inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hi There! Betcha' never heard that line before......wait........oh

Written By: csaffle1 on 11/15/11 at 12:08 pm

Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. My name is Chris Saffle. From Lewisville, Tx. For me, song parodying is a curse, not a gift. I can not listen to a song without coming up with my own twisted, and normally profane version of whatever is on. I take great pleasure in ruining songs for people that they love my mis-singing a lyric that sticks in their head. From that point on, it is all they hear when they listen to their favorite tune. Small victory, but I win!

I write original songs mostly, ranging from serious to outright moronic. I will never claim to be the most talented guy out there, but writing lyrics comes very naturally to me. Whether they are good or bad, at least they come quickly! I just started writing again after about a 15 year hiatus. I just got into the digital age of recording. Before, it was just a Tascam 4 track and a lot of chewed up cassettes. I have moved up to Reason/Record 1.5 recently and working out the bugs. Most of the things I will submit will be in lyric form, but ever so often, I will embarrass myself enough and submit a poorly executed recording (see my first entry Gone Away, a parody of Yesterday by the Beatles).

Take it easy on me. Happy to be surrounded by like minded people.

Subject: Re: Hi There! Betcha' never heard that line before......wait........oh

Written By: wildcard on 11/15/11 at 12:45 pm

I gave you the parody curse http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc153/rocksannwastaken/evil%20smilies/evil.gif

it's just my time to be evil around here      enjoy

Written By: Howard on 11/15/11 at 7:18 pm

Welcome Chris.  :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/15/11 at 10:36 pm

Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. My name is Chris Saffle. From Lewisville, Tx. For me, song parodying is a curse, not a gift. I can not listen to a song without coming up with my own twisted, and normally profane version of whatever is on.

You'll fit right in here!

I'm looking for an excuse to not pick up video editing as a hobby, and futzing around with musical stuff might be a good way to avoid it.  I never learned to read music in a formal setting, but I'm beginning to think the software might be at a point where I don't have to.  Are we there yet?

Written By: csaffle1 on 11/16/11 at 11:13 am

I'm looking for an excuse to not pick up video editing as a hobby, and futzing around with musical stuff might be a good way to avoid it.  I never learned to read music in a formal setting, but I'm beginning to think the software might be at a point where I don't have to.  Are we there yet?

It is all about your ear, I suppose. I can not read a lick of music. I have never taken any type of lessons. While not being a very good "live" performer (you do not want me playing a recital any time soon), I have a pretty good instinct for composing music. I have toyed with Pro Tools (easiest of all to use, but hard to really get what I want out of it), Cubase is pretty cool, but I have an old and stripped down version of it. I absolutely love Reason to compose music. It is set up to let you compose on the fly. Editing is a lot more user friendly than most other programs. I knew nothing about home recording, and am teaching myself how to acheive what I want. Still trying to nail down recording solid vocal tracks. More complicated than you may think. Reason Record 1.5 is needed as an add on if you want to record vocals. Record itself will not do it. Record has an auto tuner, and you can assign your vocal tracks to an instrument track. I can set my vocals to record in the not of "C". No matter what I say, it will record it in this key. Once recorded, I can use a keyboard to "play" my vocals and shift pitches, add harmonies by playing chords, etc;. In other words, you can make yourself sound pretty talented pretty easily. God love technology! Sorry for rambling on, but yes, if you are musically inclined in any way, look into it.

Written By: nally on 11/16/11 at 12:52 pm

Welcome aboard, Chris. Seems like you have a great musical gift.

Written By: csaffle1 on 11/16/11 at 1:01 pm

Welcome aboard, Chris. Seems like you have a great musical gift.

Thanks. I really don't. I just play a musically gifted guy on t.v.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/16/11 at 2:14 pm

Welcome to the boards Chris, I hope your stay will be a happy one.

Written By: Howard on 11/16/11 at 7:30 pm

Thanks. I really don't. I just play a musically gifted guy on t.v.

that's wonderful.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/17/11 at 11:29 pm

In other words, you can make yourself sound pretty talented pretty easily. God love technology! Sorry for rambling on, but yes, if you are musically inclined in any way, look into it.

That's what I'm looking for.  I've got no innate musical talent, but the my preferred genres are forgiving :)  Thanks for the excuse to not go down the rabbit hole of 20-30 hour video editing projects!

Written By: csaffle1 on 11/18/11 at 8:47 am

That's what I'm looking for.  I've got no innate musical talent, but the my preferred genres are forgiving :)  Thanks for the excuse to not go down the rabbit hole of 20-30 hour video editing projects!

Let me know when you start to get serious about looking into it. I had to do a lot of research to figure out which programs did what I was looking for and what type of system and specs you would need to make it run efficiently. I started out on a laptop that was just a standard issue dual core 1.6 processor, 2gb ram, with 5400 rpm speed. If these specs look eerily familiar, beware. You are headed to crash city everytime you record more than two tracks (if it will even run it at all). I decided to get an HP Omni All In One i5 Desktop with 6GB ram, 1TB HD, 3.2 processor, and a quad core with 7200 rpm processing speed (very important because of the multi-tasking asked of the program, multi core, processor above 1.8, minimum of 2gb ram, and 7200 rpm are a must to handle the workload).

Fun stuff. I will be looking forward to hearing a creation in the future!

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/20/11 at 7:39 pm

Fun stuff. I will be looking forward to hearing a creation in the future!

Hardware's easy.  Quad-core i7, 12GB RAM, 120GB SSD for reads, couple of terabytes of HDD for bulk.  Just need the time.  And the talent.  Second part's hard to find.  Third part's the one that really worries me :)

Check for new replies or respond here...