inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: stores that have went out because of Wal Mart/Home Depot

Written By: 90s boy on 03/28/05 at 4:22 am

Ames Bradlees Caldor Hills Jamesway HQ Venture Pergament Montgomery Ward Best Service Merchandise Grand Union Woolworth Woolco Jefferson Ward Zayre Franks Nursery Huffman Koos and stores that are trying to stay in bizz Sears Kmart JC PenneyToys R Us Win Dixey KB Toys Macys Bloomingdails Lord & Taylor Filene's ect and stores that are doing well and can compeat with walmart and hopefuly put them out Target TJ Max Home Goods Kohls Best Buy

Subject: Re: stores that have went out because of Wal Mart/Home Depot

Written By: Xer on 03/31/05 at 11:43 am

I remember Hartz went out of buniness in the early 90's.  Does anyone else remember that store?

Written By: Xer on 03/31/05 at 11:59 am

I forgot about Amies. :D

Written By: 90s boy on 04/01/05 at 6:41 am

I remember Hartz went out of buniness in the early 90's.  Does anyone else remember that store?

i dont think we had any hear it was probley just a small chain that dident have stores all over

Written By: SpaceHog on 04/02/05 at 2:39 am

I remember Bradlees. what about grandpas?

Written By: 90s boy on 04/21/05 at 5:46 am

I remember Bradlees. what about grandpas?

Bradlees sucked there store were unkeped and not clean and i can see why then went out

Written By: Gaylon on 04/24/05 at 12:22 pm

Hearne, Texas, the town I live in (Or just outside) was a thriving community in the late 70's before Wal-Mart.
Two years later, only Western Auto was left, gone was K Wolens, JB Whites, Vince's Menswear, Ben Franklin 5 & 10, White's Auto, Gable's Sporting Goods, Wilson Bros, Fair Dry Goods, two jewelry stores, a furniture store and probably several others.  On top of that, Wal-mart closed the store in the late 80's.

Written By: KP Nut on 05/15/05 at 5:08 pm

Hills went out of business.I was only there once. :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/15/05 at 5:12 pm

I'm noticing alot of "mom and pop" stores going under, in the last 10 years or so - kind of sad in a sense -- plus there technically less places to shop now -- including video stores. I work at Blockbuster, have since '99, and there basically are no neighborhood stores now.

There was a Montgomery Ward here as late as 1998 or so, but there's a Target in its place now (it's in a mall parking lot).

Written By: 90s boy on 05/30/05 at 6:09 am

I'm noticing alot of "mom and pop" stores going under, in the last 10 years or so - kind of sad in a sense -- plus there technically less places to shop now -- including video stores. I work at Blockbuster, have since '99, and there basically are no neighborhood stores now.

There was a Montgomery Ward here as late as 1998 or so, but there's a Target in its place now (it's in a mall parking lot).

Montgomery Ward closed in 2001

Written By: KP Nut on 05/31/05 at 9:11 am

I remember Children's Palace and Circus World went out of business]

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 05/31/05 at 5:24 pm

Remember Thrifty's, Payless, T G & Y,  and Sprouse Ritz?

Written By: Webstor on 06/01/05 at 6:02 pm

Because of Home Depot, we lost our Busy Beaver "Do it Yourself" Warehouse, and Stambaugh hardware.

We had a Children's Palace long ago, but it went under a few yrs after our Toys R Us opened.

Another one is that Barnes & Nobles Bookstore........because of them our Waldens, and Little Professore Book store went under.

Written By: KP Nut on 06/04/05 at 6:04 pm

Oh Yeah,Waldenbooks and Little Professor is no longer in the mall because of Barnss and Noble.In Courtland we have B.Dalton.We might have Little Professor on Silver Lake Road,but that's too far. ::)iGenessee Valley is getting a Barns and Noble to where Montgomery Ward was. Blockbuster Music is out of business,you used to get Sweet Valley High soundtrack there,I got mine at Big Lots. :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/05 at 11:41 pm

Hills went out of business.I was only there once. :-\\

I used to LOVE Hills Dept. Store.  We would go there every 4th of July and they would set off fireworks..and you could buy a hotdog and a slurpie for like a buck!

Erin :)

Written By: 90s boy on 06/11/05 at 12:34 pm

I used to LOVE Hills Dept. Store.  We would go there every 4th of July and they would set off fireworks..and you could buy a hotdog and a slurpie for like a buck!

yea Ames bought them out in 1998 and they too would go out I use to go to Caldor alot till WAL MART opened up right next to the one i would go to >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/11/05 at 11:46 pm

Home Depot has helped put Handy Andy and Builder's Square out of business
Borders/Barnes & Noble put Super Crown Books out of business
Michaels and Home Depot helped put Frank's Nursery out of business
Hardee's is gone from Chicagoland thanks to a strong presence of McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's
Walgreen's put Eckerd/Rite Aid out of business
Mapquest put Rand McNally Travel Store out of business

That's all I can think of right now

Written By: 90s boy on 06/12/05 at 9:46 pm

wal mart put CALDOR AMES BRADLEES JAMESWAY MONTGOMERY WARD and SERVICE MERCHANDISE out of bizz and a super market call GRAND UNION

Written By: KP Nut on 06/13/05 at 9:08 am

I forgot Service Merchandise,Builder's Square,Handy Andy,and Best. July 6th our Farmer Jack is Closing. I don't know if most Farmer Jack's are going out of business. Saunders,I think went out of business,I can't think of the name of the bread store I used to go to as a child. :P We still Have Kroger,Meijer,I'm not sure if Save-A-Lot has Out of date or spoiled food. Aldi,I don't dare go there,because one of the clients at my mother's work got sick as a dog from eating cold cuts.  :o We are getting a Super Wal-Mart with Sam's Club. and a Kohls. ;)

Written By: SpaceHog on 06/17/05 at 2:18 pm

A&P is gone :( and so is Finast! Stop n' Shop put them out. Getty Gas has been going away too.

Written By: 90s boy on 06/18/05 at 12:27 am

A&P is gone :( and so is Finast! Stop n' Shop put them out. Getty Gas has been going away too.

a&p is still around they might have just closed some stores were u love

Written By: SpaceHog on 06/19/05 at 8:33 pm

The Nantucket location is caput, replaced by Grand Union.

Written By: tv on 06/25/05 at 10:49 pm

Remember Thrifty's, Payless, T G & Y,  and Sprouse Ritz?
If you are talking about Payless Shoe they are still around.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/25/05 at 10:53 pm

Remember that store that was almost exactly like Payless...but it was called "Pickway"....I haven't seen those around at all!

Written By: tv on 06/25/05 at 10:55 pm

Other franchises then went out because of Home Depot: "Rickels" and "Channel".

I don't like K'mart anymore. I liked K-mart when I was a little kid in the 80's. Their stores are too cluttered for me now. Their current partenership with "Sears" should only help them. I prefer "Target" over any department store right now.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/27/05 at 5:06 pm

I was talking about Payless Drug Store, not the shoe store.

Written By: KP Nut on 07/03/05 at 4:59 pm

I remember Great Scott! Supermarket,Probably developed in time for the 1950s Superman show,and when I think of Superman,I think of Jerry Seinfeld. I also remember Chatham Supermarket. Those 2 went out of business I hear Winn Dixie is closing some stores,but we have none where I live. ;D

Written By: STAR70 on 07/03/05 at 5:12 pm

wal mart put CALDOR AMES BRADLEES JAMESWAY MONTGOMERY WARD and SERVICE MERCHANDISE out of bizz and a super market call GRAND UNION

i was buying a Casio digital watch at the Service Merchandise in Montebello, Ca, when i passed by the TV section and saw the infamous O.J. Simpson white Ford Bronco police chase in progress.

I visited a buddy's house later that same night. The LAPD had checked O.J. into L.A.'s General Hospital for a routine check-up after the chase, which was right across the street!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/03/05 at 11:01 pm

I remember Phar-Mor...which was a pretty good store, until they became a "super" store...they got rid of their video rental dept..and didn't have much of anything...and then they went out of business.

Written By: Butterball on 07/07/05 at 9:30 pm

We had "Yellow Front", "TG&Y", "Globe", "Western Auto", "Milt's", "Big Bear", among others that I can't think of right now.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/01/05 at 11:55 pm

We had a Service Merchandise which closed about 7 years ago. It was a lot like Best which we had in Concord (CA), but that closed ages ago (probably 1990 or earlier.) We use to go there to buy lots of Christmas gifts. Does anyone from the West coast (and possibly East Coast) remember Pace? It was like Costco, but I thought it was better - ours closed in 1993, I believe.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/08/05 at 5:44 pm

We had a Service Merchandise which closed about 7 years ago. It was a lot like Best which we had in Concord (CA), but that closed ages ago (probably 1990 or earlier.) We use to go there to buy lots of Christmas gifts. Does anyone from the West coast (and possibly East Coast) remember Pace? It was like Costco, but I thought it was better - ours closed in 1993, I believe.

I think there MIGHT be a Service Merchandise or two here, but it's been awhile since I've been by - they could be closed down now.

There's alot of Costco's here, but I was never sure if they were the same store as Pace or not.

I know there was one in Sacramento (I lived there from 90-96) we went to alot, but that's the last I've ever seen one. From what I recall it was VERY Costo-ish, but now that I think about it, you're right, it did seem slightly bigger and better overall.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/08/05 at 7:42 pm

I think there MIGHT be a Service Merchandise or two here, but it's been awhile since I've been by - they could be closed down now.

There's alot of Costco's here, but I was never sure if they were the same store as Pace or not.

I know there was one in Sacramento (I lived there from 90-96) we went to alot, but that's the last I've ever seen one. From what I recall it was VERY Costo-ish, but now that I think about it, you're right, it did seem slightly bigger and better overall.

Yeah, our Service Merchandise closed approx. 1996 (I think I said that in an earlier post,  :-\\ ). And probably most of the other branches closed around the same time. We went there very few times, but I remember it's where we'd go to make big Christmas/birthday purchases. We bought a treadmill there for my mom's 41st birthday (1993). I would have to say Service Merchandise, as a chain, has gone kaput! Before that store, there was Best which was very, very similar.

Wow, yeah, I don't know whatever happened to Pace or why it went out of business so quickly. It seemed like it was there and then it was gone... only within a 2 year period. Pace was a direct competiter to Costco - being that they were large, wholesale warehouses. Each had to have a membership, as well. I think Costco just was too big of a corporation to go up against a lesser known corp. as Pace. Sam's Club (another wholesale place), seems to have done well - probably for one sole reason - it's owned by Wal-Mart  ::)

Written By: Magnum,PI {2} on 08/21/05 at 3:33 pm

i remember caldoor and bradlees. also Rickle and Pergement went in the mid 90s

(walmart is brain washing us to buy their S            H              I            T

Written By: 90s boy on 08/21/05 at 6:54 pm

i remember caldoor and bradlees. also Rickle and Pergement went in the mid 90s

(walmart is brain washing us to buy their S             H              I             T

lol good way to a bad word but yea wal mart is  a S  H  I  T  T  Y  STORE

Written By: gromit on 09/14/05 at 4:34 pm

Kmart that owned Pace sold most of thier stores to walmart in 1993. Pace (kmart) purchased Price savers, a colorado company in 1991. I  don't know what kmart did with the remaining 20+ stores.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/14/05 at 7:44 pm

remember how at Service Merchandise, you had to fill out that little paper...and then wait for your item to come off of a conveyor belt? I always thought that was interesting!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/15/05 at 1:34 am

remember how at Service Merchandise, you had to fill out that little paper...and then wait for your item to come off of a convey belt? I always thought that was interesting!

Ughh, I do remember that!! I remember we had to wait to get a treadmill for my mom's birthday in 1993 and I just remember that big a$$ box coming off that conveyer belt and it was just slithering on down...
I don't know if you remember this minor detail either, but I guess Bill Cosby was their spokesperson and so they had this HUGE life size cardboard picture of him towards the entrance, so as you were walking in you would see his sillhouette - it always scared the heck out of me! I thought it was some kind of creepy stranger lurking and wanting to snatch us as we walked in.

One of my last memories of going there was visiting the jewelry department. I remember going inside and thinking it was set up in a very outdated way. I could also tell the store just wasn't going to make it any longer. They kept late hours and they had hardly anyone in there half the time. That was around 1996 or so.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/15/05 at 7:04 am

Ughh, I do remember that!! I remember we had to wait to get a treadmill for my mom's birthday in 1993 and I just remember that big a$$ box coming off that conveyer belt and it was just slithering on down...
I don't know if you remember this minor detail either, but I guess Bill Cosby was their spokesperson and so they had this HUGE life size cardboard picture of him towards the entrance, so as you were walking in you would see his sillhouette - it always scared the heck out of me! I thought it was some kind of creepy stranger lurking and wanting to snatch us as we walked in.

One of my last memories of going there was visiting the jewelry department. I remember going inside and thinking it was set up in a very outdated way. I could also tell the store just wasn't going to make it any longer. They kept late hours and they had hardly anyone in there half the time. That was around 1996 or so.

ya, I can't really remember when our store went out of business....I think it was only a few years ago...but they had like NO business. They actually split the store and made half of it a TJ Max....and then Service Merchandise left...and Michaels craft store moved in.  I remember walking around Service Merchandise when I was younger...they had a seperate room for all of the stereos, etc...and it was always darker back in there.  They also used to have some interesting "table piece" kind of items...the ones that my mom would say, "Look but DON'T touch"..LOL!

Written By: TheRemf on 09/17/05 at 5:39 pm

In Kansas - Western Auto and Monkey Wards are long gone, and Alco-Duckwall is on the ropes.  Pamida is doing okay in the smaller towns.  I had forgotten about TG&Y, but they are also in the "long gone" category.

I used to live in New England and am sad to see that Ames and Caldor are gone.

Written By: Classie83 on 09/25/05 at 9:02 pm

Remember that store that was almost exactly like Payless...but it was called "Pickway"....I haven't seen those around at all!

I remember Fava and Easy Pickens were just like Payless. Payless is still around btw.

Written By: nally on 09/25/05 at 9:04 pm

I remember Fava and Easy Pickens were just like Payless. Payless is still around btw.

Are you talking about Payless the shoe stores? Yeah I think they're still around. I remember a Payless drugstore that was around during the 90's, but I guess they're obsolete now. :-\\

Written By: traumanurse on 10/20/05 at 5:03 am

remember LaBells?  it was like a service merchandise or best.  Ha!  :P

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/20/05 at 9:57 am

I remember "Best" and "Service Merchandise" and I loved both of those stores...I miss them!  Anyone from the DE area?  They used to be on kirkwood highway.  The only thing I remember about "Best" though is getting my "star wars" action figures there.  Oh and I remember getting a wood-grained clock radio there for my birthday from my grandmother, which I still have...doesn't work anymore after I spilled apple juice in it years and years ago.  I actually drive down Kirkwood highway sometimes and just pass by where those stores used to be, just for the memory.  For some reason going to those stores is a very fond memory for me.  That and Prices Corner shopping center, also in DE, where they had a Woolwoorth's that my family and I always used to eat at.
I want those days back!  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Written By: pacu on 10/23/05 at 4:44 pm

does anyone remember Golden Rule Stores....I think they were a chain of JC Penney's

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/24/05 at 8:21 am

does anyone remember Golden Rule Stores....I think they were a chain of JC Penney's

apparently not      ::)    ::)      :D  :D    ::)

Written By: IanWinn on 11/11/05 at 6:28 am

Yeah, I remember Montgomery Wards (or as some called it, Monkey Wards  ;D ).  One of the nicest dept. stores in the town where I did most of my growing up (Modesto, CA).

On another board, some people are commenting on how the customers in Wally-World are moving around like zombies (blank expressions on the faces).  Is that true where any of you are?  Just curious...

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 11/12/05 at 9:05 pm

Yeah, I remember Montgomery Wards (or as some called it, Monkey Wards  ;D ).  One of the nicest dept. stores in the town where I did most of my growing up (Modesto, CA).

On another board, some people are commenting on how the customers in Wally-World are moving around like zombies (blank expressions on the faces).  Is that true where any of you are?  Just curious...
I live in Modesto! :D You're right about WalMart. Its a horrible shopping experience. WalMart is one of the things ruining this great country of ours. :\'(

Written By: IanWinn on 11/13/05 at 2:21 am

I live in Modesto! :D You're right about WalMart. Its a horrible shopping experience. WalMart is one of the things ruining this great country of ours. :\'(

You live in Modesto?  You have my sympathy!  With Wally-World and the Gallos there, it's not a happy place.

My wife and I moved to Idaho, and it is a whole different world out here!  If you possibly can, get out of Kalifornia.  You deserve better.  Besides, with gun control measures about to spring up there like Destroying Angel mushrooms after a bad rain, it's gonna be a bloodbath, figuratively AND literally, in the next few years.  Besides, with LA county planning on driilling highway tunnels through a major fault line, it's a disaster just waiting to happen.

Yes, we have Wally-World here, but it's not quite so bad as Kalifornia, although I still avoid it like the plague.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/14/05 at 1:15 pm

Yeah, I remember Montgomery Wards (or as some called it, Monkey Wards

Written By: IanWinn on 11/14/05 at 9:30 pm

Wally-World is my sarcastic nickname for Wal-Mart.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/14/05 at 9:33 pm

Wally-World is my sarcastic nickname for Wal-Mart.

Written By: nally on 11/14/05 at 11:40 pm

that's what a lot of people around here call it too.

Hmmm...I've never heard people call it that before. Guess I'll call it that sometime. :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 12/13/05 at 8:28 pm

We have a chain of stores cross-Canada called "Zellers" and I fear that in the near future, they might fold becuase of Wal-Mart.  The local Wal-Mart superstore here opened last year, and it is located just up the block from the Zellers store here.  Becuase of this, the Zellers here had to update their look, and even add in extra aisles for Dairy Products and Frozen Food.  I can't speak for other Zellers locations, but the local one here has never sold frozen or dairy food in the 20+ years they have been here

http://www.dawsonmall.com/zellers.gif

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/15/05 at 11:22 pm

I used to LOVE Hills Dept. Store.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/15/05 at 11:28 pm

Yeah, the same with the Hills store in Benwood, WV (which went out of business in 1997), I used to get my back-to-school clothes and school supplies there back in the 80s.

There also used to be a department store down the road from there called Cooks Brothers (I think), they went out of business in the late 80s and a Value City was put in there.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/15/05 at 11:47 pm

I remember as a child in the 70s getting on the city bus with my mom and little brother and going to the "big" city of Wheeling, West Virginia.  They had department stores Jupiter, Stone and Thomas, Murphy's 5 and 10 store (although nothing ever cost 5 or 10  ;D ), and Mendelson's stores (which were the most fun when I was a child because they had all kinds of little cheap party favor trinkets to browse through).  It was alot of fun to go on these bus rides, and now the city doesn't have any of those stores anymore.  Although Wal-Mart wasn't to blame in killing the stores, it was actually the mall that opened about a half-hour drive away that killed all these stores.  It was also sad for me, because the busses never went that far out (to the mall) so it really made it a haul to get to.
The mall also killed all the local movie theaters when the 10 screen movie complex opened at the mall.  It's sad that the theaters with all their glamour couldn't compete.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/17/05 at 5:18 pm

How many people who decry these places shop in them?  I have never felt the need to enter a
WalMart, I hate the way management treats its employees so it is an easy call.  I have gone into Home Depot, but found it a sub par experience, I have sworn off of it and go to the local Lamson Davis.  I very rarely go into a chain restaurant-Burger King being the exception, I don't eat that junk though, Jake loves it.
I am lucky that I live in a major metropolitan area and do have a lot of choices, but it makes me crazy that
people here, with all those options, still go to Wal Mart

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/17/05 at 10:21 pm

How many people who decry these places shop in them?

Written By: IanWinn on 12/17/05 at 10:54 pm

For my regular grocery shopping, we go to WinCo Foods.  We avoid Wally-World as much as possible.  I'm going to make one stop there this shopping season, and it's to get a pair of their Holiday Bears.  Other than that, I avoid it like a leper colony.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/18/05 at 7:11 am

Well....I try my hardest not to shop there, but lets face it...they are the cheapest grocery store around. I have tried shopping at places like Giant Eagle, Shop n Save, Foodland, etc...but I can't get half of the stuff that I get for the lower price that I do at Walmart.  Honestly, I don't like giving them my business..and I really try to limit going there for mainly food items. I would LOVE to be able to support the other stores...but we don't have a whole lot of money and we gotta do what we gotta do. I always said that if/when someday...things change for us financially..I would be glad to stop shopping there and give the other stores my support. I do try to go to those other stores when I need to pick up a few things at a time....but for a whole grocery order...I go to Walmart. I also agree that they treat their employees horribly (I have a friend that works there and she tells me about it)....and most of the time I hate even going into the building...believe me, if I had another choice..I would certainly go with it....but for now, there's nothing I can do about it.

Sorry, but can't give a pass to this.  I am a single mother, special needs child, no child support, eleven year old car, have at one time had to use foodstamps, lived on unemployment compensation. the whole nine yards.  I earned my "living at the bottom of the economic scale" chops, street cred, all that stuff they call it now.  Never went in to a Wal-Mart.  I know what my parents, grandparents, ad infinatum did in
order to make life better, what they had to sacrifice;  it is nothing to just saying no to Wal Mart.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/19/05 at 12:37 am

Sorry, but can't give a pass to this.

Written By: ADH13 on 12/19/05 at 12:53 am

Sorry, but can't give a pass to this.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/19/05 at 1:39 pm

So are you saying that if you have $10 in your wallet and you need shampoo, toilet paper, milk and light bulbs... you and your child will go without one or more of those necessities just to make a political statement???  Even if you could get all 4 at Walmart?

Ya know, if Walmart changed their policies and gave their employees all the perks, they would raise their prices to compensate for it...like I was just saying in another thread.. and then people would be complaining that they can't afford the basic things they need... and I don't think that's any better than what's happening right now.

My child and I do not go with out things like shampoo, toilet paper, milk, light bulbs, etc.  It is all in planning ahead and forgoing non necessities.  How many people run to save at Wal-Mart, then go home and turn on cable/dsl/dish network.  You cannot avoid all places, or products, but some are
more egregious than others and Wal Mart is one of the worst.

Written By: ADH13 on 12/19/05 at 4:21 pm

My child and I do not go with out things like shampoo, toilet paper, milk, light bulbs, etc.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/19/05 at 5:43 pm

For the record, I am not a regular walmart shopper... I go there maybe twice a year, if that.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/19/05 at 10:13 pm

I agree. I go to Wal-Mart maybe 2-3 times a year, but the last time I went I felt so disgusted with the customers there. I mean, I don't mind going to the mall when it's busy for whatever reason, but going to Wal-Mart is like being ran over by a pack of rabid wolves. People were literally stepping on me or pushing me aside or wouldn't even let me ahead without their carts tapping against me. Also, people would just stop in the middle of the main aisles (and I don't blame them as those aisles are chock full of distracting products that cause even more traffic). I have realised that I will not go there unless it is absolutely necessary.

Now, Target is a different experience. Their aisles are wider, things are organized, the lighting is softer, the customers come off as less annoying. It is far from the maddening crowd that we call Wal-Mart. Plus, they have just as good deals that Wal-Mart have. And the clothes are WAY better - if I don't mind saying :0)

Target has some really cool home furnishings too! :)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/20/05 at 5:34 am

For the record, I am not a regular walmart shopper... I go there maybe twice a year, if that.  But that is mainly because I have no patience for overly crowded stores and lack of parking spaces, which are the things that really annoy me about wal-mart.  I'm willing to pay a little more for the convenience of places like 7-11 (I'm at 7-11 almost every day for one thing or another) where there is always good parking and short lines.  But if I were in a bad financial situation, I would shop at places like Walmart, Target, etc.

I go to Target(but stay away from their electronics!) and similar places.  It is Wal Mart that I refuse to
even consider, and it is all social/political.  It has a lot to do with being brought up to respect the
sacrifices of my ancestors that have enabled me to be in the position I am now in.  I vote in every
election, city, state, and federal, because people died trying to excersize their own right. They were
willing to try to vote knowing they could(and many times were) murdered for just trying.  I don't cross
picket lines because I know about labor history and even though I have issues with unions I do know
without them I wouldn't have the standard of living I do today.  When a company such as WalMart
actively chooses to disrespect the working person(Dead Peasants as they would call us), I don't
hand them my money.  The way the multinationals are set up now it is impossible to boycott every
company in such a manner, but there are some companies, and/or logos, that I can avoid.  I am trying
not to have a preachy tone, sorry if it comes across that way.  It is just something I feel very strongly, and I am trying to explain what I feel, about WalMart.

Written By: gmann on 01/29/06 at 10:55 pm

As noted earlier in this thread, Wal-mart (along with other so-called "big box" stores) put Stambaugh's hardware stores out of business in northeast Ohio. Stambaugh's was a stalwart of Mahoning Valley business; they had been around since the 1800's. My dad used to shop there for auto supplies and lumber. In the mid-90s they tried to reorganize as "Stambaugh Hardware and Paint" to compete with Wal-mart and Sears Hardware. Unfortunately, they messed with a good thing and made smaller stores with less of what you shopped there for in the first place! Dumb move, if you ask me...even if they *were* losing money.

I'll never forget the last time my father shopped at Stambaugh's. Irritated that he couldn't find the merchandise that he had come to depend on for years, he confronted the location's manager with his gripe about less inventory.

Dad: (sarcastic tone) "Gee, these sure are some great changes you've made around here."

Manager: "We think so, too".

Dad:"Yep...they're so great I *can't find anything I'm looking for anymore*!"  8)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/01/06 at 11:23 am

I hate Wal-Mart.  Them and McDonalds are the lords of Globalization.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 02/02/06 at 11:35 pm

As noted earlier in this thread, Wal-mart (along with other so-called "big box" stores) put Stambaugh's hardware stores out of business in northeast Ohio. Stambaugh's was a stalwart of Mahoning Valley business; they had been around since the 1800's. My dad used to shop there for auto supplies and lumber. In the mid-90s they tried to reorganize as "Stambaugh Hardware and Paint" to compete with Wal-mart and Sears Hardware. Unfortunately, they messed with a good thing and made smaller stores with less of what you shopped there for in the first place! Dumb move, if you ask me...even if they *were* losing money.

I'll never forget the last time my father shopped at Stambaugh's. Irritated that he couldn't find the merchandise that he had come to depend on for years, he confronted the location's manager with his gripe about less inventory.

Dad: (sarcastic tone) "Gee, these sure are some great changes you've made around here."

Manager: "We think so, too".

Dad:"Yep...they're so great I *can't find anything I'm looking for anymore*!"  8)

Thats pretty sad. Same thing happened here to the T G and Y stores in the late 80's/early 90s. They "downsized" to try and compete with Walmart and Target, and they lost all their customers by doing so. When they started getting less inventory, they didnt even remodel the inside of the store. You would go in there, and half the store's shelves were empty. Pathetic. They quickly went out of business after that. I think alot of the old stores had no idea what to do when faced with the stiff competition from Walmart and Target. They all overreacted, and lost their businesses in doing so. If they had just joined together and tried to knock Walmart and Target out of business when their takeover started, this country(and the world) would be a totally different place.

Written By: nally on 08/26/06 at 12:20 am

I hate Wal-Mart.  Them and McDonalds are the lords of Globalization.

You got that right. ::) I hates 'em too.

Written By: Wiffle on 08/30/06 at 7:17 am

I do not like Walmart and shop there very little. I do not buy groceries there. Reasons I do not like to shop there:

1. Cheaper prices are often brought about by cheaper quality items. A shirt may look good on the hanger but wash it a few times and the difference in quality comes through.
2. Some brand name items at Walmart are not necessarily the same as that brand name elsewhere. Levi's jeans are an example of this if I recall. They are a lesser quality, cut smaller.
3. Dirty stores.
4. Spoiled food items on display on a regular basis. Especially meat. Yuck.
5. Awful store brand.
6. Carts scattered all over the parking lot, hidden cost of shopping there is my car getting door dings I don't seem to get elsewhere.

If I absolutely must have something, and it is 2:00 a.m., I will go to Walmart. For most other things I tend to avoid Walmart.

Written By: Marian on 10/07/06 at 3:27 pm

Now tower records is being driven out of business by that place!

Written By: nally on 10/07/06 at 3:38 pm

Now tower records is being driven out of business by that place!

oh really? ??? :o I was wondering why I haven't shopped there in ages.

Written By: triviagirl on 07/05/07 at 10:20 pm

I used to love Steinbachs and Two Guys in Jersey.  When we moved down the Jersey Shore in 1969 Two Guys was the only 'department' store!  Now Brick NJ has every chain in existence.  I think I liked it better in 1969!  We even still had several "drive in" theaters in 1969!

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/05/07 at 11:39 pm

I really miss Tower Records, even though they're usually more expensive than most other places, because of the selection.

I wonder if anybody remembers Ardan? It was similar to Service Merchandise. We used to buy a lot of stuff there. They went out of business about 1986 or so.

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 07/25/07 at 8:15 am

Bradlees sucked there store were unkeped and not clean and i can see why then went out

I liked Bradlees.  Before we had a mall in our hometown, we shopped at Bradlees. 
Guess it's all in the way the individual stores were kept...

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 07/25/07 at 8:20 am

I used to love Steinbachs and Two Guys in Jersey.  When we moved down the Jersey Shore in 1969 Two Guys was the only 'department' store!  Now Brick NJ has every chain in existence.  I think I liked it better in 1969!   We even still had several "drive in" theaters in 1969!

Was your Steinbach's the same one we used to have in CT, that started out as Howland's?

Written By: nally on 07/25/07 at 3:43 pm

I really miss Tower Records, even though they're usually more expensive than most other places, because of the selection.

Lately I've been buying my music products at Best Buy or Borders...with my gift cards. I doubt that there's a Tower Records in my area anymore. Haven't seen one recently. :-\\

Written By: triviagirl on 07/25/07 at 8:47 pm

Was your Steinbach's the same one we used to have in CT, that started out as Howland's?

Don't think so...I  don't remember ever seeing a Howland's...
Ever notice that everytime a store disappears you think you'll just die and then you get so used to its replacement that when that one goes you feel like you'll just die all over again?  I guess it's all in the mind!

But I think there is a race to see which pharmacy, which home improvement, which hamburger joint, which bank will put out all of their competitors.  Who will win?  Rite Aid, Eckhard, CVS?  Home Depot or Lowes?  Burger King, McDonalds, Checkers, White Castle or Wendy's?  Sovereign Bank, PNC Bank, Commerce Bank?  I swear, there is a Commerce  Bank going up on practically every corner here in Jersey!
Oh and of course:  Walmart or K-Mart!?  And:  Sams Club, Costco or BJ's!?

I am beginning to think that years from now we will be back to one giantic "General Store"!

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 07/26/07 at 9:23 pm

Don't think so...I  don't remember ever seeing a Howland's...
Ever notice that everytime a store disappears you think you'll just die and then you get so used to its replacement that when that one goes you feel like you'll just die all over again?  I guess it's all in the mind!

But I think there is a race to see which pharmacy, which home improvement, which hamburger joint, which bank will put out all of their competitors.  Who will win?  Rite Aid, Eckhard, CVS?  Home Depot or Lowes?  Burger King, McDonalds, Checkers, White Castle or Wendy's?  Sovereign Bank, PNC Bank, Commerce Bank?   I swear, there is a Commerce  Bank going up on practically every corner here in Jersey!
Oh and of course:  Walmart or K-Mart!?   And:  Sams Club, Costco or BJ's!?

I am beginning to think that years from now we will be back to one giantic "General Store"!

Oh, how I hear you.

The drugstores I can hardly keep up with.  First Genovese turned onto Eckerd, not Eckerd's folding in2 Rite Aid.  And as far as the banks go, 86th Stree here in Brooklyn -- which used to be a decent shopping strip -- is turning into, like, all banks.  And it's ridiculous, really, because the times I've gone in2 the Chase there (my bank), it was dead.  I can't see how they won't fold at some point, because the demand just isn't there.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/30/07 at 5:53 pm

Kinney Shoes, which I had forgotten about until I saw an old advertisement for one in a book about '70s ads, has  been defunct since 1998. I read on Wikipedia that Kinney shoes was once owned by Woolworth, which because of Wal-Mart, went out of business. I still miss Woolworths.

Written By: nally on 07/30/07 at 5:55 pm

Kinney Shoes, which I had forgotten about until I saw an old advertisement for one in a book about '70s ads, has been defunct since 1998. I read on Wikipedia that Kinney shoes was once owned by Woolworth, which because of Wal-Mart, went out of business. I still miss Woolworths.

I remember Kinney Shoes as a little kid in the 1980's! I'd forgotten all about them until now. :o

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/30/07 at 5:57 pm

I remember Kinney Shoes as a little kid in the 1980's! I'd forgotten all about them until now. :o

I know  :o They just kinda went away without much of a good-bye. We use to go there every so often. I believe I got my first pair of Keds from Kinney's because they were the only store that carried them at the time.

Written By: nally on 07/30/07 at 6:04 pm

I know  :o They just kinda went away without much of a good-bye. We used to go there every so often. I believe I got my first pair of Keds from Kinney's because they were the only store that carried them at the time.

I can't remember if I got any of my little-kid shoes from there (although I probably did)... but these places come and go. :-\\ It's a shame that Walmart had to put 'em outta business.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/30/07 at 6:33 pm

I can't remember if I got any of my little-kid shoes from there (although I probably did)... but these places come and go. :-\\ It's a shame that Walmart had to put 'em outta business.

I agree. I was in downtown Martinez over the weekend and it was fun to see the old signs they still had. Us Americans have a hard time just keeping something old and leaving it that way, lol

Written By: triviagirl on 08/01/07 at 8:30 pm

Kinney Shoes, which I had forgotten about until I saw an old advertisement for one in a book about '70s ads, has  been defunct since 1998. I read on Wikipedia that Kinney shoes was once owned by Woolworth, which because of Wal-Mart, went out of business. I still miss Woolworths.

Woolworths is still alive and well in the U.K.!  I just used to love their pizza....but I was a kid and everything is great tasting when you're a kid, right!  But I also loved sitting at the counter and ordering a good old hot dog with kraut and mustard!...Everything that was great is gone:  egg creams at the soda fountains in "non chain" drug stores.....drive in theaters.....thank God we still have Dairy Queen! (in Jersey that is!)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/09/07 at 9:16 am

Do you guys remember PharMor?  We used to have a few of them near us. They used to have a great video rental store there....real cheap, good selection.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 08/15/07 at 3:23 am

Its ironic how the people who get all nostalgic for these stores that Wal Mart put out of business are the same people who put those stores out of business by shopping at Wal Mart so they could save a dime or two.

Not meant as an insult to anyone in this thread. I have also shopped at Wal Mart.

This irony dawned on me a few days ago while having a conversation with my grandma. She was talking about how much she missed T G & Y. She shops at Wal Mart all the time.

What was accomplished by everyone shopping at Wal Mart to save a mere bag of shells and putting their favorite stores out of business?

Terrible service from a store that sells inferior products for a slightly cheap price, most of it shipped here from China. Last but not least, the massive amount of lost jobs, income, and a manufacturing base that is literally extinct and will never return.

Way to go America! :-\\

As our country digs its own grave, we most certainly cannot accuse someone else of digging that grave. We used the shovels ourselves, which miraculously didn't break considering the fact the shovels were made by 10 year old kids in chinese sweatshops.

Written By: KKay on 08/15/07 at 7:04 am

I used to love Steinbachs and Two Guys in Jersey.  When we moved down the Jersey Shore in 1969 Two Guys was the only 'department' store!  Now Brick NJ has every chain in existence.  I think I liked it better in 1969!  We even still had several "drive in" theaters in 1969!

I remember both and we loved them.  We visted the stores in Woodbridge.
i recall Orbachs?  Was that the name?

Only 20 years ago, we were excited to get Pizza Hut and only half the island had cable.
Now we have 3 home depots and millions of Walgreens!  CVS is getting outta hand too.

Written By: triviagirl on 08/25/07 at 8:07 pm

Did you know that Woolworth's still exists in England?  I used to love their pizza!  But I was 10, what do kids know about good pizza!  It was the Woolworth's on Broad Street, Elizabeth, NJ I used to visit frequently for the pizza and of course to take pictures in those little picture booths they had for 25 cents!  Remember that!?

Written By: sugar168 on 11/10/07 at 9:14 pm

clover,  heckengers

Written By: Lindee on 12/20/07 at 10:59 am

I remember Phar-Mor...which was a pretty good store, until they became a "super" store...they got rid of their video rental dept..and didn't have much of anything...and then they went out of business.

I also remember Phar Mor. It went out of business and then became an F&M. Then F&M went out of business and became a Drug Emporium which eventually went out of business. All we have are mostly Walgreens and a few CVS stores.

Written By: Bryanatsck on 12/25/07 at 10:20 am

We have a chain of stores cross-Canada called "Zellers" and I fear that in the near future, they might fold becuase of Wal-Mart.  The local Wal-Mart superstore here opened last year, and it is located just up the block from the Zellers store here.  Becuase of this, the Zellers here had to update their look, and even add in extra aisles for Dairy Products and Frozen Food.  I can't speak for other Zellers locations, but the local one here has never sold frozen or dairy food in the 20+ years they have been here

http://www.dawsonmall.com/zellers.gif

same here where I'm at. There use to be 2 zellers now there's one a it barley stays a float. The wal-marts a block away and allways packed to the point the intersection there is always jammed

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/25/07 at 4:58 pm

Did you know that Woolworth's still exists in England?  I used to love their pizza!  But I was 10, what do kids know about good pizza!  It was the Woolworth's on Broad Street, Elizabeth, NJ I used to visit frequently for the pizza and of course to take pictures in those little picture booths they had for 25 cents!  Remember that!?

I LOVED those little photo booths, we have a few strips of photos taken in one over the years.  Now I doubt I could fit into one of those booths now.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...