inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Need help identifying song

Written By: sadio on 06/15/08 at 1:43 pm

Okay, so I was listening to a easy-rock music station today.
I heard a song that sounded like the The Beatles Song "With a little help from my friends". It had a very similiar beat to it (seemed like a sample of the beat/lyrics... general tone of the song) but it wasn't by The Beatles though.

The lyrics of the song in question and just the general tone was almost excately the same as the Beatles song, except the song in question was more fast-paced and it seems as if two people were singing the song at the same time (espcially the chorus of it).

Unfortnately, I don't remember any of the lyrics of the song in question, but if anyone has any idea as to what song this could be that would be great.

Thanks!

P.S. The song is not the Joe Cocker version either,

Subject: Re: Need help identifying song

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/08 at 1:47 pm

It was not by chance the Wet Wet Wet version of the song?

Written By: sadio on 06/15/08 at 2:17 pm

Nope its not that either. I'm not even sure if it was a cover or not, per se, but the song I hear definatly had the same beat as the original song. It could have been a song that used the insturmental of "With a little help from my friends", but a bit  more of a faster version of it.

Thanks for trying to help though, appreciate it!

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/16/08 at 9:40 pm

The lyrics of the song in question and just the general tone was almost excately the same as the Beatles song, except the song in question was more fast-paced and it seems as if two people were singing the song at the same time (espcially the chorus of it).

Could it be Kick Axe's 1985 cover of the Beatles' "With A Little Help From My Friends", from their album "Welcome to the Club"?

It's not particularly faster than the original, but there's a male/female duet involved. 

Written By: sadio on 06/29/08 at 12:41 am

Nope, that song was not it either. From what I remember the apparent version i heard had only male singers in it. hhhhhmmm, thanks for the help though!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/29/08 at 1:26 am

The Bee Gees/Peter Frampton did a version of it for the movie "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band".  Most people think the movie stank, but I loved it.  ;)  I doubt they'd play anything from that soundtrack though...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/08 at 1:28 am

The Bee Gees/Peter Frampton did a version of it for the movie "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band".  Most people think the movie stank, but I loved it.   ;)  I doubt they'd play anything from that soundtrack though...
The film stank so much I refuse to see it.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/29/08 at 1:47 am

I was an impressionable kid when it came out and I loved the Bee Gees at the time, so I kinda liked it.  I can see where Beatles fans would hate it, it was really pretty cheesy.  It had some really good performances in it though.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/29/08 at 2:10 am

Any chance it would be Sam & Mark - With A Little Help From My Friends  (which was done in 2004)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB0JnLlZom0

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/29/08 at 2:21 am

funny you should say that. My brother was over Thursday night and we were watching Youtube videos and he insisted we watch that, he said it was really good, but I am in agreement with you on your opinion of it it's odorousness

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/08 at 6:00 am

Any chance it would be Sam & Mark - With A Little Help From My Friends  (which was done in 2004)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB0JnLlZom0
Whatever happened to Sam & Mark?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/29/08 at 2:32 pm

Whatever happened to Sam & Mark?

I don't know really, I'd never heard of them until doing research for this question, so as far as I know they never made it over to the states (but then I'm not really good with music that wasn't recorded in the 70s/80s.  ;D

Ah...here's an update for ya.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_and_Mark

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/08 at 3:56 pm

I don't know really, I'd never heard of them until doing research for this question, so as far as I know they never made it over to the states (but then I'm not really good with music that wasn't recorded in the 70s/80s.   ;D

Ah...here's an update for ya.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_and_Mark
They were a British thing, only.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/01/08 at 2:15 am

They are using a version of this song for the new Hampton Inn (hotel) commercials.  I was able to find a sample of it online,
http://www.splendad.com/ads/show/2060-Hampton-With-a-Little-Help-From-My-Friends

I was able to find who did the version that they use in the commercial.

http://adtunes.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42043

Written By: Paul on 07/03/08 at 3:22 pm

I heard a song that sounded like the The Beatles Song "With a little help from my friends".

So is this song 'With A Little help From My Friends', or not?

A male duo called The Young Idea rushed out a cover version in 1967, when it became apparent The Beatles weren't going to release it as a single...

I shouldn't think this is what you heard, as this version gets aired extremely rarely!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/12/08 at 3:15 pm

From wiki:

"Cover interpretations

The song has been number one on the British singles charts three times; once when it was recorded by Joe Cocker in 1968, a second time when it was covered by Wet Wet Wet in 1988 and finally when it was sung by Sam and Mark in 2004. A second recording of Cocker singing the song was made at Woodstock in 1969 and can be seen in the documentary film about the concert, "3 Days of Peace and Music". The drummer on the 1968 Joe Cocker hit single version of the song was Procol Harum's B.J. Wilson. In 1976, Jeff Lynne of ELO recorded the song for the evanescent musical documentary All This and World War II.

In 1995, Tori Amos released a cover on the unauthorized (bootleg) album Under the Covers. This version is a sparse live performance with Amos singing solo, accompanied only by her piano.

In 2007, Razorlight re-recorded the song for It Was 40 Years Ago Today, a television film with contemporary acts recording the album's songs using the same studio, technicians and recording techniques as the original.

Actors Joe Anderson and Jim Sturgess sang the song in the 2007 musical film Across the Universe. (See also "Joe Cocker version" below.)

The song appears on the album Herb Alpert's Ninth, rendered in the band's mariachi style."

Check for new replies or respond here...