inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Radio Shack

Written By: whistledog on 12/23/05 at 11:21 pm

I'm curious, does Radio Shack still exist in America?

Subject: Re: Radio Shack

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/23/05 at 11:40 pm

Yes...we have like TONS of them around here in Western Pa....it seems like there is one in every shopping center/mall.

Written By: nally on 12/26/05 at 5:46 pm

I was gonna say! I think we still have a few locations here in Southern California too! In fact, I know we do...I just looked at the phone book and saw some locations listed.

Written By: Watcher29 on 12/30/05 at 3:30 pm

I see 'em all the time here in Kansas City. I just bought something there the other day.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/02/06 at 6:48 am

Plenty of them in the Boston Area.  I didn't know that Circuit City owned them though.  I won't go into
a Circuit City, but I love Radio Shack.

Written By: Satish on 01/04/06 at 1:28 pm

Plenty of them in the Boston Area.  I didn't know that Circuit City owned them though.  I won't go into
a Circuit City, but I love Radio Shack.

No, it's just in Canada. Circuit City bought out Radio Shack's Canadian operations. That's why their old stores are called "The Source" now.

But Radio Shack's stil around in the US, though.

Written By: DJ Midas on 01/05/06 at 9:41 pm

Yep.  I have something crazy like three within a five-mile radius of my house...soon to be equipped with a Starbucks counter. :D

Kidding on the Starbucks...although there's about 10 within a five-mile radius of my house...

Written By: jackas on 01/13/06 at 9:24 pm

Yep, there are tons in the states.  What a weird store anyway.  It's like odds and ends and junk.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/16/06 at 3:25 pm

Yep, there are tons in the states.  What a weird store anyway.  It's like odds and ends and junk.

It's a good place to find cell phone accessories like headsets and chargers.  It seems like most other stores never have the one I need.

Written By: Classie83 on 01/22/06 at 8:49 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: nally on 01/29/06 at 2:43 pm

Come to think of it, I think there still may be some around in my area. I just have to look in the phone book for locations.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/01/06 at 2:55 pm

In Oregon it is still Radio Shack, I think in the rest of America too  :)

Written By: jackas on 02/02/06 at 11:26 am

Come to think of it, I think there still may be some around in my area. I just have to look in the phone book for locations.

Howard? ???

Written By: spaceace on 02/02/06 at 11:58 am

We got one here! :)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/25/06 at 12:32 am

Yes, we have a Radio Shack in Hamilton Mall, another one in Shore Mall, another one in Northfield, and one in Ventnor Heights(Ventnor Plaza)...Radio Shack is cool, lots of computer accessories there, also stuff like MP3 players and R/C vehicles...Yes, it's techie heaven. And their staff is knowledeable about the stuff they sell...unlike some places where they don't have the foggiest idea!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/25/06 at 12:48 am

I've always been under the impression that Radio Shack's merchandise was pretty much junk...I don't know, I guess it's just people's opinions that I have heard concerning items they have bought there in the past.

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/26/06 at 4:33 pm

Got a lot of them here in NC. I was able to replace the cable for my digital camera there a few months ago.

Written By: nally on 02/27/06 at 4:39 pm

Howard? ???

Who?? What??

Subject: Proliferation

Written By: Echo Nomad on 02/28/06 at 11:10 pm

Radio Shack- The "subway" of electronic stores!

Subway as in the restraunt chain that seems to be every small town. Living in a small town, I appreciate having a radio shack in our community because the small department store here has a really limited electronics deaprtment.

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/15/08 at 3:29 pm

Living in Illinois they're as numerous as Subway sandwhich shops

Written By: wsmith4 on 03/17/08 at 8:21 am

I've always been under the impression that Radio Shack's merchandise was pretty much junk...I don't know, I guess it's just people's opinions that I have heard concerning items they have bought there in the past.

I always felt that way, too.  Isn't their brand called "Realistic" or something like that?  I remember going in there a lot as a kid because we used to have one in our town.  I'd go with my dad, who was just getting phone cords and stuff like that... I remember them having really cool remote control cars though!!

Written By: Midas on 03/17/08 at 4:23 pm

Most of their components (ie the Realistic brand) aren't anything to brag about, but Radio Shack has all sorts of cables and connectors that come in handy and are usually cheaper and more accessible to obtain than say, going through Crutchfield or some other online electronics site.  I recently bought some stereo speaker wire there.  Back when I was ready to take my internet show live I bought some wacky-ass Y-connector in order to get stereo sound from my DJ equipment (RCA connector jacks) to my PC (1/8" stereo jack).  :)

Written By: Jessica on 03/17/08 at 6:31 pm

I hate that store with the fury of ten thousand suns. The ones I have been too have never impressed me and the salespeople are pushy and rude. The last time I went in there, I walked out because I had asked for help, but they were too damned busy gossiping amongst themselves to do so.

So screw 'em. :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/17/08 at 10:00 pm

It varies from store to store.  I got the surprise of my life shortly after a long-distance move when I went looking for an electronic component on short notice, and in my desperation, I noticed that there was a Rat Shack within walking distance, which was a lot closer than the nearest Fry's.  The guy behind the counter knew exactly what I was building, and while he didn't have it in stock, he was able to direct me to the town's electronics surplus store, which did.  It was a refreshing memory of a greatness long since vanished into the mists of time.

But 99% of the franchises now exist solely to sell batteries and wireless phones.  "You've got questions?  We've got blank stares."

Written By: shiroihikari on 04/02/08 at 1:19 pm

My dad used to go to Radio Shack all the time when I was a kid.  I personally haven't set foot in one in quite some time.

Written By: Tia on 04/02/08 at 1:21 pm

yeah, there's lots. they save their customers the frustration of buying electronics only to have them break later by making sure their electronics dont work when you buy them. ::)

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/02/08 at 2:54 pm

I hate that store with the fury of ten thousand suns. The ones I have been too have never impressed me and the salespeople are pushy and rude. The last time I went in there, I walked out because I had asked for help, but they were too damned busy gossiping amongst themselves to do so.

So screw 'em. :D

LOL that's a lot of hate!

Written By: midnite on 04/19/08 at 5:11 pm

I agree and alot of people I know agree.  I have wondered for years how they can possibly still be in business - especially with big stores like Best Buy and Circuit City.  I haven't been in A Radio Shack in years.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/21/08 at 7:21 am

I don't want Radio Shack to close!!!!!!!!!!  :(    :\'(

Written By: Red Ant on 04/21/08 at 8:47 pm

But 99% of the franchises now exist solely to sell batteries and wireless phones.  "You've got questions?  We've got blank stares."

Yep! Back when I got my first microphone, I neglected to pick up a phantom power supply for it. So I called Radio Shack to see if they had one. "A what? Uh, hold on..." was the answer I got from not one but three different employees in three different stores.

So I called the local small music store. They knew exactly what I was talking about: a 55$ price gouge sale!

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/08 at 9:16 pm

Who?? What??

C'mon Howard.  Don't be like that :D

Written By: Tia on 04/22/08 at 10:16 am

C'mon Howard.  Don't be like that :D
how? like who?

Written By: Paul on 04/22/08 at 1:52 pm

They used to be commonplace in Britain too at one point, although they were named Tandy...

I presume the entire franchise must have collapsed, because they more or less vanished off the face of the high street in the blink of an eye!

MTA - after a bit of an online search, I find that Carphone Warehouse bought the UK operation out...

Check for new replies or respond here...