inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Introduction

Written By: K.M. Richards on 10/04/07 at 6:30 pm

Greetings all,

My login refers to the on-air name I have been known by professionally in the radio business.

I have a passion for 80s New Wave and Modern Rock, and I played a lot of that on the air in the latter part of the decade.  Many of my friends consider me an expert on the subject, but I am hoping to find that many of you here are also expert and may know more than I do about some of the artists.

Right now, I am putting together a project that involves the music played on KROQ in the 80s, so I've signed up here to get my head in the right place for it.  It seems to me that a lot of you have extensive music libraries and still enjoy listening, so I think I'll feel right at home!

I've also left my e-mail unblocked here in case anyone wants to contact me "off the air", as it were.  :D

Hope to have a lot of good conversations with all of you!

K.M.

Subject: Re: Introduction

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/04/07 at 6:47 pm

Let me be the first to welcome you, K.M.  You will find this is a great place to be and people here are really passionate about their 80's music; I know I am.  Hope you enjoy yourself.

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/04/07 at 7:15 pm

Welcome, K.M.! This is a wonderful, fun place to talk about the 80's or any other decade! Hope you'll have fun here!  :) :D :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/04/07 at 10:56 pm

Right now, I am putting together a project that involves the music played on KROQ in the 80s,

First, *jawdrop* -- welcome!

Second, do any of the names here or here ring a bell with yourself or other KROQ folks?  Back in the day, I was 3500+ miles away from SoCal, but I could pull in CFNY, and they seemed to be doing what (with the benefit of hindsight) KROQ was doing.  Sometimes it was original (everything from Rush to Skinny Puppy).  Other times it wasn't (one of their DJs spun DMC Remix Service mixes as his own, and broadcast it to air, live from his club, but since none of us knew what remix services were, we thought it was original work! :)

I guess my real question is "to what extent was there cross-fertilization among radio stations that did new wave / punk / alternative-before-it-became-mainstream" during the late 70s and early 80s.  Probably "a lot", but documenting those links about who-went-where and who-influenced-what and how music spread from one geographical area to another (in a pre-Internet era when one was limited to the 100-odd miles around one's biggest transmitter) has always been something of a curiosity of mine.  How did a mix (or song, or even an entire genre) get introduced, and how long did it take to make it across a country or an ocean?

(I just discovered that the un-named punk band that did a Cold War parody of "Ballroom Blitz", that I also first heard from a Canadian radio station... was actually D.I., who were also SoCal in origin.  That solved a 20-year-old taped-from-air mystery.)

Written By: Tia on 10/04/07 at 10:59 pm

omg.

k.m richards.

omg. omg. omg. omg.

welcome.

omg.

Written By: Tia on 10/04/07 at 11:01 pm

you may find a kindred spirit in DJ midas. he's kinda into metal but other than that seems to be similar in temperament.

i apologize, i'm still a little taken aback. when i first saw this thread in the "introductions" board i thought... well, at first blush... it just reminded me of another name, is all.

it's becks!

Written By: statsqueen on 10/06/07 at 3:04 pm

omg.

k.m richards.

omg. omg. omg. omg.

welcome.

omg.

Breathe, Tia, there's a good lad....

It's K. M. not Kim..... ;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/06/07 at 5:12 pm

I kinda thought the same thing too.  Anyway, welcome fellow DJ. :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/10/07 at 12:38 am

greetings to you K.M Richards. you should feel riight at home because you are home. welcome  8)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/10/07 at 12:42 am

Welcome

I love my 80s music with all my heart.  I don't know how much help I can be other the waxing nostalgic of my younger days...but I wanted to say hello anyways.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/10/07 at 7:18 am

Welcome K.M. :) It's great to have you here! :)

Written By: whistledog on 10/14/07 at 12:07 pm

Welcome to the boards K.M. Richards :)

As you may have already guessed, Tia is a BIG fan of the actress Kim Richards, to which your user name is similar ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/07 at 5:17 am

Welcome to the boards, I hope your stay here will be a happy one.

Written By: ninny on 10/22/07 at 6:26 am

Hell o K M my name is Ninny Iam new so just saying hi.

Written By: snozberries on 12/07/07 at 11:48 pm

Welcome to the boards! 

omg.

k.m richards.

omg. omg. omg. omg.

welcome.

omg.

;D  I thought about you Tia as soon as I saw a post by K. M. on some other thread

Breathe, Tia, there's a good lad....

It's K. M. not Kim..... ;)

;D  I'd karma you for that but.....

Check for new replies or respond here...