inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Extravagant (Sabre Dance): do-do-do-do, do-do-do-do, drrro-do-do-do

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 02/14/10 at 6:58 pm

If I don't find out the name of this song, I'm gonna go slightly mad!  :D

What is the name of this classical music that plays in the current Hyundai radio ads I hear all the time on KRXO? It is very cliche and is used when somebody performs an extravagant or daring act, such as balancing plates. It's very minimalist and sounds like maybe Philip Glass or something.

I seem to remember Whoopi Goldberg on Muppets Tonight doing something like this to this music. She balanced plates, I think, and did something with glasses, which led to a Phill Up Glass joke.

It's very, very fast and heart-racing. It starts with an E note, and it's the same not being played over and over like this:

Do-do-do-do, do-do-do-do
Drrrrroo-do-do-do, do-do-do-do
Drrrrroo-do-do-do

And then the note changes when it reaches:

Do-do-dooooo, do do-do doooo

It's a very famous piece of cliche classical music used in many different mediums, but I can't seem the find the name of it or its composer. It was even parodied by Colin Mochrie on Whose Line is it Anyway? balancing plates.

I would very much appreciate it if you could help me. Thank you a billion! :)

Subject: Re: Extravagant classical music that goes: do-do-do-do, do-do-do-do, drrro-do-do-do

Written By: karen on 02/14/10 at 7:25 pm

Just a first idea

Not the Jaws theme?

Subject: Re: Extravagant classical music that goes: do-do-do-do, do-do-do-do, drrro-do-do-do

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 02/14/10 at 7:47 pm

Not the Jaws theme?

Not even close. You would know this song if you heard it. It's waaaay more minimal than Jaws.  It's a little less John Williams and a little more Philip Glass, unless I am misattributing the composer.

Do-do-do-do, do-do-do-do
Drrrrroo-do-do-do, do-do-do-do
Drrrrroo-do-do-do
Do-do-dooooo, do do-do doooo

Anybody know it?

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 02/14/10 at 7:58 pm

It's called "Sabre Dance" by Khachaturian!

Thank you to Kickass Classical.com and to everybody else for their help.

Check for new replies or respond here...