inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Song FINALLY ID-ed from 1979...

Written By: WhoDat on 02/03/14 at 3:18 am

In 1979 I was on campus walking by a student lounge at the end of my last semester, and a tune being played on the jukebox was wafting out of the lounge as I passed by.  I only heard about 10-20 seconds of it, but it stuck in my mind.  I was pretty sure it was NRBQ--it had their definite sound and style, but I never could ID it later.  The only lyric fragment I recalled was "... gettin mighty mighty late" and I was fairly sure that was the actual phrase, so that's what I googled on recently, but came up with nothing.

But the more NRBQ I sampled the more I was convinced it was one of their songs. So tonight I just started methodically going back through their catalog starting with their 1979 album Kick Me Hard and sampling songs on Itunes.  Eventually, I clicked into the middle of one low-popularity song, which was a bridge that didn't sound right at all, so I was about to click onto another song, when the vocalist started singing again... in the exact melody I remembered: "I'm just a coal miner... from Memphis Tennessee..."  :)  That is such a cool feeling! 

My lyric fragment turned out to be inaccurate though:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/media/sample.m3u/ref=dm_ws_sp_tlw_trk1_smpl_nojs_B005X1KFH4?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B005X1KFH4&catalogItemType=track

Subject: Re: Song FINALLY ID-ed from 1979...

Written By: WhoDat on 02/05/14 at 12:26 am

... it's really "Muncie, Tennessee".

So I added the lyrics to MetroLyrics, and in a few hours, when they are approved, this noble song ("Call Him Off, Rogers") will at last be Googleable, for all of humanity.

Check for new replies or respond here...