inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HI.........and....HELP!!!

Written By: Aaliyah on 05/03/05 at 4:49 pm

hi yáll. I'm new here as you know and if it wasn't for google i would never have found this forum anyways guys
I NEED ALL OF YOUR HELP ON THIS....

I'm not big fun of music..or listen to any music for that matterbecause i'm Islam and all that ....yeah don't look at me like that i'm not a terrorist...anyways to make long story short My teacher gave me a project and he said to write two songs about the 1960's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's decades that fits or Dedicated  to the those five decades and our life style at that time SO IF ANY YÁLL KNOW A SONG, I WILL  Appreciated YOUR HELP THANKS.

Subject: Re: HI.........and....HELP!!!

Written By: Red Ant on 05/03/05 at 5:57 pm

Welcome. You are going to have a difficult time with this project because 2 songs cannot possible cover that amount of time. That and the fact you do not listen to music and I don't think you make parodies.

You cannot take an original work and turn it in as that is plagarism.

Perhaps some poetry instead?

Written By: Aaliyah on 05/04/05 at 9:14 am

I told my teacher the samething yesterday about me not listining to sny music but still he said i had to do and that i will get an F if i didn't which i seriously don't want since this is my senior year.....but thanks for you help anyways.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/04/05 at 9:18 am

hi yáll. I'm new here as you know and if it wasn't for google i would never have found this forum anyways guys
I NEED ALL OF YOUR HELP ON THIS....

I'm not big fun of music..or listen to any music for that matterbecause i'm Islam and all that ....yeah don't look at me like that i'm not a terrorist...anyways to make long story short My teacher gave me a project and he said to write two songs about the 1960's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's decades that fits or Dedicated  to the those five decades and our life style at that time SO IF ANY YÁLL KNOW A SONG, I WILL  Appreciated YOUR HELP THANKS.

Is this a 'wind up' Aaliyah??

It's interesting that your teacher isn't very supportive of you - did you listen to Islamic music as a youngster?

I suspect your looking for a reaction from the American people in here, and this isn't really to do with music at all..is it?  :(

Written By: robocop 100th on 05/04/05 at 4:45 pm

hello Aaliyah
welcome aboard, :)

Written By: Red Ant on 05/04/05 at 7:37 pm

I told my teacher the samething yesterday about me not listining to sny music but still he said i had to do and that i will get an F if i didn't which i seriously don't want since this is my senior year.....but thanks for you help anyways.

Feel free to print this whole thread out and show your teacher
Okay, assuming this is not a joke, your teacher is a freaking moron. Writing original music about ONE topic alone is difficult. Writing 2 songs covering the last 45 years of history is beyond assinine.

Since s/he is clearly giving you an impossible task ( believe me I know, I have over 150 original songs and parodies I have done. ) and that there are maybe 10 songs ever made that cover more than a decades worth of history, you have 3 choices:

1: Make up SOMETHING ( ANYTHING ) that mentions for song #1 ( 60s and 70s ) :The Kennedy Assassination, The Beatles,Civil Rights, The Vietnam War, Landing a Man on the Moon, Watergate, and Disco music. For #2 ( 80s up to today ) Mention President Reagan, Fall of the USSR/Iron Curtain/Berlin Wall/, something about economics, The Internet, the Space Shuttle accidents and September 11th. EVEN DOING ALL THAT WOULD BE SERIOUSLY INCOMPLETE AT BEST.

2: Go ahead and plagiarize ( at YOUR own risk ) another piece of music such as " American Pie " or " We Didn't Start The Fire " and change a few words in it. OR

3: Eat the F and take the class over in summer school with a less demanding teacher.

If MY teacher asked me to do this I would probably get sent to detention for all the expletives thrown his way.

There simply are no songs long enough to cover that much history in ANY detail whatsover and any song you make would BASICALLY BE POETRY anyway as he/she would have no idea as how it would be sung.

This is more like a 50 page term paper ( atleast- and that would be just for EACH DECADE ) than 2 songs worth of material.

If this is a joke then you are a moron. If this is not a joke then your teacher is a moron. If in fact this is real then print this whole thread out and tell him/her that the Red Ant says that they should try this themselves. I SERIOUSLY DOUBT ANY TEACHER OF ANY LEVEL OR MUSICAL ABILITY COULD DO THIS.

Written By: birdman on 05/05/05 at 11:30 am

OK Aaliyah, You need to help me, so I can help you.  I know that these projects are never easy.  My father was a Music Teacher for 31 years.  By the time I was 18, I was so burnt out on music I dropped out and have never attempted to enter the field again, not even as a hobby.  I love to listen to music of all styles and eras, but writing and performing can be a real challange.  Musicians are tempermental perfectionists who usually have over inflated egos.  Now on with your project.
How old are you?  What decades can you write about based on experience?  How deep and vivid is your imagination?  Do you like to read/study history?  Have you ever tried to write poetry?  Give me some honest answers and I'll try to help you out.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/05/05 at 2:30 pm

Feel free to print this whole thread out and show your teacher
Okay, assuming this is not a joke, your teacher is a freaking moron. Writing original music about ONE topic alone is difficult. Writing 2 songs covering the last 45 years of history is beyond assinine.

Since s/he is clearly giving you an impossible task ( believe me I know, I have over 150 original songs and parodies I have done. ) and that there are maybe 10 songs ever made that cover more than a decades worth of history, you have 3 choices:

1: Make up SOMETHING ( ANYTHING ) that mentions for song #1 ( 60s and 70s ) :The Kennedy Assassination, The Beatles,Civil Rights, The Vietnam War, Landing a Man on the Moon, Watergate, and Disco music. For #2 ( 80s up to today ) Mention President Reagan, Fall of the USSR/Iron Curtain/Berlin Wall/, something about economics, The Internet, the Space Shuttle accidents and September 11th. EVEN DOING ALL THAT WOULD BE SERIOUSLY INCOMPLETE AT BEST.

2: Go ahead and plagiarize ( at YOUR own risk ) another piece of music such as " American Pie " or " We Didn't Start The Fire " and change a few words in it. OR

3: Eat the F and take the class over in summer school with a less demanding teacher.

If MY teacher asked me to do this I would probably get sent to detention for all the expletives thrown his way.

There simply are no songs long enough to cover that much history in ANY detail whatsover and any song you make would BASICALLY BE POETRY anyway as he/she would have no idea as how it would be sung.

This is more like a 50 page term paper ( atleast- and that would be just for EACH DECADE ) than 2 songs worth of material.

If this is a joke then you are a moron. If this is not a joke then your teacher is a moron. If in fact this is real then print this whole thread out and tell him/her that the Red Ant says that they should try this themselves. I SERIOUSLY DOUBT ANY TEACHER OF ANY LEVEL OR MUSICAL ABILITY COULD DO THIS.

Well said RedAnt, I'm sure any teacher wouldn't be so demanding or unsympathetic to this cause, that's why I also thought it was a 'wind-up' post.

Written By: Aaliyah on 05/10/05 at 6:55 pm

seriously i never listen to music alll my life...that is why i came to the proz to help me with and i wasn't looking a reaction from anyone..why would i want that when i obviously need help....here is what he said we should do for our assignments

For this unit you will be looking and listening to some tunes, not for entertainment. but for cultural learning experience. You must look at each of the last four decades and the present deacde and select two songs from each of these periods. Then write one  or two pages of summary for each set of songs that shows how the songs culturally informed that period. The decades that you will be exploring are the 1960's, the 1970's, the 1980'd, the 1990's, and the 2000's.

in your summaries you should examine how the words of the songs helped us as a society to either better understand the representative group or appreciate their contributions to our way of life. If you are not familiar with some of the songs of the "days" then ask you parent or grandparent to help you select something that will be appropiate.

but none of my parent or any elders listen to music to..that why i was asking help from you guys.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/10/05 at 8:01 pm

Okay, I'm giving you one last shot. Now you are saying you need to pick 2 songs each from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000+ to reflect culture and write 1 to 2 pages on them. This means picking 10 songs and writing atleast 10 pages on them. This is still close to impossible ( for you ) but I will offer you some suggestions ( some are not great examples but I am not a history/culture buff ).

60s: The Beatles " Yesterday " and Simon & Garfunkel's " The Sound of Silence " ( only two that come to me at the moment - any Beatles tune would probably work as they definately changed culture in the 60s, around 1964 more specifially ).

70s: "American Pie" by Don McLean and " Imagine " by John Lennon. Something of the Disco Era would probably give you a cultural reference as well, but I hate disco so no help there.

80s: " We Are The World " ( cannot remember artists ) and " The Winds of Change " by The Scorpions

90s: " Smells Like Teen Spirit " by Nirvana ( caused a whole new culture of grunge music to be ushered in along with all of the fads ) and " Aenima " by Tool ( uses the "F" word alot but gives an decent representation of what was wrong with the 90s culture -wise as far as they were concerned ). Another alternative would be any popular " Gangster Rap " tune as that was big in the early to mid 90s ( and changed/represented a new culture style ).

2000+ I have no idea. There are many picks in here that talk of todays culture but I have no specific examples.

Use a search engine and type in something like this:" lyrics artist X song name " or just try something along the lines of " What music caused ( or noticed ) cultural changes ".

For ME, picking the songs is the hardest part ( many of these are political changes, not cultural ). Writing a 1 to 2 page essay is easy. Since you do not know much ( any ) music, you have some choices now.

Written By: Aaliyah on 05/11/05 at 7:05 pm

oh thank you so much for the help...i really needed it.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/11/05 at 10:17 pm

Forgot one 60s tune that is a very good one: " For What It's Worth " by Buffalo Springfield. Basically a Viet Nam protest song.

Also an 80s tune would be " Land of Confusion " by Phil Collins ( Genesis? )

Most of these are still political though but would probably work.

Written By: holicman on 05/25/05 at 6:35 am

Welcome aboard:)

Try these 2 songs :

Father and son -Cat Stevens
Bridge over troubled waters - Simon and Garfunkel

Written By: memory on 06/27/05 at 12:46 pm

welcome

Check for new replies or respond here...