inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When shopping malls close...

Written By: Dagwood on 12/03/05 at 8:24 pm

The mall in which Tiffany filmed her video for I Think We're Alone Now.

Subject: When shopping malls close...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/15/05 at 11:33 pm

It's kind of sad to see when a shopping mall dies, I mean to think whatever businesses or homes were torn down to make way for these huge shopping malls to be built and now the mall is gone too.  Just sorta makes me sad.

The Salem Mall near me - pictures http://www.innovative-auctions.com/Pages%20&%20Pix/2005/Jan-June%2005/04-09-05%20Salem%20Mall/040905pix1.htm

The first mall in the metropolitan Dayton area. It was opened in 1969

They are going to tear it all down and build it again.  Makes sense, right?  :D

Subject: Re: When shopping malls close...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/16/05 at 9:57 am

yea, we just had one recently close and be demolished near us to....only to make room for yet another stupid Walmart ::)  It was such a cool mall in its day...it was small, yet supplied all of the stores that you needed to find stuff at. I worked there for a short time too, but that was when the business was starting to go downhill...so it was pretty desolate at that time.

here's a link to info about it:

Greengate Mall

http://www.freewebs.com/greengatemallrevisited/index.htm

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/16/05 at 9:59 am

It's kind of sad to see when a shopping mall dies, I mean to think whatever businesses or homes were torn down to make way for these huge shopping malls to be built and now the mall is gone too.

Written By: whistledog on 12/16/05 at 10:33 am

We recently had a Shopping Mall close down here in favour of Box Stores.  The mall had been constructed in the 70's, and my grandfather actually helped build it.  I all honesty, I am glad the mall is gone.  Back in 2002, I had a near-tragic event there that has scarred me for life.  Good riddance I say  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 12/17/05 at 5:08 pm

There was a large mall in Worcester Massachusetts that closed, it has one or two stores in it and that
is it, I don't know why they stay.  You can actually still go in and walk around.  It would seem to me that
this time of year it would be a haven for kids skipping school and the homeless.  It would seem to me
that they could think of something constructive to do with it.

Written By: GREEN67 on 12/19/05 at 11:58 am

8)  My old stomping grounds from the 80s closed down, Mall Of Memphis...It had the best arcade and an Ice skating rink even, I am sad..also another mall..The Hickory ridge Mall is closing down..I spent every weekend there...at the Barrell of Fun arcade...we all went back and forth between the two..and the East End Skating rink...That is still there but taken over completely by undesirables!...SAD!!

Written By: nally on 12/19/05 at 1:30 pm

Two malls in my area have bitten the dust:

When the Sherman Oaks Galleria mall in L.A. closed in 1998/1999, I thought they were gonna dismantle it, but I guess they've remodeled it into something new.

The Plaza Pasadena mall in Pasadena closed for good about five years ago. During the 1990's, it was going downhill; last I heard, it was gonna be dismantled. Something like that. :-\\

Written By: Tia on 12/19/05 at 1:40 pm

I think I mentioned this on another thread but you simply must go to deadmalls.com. you must! Check out hunt valley mall in Maryland. Those pictures are so creepy.

My childhood malls in Maryland are still around -- but wheaton mall is totally different,. White flint still looks about the same. I should go to PG plaza, we used to skip in high school and go see the 10:30 matinee there. Good times. That's why I had to repeat my junior year.

I couldn't find seabrook mall in Houston when I went there in 2001.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/19/05 at 3:28 pm

I think I mentioned this on another thread but you simply must go to deadmalls.com. you must! Check out hunt valley mall in Maryland. Those pictures are so creepy.

My childhood malls in Maryland are still around -- but wheaton mall is totally different,. White flint still looks about the same. I should go to PG plaza, we used to skip in high school and go see the 10:30 matinee there. Good times. That's why I had to repeat my junior year.

I couldn't find seabrook mall in Houston when I went there in 2001.

that's a great website!! The mall that I was talking about (Greengate Mall in Pennsylvania) is featured on that website as well!

Written By: Tia on 12/19/05 at 4:15 pm

Deadmalls rocks. I sent them a gushing fan email giving em an update on hunt valley mall (it's getting revamped as a simulated old town) and just generally praising the heck out of em fanboy fashion but never heard anything back. :( I'm not sure it's still active.

Written By: nally on 12/20/05 at 3:24 pm

The www.deadmalls.com link was posted on the "Galleria Mall" thread; I just visited it a few minutes ago. I didn't see any pictures (didn't look for any) but I found a list of "dead malls" in my neck of the woods.

Subject: Re: Ogden City Mall

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/21/05 at 9:20 am

Oh wow, that's kinda sad. Like a piece of history being taken down. I live around 1000 miles away in California (never been there) but it's still sad.

I've seen several 80's documentaries on VH1 (not just the several "I Love the 80's") since the late 90's which have what looks like an identical shot of the outside of that mall.

The sign had white and yellow letters if I recall. Based on the look, I'd estimate that footage was taken in the first half of the 80's, maybe even very late 70's.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/09/06 at 11:30 am

The whole concept of a major shopping mall (or shopping centre, here) closing down is completely alien to us here in Oz. Indeed, I can't think of a single case anywhere in the country ever. Though the trend is strip malls, shopping malls are still extremely lucrative and rents very highe.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 2:52 pm

The malls in Oregon suck, although Pioneer Palace in P-Town is pretty nice.

A couple years ago the Dunkin Donuts in Eugene became "Broadway Donuts"  >:(

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/16/06 at 5:51 pm

Carolina Circle Mall was one great mall here in Greensboro. It opened in 1976 but sadly closed in 2002 and was torn down in 2005. :\'(

That mall had it all. I believe in the 70's-80's it had an ice rink, but when I was around in the 90's, they had a carousel. Man I loved that thing. I'd go to that mall at least once a week. I have a blog dedicated to that mall here http://ccmcity.blogspot.com

Deadmalls.com only has a link to information about Carolina Circle and that link takes you to a site I've seen a million times that hasn't updated most of its information since 1999.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/16/06 at 7:05 pm

If you love malls, come to my home state of NJ...I think we have more malls per capita than any other state. Look in Wayne, Paramus, Livingston, and Short Hills for the best north NJ malls, but they're all along the highways too.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 02/28/06 at 11:18 pm

Yeah, the process of tearing down malls and replacing them with box stores seems to be the trend for the 00's. But it was proabably inevitable since these places were generally built as one piece which limited them both business wise as well as the physical condition.
I've seen this also happen at one of the smaller malls in Clearwater Florida and Davenport Iowa.

Believe it or not I applaud this move by land owners. At least they're reusing the property rather than just abandoning it and ripping out valuable farmland to build new stores like they did in the 90's.

Subject: For those who visited the 'MallsofAmerica' blogspot

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/06/06 at 5:12 am

For those who don't yet know, the 'Malls of America' blogspot run by Keith Milford http://mallsofamerica.blogspot.com is an awesome is fascinating site showing photos and info on retro shopping malls of the 60s and 70s. Thanks to Tia for giving me the link...now it's one of my most visited sites after inthe00.com. For those that have visited it, I've sort of interested to know, judging by the photos, which of the many wonderful shopping malls would you visit if given the chance?

My top five would be:

1. Topanga Plaza, Canoga Park, CA
2. Cherry Hill Mall, Cherry Hill, NJ
3. Chris Town (now Spectrum Mall) Mall, Phoenix, AZ
4. Universal City Mall, Detroit, MI
5. Cinderella City Mall, Englewood, CO

Written By: nally on 03/10/06 at 11:55 pm

In Oxnard, CA, near where I live, there used to be an Esplanade mall. But it got dismantled in the late 1990's, when the Pacific View mall in Ventura (just 4 miles to the northwest, via highway 101) expanded and became a 2-story mall. In the 2000's, the Esplanade was revived and became just a...how do I wanna say this... large shopping center. There's a Borders bookstore, a Party America store, Tilly's, Home Depot... and a few other stores you won't really find in shopping (regional) malls.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/11/06 at 6:58 pm

The Audubon Shopping Center,in Audubon,N.J., was leveled and replaced
with a Wal-Mart.The Pennsauken Farmers Mart, Pennsauken, N.J., just closed
it's doors a couple of months ago.

Subject: Re: Ogden City Mall

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/16/06 at 7:03 am

Is the Ogden City Mall supposed to be haunted? I remember reading something about a haunted mall, and Ogden City came to mind.

Subject: Do you have any old mall pics?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/01/06 at 4:32 am

If so, would you be kind enough to share them? I've always been really interested in that sort of thing...

Subject: Re: Do you have any old mall pics?

Written By: Roadgeek on 04/01/06 at 5:30 pm

This is my favorite local dead mall Carolina Circle Mall. The picture was taken in 1989.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/24/07 at 11:10 pm

Hey movie fans, on the deadmalls.com website, look up "Dixie Square Mall" in Harvey, IL

Here's a direct link: http://www.deadmalls.com/malls/dixie_square_mall.html

Fascinating piece of trivia for movie fans!  ;)

If you read the whole description, though, it's actually pretty sad...    :(

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/24/07 at 11:31 pm

No malls dying here. They just keep on upgrading existing ones, there's a ton of large malls in this city alone. I wish they'd (the council) spend the money in the central city that needs a good tidy up. And also the beach front suburbs need a good doing over too. But instead they'd rather spend the money to upgrade and extend out our already oversized suburban shopping centres.

Written By: nally on 05/26/07 at 1:30 am

If so, would you be kind enough to share them? I've always been really interested in that sort of thing...

I just remembered....near where we currently live, in Oxnard, CA, there is/was a "dead" mall...the Esplanade. It used to be a regional shopping mall, but closed in the late 90's when the Pacific View Mall in nearby Ventura expanded and became a two-story mall. The Esplanade as a shopping mall was dismantled in 1999/2000...and rebuilt as a shopping center, with numerous stores/restaurants and a huge parking lot.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/06/07 at 8:25 pm

Luckly the two big malls in Oakville, are still around.

The only malls opened in Thunder Bay are:

Arthur Street Marketplace

Centennial Square 

County Fair Plaza 

Grandview Mall 

Intercity Shopping Centre 

Northwood Park Plaza

Victoriaville Centre 

Written By: whistledog on 06/06/07 at 9:22 pm

I remember way back when the big shopping mall here known as 'Cataraqui Town Centre' wasn't even built yet.  The only mall accessible to us was the Frontenac Mall, which was much smaller, though at the time, it was a really popular mall, then in 1984, Cataraqui was built, and the Frontenac Mall never recovered, but it kept alive cause it had a Woolco, which evolved into Wal-Mart in the mid 90s.

Wal-Mart has since left, but the mall still does OK business.  There is a Value Village thrift shop, and Food Basics which bring in high traffic

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/07/07 at 9:41 am

Cool, I work at a Foods Basic store, as a produce clerk.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/18/07 at 11:23 pm

The other day, Chris and I were planning on going to the drive-in...but we were really early...so we decided to stop in this (nearly defunct) mall to see what was left of it.  Upon entering, it was the most depressing thing I've seen in a long time. I think the only thing left in the mall was: A small cinema, a Dollar General Store, A National City Bank, a spot where they have flea-markets on Fridays, and a tiny fudge stand in the center. The lady from the fudge stand was like, "would you guys like a free sample?" It almost seemed ridiculous to me, but then I felt upset that we may have been one of the only traces of human life she's seen the entire day...I mean, who actually buys the fudge?

We walked up and down the mall, and I took notice to the vacant stores...some of the remains of the storefronts almost seemed like they were crying out for someone's business. I remember remarking on a certain store, saying that it must have been something neato, because there were traces of little stars on the store marquee.  Most of the stores contained nothing but dust and debris from yesteryear's.

It was quite sad, as it reminded me of one of our local (and one of my favorite) malls from the past. It had so much potential, yet, they decided to tear it down and build a super Walmart complex.

I fear for this current mall, I believe it doesn't have much longer until it joins the other defunct mall's demise. :(

Written By: leopren on 07/03/07 at 8:37 pm

i dont know how is the reality in USA. Here in Chile, the first mall is an 80 icon called Apumanque, but today is underrated compared to the Malls Plaza(is one of them in each Sector of Santiago and in each region trough the countie). Here in Chile the malls are the greatest bussiness, with great success.(maybe for  there is no Walmart here in Chile, but a supermarket brand of Chile growing up in that direction called Lider, so maybe in few years that be  the situation here)

P.D : excuse my gramatics, i`m still learning English, for the moment is really basic.

Check for new replies or respond here...