inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Searching for this song title for 40 years!!

Written By: newyorker52 on 04/18/16 at 9:38 pm

Hello all:
I have come upon this site quite accidentally and I am hoping that it is fortuitous. In other words, CAN ANYONE HELP????
I "grew up" in New York City during the 70's (and the 60's which of course I can't remember because I was there!)
I am not sure if this was broadcast nationwide or whether it was simply a New York FM radio thing or if in fact it spanned beyond one station.
So Here it is, Someone has to know this I hope!!!!!
I put "song" in quotes isnce I am not even sure it qualifies as a song.
Okay:
""
It starts off with  "I I just  I just wanna I just wanna be " I just wanna be me I just wanna be me  (repeatedly) Followed by "But You gotta be left or Right, "But You gotta be left or Right" (repeatedly) and interspersed with " I just wanna be me" 
It's an oddball thing but that's what I like and I have been trying to locate this ditty since that time!
Is there anyone else that has heard (and knows) this tidbit????

Subject: Re: Searching for this song title for 40 years!!

Written By: snozberries on 04/19/16 at 9:21 am

We have a few members from NY so maybe one of them will know this

Henk and Dan(?) was that his name are the most musically savvy members so they may see this and know the answer.

Good luck to you

Subject: Re: Searching for this song title for 40 years!!

Written By: Henk on 04/20/16 at 2:31 pm

Hello all:
I have come upon this site quite accidentally and I am hoping that it is fortuitous. In other words, CAN ANYONE HELP????
I "grew up" in New York City during the 70's (and the 60's which of course I can't remember because I was there!)
I am not sure if this was broadcast nationwide or whether it was simply a New York FM radio thing or if in fact it spanned beyond one station.
So Here it is, Someone has to know this I hope!!!!!
I put "song" in quotes isnce I am not even sure it qualifies as a song.
Okay:
""
It starts off with  "I I just  I just wanna I just wanna be " I just wanna be me I just wanna be me  (repeatedly) Followed by "But You gotta be left or Right, "But You gotta be left or Right" (repeatedly) and interspersed with " I just wanna be me" 
It's an oddball thing but that's what I like and I have been trying to locate this ditty since that time!
Is there anyone else that has heard (and knows) this tidbit????

Henk and Dan(?) was that his name are the most musically savvy members so they may see this and know the answer.

OK, so I've seen it, but I'm afraid I can't be of much help here. :(
I don't remember ever hearing a song like the one you're describing. It could very well be a New York thing/song, and I'm not even remotely from that area.

Of course I've tried searching for the lyrics (as I'm sure you have tried as well many many times over the past years).
In the distant past (in terms of internet history) I was able to help others that way, using various search engines. Unfortunately, Google has killed just about every search engine on the market and claimed monopoly. As far as I'm concerned, this has not been an improvement. Nowadays, I find it impossible to find the hard-to-find.

Subject: Re: Searching for this song title for 40 years!! You Gotta Be Left or Right.

Written By: LFS on 01/10/17 at 12:14 pm

I came about this site while looking for the song with lyrics "You Gotta Be Left or Right".
I heard this song in Chicago in the late 1960's (1969)  on WLS-FM radio and WCFL - Ron Britian's Subterrean Circus (which was on only on Sunday nights). I too have been looking for info on this song for 40 plus years.  I thought it was a Zappa / or  Captain Beefheart song - since it is in a unique "experimental" style - but I have not found that to be the case.
If any one has info on this song, please let me and newyorker52 know.

Check for new replies or respond here...