990.

If you can find the Consolidated track (which should be pretty easy), the three samples from this source have the same audio background, where the other Bush I samples have no audio background. 

Now, for mega-bonus-points, can anyone identify (or does anyone remember a campaign speech, ad, etc?) the synthesizer background track that at one time accompanied a broadcast of this speech?  The track I'm looking for dates back to 1982-1984 at the latest.  It was a lifetime before I heard it re-appear in the 1991 Consolidated mash-up.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/23/09 at 12:43 am

In case you ever wondered about how those old-school DMC megamixes were created...

Legendary sampling DJ Paul Dakeyne explains how the Sigue Sigue Sputmix, along with the other DMC epic mixes, were created, on his blog, and yes, there are MP3s.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/09/09 at 12:56 am

It's late, and I'm transcribing samples again.

Which is a cheap way for me to bring lasers and Koto into the same sentence, and hop to Dragon's Legend, a 1988 Italo-synthpop piece also known as Dragon's Lair, after the 1983 laserdisc video game that was the source for its samples.  From the 7-minute version:

Samples:

"Please save me, the cage is locked with the key! The dragon keeps it around his neck! To slay the dragon, use the magic sword!"
  - Princess Daphne, Dragon's Lair

"Dragon's Lair!  The fantasy adventure where you become a valiant knight on a quest to rescue the fair princess from the clutches of an evil dragon!"
  - Attract Mode Narrator, Dragon's Lair

(almost inaudible) "Hmm..."
  - Dirk the Daring, Dragon's Lair

"Dragon's Lair!  You control the actions of a daring adventurer finding his way through the castle of a dark wizard, who has enchanted it with treacherous monsters and obstacles!"

"Oh!"

"In the mysterious caverns below the castle, your odyssey continues against the awesome forces that oppose your efforts to reach the Dragon's Lair!"

(( various unintelligible non-English samples ))
  - Unknown, not from the game.

"Lead on, adventurer!  Your quest awaits!"

All known samples from Dragon's Lair, Cinematronics, 1983.

Written By: Midas on 07/09/09 at 9:25 am

It's late, and I'm transcribing samples again.

Which is a cheap way for me to bring lasers and Koto into the same sentence, and hop to Dragon's Legend, a 1988 Italo-synthpop piece also known as Dragon's Lair, after the 1983 laserdisc video game that was the source for its samples.  From the 7-minute version:

Samples:

"Please save me, the cage is locked with the key! The dragon keeps it around his neck! To slay the dragon, use the magic sword!"

"Dragon's Lair!  The fantasy adventure where you become a valiant knight on a quest to rescue the fair princess from the clutches of an evil dragon!"

(almost inaudible) "Hmm..."
  - Dirk the Daring, Dragon's Lair

"Dragon's Lair!  You control the actions of a daring adventurer finding his way through the castle of a dark wizard, who has enchanted it with treacherous monsters and obstacles!"

"Oh!"

"In the mysterious caverns below the castle, your odyssey continues against the awesome forces that oppose your efforts to reach the Dragon's Lair!"

(( various unintelligible non-English samples ))
  - Unknown, not from the game.

"Lead on, adventurer!  Your quest awaits!"

All known samples from Dragon's Lair, Cinematronics, 1983.

Awesome find.  I have the opening sequence audio to Dragon's Lair and Space Ace downloaded.  I'll have to figure out what to do with them.  When I have time I'll have to find a way to work in the Borf bit from Space Ace into something.

"Earthlings must surrender to meeeeeeeeee!"

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/21/09 at 10:57 pm

A footnote to Koto's Dragon's Lair tribute.

Perhaps due to a rights mixup, Dragon's Legend (Siegfried's Mix), from the 1989 Masterpieces compilation, takes some pretty weird license with the original.

Around one minute into this 6:22 mix, Daphne's voice shows up, and she's clearly not sampled from the game, but is recorded by a voice actress.  Also, her line is slightly incorrect: "Oh could you save me, the key (!) is locked with the cage (!!)  The dragon keeps it around his neck! To save (!!!) the dragon, here's the magic sword!"

It's definitely "Oh, could you save me" instead of "please save me", and it sounds an awful lot like "here's the magic sword" instead of "use the magic sword", and it even sounds like they may played around with key/cage and slay/save. 

There's also one new (re-recorded) line that doesn't appear in the original mix: "Oh, there's the magic key!" after a break at around the 4:50 mark.

Oddly enough, the male narrator's voice is still sampled from the game, just passed through a vocoder.  But all of Daphne's lines have definitely been re-recorded from scratch.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/08/10 at 11:26 pm

TARGO - There's A Riot Goin' On.  It's a legit mix.  I have this 12" single.

Thanks again for sourcing this remix for me.  Been using Bruce Springsteen's TARGO mix of 57 Channels and Nothin' On as background music since things started to go south in Oakland in a thankfully-thus-far weak attempt to replay the carnage following the Rodney King verdict.  57 streams and nothin' on but the looting of a Foot Locker and a bank in a well-contained 2-block area.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/19/10 at 12:04 am

Not technically a voice sample, but an instrumental sample that formed a substantial part of Renegade Soundwave's Blue Eyed Boy in 1989, and which got picked up by Public Enemy in 1991 as the backbeat of By The Time I Get To Arizona:

Sample Source: Two Sisters of Mystery, Mandrill, 1973, from the album "Just outside of Town"

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/28/12 at 10:47 pm

"A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty, and to impress him, takes on multi-armed form, and says "Now I am become death: the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all felt that / one way or another."

- J. Robert Oppenheimer.

I don't have a date/time for the interview, but the Oppenheimer sample is the central focus of Adrian Sherwood's Forgive Yourself, from 2006's Becoming A Cliché.

Now for the hard part.

1) Find a copy of Forgive Yourself.
2) In that track, there's another string of samples that sounds like radio chatter.  "I said go ahead, take 'em out" "boy, I'm a tell you, it's hard to pull this trigger", "uh oh", "cease fire", "Roger, I was afraid of that.  I was really afraid of that.  I hope it's not friendly that I just blew up, 'cause they're all dead."
3) That "take 'em out" in the second string of samples sounds an awful lot like the "Take'm out" in KFMDM's thBtJ0uCDI4]Take'm Out, from 2009's Blitz.  (The KMFDM track also has samples of voices saying "hang in there" and "every single one of them".)

Two wars, three questions:

Cold War:

Cold War Q1: anyone got a link to the interview of Oppenheimer that got sampled?

War on Terra:

Terra War Q0: It sounds modern, and the proximity in time suggests that it's modern, but is it actually from Afghanistan or Iraq?
Terra War Q1: Is the sample source from "take 'em out" the same sample in the 2006 Sherwood track and the 2009 KFMDM track?
Terra War Q2: If it is, which incident is the sample source?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/29/12 at 12:01 am

SEVERED HEADS: BIG CAR

"All the way to the bottom, Maggie...you made it....Aaaiiiieeeeee!"
--Barbara Feldon as Maggie Miller on McMillan & Wife (1973)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XGSx47Tqvo

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/29/12 at 12:27 am

Front 242: Special Forces
(Apocalypse Now -- sample (they're talking about Col. Kurtz' bio): "He joins Special Forces, spe - spe - spe - special forces)

Skinny Puppy: Assimilate
(Marathon Man -- sample (Szell, the Nazi dentist/diamond dealer from Marathon Man): Is it safe?

Front 242: Geography album (1982) uses THX-1138
From Operating Tracks:We have to go back! This is your last chance.", "1138 What's wrong?" "1138 retract. . 1138 retract, someone's touching TTL integrated logic module. Switching to manual.", "Would you like a salt epidermal?", "1138 What's wrong?", "1138 You're getting Talbot contact", "We're tracked at 2.20, Vector oh seven niner, but we're making contact at point 0 0 3", "Now don't override here, this is critical.", "OK you can start your descent, thats it, slow down just a little bit, you're overriding point seven", "OK, hold it 1138" and many sound effects of the film. The song "GVDT" uses the same "What's wrong" vocal sample and the sound of the car is driven in the film.

Fires of Orc (Peter Namlook and Geir Jensen), sample Blade Runner on their eponymous track.  Roy Batty: Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc, Blade Runner itself borrowing from William Blake's "America: A Prophecy" (1793):
Fiery the Angels rose, and as they rose deep thunder roll'd
Around their shores, indignant burning with the fires of Orc;
And Boston's Angel cried aloud as they flew thro' the dark night.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/31/12 at 11:41 pm

From another thread:

The song is Doctorin' The House by Coldcut feat. Yazz & The Plastic Population. Obviously not the original 7" version, but some kind of remix that I'm not familiar with.

While stumbling around and failing to find the remix being sought, I came across this awesome walkthrough for "Hey Kids (What Time Is It)", which features a lot of the samples found in Doctorin' the House.

H0fIxbw2KXE
  - Audio walkthrough of all the samples in Hey Kids, What Time Is It?.

Huge credit to: spongebobfan879 for a three-year effort to compile the following answers:

"Say Kids, What Time Is It?" by Coldcut was one of the earliest recordings to be built entirely around samples. It came out in 1987, before M|A|R|R|S, S'Express and Bomb the Bass made their sample-built hit recordings. It was Coldcut's debut single, before they hit big with tracks like "Doctorin' the House". It still remains a classic sample recording.

Samples used:

1. Vocal sample ("Say kids, what time is it?") and sounds
Dialogue by "Buffalo" Bob Smith from the Howdy Doody theme song

2. Horn samples
Music from the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

3. Drum samples, raps and "party time" singing
Kurtis Blow - Party Time

4. Drum and horn samples
Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers - Bustin' Loose

5. Vocal sample ("Ah")
T La Rock - It's Yours

6. Clapping sample
Kurtis Blow - Christmas Rappin' (CORRECTION: THIS IS NOT A SAMPLE)

7. Guitar sample and vocal sample ("Huh")
Banberra - Shack Up

8. Scratching samples
Malcolm McLaren - World's Famous

9. Vocal sample ("Uh")
James Brown - Say It Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud

10. Drum sample after Kurtis Blow rap
Hot, Cold Sweat - Meet Me at the Go-Go

11. Vocal sample ("Beat dis")
Afrika Bambaataa & the Soulsonic Force - Looking for the Perfect Beat

12. Bongo sample
The Incredible Bongo Band - Apache

13. Vocal sample ("Yo, clap, clap, clap")
Kurtis Blow - The Breaks

14. Conga sample
Sound Experience - Boogie Woogie

15. Vocal sample ("Say what")
Trouble Funk - Say What?

16. Vocal sample ("Drop the bomb")
Trouble Funk - Drop the Bomb

17. Vocal sample ("Sex machine")
James Brown - (Get Up) I Feel Like Being a (Sex Machine) (Live)

18. Vocal sample ("U-u-uh"...)
Fat Boys - Disco 3/Human Beat Box

19. Vocal sample ("And...")
D-Train - Music

20. Flute instrumental sample
Theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, composed by Ennio Morricone

21. Go-go break and vocal sample ("P-p-pump me up")
Trouble Funk - Pump Me Up

22. Whistle sample
Ralph MacDonald - Jam on the Groove (CORRECTION: IT MIGHT BE FROM KOOL & THE GANG'S FUNKY STUFF)

23. Instrumental sample
Kool & the Gang - Jungle Jazz

24. Grunt samples
The Jimmy Castor Bunch - King Kong

25. Bongo sample and vocal sample ("All we need...")
Pumpkin and the Profile All-Stars - Here Comes That Beat!

26. Drum sample and vocal samples ("Ain't it funky" and "he-he")
James Brown - Funky Drummer

27. Vocal sample ("Now I'm...")
"I Wanna Be Like You" by King Louie, voiced by Louis Prima, from the film The Jungle Book

28. Vocal sample ("Fresh")
Fab 5 Freddy and Beeside - Change le Beat

29. Vocal sample ("Hit me")
James Brown - Get on the Good Foot

30. Instrumental sample and vocal sample ("Ha-ha-ha, everybody say...")
Grandmaster Flash - The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel (which samples Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - Freedom and The Furious Five - Birthday Party)

31. Vocal sample ("Agitate...") and horn sample
Brother D and Collective Effort - How We Gonna Make the Black Nation Rise? (horns interpolated from James Brown - Living in America)

32. Sounds
Malcolm McLaren - Buffalo Gals

33. Horn sample
Trouble Funk - Let's Get Small

34. Vocal sample ("Goodnight, kids")
Dialogue by "Buffalo" Bob Smith from Howdy Doody

35. Gong sample and vocal sample ("Please, somebody")
Herman Kelly & Life - Dance to the Drummer's Beat

36. Vocal sample ("That means stop")
Dialogue from the film The Jungle Book

...which I've copied here for posterity.  Commenters to the original thread he started are still active, and still filling in a few of the remaining blanks as recently as a couple of weeks ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...