inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rihanna Umbrella question

Written By: AshKetchum2001 on 10/18/08 at 7:29 pm

A couple of months ago, I heard an 80s song and rihanna was singing "Umbrella" while this 80s song is playing. If anyone heard this version before, can you tell me what the name of the 80s song is?

Subject: Re: Rihanna Umbrella question

Written By: karen on 10/18/08 at 7:53 pm

Just checking that you are not muddling up with the Rhianna song SOS which has Soft Cell's Tainted Love as the background music

Written By: AshKetchum2001 on 10/19/08 at 10:11 am

Just checking that you are not muddling up with the Rhianna song SOS which has Soft Cell's Tainted Love as the background music

No, the Rhianna song Umbrella has a different 80s song as the background music. You know, the one that has a keyboard that sounds like bells.

Written By: nally on 10/19/08 at 3:47 pm

I don't think "Umbrella" utilizes any sampled song in the background. I've heard it countless times and don't sense any samples of anything. I could be wrong though.

Written By: karen on 10/19/08 at 3:57 pm

The only mention I could find of anything to do with the song 'sampling' something was about the beat being a loop from Apple called "Vintage Funk Kit 03".

The wikipedia article mentions numerous cover versions though.  Perhaps the OP is getting muddled with one of those?

Written By: ThaConqueror on 10/20/08 at 2:36 am

I think you might be referring to Party Ben's mashup "Tender Umbrella" which combines the acapella for Umbrella with the instrumental (and some of the lyrics) for General Public's "Tenderness". Awesome stuff (I'm really big on the mashups).

If this isn't what you were referring to, oh well, new song/genre for you!

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/20/08 at 9:33 pm

And if that wasn't it, how about A plus D's mash-up:  Fascination Umbrella. (Rihanna vs. The Cure)

The wonderful thing about mash-ups is that they're usually made available by their original DJs.  The horrible thing about 'em is that there are so many of them that it's almost impossible to identify one unless you know both tracks.  The really wonderful thing that makes it all worthwhile it is that you often find some pretty cool stuff while trying to track down the mash-up that inspired the search in the first place.

Written By: AshKetchum2001 on 10/21/08 at 6:19 am

I think you might be referring to Party Ben's mashup "Tender Umbrella" which combines the acapella for Umbrella with the instrumental (and some of the lyrics) for General Public's "Tenderness". Awesome stuff (I'm really big on the mashups).

If this isn't what you were referring to, oh well, new song/genre for you!

That's It! That's the song i've been looking for!

Written By: karen on 10/21/08 at 8:10 am

Well done conqueror of parodies!

Written By: ThaConqueror on 10/22/08 at 1:25 am

w00t! Go me! Glad to be of assistance.

Check for new replies or respond here...