inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hello All!

Written By: basscatfrank on 03/12/12 at 12:25 pm

Hello all, I happened upon this site while trying to settle an argument about who made the boil in bag dinners I grew up on in the 70's. (It was Banquet and I was right.) I don't know how I ended up here but I'm glad I did. I love all things 70's, movies, music, tv, you name it. It was my coming of age decade, the span of time where all my significant first occured. First kiss, first date, first car, first job. Hope to spend time here reminiscing (just like The Little River Band).

Subject: Re: Hello All!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/12/12 at 1:21 pm

Welcome to the site!  :)

Written By: amjikloviet on 03/12/12 at 1:50 pm

Hello basscatfrank! Hope you enjoy your time here =)

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/12/12 at 3:31 pm

Welcome  :)

Written By: wildcard on 03/12/12 at 4:13 pm

so finding this place was a roundabout? yes?  hi

Written By: basscatfrank on 03/12/12 at 5:01 pm

so finding this place was a roundabout? yes?  hi

Yes, and it's a good place to discuss reflections of my life.

Written By: wildcard on 03/12/12 at 6:39 pm

Yes, and it's a good place to discuss reflections of my life.

enjoy it here, I'm a little younger then most around here,but seem to like 70's music as well as other stuff before the 90's

Written By: basscatfrank on 03/12/12 at 6:47 pm

enjoy it here, I'm a little younger then most around here,but seem to like 70's music as well as other stuff before the 90's

In that case I'm afraid you might have missed the "Reflections of My Life" bit.

Written By: nally on 03/12/12 at 7:31 pm

Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy it here. :)

Written By: Howard on 03/13/12 at 6:42 am

Welcome Frank.  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/13/12 at 7:13 am

Hello Frank.  I remember those Banquet Boil-in-Bags.... 8-P

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/16/12 at 10:32 pm

Hello all, I happened upon this site while trying to settle an argument about who made the boil in bag dinners I grew up on in the 70's. (It was Banquet and I was right.)

This isn't one of their boil-in-bag commercials, but it's so far out there it's awesome.  Probably the first 60s/70s commercials I've ever seen that's deliberately tongue-in-cheek. 

sqx9zbdfK9k

- Banquet dinners, "Giblet Gravy and Sliced Turkey", together in the most significant dish of our time, "Buffet Supper".  Color by paprika.  (50 years ago, appearing citywide in a frozen food section near you.)

Funny thing is, back in the 70s they called it boil-in-bag, and it was about convenience, not gourmet cooking.

Today, you spend a few bucks on spare parts, you do it lower-and-slower, say, overnight, and (like everything that comes with haute cuisine), it sounds better en Francais, and all of a sudden, sous vide is en vogue.

The fun you can have with a vacuum sealer, a PID controller, and a crock pot.  Way cheaper than the $500+ the gourmet places want to charge for DIY not-quite-boil-just-cook-slowly-and-gently-in-bag awesomeness.

Check for new replies or respond here...