inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remember old time movie houses?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/21/05 at 8:12 pm

Remember the time before 16 and 18 Multi-Plex movie houses? Remember when you could go into a movie theatre and not feel overwhelmed by how huge and commercial it was? I remember waiting in line at our old movie theatres in my old home town. Our two theatres were built pre-1960. The Stamm was built in the 50's and the El Campinel was built in the early 1930's. These were truly vintage theatres. We had one newer theatre called the Metro 4 which was probably installed in the late 1960's or 1970's. We often went to the Campinel and Stamm because they were so unique. The carpet was old fashioned, it had old chandeliers, ornate painted ceilings and red velvety chairs. It also had stadium seating, which seemed to have been a lost form after the 1940's and 50's. I won't forget getting our tickets and them being just those standard tickets that you see nowadays (such as raffle looking tickets). I remember the feeling of how a small theatre felt. One day, a huge theatre was built and it was known as Brenden 8. We thought that was SUCH a big deal! Plus, this was the first theatre in our area to have THX surround sound systems, so from going from the generic mono sounding Dolby to Lucasfilm THX was music to my ears. I had no idea what I had been missing. Now going to the older theatres seemed so passe. We were moving on. And our town was getting bigger with it. The Brenden was eventually added onto and now can house 16 theatres! Well, now that these big theatres are a dime a dozen, guess what!? Hardly anyone is at the Brenden anymore. Believe it or not, this theatre may fall like the other classics did. (the last time I saw a movie at the Stamm was in 1993, it was closed shortly after; the Metro 4 is now just a large Hollywood Video store; the El Campinel is a stage theatre for theatre troupes and recording artists). I will miss those old fashioned days, but maybe someday the Stamm will shine bright again.

Subject: Re: Remember old time movie houses?

Written By: lorac614 on 07/26/05 at 12:25 pm

I saw my first movie in a theater like that, it was called "The Lane" .

I remember the painted ceiling, with the stars and planets, the red velvet curtains on either side of the screen, the red velvet chairs that were used so often the velvet was almost gone off the arm rests.  It had a balcony, we were not allowed to sit up there (I guess my parents knew what the teenagers did there!  LOL!).

Oh, and the movie was "Dumbo"

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/26/05 at 2:23 pm

I saw my first movie in a theater like that, it was called "The Lane" .

I remember the painted ceiling, with the stars and planets, the red velvet curtains on either side of the screen, the red velvet chairs that were used so often the velvet was almost gone off the arm rests.  It had a balcony, we were not allowed to sit up there (I guess my parents knew what the teenagers did there!  LOL!).

Oh, and the movie was "Dumbo"

Thanks for responding - I sounded a bit nostaglic on that post (almost to the point to sappiness) but I guess I just never knew what I had until it was gone. Yeah, we weren't allowed into the higher balcony area either. I guess they knew kids use to do that stuff all those years.. darn those kids, lol. Yeah, and I really remember those chairs being soo worn in (or out, lol) that you could see the foam cushion underneath it. I'm sure they weren't the cleanest of places either. Some of the first movies I remember seeing in the theatre are "The Fox & the Hound," "BeetleJuice" and unfortunatly some that now escape my mind. We also had drive in theatres (one still exists, the other shut down and is now a shopping center/driving range).

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/05 at 2:32 pm

We always have our firms' Christmas Lunch in an old Cinema here in London, which has been change into a chain pub/restaurant.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/26/05 at 3:57 pm

We always have our firms' Christmas Lunch in an old Cinema here in London, which has been change into a chain pub/restaurant.

Wow Philip, that's a beauty!

Here is the El Campinel in todays form (an artist's rendition)

http://www.110mag.com/archives/0407/0407g/0407g_1.jpg

Written By: lorac614 on 07/26/05 at 9:11 pm

We also had drive in theatres (one still exists, the other shut down and is now a shopping center/driving range).

We have a couple of drive-ins in my area.  I think my husband was concieved here... :o

http://www.drive-ins.com/imagesdt/vatmoon10.jpg

I actually like going to the drive-in, but I haven't been in a while.  Maybe the next time the're playing a kids movie I'll take my children.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/27/05 at 2:22 pm

We have a couple of drive-ins in my area.  I think my husband was concieved here... :o

http://www.drive-ins.com/imagesdt/vatmoon10.jpg

I actually like going to the drive-in, but I haven't been in a while.  Maybe the next time the're playing a kids movie I'll take my children.

That's a neat looking one... it looks like it was built in the mid-1960's... It looks like something I've seen in Las Vegas. They have a lot of buildings that still exist that look like that.. uh oh, was he concieved in the car at the drive in?? lol

Subject: A holdout

Written By: Echo Nomad on 02/28/06 at 11:36 pm

Yeah, I remember, if fact I'll create a new memory this Sunday!  :)

My little town actually still has it's downtown theater. It ain't a palace but it's about the cheapest in the area. A matinee only cost 3.50 and popcorn and drinks only cost 1.50 each. It houses 2 small theaters screens.

Written By: Allie Fox on 03/01/06 at 3:41 pm

Looking for an old theater that you used to frequent that has since gone the way of the Dodo?

Check out Cinema Treasures

Written By: whistledog on 03/16/06 at 2:00 am

The one in the city I was born in is called "The Empire Threatre".  It was built in the 1930's, and was just recently renovated into a concert hall, and as of recent, many well-known names have come there to perform (Christopher Cross, Colin James, The Nylons, Carl Palmer ...)

http://www.doorsopenontario.on.ca/userfiles/page_attachments/1/4293_909697_Empire-Theatre.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/16/06 at 2:10 am

The El Rey theatre of Manteca, Ca.  was nearly destroyed in a fire in 1974, ironically upon the final showing of the Towering Inferno.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/ElRey.jpg
Built in the 1930's I watched many a matinee here in the 60's, most memorable being the Beatles  A Hard Days Night, and Help.
The old time theatre I go to when I want to get away from the big 16-25 screen  cinemaplexs is the Rheem Theatre in Moraga, Ca. It's about 20 miles from my home.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/rheem.jpg It was built in the 50's as 1 big screen with a stage for theatre productions and musicals, but has been split into 4 screens and the seats are old and rickety, but it's never crowded and the movie goers are mainly students from St. Marys College right down the street.  There is a plethora of old time classic movie houses within 25miles of each other, the Orinda theatre, the Park theatre in Lafayette, Ca. and many more in the bay area.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/16/06 at 1:15 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/16/06 at 1:23 pm

The El Rey theatre of Manteca, Ca.  was nearly destroyed in a fire in 1974, ironically upon the final showing of the Towering Inferno.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/ElRey.jpg
Built in the 1930's I watched many a matinee here in the 60's, most memorable being the Beatles  A Hard Days Night, and Help.
The old time theatre I go to when I want to get away from the big 16-25 screen  cinemaplexs is the Rheem Theatre in Moraga, Ca. It's about 20 miles from my home.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/rheem.jpg It was built in the 50's as 1 big screen with a stage for theatre productions and musicals, but has been split into 4 screens and the seats are old and rickety, but it's never crowded and the movie goers are mainly students from St. Marys College right down the street.  There is a plethora of old time classic movie houses within 25miles of each other, the Orinda theatre, the Park theatre in Lafayette, Ca. and many more in the bay area.

Is the El Rey still around, Mike?? I like the old timey feel of it. I have seen a movie or two at the Park in Lafayette. I also have been to a few in Berkeley. The Californian is fun to watch a movie at. You're at level with the screen and it's at a slight angle. My brother lives about 3 blocks from the Rheem in Moraga (or is it Rheem the town, lol - who knows, it's so darn small you wouldn't know if you were in it or not! lol)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/16/06 at 1:32 pm

http://www.roadsidepeek.com/roadusa/southwest/california/nocal/nocaltheatre/californiatheatberk.jpg

This is the California Theatre in Berkeley. A very neat, old timey theatre.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/16/06 at 7:07 pm

http://www.roadsidepeek.com/roadusa/southwest/california/nocal/nocaltheatre/californiatheatberk.jpg

This is the California Theatre in Berkeley. A very neat, old timey theatre.
Rheem is a town.  I screwed up and deleted pics of the Rheem or something happened, I'll re post them when i get home from work,
Krissy, the El Rey theatre is now Kelley Bros. Brewing Company and Brickyard Oven and thats where I had lunch on my 50th birthday last month Feb 23d. They have some of the original seats from the movie house in the waiting area, it's pretty cool, and memorabelia from the theatre. it was a really neat place back in the 60's, early 70's and it sure looked a lot bigger back then when I was a young pidwacker, but then everything looked huge to a 9 year old.
I've been to the California many times, and also the Oaks theatre in Berkeley, another old time classic movie house

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/16/06 at 11:31 pm

Is the El Rey still around, Mike?? I like the old timey feel of it. I have seen a movie or two at the Park in Lafayette. I also have been to a few in Berkeley. The Californian is fun to watch a movie at. You're at level with the screen and it's at a slight angle. My brother lives about 3 blocks from the Rheem in Moraga (or is it Rheem the town, lol - who knows, it's so darn small you wouldn't know if you were in it or not! lol)
the El Rey theatre today is now the Kelley Bros. Brewing Company and Brickyard Oven.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/kellybros2.jpg
It's huge inside, and they have a large patio outdoors that attracts the locals during the warmer season. I'm gonna go hang out once or twice this summer. I thought my pics had deleted, but it was the stupid work computer. all is well

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/16/06 at 11:41 pm

Ahh, I see what they did to it. It still has the Marquee. That's cool! Maybe when I'm down that way I ought to check it out. My cousin lives towards that area so maybe we'll head into town. I'm such a sucker for these things. I LOVE old timey, stuff!

By the way, here's a picture I took myself of the facade of the El Campinel in Antioch. This place holds special memories for me, too. I still long for it's old theatre days and can't wait to see a movie there soon when they end up showing some later on.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/ultraviolet521/IMG_0394.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/16/06 at 11:47 pm

Ahh, I see what they did to it. It still has the Marquee. That's cool! Maybe when I'm down that way I ought to check it out. My cousin lives towards that area so maybe we'll head into town. I'm such a sucker for these things. I LOVE old timey, stuff!

By the way, here's a picture I took myself of the facade of the El Campinel in Antioch. This place holds special memories for me, too. I still long for it's old theatre days and can't wait to see a movie there soon when they end up showing some later on.

thats a great pic, love the bell. When's the last time they rang the bell?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/16/06 at 11:50 pm

thats a great pic, love the bell. When's the last time they rang the bell?

To be honest, it had to be over 40 years ago - or, maybe never. They may have just been for decoration purposes. There are actually two more bells on each side of the building as well. But, those didn't get a wide angle on my picture so I went slim with just focusing on the one centered bell. I've been to the backstage of this theatre. It had Clark Gable's signature on the dressing room wall!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/17/06 at 1:10 am

To be honest, it had to be over 40 years ago - or, maybe never. They may have just been for decoration purposes. There are actually two more bells on each side of the building as well. But, those didn't get a wide angle on my picture so I went slim with just focusing on the one centered bell. I've been to the backstage of this theatre. It had Clark Gable's signature on the dressing room wall!
very cool, Clark had one of the most memorable quotes from a movie ever.  These old movie houses are great. I wish i owned one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/06 at 2:11 am

To me that cinema picture could have been an old chapel, with the bell being used to call the parishioners to church.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/17/06 at 2:34 am

To me that cinema picture could have been an old chapel, with the bell being used to call the parishioners to church.
Yes, it looks like a mission

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/17/06 at 1:46 pm

Yeah, I believe this theatre had a theme to it, a mission them obviously due to it being in California. The inside is very ornate. It makes you think that movie houses were taken more seriously then than they are now. I think because to them, being a movie theatre, it could also be a live theatre, too. So, it served several purpsoses. I've been to a very old theatre in Wilmington, North Carolina that was also quite beautiful, but I can't quite remember the theme of it.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/17/06 at 1:48 pm

very cool, Clark had one of the most memorable quotes from a movie ever.   These old movie houses are great. I wish i owned one.

I agree, these new multiplex centres are just the most mundane soul less places..stop demolishing the old Deco ones!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/06 at 1:51 pm

I agree, these new multiplex centres are just the most mundane soul less places..stop demolishing the old Deco ones!!!
...but there is one good advantage to these multiplex centres is that if one film is sold out, you can have a choice of another movie.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/17/06 at 2:21 pm

...but there is one good advantage to these multiplex centres is that if one film is sold out, you can have a choice of another movie.

Hmm I never seem to find 2 films on at the same time I'd like to see. Too much choice these days and it isn't necessarily for the better...imo  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/06 at 2:29 pm

Hmm I never seem to find 2 films on at the same time I'd like to see. Too much choice these days and it isn't necessarily for the better...imo  ;D
Judging by the list of films at my local multiplex, there is only one film worth seeing and I saw that last Sunday.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/17/06 at 5:10 pm

One thing I've noticed with America is we can't seem to hang onto stuff for longer than 50 to 60 years without demolishing it. It's a bit disheartening. At least the more old world countries seem to hang onto this stuff with more affection than a destruction ball hitting it.

Written By: gmann on 03/18/06 at 12:59 pm

One thing I've noticed with America is we can't seem to hang onto stuff for longer than 50 to 60 years without demolishing it. It's a bit disheartening. At least the more old world countries seem to hang onto this stuff with more affection than a destruction ball hitting it.

In America, we like to use stuff until it falls apart or the economy around it makes its necessary to build elsewhere. There are (or were until recently) portions of Cleveland that seem to have been abandoned and left to rot while progress marched out toward the suburbs and beyond. It's a story that's been played out in cities everywhere, though revitalization efforts have made a difference in some places. 
In my old hometown, a depressed economy meant stores in the downtown area were shuttered...but then re-opened in shiny new strip malls out in the 'burbs.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/18/06 at 10:31 pm

In America, we like to use stuff until it falls apart or the economy around it makes its necessary to build elsewhere. There are (or were until recently) portions of Cleveland that seem to have been abandoned and left to rot while progress marched out toward the suburbs and beyond. It's a story that's been played out in cities everywhere, though revitalization efforts have made a difference in some places. 
In my old hometown, a depressed economy meant stores in the downtown area were shuttered...but then re-opened in shiny new strip malls out in the 'burbs.

It's a strange cycle, I presume. I suppose a lot of it has to do with the price of the property and the cost of the lease.

Written By: BRBennett on 03/23/06 at 1:01 pm

Those old movie houses had character.  I remember them fondly, as Philadelphia had many.  The first-run theaters in Center City and the neighborhood joints where we would go in the pre-video days to watch a film for a buck were a big part of my teen years.

For those who live here in Philly (or those who have since moved away), you may remember the concentration of movie houses that were around the 16th & Chestnut / 16th & Market area where skyscrapers like Liberty Place I & II now sit.  The Duke, Duchess, Milgram, Stage Door, and Fox Theaters were all found in that one area.  The dominant chain at the time was Eric theater chain.  The flagship theater, the SamEric, still stands at 21st and Chestnut, saved from the demolition crews and to be made alive again for movies and live shows.

For us South Philly types, we'll remember the Broadway, the Colonial, the President, and the Stadium to name just a few.  Now if you want to see a movie in South Philly or Center City, you need to trek to Columbus Blvd to the Riverfront complex.  I think 17 screens.  While you may find whatever you want there, it doesn't replace those movie houses that we once knew.  I still remember sitting in the balcony of the Goldman theater at 15th & Chestnut watching the movie "Vice Squad", one of the last shown there before it gave way to a high-rise office building.  You just can't get a real movie experience today like you did back then.  Thankfully many of us lived in an era where we were able to experience those things.

B

Check for new replies or respond here...