inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Can Anyone Please Help Me Identify these Rare (possibly Canadian) 80's Songs?

Written By: crystalc1973 on 01/20/14 at 12:20 pm

Hi All,
I am trying to find the name/artist of 3 apparently rare songs from the 80's. I remember hearing them on the radio when I was growing up in Canada, I'm not sure if they are Canadian though. Anyhow the best description I can give of each one are as follows:

1. circa 1980 - pop or easy listening, male vocalist, the lyrics I remember are "there are so many things I want to tell you, so many things I need to say, can I come in? can I come in? can I come in-n-nnnnnn-nnnn? la da da da da da da."  or something like that.

2. circa 1982 - new wave or funk, female vocalist or group, lyrics I remember go "talkin' bout, talkin' bout my pride and joy....joy, joy, joyyyyyy, my pride and joy, joy-yy, joy-yy, joy."

3. circa mid to late 80's - rock, male vocalist, lyrics I remember go " lost in the driving rain, I'm lost in the driving rain"...that's all I can recall from that one.

Hope someone has some recollection of any of these songs, because I sure can't find them anywhere online.
thanks

Subject: Re: Can Anyone Please Help Me Identify these Rare (possibly Canadian) 80's Songs?

Written By: warped on 01/20/14 at 12:43 pm

Hi Crystal.

1. Is "Can I come near" by Graham Shaw. He is Canadian. It's such a good song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A9uWJ6e9CE

2. This one I am guessing because it's a male vocalist that pops to mind. Stevie Ray Vaughn  song "Pride and joy". (1983)

Subject: Re: Can Anyone Please Help Me Identify these Rare (possibly Canadian) 80's Songs?

Written By: crystalc1973 on 01/20/14 at 12:48 pm

Thanks, Warped.  The first one is right....glad that mystery is solved!

Hi Crystal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A9uWJ6e9CE

2. This one I am guessing because it's a male vocalist that pops to mind. Stevie Ray Vaughn  song "Pride and joy". (1983)

Written By: warped on 01/20/14 at 12:55 pm

My pleasure.
There are a couple of other Canadians that might be able to help with the rest.  Maybe someone from outside of Canada might help too.

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/21/14 at 3:04 pm

Where's Jason?  He's a whiz at this  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/14 at 3:05 pm

Have you PMed him?

Written By: warped on 01/21/14 at 3:52 pm

He is, he's really good. I solved the easy one  :D

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/14 at 4:17 pm

I live for this stuff! 

#3 is from 1987.  It's called Rain by Michael Breen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buur6KcnO8E

I'm blanking on #2 however.  It may come to me ...

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/21/14 at 4:26 pm

HAHA!  I told you he'd know!  Great job!

Written By: Henk on 01/21/14 at 4:42 pm

I live for this stuff! 

Brilliant! Now maybe you can finally help this guy out as well.  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/14 at 4:45 pm

I like in that video, that guy posted the lyrics as he hears them, but there is one part where he should get a hearing aid.
As the lyric actually goes "Did you know, I've been watching you for weeks on end?  Probably not!".  I've known that since I was a kid.  A great song that takes me back!

HAHA!  I told you he'd know!  Great job!

I don't know yet.  If I can't get #2, then I have failed  lol
I know the song.  I can hear the person singing it, but I'm drawing blanks on who it is and what its called.  Argh lol

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/14 at 4:47 pm

Brilliant! Now maybe you can finally help this guy out as well.  ;)

Dang, you have to have a Yahoo! account to respond to that.  I see he asked that question 7 years ago though.  I bet he's found the answer by now lol.  Rain by Michael Breen is still sometimes heard on Canadian radio

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/21/14 at 4:54 pm

I have every faith in you!

Written By: warped on 01/21/14 at 5:45 pm

I live for this stuff! 

Oh yeah!  I've heard that before. Never would have guessed it.

Written By: crystalc1973 on 01/21/14 at 6:22 pm

Thanks Whistledog!  I'm glad I posted on here, sure couldn't find anything online anywhere else.  #2 I think was an African-American female or female group, very funk sounding almost disco. I first heard it in 1982 but it could have been older than that.

I live for this stuff! 

I'm blanking on #2 however.  It may come to me ...

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/14 at 2:03 am

Regarding #2.

From wiki:

""Pride and Joy" is a blues-rock song by Texas singer/guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan and his backup band Double Trouble. It is an original composition by Vaughan and appeared on his 1983 Epic Records debut album Texas Flood. "Pride and Joy" was also released as Vaughan's first single and has become one of his best-known songs."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vo23H9J8o8

Written By: crystalc1973 on 01/22/14 at 7:21 am

It's a different song than the one I am thinking of however. This one is similar in sound to Lipps Inc.'s song "Funkytown", and I'm guessing it isn't called "Pride and Joy", but maybe has another name and that's just part of the chorus. Very hard to track down one way or another.

Regarding #2.

From wiki:

""Pride and Joy" is a blues-rock song by Texas singer/guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan and his backup band Double Trouble. It is an original composition by Vaughan and appeared on his 1983 Epic Records debut album Texas Flood. "Pride and Joy" was also released as Vaughan's first single and has become one of his best-known songs."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vo23H9J8o8

Written By: warped on 01/22/14 at 7:27 am

It's a different song than the one I am thinking of however. This one is similar in sound to Lipps Inc.'s song "Funkytown", and I'm guessing it isn't called "Pride and Joy", but maybe has another name and that's just part of the chorus. Very hard to track down one way or another.

Another guess, even though this is from the 60s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arrV1kah3PY

The chorus goes "He's my honey boy, My ever-loving pride and joy"

Written By: crystalc1973 on 01/22/14 at 7:51 am

Haven't heard that one before, kind of before my time I guess. This one might be impossible to find it seems, unless someone is very familiar with early 80's funk music and that's sort of a less common genre in terms of popularity.

quote author=warped link=topic=49641.msg3121808#msg3121808 date=1390397277]
Another guess, even though this is from the 60s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arrV1kah3PY

The chorus goes "He's my honey boy, My ever-loving pride and joy"

Written By: warped on 01/22/14 at 7:56 am

Haven't heard that one before, kind of before my time I guess. This one might be impossible to find it seems, unless someone is very familiar with early 80's funk music and that's sort of a less common genre in terms of popularity.

So you are thinking this song might not be Canadian, but possibly American?
I'm not a fan of funk, but there are people here who are. Don't lose hope yet.

Written By: crystalc1973 on 01/22/14 at 8:15 am

Yes, I think that one is more likely American since Canada is not really known for its Funk scene ;)  I'm pretty sure the vocalists are African-American too by the sound it has.

So you are thinking this song might not be Canadian, but possibly American?
I'm not a fan of funk, but there are people here who are. Don't lose hope yet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/14 at 8:31 am

"Love & Pride" is the 1984 debut single by Coventry band King, produced by Richard James Burgess.

In May 1984, the single initially reached a chart ranking of #84 on the UK Singles Chart. When the group performed the song on Saturday morning television towards the end of the year, the single was re-released and became a hit in early 1985, reaching number two. It later climbed to a peak of number 55 in the US Billboard Hot 100 in August 1985. Burgess remixed the single several times for B-sides and 12 inch versions and these fueled the international club success of the single and subsequent album, Steps in Time. The dance mixes of "Love & Pride" pushed it to a peak position of seventeen on the American dance charts. British electronic band Cicada sampled portions of this song on their song "Woh" off their 2011 album Sunburst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlXtrnh-Ejo

Written By: WhoDat on 02/03/14 at 2:39 am

"Love & Pride" is the 1984 debut single by Coventry band King, produced by Richard James Burgess.

...so... was that the song??  You're just gonna leave us hanging?  We got's to KNOW!

Check for new replies or respond here...