inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1980s song I.D. help, please...

Written By: The Valley Goth on 10/29/12 at 11:04 pm

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

I was watching two talent show videos on YouTube.  The videos allowed me to see the entire talent show that was put on at Portage Northern High School (Michigan) during 1989.  The end of the first video, and the beginning of the second video, featured a dance act, the girls of which called themselves "The Gold Company Dancers".

My question is: "Which song did the dancers use?"  I know that the song must have been released during the early part of 1989, at the latest, but I have no idea about who sang it, what the lyrics are, or when it was released.  I can't really decide what the lyrics are, as they are tough to understand.

I have literally looked up numerous songs, based upon numerous, possible lyrics, and I've not been able to find the song.  I love that song, and the fact that I can't seem to identify it is driving me crazy!  One of my friends seems to think that Sheena Easton sang the song, but none of the Sheena Easton songs that I've looked up seem to be the song that I'm looking for.

The following urls will allow you to see the same talent show that I watched; I'm sorry about the sexist high school boys, but I can't help what they said during 1989:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qERAKrJ53xw&feature=relmfu

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuR5LMyurCw&feature=relmfu

If you are able to identify the song that's driving me crazy, I'll be forever grateful to you!
8)

Subject: Re: 1980s song I.D. help, please...

Written By: Henk on 10/30/12 at 6:15 am

The song is Doctorin' The House by Coldcut feat. Yazz & The Plastic Population. Obviously not the original 7" version, but some kind of remix that I'm not familiar with.

Here's the 12" version as found on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWVhcVzti7A

MTA: Maybe Claybricks or Foo Bar can tell you what remix it is, 'cause I can't find it. :(

Written By: The Valley Goth on 10/31/12 at 9:06 pm

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

Thanks to the max, I'm totally shurr!  I officially love you...in a purely social way, of course!  You'll be getting a Karma once I've made 100 posts, Dude!
;D 

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/31/12 at 11:30 pm

The song is Doctorin' The House by Coldcut feat. Yazz & The Plastic Population. Obviously not the original 7" version, but some kind of remix that I'm not familiar with.

Here's the 12" version as found on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWVhcVzti7A

MTA: Maybe Claybricks or Foo Bar can tell you what remix it is, 'cause I can't find it. :(

Nailed the track in one. 

I'm also at a loss as to which remix it is.  All the ones I know/have are 120BPM, and this appears to be faster.  (Maybe the Upset Mix or Miami Mix sped up to be beatmached with whatever's playing at the very start of the second video?)

Written By: Henk on 11/01/12 at 3:11 am

Nailed the track in one. 

I'm also at a loss as to which remix it is.  All the ones I know/have are 120BPM, and this appears to be faster.  (Maybe the Upset Mix or Miami Mix sped up to be beatmached with whatever's playing at the very start of the second video?)

Yeah, same here. I'm thinking it may have been some local DJ at work there - no official remix.

Written By: The Valley Goth on 12/19/12 at 1:37 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

The talent show version of the song sounds rather like a sped-up rendition of "The Upset Remix", but since it's sped up, it could be called "The Doctored Upset Remix"!  Sorry, but I couldn't resist...LOL!

Oh, and now for The Million Dollar Question: "Which movie characters, political figures, pop culture icons, etc., are being referenced through the quotes that are said during the song?" ;D  I'm especially curious about "That wicked plastic man!"  I need to start searching for some of those quotes on Google, anyway, because I really like a few of them, but I have absolutely no idea about the origins of ANY of them!
8)

Written By: Henk on 12/19/12 at 2:16 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

The talent show version of the song sounds rather like a sped-up rendition of "The Upset Remix", but since it's sped up, it could be called "The Doctored Upset Remix"!  Sorry, but I couldn't resist...LOL!

Oh, and now for The Million Dollar Question: "Which movie characters, political figures, pop culture icons, etc., are being referenced through the quotes that are said during the song?" ;D  I'm especially curious about "That wicked plastic man!"  I need to start searching for some of those quotes on Google, anyway, because I really like a few of them, but I have absolutely no idea about the origins of ANY of them!
8)

I suggest you follow this link to see a listing of the samples used. Or at least the ones idetified so far. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...