inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you know this 60s song?

Written By: K1chyd on 11/03/10 at 3:02 am

Back in the 60s it was very common for trobadours and singer/songwriters in minor languages to translate foreign material without letting on that they did (and since copyright wasn't enforced on the level it is today, especially over borders, they generally got away with). For one the most famous swedish accoustic guitar song from this era is a blatant ripp of "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah".

That said I'm asking if any of you recognize this song, recorded 1970 in Sweden, with a lyrics about how everyone is lying to the common man; meteorologist, judges, politicians, doctors and even artists themselves. Could it be a translate from an English or American song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBG3QsuWEvk

If so I'm guessing that the original is called "Liar" (but remember, that's just a guess) and that the first line of every verse goes something like this:

"The xxx is a liar, xxx xxx is a liar, the xxx is a liar - and so are all of us" (again, just a guess).

Subject: Re: Do you know this 60s song?

Written By: karen on 11/03/10 at 9:05 am

Back in the 60s it was very common for trobadours and singer/songwriters in minor languages to translate foreign material without letting on that they did (and since copyright wasn't enforced on the level it is today, especially over borders, they generally got away with). For one the most famous swedish accoustic guitar song from this era is a blatant ripp of "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah".

That said I'm asking if any of you recognize this song, recorded 1970 in Sweden, with a lyrics about how everyone is lying to the common man; meteorologist, judges, politicians, doctors and even artists themselves. Could it be a translate from an English or American song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBG3QsuWEvk

If so I'm guessing that the original is called "Liar" (but remember, that's just a guess) and that the first line of every verse goes something like this:

"The xxx is a liar, xxx xxx is a liar, the xxx is a liar - and so are all of us" (again, just a guess).

It sounds familiar, but googling on likely lyrics hasn't turned anything up so far.  I'll keep searching and thinking.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/04/10 at 9:22 pm

Well, I haven't a clue, but a little googling on that album cover gives me...

Stefan Demert, the album was from 1970 (Here's a more complete Visor for Smutsiga Oron (and that last link has audio samples of each track!). 

That's not gonna give you the complete lyrics, but it'll give you enough to figure out which track it was.  You can probably use that to google (either in Swedish, or just by ignoring the accents like us English-speakers) for the lyrics, and then punch the Swedish lyrics into Google Translate to get a reasonable English translation. 

If you know Swedish, you should be able to take the machine translation to English that was provided by Google, and fix the parts that the machine got wrong... for us, because now we're intrigued.

(Well, I'm intrigued, and I don't even speak a word of Swedish beyond the "bork bork bork" joke from a US-based 1970s TV show... :)

Written By: karen on 11/05/10 at 8:45 am

Foo bar

I think K1chyd is Swedish (or somewhere Scandinavian).  He wants an English title (and artiste) for a real English song so he can post a parody to it and people will know the original song.

Written By: K1chyd on 11/05/10 at 11:42 am

Foo bar

I think K1chyd is Swedish (or somewhere Scandinavian).  He wants an English title (and artiste) for a real English song so he can post a parody to it and people will know the original song.

Yes I am, and yes I do... :-)

Check for new replies or respond here...