inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lyrical cliches

Written By: Stompgal on 08/14/13 at 10:22 am

Hello all,

I know it's been a while since I last posted on this board but one topic I thought of that I could discuss on here is lyrical cliches. Are there any cliches that drive you insane or are sick and tired of? Here are some examples I can think of:

Rhyming fire with desire or the other way around ('Say You'll Be Mine ' by Steps, 'Biology' by Girls Aloud and 'The Power of Love' by Frankie Goes to Hollywood/Gabrielle Aplin)
Rhyming take my hand with understand or the other way around ('What Took You So Long?' By Emma Bunton)
Throw your hands in the air, wave them like you just don't care or something similar (’Word Up' by Cameo, 'Everybody (Backstreet's Back)’ by BSB, 'We Can't Stop' by Miley Cyrus and 'Number 1’ by Tweenies)
Anything to do with breaking/broken hearts ('I Wanna Be The Only One' by Eternal, 'Break You Heart' by Taio Cruz plus many more) At least Toni Braxton uses this cliche in a new way with her song 'Un-break My Heart.'
Taking a sip from the Devil's cup ('Movin' On Up' by M People, 'Toxic' by Britney Spears)
Lion's den ('House of Fun' by Madness, 'Kiss Kiss' by  Holly Valance, 'Wide Awake' by Katy Perry)
Owning the night ('Firework' by Katy Perry, The Wanted)
The party don't stop ('Tik Tok' by Ke$ha - in fact pretty much all. Her songs are about partying, having a good time etc)

Subject: Re: Lyrical cliches

Written By: The Valley Goth on 08/14/13 at 6:51 pm

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

* "Up in the club"= ARG!
* Any mispronnunciation of a word, just so that it'll rhyme with another word= Why, why, WHY do they keep doing this, especially today?
* "Get out on the floor!"= Oooh, no!  Not AGAIN, people!
* "You set me free!"= I love that Michelle Branch song, but these words themselves are overused, in various forms, in songs!
* "Walk away!"= There again, overused!
8)

Written By: Stompgal on 08/15/13 at 6:51 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

* "Up in the club"= ARG!
* Any mispronnunciation of a word, just so that it'll rhyme with another word= Why, why, WHY do they keep doing this, especially today?
* "Get out on the floor!"= Oooh, no!  Not AGAIN, people!
* "You set me free!"= I love that Michelle Branch song, but these words themselves are overused, in various forms, in songs!
* "Walk away!"= There again, overused!
8)

Yeah, I agree with anything to do with being in the club (50 Cent, I'm looking at you), on the floor (J-Lo), being set free and walking away (Craig David, Kelly Clarkson, you name it!).

Written By: WhoDat on 11/19/13 at 10:57 pm

Yeah, I agree with anything to do with being in the club (50 Cent, I'm looking at you), on the floor (J-Lo), being set free and walking away (Craig David, Kelly Clarkson, you name it!).

The specific, repeated phrase, contained in all current radio pop, always heavily autotuned:

"Whoa-oh! Whoa-oh! ..."

Check for new replies or respond here...