inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A song-ID story

Written By: WhoDat on 11/06/13 at 12:06 am

In college in 1974 my dorm had awesome parties in our ground-floor dining hall where they would stack the tables and chairs in corner, roll the big house speakers out of the closet, turn off the lights, and play great tunes on a good sound system til all hours.  Sometimes happy girls would dance naked in the dark, and it being springtime, this was all most memorable and impressive to a freshman.  There was a particular song that was played once in these circumstances, that I remembered thereafter, and occasionally years later when it came back to me I would try to identify it, though I recalled none of the words, only the haunting instrumental that sounded so great filling that big dark room in the spring night.  But of course, this was long before the internet, and trying to ID unknown songs with no lyrics to go on, was essentially futile.  Eventually, I forgot about it.

And then, one day in 2004, suddenly it played on the radio where I was working--the first time I had heard it in 30 years!  I swear my jaw dropped and my hair stood on end.  I stopped what I was doing and stood with my ear glued to the crappy portable radio, determined to hear the announcer recap the set after it ended. Thankfully, he did so!

Despite my 30 years of frustration, I'm sure ID-ing this song will be cake for the denizens here, so here ya go... it's an acoustic guitar ballad with male vocals, major flute instrumental refrain, and little else except some unnecessary over-the-top string embellishments (that a meddling producer probably added to an otherwise perfect song). No bass or percussion. Obviously, it's from Spring 1974 or earlier.

Subject: Re: A song-ID story

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/13 at 1:16 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj23_nDFSfE

"Do The Hustle" by Van McCoy was released in 1975, and the mention of the flutes gave the song title to me.

btw, my memories are of this song are different from yours.

Subject: Re: da Hustle

Written By: WhoDat on 11/06/13 at 2:13 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj23_nDFSfE

"Do The Hustle" by Van McCoy was released in 1975, and the mention of the flutes gave the song title to me.

btw, my memories are of this song are different from yours.

Heh, funny that should come to mind... tootly toot doo... but it was definitely early 74, pre-Hustle, and not at all disco. Though there are cheesy strings on the Hustle too.

Written By: warped on 11/06/13 at 6:34 am

In college in 1974 my dorm had awesome parties in our ground-floor dining hall where they would stack the tables and chairs in corner, roll the big house speakers out of the closet, turn off the lights, and play great tunes on a good sound system til all hours.  Sometimes happy girls would dance naked in the dark, and it being springtime, this was all most memorable and impressive to a freshman.  There was a particular song that was played once in these circumstances, that I remembered thereafter, and occasionally years later when it came back to me I would try to identify it, though I recalled none of the words, only the haunting instrumental that sounded so great filling that big dark room in the spring night.  But of course, this was long before the internet, and trying to ID unknown songs with no lyrics to go on, was essentially futile.  Eventually, I forgot about it.

And then, one day in 2004, suddenly it played on the radio where I was working--the first time I had heard it in 30 years!  I swear my jaw dropped and my hair stood on end.  I stopped what I was doing and stood with my ear glued to the crappy portable radio, determined to hear the announcer recap the set after it ended. Thankfully, he did so!

Despite my 30 years of frustration, I'm sure ID-ing this song will be cake for the denizens here, so here ya go... it's an acoustic guitar ballad with male vocals, major flute instrumental refrain, and little else except some unnecessary over-the-top string embellishments (that a meddling producer probably added to an otherwise perfect song). No bass or percussion. Obviously, it's from Spring 1974 or earlier.

When you said  "major flute instrumental refrain"...I'm thinking...Jethro Tull. If you are familiar with their work..could it be them?
I was thinking of "Living in the past"

Also thinking of "Nights in white satin" - Moody Blues

Written By: WhoDat on 11/06/13 at 11:43 pm

When you said  "major flute instrumental refrain"...I'm thinking...Jethro Tull. If you are familiar with their work..could it be them?
I was thinking of "Living in the past"

Also thinking of "Nights in white satin" - Moody Blues

Yep, it's Tull... but not "Living in the Past"... same era though!  As mentioned, acoustic, no drums, no bass. Some keyboard background.  Unnecessary strings in second half.

(remember as described above I already found out what the song is, just giving you-all a chance to crack it too and as expected, it didn't take long for you all to hone in on it!)

Written By: Henk on 11/07/13 at 3:49 am

Yep, it's Tull... but not "Living in the Past"... same era though!  As mentioned, acoustic, no drums, no bass. Some keyboard background.  Unnecessary strings in second half.

(remember as described above I already found out what the song is, just giving you-all a chance to crack it too and as expected, it didn't take long for you all to hone in on it!)

The only two songs by Jethro Tull I know are BourĂ©e (a big hit over here) and Locomotive Breath (oddly enough, not a hit over here).  :-\\

Written By: Rediscovery-101 on 11/07/13 at 7:30 am

Somebody... Anybody... Please send me a page link that has this elusive 'New Topic' button or where other than this 'quick reply' box or 'messages' one can post things or start a topic.  For some reason, MY page seems to have neither.  Here is the quote from the On-Line manual:
Starting a New Topic

Go to the board where you wish to post and click on the New Topic button (positioned by default at both the top and the bottom of the board), which will take you to the Start New Topic screen. While this presents a number of options, the two most important are the Subject field and main text area for the message itself. Enter your subject and start typing (or paste) your message in the main text area. Once you are happy with your message, you can post it by clicking the Post button and/or preview it first by using the Preview button. Some forums may be configured to offer an additional Spell Check button alongside the Post and Preview options.

Thank you for sending this to admin or the help desk, which I also 'find' difficult to find!

Thanks from Rediscovery-101

Written By: karen on 11/07/13 at 11:33 am

At Rediscovery.

can I ask whereabouts in the world you are posting from?  I know that someone posting from Spain was looking at a translated site and the new topic button wasn't available to him for some reason.  I think that has been sorted now but yours might be a similar problem.

Added

The new topic button is located on the right hand side of the side, immediately above where it says "Last Post".  You have the options of new topic, new poll, notify and mark read

Written By: Henk on 11/07/13 at 1:44 pm

Somebody... Anybody... Please send me a page link that has this elusive 'New Topic' button or where other than this 'quick reply' box or 'messages' one can post things or start a topic.  For some reason, MY page seems to have neither.  Here is the quote from the On-Line manual:
Starting a New Topic

Go to the board where you wish to post and click on the New Topic button (positioned by default at both the top and the bottom of the board), which will take you to the Start New Topic screen. While this presents a number of options, the two most important are the Subject field and main text area for the message itself. Enter your subject and start typing (or paste) your message in the main text area. Once you are happy with your message, you can post it by clicking the Post button and/or preview it first by using the Preview button. Some forums may be configured to offer an additional Spell Check button alongside the Post and Preview options.

Thank you for sending this to admin or the help desk, which I also 'find' difficult to find!

Thanks from Rediscovery-101

In addition to Karen's post, I've attached a screenshot. You should be able to see the "New Topic" button there clearly.

To get help from the administrator or other board moderators: first click on the "Home" button. Then select the "Lend a Wing Up" section (listed under "System Stuff"). You should be able to start a new topic with the help of the "New Topic" button as shown in my image/screenshot.

If, for some reason, the "New Topic" button is not showing for you, it might have something to do with your settings (firewalls?), or maybe it's the browser you're using.

Written By: warped on 11/07/13 at 1:58 pm

Gotcha... ;)

Written By: Paul on 11/13/13 at 2:17 pm

I'm pretty sure it can't be 'The Witch's Promise' (my favourite from them!) as that has a very quietish drum background in it - everything else seems to fit, though...

Even if it is, or isn't...it's still a great song, which I've just dug out and played!

Written By: WhoDat on 11/16/13 at 8:36 pm

I'm pretty sure it can't be 'The Witch's Promise' (my favourite from them!) as that has a very quietish drum background in it - everything else seems to fit, though...

Even if it is, or isn't...it's still a great song, which I've just dug out and played!

Wow! I never heard that song of theirs, before just listening to the cool version below. It is wild! Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0GAuexrVzo

I may have been kissed by a witch in the wood around that time... but that isn't the song... it has no drums per above previous clues. It's from the "Stand Up" era.

Written By: Paul on 11/18/13 at 2:19 pm

Wow! I never heard that song of theirs, before just listening to the cool version below. It is wild! Thanks!

Pleasure! And I gotta admit that I was scratching my head a lot with this original riddle...

Possibly this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iybAyDFrhhI

If it is, then you've returned the favour! Not one of theirs that immediately sprang to my mind, but it's a real fine song...

Written By: WhoDat on 11/19/13 at 12:48 am

Pleasure! And I gotta admit that I was scratching my head a lot with this original riddle...

Possibly this?

If it is, then you've returned the favour! Not one of theirs that immediately sprang to my mind, but it's a real fine song...

That's it - you got it!  Yes a fine song--and if only they'd left off the string section in the second half, a perfect song...

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/20/13 at 10:33 pm

Possibly this?

Jethro Tull's Reasons for Waiting: Because inthe00s.com users might take a few guesses to get it, but we always figure it out.

Check for new replies or respond here...