inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: hi everyone

Written By: chatterbox on 12/01/07 at 11:31 am

My name is Darija, friends call me Dasha. I am 13 years old. I am from Latvia, smalll country near Russia, but I'm not Latvian. I'm belorussian, who speaks russian. If you want, you can tell me something about you and ask questions about me ;)

Subject: Re: hi everyone

Written By: Tia on 12/01/07 at 12:02 pm

welcome dasha! enjoy your stay here. :)

Written By: ninny on 12/01/07 at 2:04 pm

Hello, How are things?

Written By: Henk on 12/01/07 at 2:09 pm

Welcome to the boards Darija!

Nice to see a fellow European joining this wonderful site. :)

Enjoy your stay and see you around.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/01/07 at 6:34 pm

Welcome to inthe00s.com, Dasha. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Can you type something for us in Russian?

And wow, 13 is really young to be pregnant. If you bottom sig isn't just playing around on your part, I wish you the best for what would be a very difficult and possibly legal situation here in the US.

Ant

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/01/07 at 7:27 pm

Hi

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/01/07 at 9:29 pm

Hello there. Where around Russia is it? I am afraid Geography is not my strong point. I had a best friend for 18 years who was from Romania. When my youngest sister out of 5 girls married my best friends younger brother, she did not want to be my friend anymore. She was from a small area just out side of Transylvania. Her name is Elisabeta. I was consided for the entire time we were friends to be an adopted Romanian.

Written By: chatterbox on 12/02/07 at 12:58 am

Welcome to inthe00s.com, Dasha. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Can you type something for us in Russian?

And wow, 13 is really young to be pregnant. If you bottom sig isn't just playing around on your part, I wish you the best for what would be a very difficult and possibly legal situation here in the US.

Ant

I'm not pregnant)))) My mom is))) She is going to have a baby in May, and I hope it will be a boy.

Of course I can type something. What do you want me to type?)

Written By: chatterbox on 12/02/07 at 1:00 am

Hello there. Where around Russia is it? I am afraid Geography is not my strong point. I had a best friend for 18 years who was from Romania. When my youngest sister out of 5 girls married my best friends younger brother, she did not want to be my friend anymore. She was from a small area just out side of Transylvania. Her name is Elisabeta. I was consided for the entire time we were friends to be an adopted Romanian.

Latvia is on the Baltic sea.

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/02/07 at 1:55 am

I will have to take a look at my Globe.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/02/07 at 5:32 am

Greetings, young tovarisch! (I believe that's the correct word, isn't it?)

Being BeloRussian- that would make you part Russian, part Belarusian, correct?

I hope you enjoy this wonderful forum of ours.
May your time here be well spent making new friends from around the globe!

Hope to see you around!
-Das Vidanya!

Written By: Red Ant on 12/02/07 at 9:14 am

I'm not pregnant)))) My mom is))) She is going to have a baby in May, and I hope it will be a boy.

Of course I can type something. What do you want me to type?)

Oh, I see.  :-Ant

Written By: chatterbox on 12/02/07 at 9:36 am

Oh, I see.  :-Ant

Red Ant can't read Russian- Красный муравей не умеет читать по-русски (Krasniy muravey ne umeet chitaty po-russki))))

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/07 at 10:38 am

Welcome to the boards Darija, I hope your stay here will be a happy one.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/03/07 at 7:58 pm

Welcome! Have fun!  :)

Written By: Henk on 12/04/07 at 12:15 am

My name is Darija, friends call me Dasha. I am 13 years old. I am from Latvia, smalll country near Russia, but I'm not Latvian. I'm belorussian, who speaks russian. If you want, you can tell me something about you and ask questions about me ;)

As a matter of fact, I do have some questions for you...

How did you find this site? And what are/were you hoping to find here?

Do you have any siblings? Do your parents know you hang out with older people (Most of us here are twice your age, or over)?
Speaking of your parents...We've seen photos of your mother...Where's your father?

What's it like being part of a minority? Are you being discriminated/Do you feel like you're being discriminated?
I suppose you speak Russian at home, but you'll have to speak Latvian in other places, right? Or do you and your fellow Belorussians have separate schools? (You still go to school, don't you?)

Your mother must've been a student when the USSR broke up...What was it like for her? I mean, one day you're living in the USSR, the next you're living in Latvia....Must be confusing. And with her being Belorussian (I assume your mother is, too)...was she supportive of this revolution at all?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/04/07 at 12:33 am

At least I know what to buy Henk this Christmas.

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/72/28/23382872.jpg

Shouldn't set me too far back.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/04/07 at 2:53 am

Welcome chatterbox, we're happy to have you here.  My husband's grandmother was also Belorussian (although I'd never met her.) 
I hope you have a fun time here. 

Maybe you can tell us a little about what everyday life is like in your country for a girl your age?  I don't think most of us have much experience talking with someone from your part of the world, but we're all friendly and pretty curious and like to discuss pretty much anything.

Do you have any questions for us?  :)

Written By: chatterbox on 12/04/07 at 7:56 am

As a matter of fact, I do have some questions for you...

How did you find this site? And what are/were you hoping to find here?

Do you have any siblings? Do your parents know you hang out with older people (Most of us here are twice your age, or over)?
Speaking of your parents...We've seen photos of your mother...Where's your father?

What's it like being part of a minority? Are you being discriminated/Do you feel like you're being discriminated?
I suppose you speak Russian at home, but you'll have to speak Latvian in other places, right? Or do you and your fellow Belorussians have separate schools? (You still go to school, don't you?)

Your mother must've been a student when the USSR broke up...What was it like for her? I mean, one day you're living in the USSR, the next you're living in Latvia....Must be confusing. And with her being Belorussian (I assume your mother is, too)...was she supportive of this revolution at all?

Oh... I'll try to answer all questions :D
1. I really like 80's music and everything about 80's. I found site www.inthe80s.com and then i found this site.
2. I don't know
3. Yes, I have an older half-brother (we have different mothers) aged 23 and I am going to have a  sister/brother in May. My mom's boyfriend's has a daughter Brook aged 16 and she is also like my sister.
4. Yes, my mom knows. Maybe she will register here too.
5. My father and mother are divorced, my father lives in Moscow. My mom has a boyfriend Rangi, he lives in Philippines.
6. Well, yes. There are about 40% Russians in Latvia. And I feel like russian. I speak russian with friends and in my family. I know 7 languages. But Latvian children hate us, and we hate them.
7. No, I don't have to speak Latvian in other places. I know Latvian as well as Russian but quite everybody in Latvia understand Russian.
8. I am in Russian school.
9. My mom was 20 years old when USSR broke up (1993). These days she was staying with her mother in small Belorusian village Azyori for her holiday. One day when she was feeding cow her mom called her and  told that she heard on the radio that USSR broke up. Mom was really confused. Grandma asked her, what is she going to do when her holiday is finished and mom said: "Just return in Latvia to study"
10. No, she wasn't

Written By: Henk on 12/04/07 at 1:40 pm

Oh... I'll try to answer all questions :D

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. :) Your answers triggered even more questions, I'm afraid... Sorry for being curious. :-
1. I really like 80's music and everything about 80's. I found site www.inthe80s.com and then i found this site.
2. I don't know

80's music is good. There are plenty of people around here that like 80's music too. You'll fit in just perfectly.

3. Yes, I have an older half-brother (we have different mothers) aged 23 and I am going to have a  sister/brother in May. My mom's boyfriend's has a daughter Brook aged 16 and she is also like my sister.

Wow! There's a big age difference there... I suppose your half brother doesn't live with you and your mother? ??? Well, even if he does... you're worlds apart. It's only natural you and your (half) sister are much closer.

4. Yes, my mom knows. Maybe she will register here too.

Good. I was a little worried about this. No offense, but you are only 13...It's a big world, and not everybody can be trusted. Well, I'm sure you know.

5. My father and mother are divorced, my father lives in Moscow. My mom has a boyfriend Rangi, he lives in Philippines.

Do you keep in touch with your father?

6. Well, yes. There are about 40% Russians in Latvia. And I feel like russian. I speak russian with friends and in my family. I know 7 languages. But Latvian children hate us, and we hate them.

Seven languages..? :o I know this includes Russian, Latvian and English (obviously!)...what are the other four?

I think I can somewhat understand where the hostility between Latvians and (Belo)Russians comes from., but still it's sad. I mean...your country (in its present form) is still very young. You have the chance to make it the best you can, and forget the past.
Do you (or your mother) ever consider moving (to Belarus)? I know, I know...Belarus isn't really a democracy, so maybe that's not an option.
On another note: do you feel Latvian, or do you feel Belorussian? I don't know if you like sports, but if you do: are you supporting Latvia or Belarus?

7. No, I don't have to speak Latvian in other places. I know Latvian as well as Russian but quite everybody in Latvia understand Russian.

This surprises me somewhat. Of course most people in Latvia (still) understand Russian, for obvious reasons. But if I understand you correctly, people still want to speak Russian? ??? I would've thought your government would encourage the use of Latvian instead. After all, you're not in Russia (anymore).

8. I am in Russian school.
9. My mom was 20 years old when USSR broke up (1993). These days she was staying with her mother in small Belorusian village Azyori for her holiday. One day when she was feeding cow her mom called her and  told that she heard on the radio that USSR broke up. Mom was really confused. Grandma asked her, what is she going to do when her holiday is finished and mom said: "Just return in Latvia to study"

Confused...I guess that's what I would be too. Nobody knew if things were gonna get better or worse at that time. And I'm not sure if things have gotten better for your mother since 1993.

10. No, she wasn't

And probably with good reason.

Written By: chatterbox on 12/04/07 at 1:53 pm

Do you keep in touch with your father?
Yes, we like going on holidays together. I'd like to live with my dad.

Seven languages..? I can speak Latvian, Russian, Belorussian, English, German, French and Spanish (but I have just started to learn Spanish)

Do you (or your mother) ever consider moving (to Belarus)?
No, we don't. Mom has a good job here, I am studying at good school, we have a big flat. We will lose it all if we move to Belarussia. It's very poor country.

are you supporting Latvia or Belarus?
I support Latvian football team (it plays very well) and Latvian hockey team.
In Eurovision I support all three countries- Latvia, Belarussia and Russia

But if I understand you correctly, people still want to speak Russian?
Hmmm... no. They can learn and speak it only if they WANT but russians HAVE TO speak latvian. But quite everybodt still knows russian. Sometimes we speak mixed languages. For example, in the shops they say me "Ludzu" (latvian- here you are") and I say them "Spasibo" (russian- thank you)

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/05/07 at 6:51 pm

Hi Dasha :) I'm happy you changed your avatar,i'm not the "age police" i swear lol,it just seemed a little too racy for someone so young,you know?
It's always good to have someone from a non-english speaking country around!

That's kind of sad,why does that happen? do you think your generation could change that?in the future do you think you could have latvian friends?

Written By: Henk on 10/19/11 at 5:40 am

At least I know what to buy Henk this Christmas.

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/72/28/23382872.jpg

Shouldn't set me too far back.

I'm still waiting... :P

Check for new replies or respond here...