inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Haunted Malls

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/08/06 at 11:29 am

Though I'd start the first topic here...

Just wondering if you know of any shopping malls/strip malls which are haunted/the site of weird poltergeic activity? I heard the Ogden Mall in Utah was haunted, but am not so sure. Couldn't find much on the net. Anyone? 

Subject: Re: Haunted Malls

Written By: Dagwood on 06/08/06 at 10:17 pm

I don't know if the Ogden Mall was haunted or not.  I hung out there alot growing up and never saw anything weird, never heard any rumors, either.  Of course it is all a moot point now that it is torn down.  *heavy sigh*

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/06 at 10:21 pm

I've actually never heard of any haunted malls...but I am sure there are some out there. I have seen a few that looked like they *should* be haunted though! ;)

Written By: CeeKay on 06/09/06 at 11:06 pm

I've heard about a lot of different types of hauntings, but I've never heard of a haunted mall.  If you find some stories, I'd like to read them.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/10/06 at 1:24 am

I wonder why, though? There are so many haunted houses, amusement parks.etc...I mean there are thousands are malls in the US, at least one should be 'haunted' or 'reputedly haunted.' I do know of malls which were the scene of murders and other violent crime - apparently a girl was abducted by a group of teenage girls and strangled to death in the now derelict Dixie Square Mall in Illinois (which actually shut in 1978 after twelve years, and briefly used as a set for the movie The Blues Brothers), though I believe the girl was actually killed - in quite a horrific fashion - in a nearby apartment block.

Written By: CeeKay on 06/10/06 at 9:03 am

I wonder why, though? There are so many haunted houses, amusement parks.etc...I mean there are thousands are malls in the US, at least one should be 'haunted' or 'reputedly haunted.' I do know of malls which were the scene of murders and other violent crime - apparently a girl was abducted by a group of teenage girls and strangled to death in the now derelict Dixie Square Mall in Illinois (which actually shut in 1978 after twelve years, and briefly used as a set for the movie The Blues Brothers), though I believe the girl was actually killed - in quite a horrific fashion - in a nearby apartment block.

I wonder if souls choose their place of haunting.  Perhaps malls don't have enough spirit overall.  lol.  I'm kidding.  It's an interesting question.  Your story of the Dixie mall is pretty spooky.  Maybe not enough people get to be in malls at night, when it's quiet and the crowds have gone home.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/10/06 at 11:53 am

I wonder if souls choose their place of haunting.  Perhaps malls don't have enough spirit overall.  lol.  I'm kidding.  It's an interesting question.  Your story of the Dixie mall is pretty spooky.  Maybe not enough people get to be in malls at night, when it's quiet and the crowds have gone home.

Yeah, haven't you ever had the fantasy of just wandering a mall when all the crowds have left, and everything is still, quiet. All of those mannequins suddenly take on a life of their own...

Written By: JohnDenver on 06/10/06 at 1:38 pm

As far as I am concerned, all malls are haunted. Not by ghosts, but by idiotic, society-zombefied people.

Okay, I'll shut up now  :-X

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/10/06 at 2:41 pm

As far as I am concerned, all malls are haunted. Not by ghosts, but by idiotic, society-zombefied people.

;D Ah, Denver, it's good to have you on the forum.

Written By: Tia on 06/10/06 at 4:19 pm

how do we know it's really denver, though, and not some zombified replacement we're meant to BELIEVE is denver?

anyway, i have a feeling there aren't many/any haunted malls because they're engineered to only last about 50 years. things have to have a history to become haunted and mallls are designed not to have a history.

just a theory.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/11/06 at 4:54 am

how do we know it's really denver, though, and not some zombified replacement we're meant to BELIEVE is denver?

anyway, i have a feeling there aren't many/any haunted malls because they're engineered to only last about 50 years. things have to have a history to become haunted and mallls are designed not to have a history.

just a theory.

Yeah, I guess with the oldest 'true' shopping mall (Southdale Mall in Edina, Minnesota) being barely 50 years old, few malls would have the 'history', yet on the same note Disneyland, which opened in 1955, is supposed to be haunted by many spirits (mainly of people who have died on the rides). Then again, also, not many people do die in shopping malls (although it happens, mainly in abandoned shopping malls, which can be very creepy).

Written By: CeeKay on 06/11/06 at 9:12 am

Yeah, haven't you ever had the fantasy of just wandering a mall when all the crowds have left, and everything is still, quiet. All of those mannequins suddenly take on a life of their own...

Actually, yes, I have.  I think a mall would be an eerie place to spend a night alone.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/11/06 at 9:16 am

Actually, yes, I have.  I think a mall would be an eerie place to spend a night alone.

Actually in last month's Malls of America blogspot entry there was a very interesting animated film from the 70s (with alot of primitive special effects) of a mall which literally 'comes to life' after the doors shut and the lights go out.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/11/06 at 9:23 am

;D  Yeah I agree, all staring right ahead with no spacial awareness to speak of.  ::)

Umm I doubt very much any shopping malls here in the UK would be haunted - most were built in the past 30 years or so. The only haunting connection would be the haunted look on peoples mugs as the dash from shop to shop.

Written By: Gis on 06/11/06 at 1:16 pm

My friend used to work at Virgin in Disney Orlando which hasn't been open for than about ten years. It was haunted by the ghost of a construction worker who fell to his death there. He used to be seen walking along the corridor where the offices were.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/11/06 at 3:31 pm

just a theory.

I understand your logic, however a lot of dead malls are left to rot and things do happen in them. Some of the malls featured at the DeadMalls do have a history of violence, especially if they were shutdown due to crime. Dixie Square Mall is a good example. 

Written By: Tia on 06/11/06 at 8:40 pm

I understand your logic, however a lot of dead malls are left to rot and things do happen in them. Some of the malls featured at the DeadMalls do have a history of violence, especially if they were shutdown due to crime. Dixie Square Mall is a good example. 
doesn't dead malls kick a?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 12:21 pm

Yeah, I love retro malls and websites on them. It's a pity all the shopping malls around here are so vibrant and full of people...lol  ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/12/06 at 9:08 pm

The next time you're in Toronto or Montreal, wander their "underground cities" after rush hour. The tunnels connecting the skyscrapers of the business districts in both of these cities have been turned into shopping space.  After rush hour, the stores roll up their windows, but the tunnels remain open for officeworkers who are working late -- you can walk for miles (literally!) and see maybe four or five people in an hour.  Short of being a property developer or security guard, it's as close as you'll ever get to being able to stroll through your own private  mall after-hours.

Because it has to support late-night commuters, and has connections to both the subway system and a hotel, some  areas are open 24 hours a day, or very close to it.  Cameras cover every square foot of hallway, and there are so few escape routes that  guards don't even need to be visibly present to keep the bad guys away:  it's as safe at midnight as it as at noon.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 9:58 pm

The next time you're in Toronto or Montreal, wander their "underground cities" after rush hour. The tunnels connecting the skyscrapers of the business districts in both of these cities have been turned into shopping space.  After rush hour, the stores roll up their windows, but the tunnels remain open for officeworkers who are working late -- you can walk for miles (literally!) and see maybe four or five people in an hour.  Short of being a property developer or security guard, it's as close as you'll ever get to being able to stroll through your own private  mall after-hours.

Because it has to support late-night commuters, and has connections to both the subway system and a hotel, some  areas are open 24 hours a day, or very close to it.  Cameras cover every square foot of hallway, and there are so few escape routes that  guards don't even need to be visibly present to keep the bad guys away:  it's as safe at midnight as it as at noon.

Hear I heard about those 'underground cities' - considering the harsh climate, it's a very good idea. I'll be sure to visit them next time I go to Canada.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/13/06 at 12:41 pm

Yep!  :)  I've spent hours looking at that site, although I do get a sense of melencholy going through there. It's kinda of a graveyard of 80's culture. However I feel good to know that the malls that I shopped at are still running strong.

Written By: JohnDenver on 06/14/06 at 6:36 pm

Yeah, I love retro malls and websites on them. It's a pity all the shopping malls around here are so vibrant and full of people...lol  ;)

Yeah, people seriously ruin malls... Does anyone want to help me try to get a "mall preserve" created to preserve the delicate natural balance that is the mall environment? Think how many endangered species of clothes from the 60s we could save if we had federal funding!!!

Written By: Watcher29 on 06/16/06 at 2:54 pm

I've heard various rumors about a Toys R Us in Sunnyvale California that is supposed to be haunted by the ghost of a ranch hand who used to work on the ranch that was on the site where the store is now. Never been there myself, but I remember that it is quite famous, and was, I think, even featured in an episode of "Unsolved Mysteries" dealing with ghosts.

Written By: pia on 01/04/12 at 1:35 pm

A haunted Mall (thinking ::)
Now that will be cool to have one in Denmark!! :)

Are there Malls been reported as haunted ? :)

Written By: pia on 01/04/12 at 2:44 pm

Never mind, found one  :-)

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 02/04/12 at 12:04 am

Supossedly our lame Jefferson Mall is haunted near the main bathrooms at anytime of the day you can hear loud screams. I've never heard any and don't know when the last haunting was heard.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/12 at 6:46 am

Supossedly our lame Jefferson Mall is haunted near the main bathrooms at anytime of the day you can hear loud screams. I've never heard any and don't know when the last haunting was heard.

Why loud screams?

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 11/07/12 at 1:53 am

I have no clue. Maybe it has to do with a crime that happened there, or something that was there first. I never looked it up. I might now, cause im bored on the web.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/12 at 12:12 am

Why loud screams?

Because nobody can hear the quiet ones.
:)

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 02/11/13 at 1:56 am

It had to do with the death of a little boy in the main bathrooms near the office. There are mixed stories if its real or not but there is something else there that there actually is proof of, shadow people or something. Jefferson Mall in Louisville Ky.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/07/13 at 5:50 pm

It had to do with the death of a little boy in the main bathrooms near the office. There are mixed stories if its real or not but there is something else there that there actually is proof of, shadow people or something. Jefferson Mall in Louisville Ky.

I dunno, I grew up in an old farmhouse.  It was the kind of place you'd expect to be haunted, and we debate on whether or not it was haunted.  But it seems to me shopping malls have not the structural integrity nor the familiarity of an old house, so they don't have they're not qualified to be "haunted." 

Here's what you do, you go up to the dead mall on late Saturday night.  You get creeped out by something.  You take blurry pictures.  Then you say, OMG, what's that in my blurry picture.  Then the Dead Mall is born!
8)

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 09/20/13 at 2:45 pm

anything can be haunted. how many people have lived on these lands over the years, theres not a single square foot of dirt at least someone at snome time hasnt died on.

Written By: valleyroads on 10/04/13 at 4:02 am

Dixie Square was cool but haunting. The pics of the aftermath of Raymond Eaves' early 90s murders in the old JCPenney children's clothing section that IIRC were (are?) on sites like Documenting Reality and Ogrish were scary. Picture a decaying nightmare of pastel colors and logos like Garanimals and Oshkosh B'Gosh on the walls, that were taped off with crime-scene tape and had body outlines on the moldy linoleum floors... there you have it. I was put off of Dixie Square for months after seeing those. Then you have the 1974 murder mentioned in the 2006 posts and the myriad alcohol poisoning & drug overdose deaths of homeless people, along with the arson fires...

The old Kmart (closed in the early 2000s, now the Kendall Auto Mall) in Eugene, Oregon was reportedly haunted.

Written By: MissLori79 on 08/21/14 at 12:09 pm

Though I'd start the first topic here...

Just wondering if you know of any shopping malls/strip malls which are haunted/the site of weird poltergeic activity? I heard the Ogden Mall in Utah was haunted, but am not so sure. Couldn't find much on the net. Anyone?

Not sure about Malls, but there is allegedly a Toys R Us store in California that's spposedly haunted...

Written By: Howard on 08/21/14 at 1:53 pm

Not sure about Malls, but there is allegedly a Toys R Us store in California that's spposedly haunted...

How is it haunted? :o

Written By: MissLori79 on 08/21/14 at 3:27 pm

How is it haunted? :o

Legend has it that it is haunted by the ghost of a farmer who lived on the land the Toys R Us is built on. It's in Sunnyvale or Sunnydale California. There is allegedly a pic of the 'ghost' on various ghost websites (I will see if I can link it).

Written By: Starlighter on 06/16/16 at 6:16 pm

Legend has it that it is haunted by the ghost of a farmer who lived on the land the Toys R Us is built on. It's in Sunnyvale or Sunnydale California. There is allegedly a pic of the 'ghost' on various ghost websites (I will see if I can link it).

They talked about this on the t.v. show "That's Incredible" in the 80's.

EJkYMThboTc

Written By: 80sfan on 07/08/16 at 3:42 pm

Haunted malls. Never heard of such a thing!

Written By: eeveecandy on 03/28/17 at 2:53 pm

I love the idea of more modern "urban" settings being the basis for ghosts/paranormal activity. Given the influx of dead shopping centers all over the USA, I have often wondered this myself.

Before it was demolished, I had heard that Dixie Square Mall in Harvey, IL had some strange happenings going on inside...

Written By: 80sfan on 06/04/17 at 12:26 am

I love the idea of more modern "urban" settings being the basis for ghosts/paranormal activity. Given the influx of dead shopping centers all over the USA, I have often wondered this myself.

Before it was demolished, I had heard that Dixie Square Mall in Harvey, IL had some strange happenings going on inside...

At least with a mall, it's a big place. Lots of hiding places. So I wouldn't feel so vulnerable, unlike in a small, or even a medium sized, house.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/13/17 at 12:19 am

Wherever life happened it's possible, if you believe that. I prefer haunted settings to be places like theaters, abandoned hospitals, big old houses, and hotels. It's just a cooler atmosphere for it, especially for urban explorers. Not that I am one, wouldn't want to chance it. I do enjoy cemetery photography, but those are said to be the least likely places for anything to stick around.

Check for new replies or respond here...