inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Four Shades Of Love, does anyone remember this song?

Written By: Ed216 on 07/14/12 at 6:16 pm

Hi all. When I was a kid growing up (70s and 80s) I remember one of my older sisters had a nice collection of 45 singles from the 60s and into the 70s. She had a single of this song so this song might be from the 60s or 70s I'm not sure. I remember it was titled Four Shades Of Love and it was more of a slow tempo song and it was sung by a man but I don't remember his name! And I just want to know who sang it. I've hunted all over the Internet but I can't find it or any references to it anywhere. All I can remember of the lyrics now is a line that goes "his wife begs and screams and he expounds on broken dreams" if that helps at all. If anyone can tell me who it was that sang that song I'd really appreciate it. I thought it was a good song and I liked it a lot. Thanks!

Ed.

Subject: Re: Four Shades Of Love, does anyone remember this song?

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/15/12 at 12:45 am

Hi all. When I was a kid growing up (70s and 80s) I remember one of my older sisters had a nice collection of 45 singles from the 60s and into the 70s. She had a single of this song so this song might be from the 60s or 70s I'm not sure. I remember it was titled Four Shades Of Love and it was more of a slow tempo song and it was sung by a man but I don't remember his name! And I just want to know who sang it. I've hunted all over the Internet but I can't find it or any references to it anywhere. All I can remember of the lyrics now is a line that goes "his wife begs and screams and he expounds on broken dreams" if that helps at all. If anyone can tell me who it was that sang that song I'd really appreciate it. I thought it was a good song and I liked it a lot. Thanks!

Ed.

I can't find a YouTube link or MP3, but the timeframe is right:

Henson Cargill, Four Shades of Love, from a compilation of songs from 1967-1970.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Henson-Cargill-Four-Shades-Love-Country-45-NM-/24/!B0!N-1wBGk~$%28KGrHqUOKjsE%29OkY19%28fBMYbbkz8sQ~~_12.JPG
- image from an eBay auction for a 45RPM Monument MH45-1198 / H9W-2951 / 3:53 / vinyl single.  Henson Cargill, Four Shades of Love

Also, if you hit up eBay, there are a few 45RPM singles.

Written By: Ed216 on 07/15/12 at 11:50 pm

Yes I think that's it! Thank you so much Foo Bar. :) I've been trying to figure it out for a long time now.

Ed.

Written By: Ed216 on 07/16/12 at 8:50 pm

I went and read the Wikipedia article about Henson Cargill. The thing is Four Shades Of Love isn't mentioned as one of his singles. So it must've been the "B" side of the single whatever it was. It's funny but I don't remember what the song was on the other side of the record at all. But I think Four Shades Of Love is a terrific song!

Ed.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/18/12 at 9:29 pm

I went and read the Wikipedia article about Henson Cargill. The thing is Four Shades Of Love isn't mentioned as one of his singles. So it must've been the "B" side of the single whatever it was. It's funny but I don't remember what the song was on the other side of the record at all. But I think Four Shades Of Love is a terrific song!

Ed.

Glad to help out!  A little more digging on that H9W-2951 number yielded this:

H9W-2951 FOUR SHADES OF LOVE 45-1198/SLP-18137 OMNI-101 ca 1969 unknown - Henson Cargill

And an album:

Monument SLP-18137 The Uncomplicated Henson Cargill: What's My Name?; The Pain Will Go Away; I Washed My Face In The Morning Dew; The Most Uncomplicated Goodbye I've Ever Heard; Me And Bobby Mcgee; Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town; Four Shades Of Love; Going Backwards; Reprints (Plastic People); I Wonder Where They'll Sleep Tonight; Ruben James - 04-70 (MX: I2Y-641/2)

Written By: Ed216 on 07/19/12 at 8:18 pm

Hey thanks for the information.

Ed.

Check for new replies or respond here...