inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Haunted Insane Asylums

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/06 at 11:49 am

Have any of you been to or toured an old abandoned insane asylum that was noted to be haunted?  I know there are several around (including a popular one that Beth adores, called Dixmont *which was unfortunately torn down to make way for another Walmart ::)*.  There is one in Ohio that gives tours...and there are others that are basically, "enter at your own risk". Have any of you had any experiences with this sort of thing?

Subject: Re: Haunted Insane Asylums

Written By: Gis on 06/08/06 at 12:30 pm

I haven't been to one as such but there was one just outside of Oxford that closed about 10 years ago. Apparently it still had the old padded cells and everything though they hadn't been used for years. They finally turned it into expensive apartments but it didn't sell for years and only then at a stupidly low price. They are having great difficultly selling the apartments. 

One of my friend's Mum's worked there when he was a kid and he went to work with her a few times. He always remembers helping her with one of the old ladies. He held up her cardigan for her and she stepped into it forward because she was so used to being put into a straitjacket ! 

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/08/06 at 1:22 pm

I was going to make a trip out to Dixmont this summer. Unfortunately, it was torn down in December.

http://www.ohiotrespassers.com/dixmont.html

My next obssession was the Fairmont Childrens Home, which was closed in the 70s. It was an insane asylum for well, Children, obviously.
It was then destroyed by fire in December. Lovely.

http://www.ohiotrespassers.com/fair.html

NOW the latest obsessions are Mary Stockum's grave, Moundsville Penitentiary, and the Lima Tuberculosis Hospital.

http://www.ohiotrespassers.com/coshocton/mary.html
http://www.ohiotrespassers.com/mound.html
http://www.ohiotrespassers.com/lima.html

If those get ruined, I'l literally go postal on every human that I cross paths with  :)

Also, It's going to be awesome, because when Andrew (Tubeway General) graduates, we're going to visit one of the haunted Insane Asylums and spend the night. Can't wait.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/06 at 7:11 pm

I was going to make a trip out to Dixmont this summer. Unfortunately, it was torn down in December.

http://www.ohiotrespassers.com/dixmont.html

My next obssession was the Fairmont Childrens Home, which was closed in the 70s. It was an insane asylum for well, Children, obviously.
It was then destroyed by fire in December. Lovely.

http://www.ohiotrespassers.com/fair.html

NOW the latest obsessions are Mary Stockum's grave, Moundsville Penitentiary, and the Lima Tuberculosis Hospital.

http://www.ohiotrespassers.com/coshocton/mary.html
http://www.ohiotrespassers.com/mound.html
http://www.ohiotrespassers.com/lima.html

If those get ruined, I'l literally go postal on every human that I cross paths with  :)

Also, It's going to be awesome, because when Andrew (Tubeway General) graduates, we're going to visit one of the haunted Insane Asylums and spend the night. Can't wait.

It sucks so bad when things of this nature destroy those kinds of places.  It's like you want to hurry up and visit all of them before they decide to tear them down, or nature takes it's course on them.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/08/06 at 8:32 pm

Greystone Park Insane Asylum in Morris Plains, NJ is said to contain the ghost of
Woody Guthrie. Woody Guthrie was committed to Greystone on may 29,1956.
He spent the rest of his life there and died of Huntington's disease in 1967.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/06 at 8:39 pm

Greystone Park Insane Asylum in Morris Plains, NJ is said to contain the ghost of
Woody Guthrie. Woody Guthrie was committed to Greystone on may 29,1956.
He spent the rest of his life there and died of Huntington's disease in 1967.

ooooh..sounds neato...do you live near there?

Written By: loki 13 on 06/08/06 at 8:49 pm

ooooh..sounds neato...do you live near there?

No, not really, it's in North Jersey. That's James neck of the woods.

I'm actually closer to the one in Bustleton, PA but I just can't remember
the name of the asylum.

The other supposed haunted asylums near me are in Lakeland and Ancora.

I mentioned the one up north because of a celebrity in Woody Guthrie.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/06 at 9:11 pm

No, not really, it's in North Jersey. That's James neck of the woods.

I'm actually closer to the one in Bustleton, PA but I just can't remember
the name of the asylum.

The other supposed haunted asylums near me are in Lakeland and Ancora.

I mentioned the one up north because of a celebrity in Woody Guthrie.

have you ever thought about exploring any of them?

Written By: loki 13 on 06/08/06 at 9:16 pm

have you ever thought about exploring any of them?

Absolutely! just haven't the time. I have magazines called Weird NJ, they tell
where all the haunted asylums, houses, theaters, roads, etc. are located. I
would love to explore them, but alas, no time.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/06 at 9:24 pm

Absolutely! just haven't the time. I have magazines called Weird NJ, they tell
where all the haunted asylums, houses, theaters, roads, etc. are located. I
would love to explore them, but alas, no time.

I hear ya! I would love to do that kind of stuff as well. There are a lot of neat places like that in Pa. too.  My sis has a book that tells about about "strange Pennsylvania".

Written By: Gis on 06/09/06 at 6:46 am

I don't mean to be rude but you seem to have a lot of asylums in America !

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/09/06 at 10:50 am

I don't mean to be rude but you seem to have a lot of asylums in America !

I know! Isn't it wonderful..?! ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/09/06 at 11:39 am

I know! Isn't it wonderful..?! ;D

... My grandma lives in a senior center filled with the mentally unstable... They aren't insane, and it's bad enough! I'd be afraid of an actual insane asylum!

Written By: Matthias on 06/09/06 at 3:50 pm

There's an Rec-center in Broadview Hts. that just to be a mental hospital, and now is haunted!!!!
Bwa, ha, ha!!!

Written By: JohnDenver on 06/10/06 at 1:29 pm

Okay, you do that... Sicko! XD

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/10/06 at 2:39 pm

Okay, you do that... Sicko! XD

C'mon! You have to admit that'd be awesome. We were going to go to the Dixmont one.. but, yanno.*Mumbles under breath about the evil that is Wal*mart*

I think the one we might be going to is in Kentucky, or something... unless someone decided to burn it down within the next 2 years.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/10/06 at 3:15 pm

We have a few in New Jersey. There was one up the street from us, an "Abandoned Sanitarium" that was torn down. It started life as a tuberculosis hospital, then became a mental asylum at the end. Here's a quote about it:

The sanitarium, or "The Bin" as we used to call it was a mental hospital in Caldwell. According to the information I have gathered, it was closed down in the early seventies. I learned about it sometime in '88. A friend of mine took me up there and for some strange reason I was drawn to the place after that. I used to go up there with several different people on many occasions until moving out of the state. There was one main building, the largest one, which we used to climb to the roof of. From up there, you could see the rest of the network of buildings and a good view of the New York skyline. There were about seven buildings all together. We spent many hours exploring the hallways, stairwells, and rooms in the buildings.

The whole place had an eerie feel to it, to say the least. But there was one building in particular that had an evil air surrounding it. I think it was a caretaker

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/12/06 at 11:13 pm

C'mon! You have to admit that'd be awesome. We were going to go to the Dixmont one.. but, yanno.*Mumbles under breath about the evil that is Wal*mart*

I think the one we might be going to is in Kentucky, or something... unless someone decided to burn it down within the next 2 years.

Do you mean Waverly Hills?  It's located in Ky. it was a hospital that treated "The White Plague" (tuberculosis). 

Creepy place, Ghost Hunters filmed an episode there. 

Written By: JohnDenver on 06/14/06 at 6:44 pm

Okay, Wal*Mart may be evil beyond all reason... But just imagine what a haunted Wal*Mart would be like!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/14/06 at 7:05 pm

Okay, Wal*Mart may be evil beyond all reason... But just imagine what a haunted Wal*Mart would be like!

Just for that, I hope the ghosts have their wrath on Sam Walton.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/15/06 at 10:34 am

It would be fun to spend the night in an abandoned department store...

Written By: JohnDenver on 06/17/06 at 9:49 am

It would be fun to spend the night in an abandoned department store...

Still, I think that a haunted asylum is the ultimate... If only they weren't becoming so rare...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/17/06 at 1:59 pm

Supposedly there's one here in North Georgia; I believe it's called Brook Run.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/18/06 at 9:36 am

hahahaaa.....too funny!! ;D

Written By: JohnDenver on 06/29/06 at 5:24 pm

Ironic you should say that, since Sam Walton himself said that he would haunt his descendents if they didn't follow the original Wal*Mart principles (which they haven't)...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/30/06 at 10:42 am

Ironic you should say that, since Sam Walton himself said that he would haunt his descendents if they didn't follow the original Wal*Mart principles (which they haven't)...

hehehe..hopefully he follows through with his promise! ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/30/06 at 9:07 pm

It sucks that a bunch of us don't live closer...we could start a little paranormal/defunct places society and explore stuff! :-\\

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/30/06 at 9:12 pm

It sucks that a bunch of us don't live closer...we could start a little paranormal/defunct places society and explore stuff! :-\\

:\'( That would be beautiful.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/30/06 at 9:13 pm

:\'( That would be beautiful.

We should join that one paranormal society..that would rock! ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/03/06 at 9:09 pm

Which one? I am... A tad skeptical of most paranormal societies, since they tend to attract people with agendas other than actually having fun and finding out what is really going on.

It's a group called, "PRO (Pennsylvania Researchers Organization)". I found out about it through a girl that I talk to on myspace.  Here's their website: www.paresearchers.com.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/06 at 8:41 am

Okay, that doesn't look bad at all. This ectoplasm and orb phenomenon really interests me...

ya, I guess she said that they are always looking for members...so, I dunno...maybe it will be something that some of us Pa people could check into! ;)

Written By: Gis on 07/05/06 at 10:22 am

Bags I get to be the one who screams all the time !! I must confess to being very jumpy... 

Written By: spaceace on 10/14/06 at 8:05 pm

Wernersville State Hospital in Wernersville PA is haunted.  There is an unmarked cemetery and an abandon building on the grounds.  I know someone who was up there and she said there is a lady that walks around the grounds with a doll.  (she died like 90 years ago)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/14/06 at 10:46 pm

Wernersville State Hospital in Wernersville PA is haunted.  There is an unmarked cemetery and an abandon building on the grounds.  I know someone who was up there and she said there is a lady that walks around the grounds with a doll.  (she died like 90 years ago)

is it still there or have they torn it down?  Where exactly is Wernersville?

Written By: spaceace on 10/15/06 at 1:39 pm

They haven't torn it down.  Wernersville is right outside of Reading PA. (Berks County)  It's still used as a pych hospital.  I used to work in the mental health field and went up there a lot.  If you go ask some of the older patients about the headless orderly. ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/15/06 at 9:39 pm

They haven't torn it down.  Wernersville is right outside of Reading PA. (Berks County)  It's still used as a pych hospital.  I used to work in the mental health field and went up there a lot.  If you go ask some of the older patients about the headless orderly. ;)

wow...that sounds interesting...maybe will have to take a roadtrip one of these days and check it out.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/16/06 at 9:47 am

We have a few in New Jersey.

That last story really freaked me out.  Can you imagine?  I love it!

This thread makes me think of The Blackstone Chronicles by John Saul.  If you haven't read it, I highly reccommend it.  In fact, I just might have to read it again. 

http://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Chronicles-Serial-Thriller-Complete/dp/044900192X

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/16/06 at 9:49 am

That last story really freaked me out.  Can you imagine?  I love it!

This thread makes me think of The Blackstone Chronicles by John Saul.  If you haven't read it, I highly reccommend it.  In fact, I just might have to read it again. 

http://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Chronicles-Serial-Thriller-Complete/dp/044900192X

Oh I love John Saul...he's one of my favorite authors...I've read just about everything written by him! ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/06 at 11:47 pm

A couple of years ago I was checking out all the "urban explorer" websites.  Abandoned asylums seem to be their favorite destinations.  I don't think any of them are haunted.  I may be wrong.  Ghosts may exist.  I just haven't seen the proof.

I see three things that draw the morbidly curious to the abandoned state hospitals.

1. The human mind has an instinctual fear of the unknown.  Count the mysteries of madness.  Contemplate what might have gone onin those buildings.
2. We are repulsed by decay.  These buildings are full of molds, fungi, and vegetation that overtakes uninhabited structures.  Animals sometimes find their way in the buildings and die. The smell of death sparks primal fear.  Furthermore, the buildings themselves are as great hulking carcasses.
3. I go to my old standby, "the power of suggestion."  You know these state hospitals were home to the most disturbed people in the land.  You know state hospitals were grim and hellish.  You know the patients were often abused and neglected.  These are places with histories of unfathomable misery.

Put those three together, you don't really need ghosts.  The mundane is terrifying enough!  I've never been to any of these places.  I lived right down the street from the abandoned Northampton State Hospital.  I knew people who did sneak in there.  I have no great love for asbestos fibers, rotting floors, and getting chased by security guards!  My family also lived just north of the infamous Danvers State Hospital.  That's where they filmed "Session 9."  A turkey.  I don't recommend it.  Scholars also believe the horror writer H.P. Lovecraft was inspired by the great Gothic Kirkbrid facade that loomed over Hospital Hill.  Danvers closed in 1992.  They've finally demolished all but the central Kirkbride building, which they are renovating into office and recreational space for the condo complex they are building up there.  Northampton will be demolished next year. 

I remember driving past Danvers when it was still in operation.  Just the sight of the place gave me a feeling of horror and dread!

Far and away, the abandoned asylum with the best documentation and the best stories is Philadelphia State Hospital at Byberry.  Byberry is finally being demolished after fifteen years of vacancy.  It broke the hearts of urban explorers.  It's also the death of a subculture called "Byberrians."  I've never paid a visit, but from what I can see, the Byberry campus has been pretty well trashed by partiers, vandals, and slow decay since 1990.  It's a blight on the Somerton area.  I think it's high time for Byberry to go! 

The best site for abandoned asylums I have seen is definitely opacity.us.  The guy is an excellent photographer.  His site also has a forum and allows you to comment on the pictures.  He also has the best Byberry shots.
http://www.opacity.us/site10_philadelphia_state_hospital_byberry.htm

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/19/06 at 8:27 am

A couple of years ago I was checking out all the "urban explorer" websites.  Abandoned asylums seem to be their favorite destinations.  I don't think any of them are haunted.  I may be wrong.  Ghosts may exist.  I just haven't seen the proof.

I see three things that draw the morbidly curious to the abandoned state hospitals.

1. The human mind has an instinctual fear of the unknown.  Count the mysteries of madness.  Contemplate what might have gone onin those buildings.
2. We are repulsed by decay.  These buildings are full of molds, fungi, and vegetation that overtakes uninhabited structures.  Animals sometimes find their way in the buildings and die. The smell of death sparks primal fear.  Furthermore, the buildings themselves are as great hulking carcasses.
3. I go to my old standby, "the power of suggestion."  You know these state hospitals were home to the most disturbed people in the land.  You know state hospitals were grim and hellish.  You know the patients were often abused and neglected.  These are places with histories of unfathomable misery.

Put those three together, you don't really need ghosts.  The mundane is terrifying enough!  I've never been to any of these places.  I lived right down the street from the abandoned Northampton State Hospital.  I knew people who did sneak in there.  I have no great love for asbestos fibers, rotting floors, and getting chased by security guards!  My family also lived just north of the infamous Danvers State Hospital.  That's where they filmed "Session 9."  A turkey.  I don't recommend it.  Scholars also believe the horror writer H.P. Lovecraft was inspired by the great Gothic Kirkbrid facade that loomed over Hospital Hill.  Danvers closed in 1992.  They've finally demolished all but the central Kirkbride building, which they are renovating into office and recreational space for the condo complex they are building up there.  Northampton will be demolished next year. 

I remember driving past Danvers when it was still in operation.  Just the sight of the place gave me a feeling of horror and dread!

Far and away, the abandoned asylum with the best documentation and the best stories is Philadelphia State Hospital at Byberry.  Byberry is finally being demolished after fifteen years of vacancy.  It broke the hearts of urban explorers.  It's also the death of a subculture called "Byberrians."  I've never paid a visit, but from what I can see, the Byberry campus has been pretty well trashed by partiers, vandals, and slow decay since 1990.  It's a blight on the Somerton area.  I think it's high time for Byberry to go! 

The best site for abandoned asylums I have seen is definitely opacity.us.  The guy is an excellent photographer.  His site also has a forum and allows you to comment on the pictures.  He also has the best Byberry shots.
http://www.opacity.us/site10_philadelphia_state_hospital_byberry.htm

wow, Max..thank you for linking this site...I just spent the past hour looking at this guy's pictures...they are..amazing.  What he does...is what I would love to do...travel around and explore defunct/abandoned places...and take pictures of them.

Written By: Gis on 10/19/06 at 11:53 am

Cool site, I loved The Pines Hotel! The Byberry freaked me out it looks just like my workplace!?!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/19/06 at 12:26 pm

Wow, Maxwell, that site is awesome!  I will be looking at it for days to come...

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/19/06 at 6:05 pm

Visited the abandoned Torrance Insane Asylum this afternoon. We didn't go inside, because we didn't know if it was the right one at first, and there was a guy in a truck kinda.. circling the place. We plan on going back soon, to take pictures of the inside. Some .. CREEPY stuff has happened in this building..

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/SummerNightsAndCityLights/Torrance%20Insane%20Asylum/TorranceInsaneAsylum010.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/SummerNightsAndCityLights/Torrance%20Insane%20Asylum/TorranceInsaneAsylum009.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/SummerNightsAndCityLights/Torrance%20Insane%20Asylum/TorranceInsaneAsylum008.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/SummerNightsAndCityLights/Torrance%20Insane%20Asylum/TorranceInsaneAsylum001.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/19/06 at 7:39 pm

ya...what Beth said above...I was with her. It was sooo creepy.  As soon as we got to the town, we both got a very overwhelming sensation...like we couldn't breathe right or something. Beth stopped at the post office to mail a package, and she thought she would bring it up and ask the lady who worked there about the OLD Torrence Hospital (they had closed down the old one in the 70's and since built a newer one)...the lady was acting all creepy and claimed that there was no such thing as the OLD hospital..(when we knew that there WAS an old one).  So ya...we got some pics of the outside...and Beth and I are gonna go back and sneak in and take some inside pics...(when we don't have Vaughn with us....although he was terribly amused by the whole thing). Here are the few pics that I took today with my cam.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/rapunzel_1689/Torrence007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/rapunzel_1689/Torrence008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/rapunzel_1689/Torrence005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/rapunzel_1689/Torrence004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/rapunzel_1689/Torrence002.jpg

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/19/06 at 9:55 pm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/rapunzel_1689/Torrence004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/rapunzel_1689/Torrence002.jpg

I like those two!

XDDD And Beth told me the story today, Vaughn's been scarred for life, man.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/19/06 at 10:11 pm

I like those two!

XDDD And Beth told me the story today, Vaughn's been scarred for life, man.

it was funny....we went to my parent's house afterwards..and he was talking about it the whole time. Then, he got some paper and a pen and said, "I'm going to draw the old scary house"....he reminded me of that creepy kid on The Ring. :D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/06 at 12:28 am

As much as I love to look at the pics urban explorers take (especially the opacity.us guy), I wouldn't go.  Too hazardous.  Those placed are dark, dilapidated, and toxic.  There's a lot of nasty chemicals in the air.

A lot of the place names the Opacity guy uses are made up.  He doesn't want people drawing up travel itineraries.  If somebody sees an awesome urban exploring site on Opacity, and then goes and gets arrested, injured, or killed, he doesn't want that on his conscience.  He doesn't want a call for L.E. either if somebody spills the beans. 

Part of the U.E. credo is not to tag, steal, or wreck stuff.  The people that coated Byberry with graffiti, stole souvenirs, set fires, and smashed everything you could smash in those buildings were not the U.E. guys.  They were punk kids.  He'd like to keep that element away too.  He lists the real names of places like Byberry, Danvers, or Northampton because everybody knows about them anyway.
::)

Written By: Gis on 10/20/06 at 1:31 am

That explains it! I was wondering why some of the pictures , like the pine hotel showed places still had fixtures and fittings I would have expected to have 'vanished' a long time ago!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/20/06 at 8:55 am

That explains it! I was wondering why some of the pictures , like the pine hotel showed places still had fixtures and fittings I would have expected to have 'vanished' a long time ago!!

The Pines is one of the places that I would love to go see, before they either tear it down or renovate it (it's actually in the works, or so I've heard). It's located in the Catskill Mountains in New York.  I have seen pictures of some of the rooms there...and they look like they haven't been touched at all.  It's just sad to me whenever a place like that (20-30 years ago)....was totally booming with business...and now it's nothing but a mere skeleton of a building. :-\\

Written By: Gis on 10/20/06 at 9:19 am

The Pines is one of the places that I would love to go see, before they either tear it down or renovate it (it's actually in the works, or so I've heard). It's located in the Catskill Mountains in New York.  I have seen pictures of some of the rooms there...and they look like they haven't been touched at all.  It's just sad to me whenever a place like that (20-30 years ago)....was totally booming with business...and now it's nothing but a mere skeleton of a building. :-\\
I know I find it really sad too, I guess that is half the fascination too.It would be nice to think of it being renovated though.

Written By: Jessica on 10/20/06 at 10:18 am

If you guys do go there again, be careful. Like Max said, lots of toxic chemicals around and who knows how stable the building is.

And if you're a firm believer in the paranormal (like me), you never know what kind of bad energy is hanging around that site, especially if people were tortured and abused in there. Definitely a good idea to leave Vaughn at home. Spirits love little kids energy and zest for life. :-\\

I know I sound like a freak, but that's my feeling on it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/20/06 at 11:38 am

If you guys do go there again, be careful. Like Max said, lots of toxic chemicals around and who knows how stable the building is.

And if you're a firm believer in the paranormal (like me), you never know what kind of bad energy is hanging around that site, especially if people were tortured and abused in there. Definitely a good idea to leave Vaughn at home. Spirits love little kids energy and zest for life. :-\\

No, I agree with you Jessica...you are right..those kinds of things are not to mess with or take lightly.  Vaughn definitely was acting odd...he was saying, "Let's go home...I don't wanna be here"....so we left. We were not there too long...just about 5 minutes (enough to snap some pictures of the outside of the building). IF we go next time...it will be with a group of people (minus Vaughn)....but that is a big IF....that place just creeped the hell outta me. :o

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/20/06 at 12:52 pm

No, I agree with you Jessica...you are right..those kinds of things are not to mess with or take lightly.  Vaughn definitely was acting odd...he was saying, "Let's go home...I don't wanna be here"....so we left. We were not there too long...just about 5 minutes (enough to snap some pictures of the outside of the building). IF we go next time...it will be with a group of people (minus Vaughn)....but that is a big IF....that place just creeped the hell outta me. :o

:o If..?! I'm going with or without you..!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/20/06 at 12:52 pm

:o If..?! I'm going with or without you..!

..Aaand, I don't think I'd gather enough guts to go by myself, so you have to go back..!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/20/06 at 1:07 pm

..Aaand, I don't think I'd gather enough guts to go by myself, so you have to go back..!

I probably will...as soon as I get the nerve to again. ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/20/06 at 5:25 pm

Visited the abandoned Torrance Insane Asylum this afternoon. We didn't go inside, because we didn't know if it was the right one at first, and there was a guy in a truck kinda.. circling the place. We plan on going back soon, to take pictures of the inside. Some .. CREEPY stuff has happened in this building..

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/SummerNightsAndCityLights/Torrance%20Insane%20Asylum/TorranceInsaneAsylum008.jpg

It's actually kind of pretty - like an old house or something.  I would love to explore it! 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/20/06 at 5:38 pm

This thread reminds me of an abandoned church that some friends and I explored a couple of years ago. 

Quick background information:  when the Mormon church was founded, polygamy was not yet illegal, and so most of the members lived that lifestyle.  After it became illegal, church leaders banned the practice, which angered a lot of members.  Many groups left the church and started their own "spin off" religions. 

I have a friend that lives a few towns away, and just outside of her neighborhood is an abandoned church, I'm assuming of one of these groups.  It is this huge octagon shaped building, maybe 4 or 5 stories high.  Inside the center of the building is a gargantuan statue of the Angel Moroni - at least 3 stories high.  (This is an angel that is prevalent in the Book of Mormon, pictured below.)  There were balconies that circled the statue, and rooms off of these balconies.  The building was full of old toys, maybe from the 40's or 50's that were in pristine condition.  There were dozens of old bikes too, that looked like they were also from the 50's.  There were all sorts of huge religious paintings, books, and papers.  There were classrooms, kitchens, and living quarters - the building was massive!  I am kicking myself for not taking any pictures, because it was just incredible.  Words cannot possibly do it justice.  I've never been back - I felt REALLY creepy being inside, but I may have to drive up one of these days and take some pictures of the outside.

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/20/06 at 5:51 pm

Duuuuun worry, Beth. If worse comes to worse, you'll just have to wait until I can visit you!

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/20/06 at 5:53 pm

Even if it's not real, Vaughn may be so disturbed that he'll move on to selling crack! D=

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/20/06 at 7:08 pm

Duuuuun worry, Beth. If worse comes to worse, you'll just have to wait until I can visit you!

It'll be torn down by then..! D=

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/20/06 at 7:11 pm

It'll be torn down by then..! D=

Nuuu! Can't be!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/06 at 1:28 am

I've seen the pics of the abandoned Catskills resorts.  There are a few.  I'm not sure if it was The Pines or another one that had a moss garden emerging in the hotel lobby.  Enough moistur saturated the carpets and furnishing that various vegetation began to sprout.  It looked like something from Salvador Dali!

Oh, here it is--
http://www.opacity.us/site4_the_pines_hotel.htm#gallery2
http://www.opacity.us/image52_lobby.htm

That's one of the interesting things about abandoned buildings.  It's not like a log cabin in the woods.  Once the maintenance crew is gone and once the utilities and climate control have been shut off for a while, all kinds of funky things start to happen!

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/21/06 at 9:34 am

I've seen the pics of the abandoned Catskills resorts.  There are a few.  I'm not sure if it was The Pines or another one that had a moss garden emerging in the hotel lobby.  Enough moistur saturated the carpets and furnishing that various vegetation began to sprout.  It looked like something from Salvador Dali!

Oh, hear it is--
http://www.opacity.us/site4_the_pines_hotel.htm#gallery2
http://www.opacity.us/image52_lobby.htm

That's one of the interesting things about abandoned buildings.  It's not like a log cabin in the woods.  Once the maintenance crew is gone and once the utilities and climate control have been shut off for a while, all kinds of funky things start to happen!

Did you say "Hear it is"? As in... the Flaming Lips album? :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/06 at 8:48 pm

Did you say "Hear it is"? As in... the Flaming Lips album? :D

Indid I deed.  Then I had to go back and correct it.  I'm a bit obsessive-comulsive about that stuff!
:D

Written By: baseball on 12/08/06 at 5:45 pm

hey i know of the best haunted asylum it was filmed on MTV fear as the scariest place they went to. its on newtown Connecticut called fairfield hills. this place has tunnels under ground and also has 6 floors underneath buildings. the world famous warrens live in my hometown of Monroe ct and they visited the asylum and said it was the most frightening thing they have been to. i have been there myself they cut power to the buildings but one building u can see one light on in the attic. if you try to break in you will be caught, they have patrols everynight by both state and town cops who are heavily armed and you will get arrested for trespassing.

Written By: yoidy on 02/02/07 at 6:10 pm

I've been wanting to check out Byberry Mental Hospital in Northeast Philadelphia, but they're tearing it down now. I heard it was a popular teen hangout and bum sanctuary. Who knows what I might've found there. I did check out pictures of the place on-line, but it's nothing compared to actually being there. The place was a town in itself, as it had about a dozen separate buildings used for different functions as well as underground tunnels. I shoulda checked out that place years ago when I had the chance.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/02/07 at 7:43 pm

I've been wanting to check out Byberry Mental Hospital in Northeast Philadelphia, but they're tearing it down now. I heard it was a popular teen hangout and bum sanctuary. Who knows what I might've found there. I did check out pictures of the place on-line, but it's nothing compared to actually being there. The place was a town in itself, as it had about a dozen separate buildings used for different functions as well as underground tunnels. I shoulda checked out that place years ago when I had the chance.

Yes, I've heard and read up on this particular asylum.....it sucks that they are tearing them all down.  Have you heard of Dixmont Insane Asylum? It was in Pittsburgh...and they recently tore it down to build a friggin' Walmart....funny thing is that they keep getting mad landslides there, so now they don't think they can build it....jokes on them. :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/02/07 at 9:22 pm

Here are a couple links to a group that did an outing at a Retardation Center here in Atlanta:

http://www.geocities.com/rev_skarekroe/TheCryptids-Exploration-Center.html

http://www.geocities.com/rev_skarekroe/TheCryptids-Exploration-2Center.html

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/02/07 at 9:31 pm

Here are a couple links to a group that did an outing at a Retardation Center here in Atlanta:

http://www.geocities.com/rev_skarekroe/TheCryptids-Exploration-Center.html

http://www.geocities.com/rev_skarekroe/TheCryptids-Exploration-2Center.html

those are some great pictures!

Written By: adagio on 02/11/07 at 7:43 am

Has anyone seen "The Bell Witch Haunting"?  It's not only a movie, but happens to be true in real life. The house is right here in Tennessee.
http://www.bellwitch.org/story.htm

There is another place that's not on maps that a friend, her son, and I went to here in Knoxville, Tn.
Neighbors just called it "The Asylum".  We had to run across a field, hoping we wouldn't get shot.  Then we got to this old place...an asylum of sorts.  It's also said that it also housed Confederate soldiers during the Civil War. As we went upstairs, even though there was no furniture, just bars where they kept insane people that has been, we heard voices and a desk being scraped on the cement, we all stopped and looked at each other and continued to the top.  There was nothing there, just cement.
There was also a tree outside the window where people used to hang themselves.

Us spend the night?  No way!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/11/07 at 10:21 pm

Has anyone seen "The Bell Witch Haunting"?  It's not only a movie, but happens to be true in real life. The house is right here in Tennessee.
http://www.bellwitch.org/story.htm

There is another place that's not on maps that a friend, her son, and I went to here in Knoxville, Tn.
Neighbors just called it "The Asylum".  We had to run across a field, hoping we wouldn't get shot.  Then we got to this old place...an asylum of sorts.  It's also said that it also housed Confederate soldiers during the Civil War. As we went upstairs, even though there was no furniture, just bars where they kept insane people that has been, we heard voices and a desk being scraped on the cement, we all stopped and looked at each other and continued to the top.  There was nothing there, just cement.
There was also a tree outside the window where people used to hang themselves.

Us spend the night?  No way!

wow, that sounds majorly spooky! :o

Written By: adagio on 02/12/07 at 8:17 am

There are  other places nearby, like a farm I used to have that are like that and places I wish to visit...this area seems a little backwoods superstion and ripe for that stuff.

Written By: RetroSunnyDays on 03/16/07 at 5:29 am

Danvers State Insane Asylum.

Watch Session 9 (brilliant low budget movie) and you'll see it..
It was haunted in real life...
Sadly they pulled it down sometime last year I think and built condo's (sp?)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/16/07 at 10:04 am

Danvers State Insane Asylum.

Watch Session 9 (brilliant low budget movie) and you'll see it..
It was haunted in real life...
Sadly they pulled it down sometime last year I think and built condo's (sp?)

I hate that they tear down these great landmarks in order to make room for everyday things like..condos, and Walmarts. :-\\

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/16/07 at 10:05 am

Especially when they cancel the plans after they torn down the buildings! ^

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/16/07 at 10:18 am

Especially when they cancel the plans after they torn down the buildings! ^

oh i know...silly jerks. ::)

Written By: RetroSunnyDays on 03/16/07 at 3:22 pm

It is so silly...
I mean, I'd prefer to wonder over to an abandoned asylum and explore and take photos alot then go to any stupid Walmart clone lmfao..
We don't have Walmart in UK however, well I aint seen one lol.
But yeah, would you wish to live in a condo (if thats what a condo is...an apartment, right?) if you knew it had been built on the site where there was an asylum, which had lots of mental people, dying and was also haunted and had a massive plot of land for the graves of the passed away mental patients...wow nice, I'd really love to come home from work everynight...feeling safe!  :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/17/07 at 12:27 am

It is so silly...
I mean, I'd prefer to wonder over to an abandoned asylum and explore and take photos alot then go to any stupid Walmart clone lmfao..
We don't have Walmart in UK however, well I aint seen one lol.
But yeah, would you wish to live in a condo (if thats what a condo is...an apartment, right?) if you knew it had been built on the site where there was an asylum, which had lots of mental people, dying and was also haunted and had a massive plot of land for the graves of the passed away mental patients...wow nice, I'd really love to come home from work everynight...feeling safe!  :P

oh I know..seriously. It's almost like it's disrespectful in a way....the same way people build places over burial grounds, etc....some places just shouldn't be torn down and built upon again.

Written By: DancerxoGirl on 01/01/09 at 8:10 pm

i want to visit a asylum thats supposedly haunted. i live in jersey and i know there arent many left down south, but there are some up north. my dad gets the werid nj magazine so i read about different asylums often. i really want to go to the Waverly Hills Sanatorium in Louisville, KY. They do overnight tours that is "ghost hunting". And you get options of 4 hours or 8 hours, but you have to pay to go. I think it would be pretty cool.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/01/09 at 8:30 pm

i want to visit a asylum thats supposedly haunted. i live in jersey and i know there arent many left down south, but there are some up north. my dad gets the werid nj magazine so i read about different asylums often. i really want to go to the Waverly Hills Sanatorium in Louisville, KY. They do overnight tours that is "ghost hunting". And you get options of 4 hours or 8 hours, but you have to pay to go. I think it would be pretty cool.

Have you done the Eastern State Hospital (in Philly) tour?

Waverly Hills turned part of the sanatorium into a lodge for tourist.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/28/10 at 6:31 am

http://www.barnet.gov.uk/colney-hatch-asylum.jpg

In north London, the Colney Hatch Lunatic Asylum was closed in 1993 and the building was converted into luxury flats under the name Princess Park Manor. While much of the hospital's grounds were also sold off for building, much also remains in public hands and is accessible to anyone.

Who fancies living in these apartments when the occupants before may had not wished to be there.

Notable residents

* John Duffy, British serial killer and rapist.
    * Aaron Kosminski, a Jack the Ripper suspect.
    * Dorothy Lawrence, a woman who dressed as a man to fight on the front lines of World War I.
    * Maria Teresa Ferrari de Miramar, one of Aleister Crowley's wives.

Check for new replies or respond here...