inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tell us about your ghost stories

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/06 at 11:55 am

I know that most of us have had some sort of eerie experience to which we could most likely say that it had something to do with a supernatural spirit of some kind.

We know this family that lived in a haunted house. They would see ghosts running up and down the stairs, their kitchen cupboards would open and slam, and on Christmas morning...their children's toys would start up by themselves. How freaky is that?

What are your experiences?

Subject: Re: Tell us about your ghost stories

Written By: Gis on 06/08/06 at 12:14 pm

Well I've posted my spooky experiences two or three times before on these boards so I won't go into it again in detail.Surfice to say I have heard footsteps going down the stairs in front of me when there was noone there and also had a figure disappear in front of my eyes which bizarrely was less scarey than the footsteps !?!

Our work place is meant to be haunted. In my department part of one of our underground floors was the cellar of an old pub that was pulled down to build the new library in 1935. A cellar man was meant to have died down there and haunt it. I have certainly had the experience of feeling like you are being watched and just catching a movement out of the corner of my eye then looking round and there is nothing there.
There is also meant to be the ghost of a little boy in the old library.
The weirdest thing I've ever experienced at work though, really is strange. When I first started working here they used to have all the occult books together in one section and I hated going there. Those bookshelves had the most horrible atmosphere around them, even the most hardened sceptics said the same, it was very bizarre. They have now split them up into different sections and there is no longer a problem. It's weird to think of books causing a feeling like that.   

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/08/06 at 12:26 pm

Weird about the books.^

I honestly don't have any experiences myself.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/06 at 12:42 pm

Well I've posted my spooky experiences two or three times before on these boards so I won't go into it again in detail.Surfice to say I have heard footsteps going down the stairs in front of me when there was noone there and also had a figure disappear in front of my eyes which bizarrely was less scarey than the footsteps !?!

Our work place is meant to be haunted. In my department part of one of our underground floors was the cellar of an old pub that was pulled down to build the new library in 1935. A cellar man was meant to have died down there and haunt it. I have certainly had the experience of feeling like you are being watched and just catching a movement out of the corner of my eye then looking round and there is nothing there.
There is also meant to be the ghost of a little boy in the old library.
The weirdest thing I've ever experienced at work though, really is strange. When I first started working here they used to have all the occult books together in one section and I hated going there. Those bookshelves had the most horrible atmosphere around them, even the most hardened sceptics said the same, it was very bizarre. They have now split them up into different sections and there is no longer a problem. It's weird to think of books causing a feeling like that.   

that's fascinating stuff, Gis! ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/08/06 at 12:44 pm

For those of you who want to know if there is an entity present, get a piece of paper and a quarter (or any other kind of coin). Put the coin on the paper and draw a circle around the coin and leave it there for a few hours/days, etc. Make sure it is not in a place where it can be bumped or touched. When you go back to look at it, if the coin is no longer in the circle, something moved it-a ghost? Maybe.

Cat

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/08/06 at 12:59 pm

Words can't express how much I want to experience something, I hope for it everyday.. never happens. I think I'm -too- eager, and the ghosts are probably afraid of me. :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/06 at 1:03 pm

Words can't express how much I want to experience something, I hope for it everyday.. never happens. I think I'm -too- eager, and the ghosts are probably afraid of me. :D

haha...I can see them now, "Oh gosh....do NOT haunt that over zealous girl...whatever you do!!!" ;D

Written By: CeeKay on 06/08/06 at 1:05 pm

haha...I can see them now, "Oh gosh....do NOT haunt that over zealous girl...whatever you do!!!" ;D

;D  That's a very funny thought!  ;D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/08/06 at 1:06 pm

Yeah, I can see it.

Er, by the way, am I supposed to be moderating this board, too? Because that "beth" character isn't me.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/06 at 1:10 pm

Yeah, I can see it.

Er, by the way, am I supposed to be moderating this board, too? Because that "beth" character isn't me.

ooops...you might want to PM Chucky...he must have thought it was the other Beth...but yes, it's supposed to be you! :)

Written By: CeeKay on 06/08/06 at 1:16 pm

When I was a kid, I once woke up in the night for whatever reason, wanted to go into my parent's room for some comfort.  So my room was at one end of the hallway and theirs at the opposite end.  I was walking down the hallway and looked up and there, in the doorway to my parents' room, was a tall lady in a nightgown.

I was little, and scared, but I decided to just close my eyes and walk through the door.  When I got into the room, I looked at my mom, sleeping in her bed, and she had a wrinkled face, like a very old woman.  :o

I screamed.  Which woke my parents.  And they let me sleep the rest of the night with them. :)

That's my only real ghost experience, but it was enough to convince me that there's more to things than what we see by day..... :D

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/06 at 1:24 pm

Many years ago, as I was out in my backyard late at night, I noticed that coming from the bathroom window, it appeared as though someone was holding the curtains at an angle.  I was convinced that it was the moonlight's reflection, but I could see that the curtains were in fact raised to a small angle.  I tried to convince myself that still it was the moonlight, but as I got closer and closer, the curtains were infact raised.  As I fixed my stare on it, suddenly, the curtain fell.  I was the only one home at the time, so I bolted in the door, ran upstairs, but nothing was there. 

On another unrelated story, often at tiems I would hear noices in my house.  My basement was quite junky, and full of boxes, and sometimes I would hear those boxes rattle as though someone was throwing them around.  Countless times I would go to investigate, but I never found anything

Written By: gemini on 06/08/06 at 4:48 pm

Oh, I put my story in the "Do you believe in paranormal" thread.  :-[ 

Written By: loki 13 on 06/08/06 at 9:29 pm

This is more of an anecdote.

When I was a teen I used to visit my Aunt quite often. My cousin was a few years
younger than me but we were close.My Aunt always told me she heard footsteps
at night and the sound of doors closing. She said it really frightened her and she
was thinking about moving. My Aunt was not the sharpest knife in the drawer so
I thaught she was pulling my leg. One night when I was there, sure enough, the
sound of footsteps running up and down the stairs and doors opening and closing
could clearly be heard. My aunt was terrified.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that it was a rowhouse, townhose as it's called now.
The footsteps she heard was the neighbors kids running up the steps.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/08/06 at 9:34 pm

I posted this link in"Before the 1970's" but it seems better suited here.
Is this Jim Morrison's ghost.

http://www.rockandrollbadboy.com/hollywood_diaries/ghost_of_jim_morrison/

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/08/06 at 9:49 pm

I didn't have the heart to tell her that it was a rowhouse, townhose as it's called now.
The footsteps she heard was the neighbors kids running up the steps.

that is hilarious....ya let the old girl keep thinking that she was being tormented by ghosts! LOLOLOL!! ;D :D ;D

Written By: JohnDenver on 06/10/06 at 2:00 pm

Or maybe ghosts have an agenda, and they don't want to waste their time on those whoe expect to see them...

(Why is everything a conspiracy with me?)

Subject: St. Augustine Ghosts

Written By: Dave Zeman on 10/10/06 at 7:03 pm

We had a great time listening and feeling the vibes from the documented stories from the streets of St. Augustine Florida... my scarey experience was no one from their tourist sites would give me the time of day... are they real?  Maybe they are aliens?  or worse French people still ticked they lost the fort?

Ghosts of St. Augustine by Dave Schipper

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/11/06 at 12:15 am

Great stories everyone!  I will admit, I looked over my shoulder a couple of times while reading them...  :-\\

Written By: Jessica on 10/11/06 at 9:18 am

I originally posted this on November 01, 2002.

I need to tell everyone what happened to me this morning. I have a bookshelf right next to my bed, and I put my glasses on there before I go to sleep at night. Okay, so last night I did that like normal and went to bed. This morning, I got up, walked around the foot of my bed (which is like 5 feet away from my shelf), and stepped on my glasses. But that's not all...when I walked around the other side of my bed to get my phone, my journal was on the floor and the ribbon that I use to keep my place was laying about a foot away from the journal. I know I put that ribbon in there last night after I wrote in it. Then the door in my room that leads out to the garage was unlocked. I check every night to make sure that the door is locked, and it was definitely locked last night! So what does everyone think? This is downright creepy. I know I'm not crazy, but this is making me feel like I am! :o

This happened when I lived in California. I had switched bedrooms with my sister the previous year because SHE had been seeing things in there, including a ghost, in FULL DAYLIGHT, while everyone was home and in the living room. I remember that because she was screaming her head off and it took us an hour to get her calmed down. :-\\

Written By: joedeertae on 10/11/06 at 9:58 am

There was this one time, in band camp.....  uhhhh, wrong story.

There was this house that a bunch of us used to hang out/party at and one day we were sitting around  doing nothing in particular (  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/drunken_smilie.gif  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/drinka.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/anim-jjd.gif ) when all of a sudden the front door opens and closes, the TV cuts off, a Bible that was on the TV flew off the TV onto the floor then the door to the dinning room opens and closes and then you hear the door from the dinning room to the kitchen slam closed and then the back door out of the kitchen slams closed! It got DAM quiet for about a few seconds and all of a sudden the TV kicks back on at high volume and we all jump. There were 5 of us and we all saw/heard it. A couple of weeks earlier there had been some of our friends there with a Ouija board trying to "talk" to ghosts. I moved out and got my on place!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/11/06 at 11:57 am

I originally posted this on November 01, 2002.

I need to tell everyone what happened to me this morning. I have a bookshelf right next to my bed, and I put my glasses on there before I go to sleep at night. Okay, so last night I did that like normal and went to bed. This morning, I got up, walked around the foot of my bed (which is like 5 feet away from my shelf), and stepped on my glasses. But that's not all...when I walked around the other side of my bed to get my phone, my journal was on the floor and the ribbon that I use to keep my place was laying about a foot away from the journal. I know I put that ribbon in there last night after I wrote in it. Then the door in my room that leads out to the garage was unlocked. I check every night to make sure that the door is locked, and it was definitely locked last night! So what does everyone think? This is downright creepy. I know I'm not crazy, but this is making me feel like I am! :o

This happened when I lived in California. I had switched bedrooms with my sister the previous year because SHE had been seeing things in there, including a ghost, in FULL DAYLIGHT, while everyone was home and in the living room. I remember that because she was screaming her head off and it took us an hour to get her calmed down. :-\\

There was this one time, in band camp.....   uhhhh, wrong story.

There was this house that a bunch of us used to hang out/party at and one day we were sitting around  doing nothing in particular (  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/drunken_smilie.gif   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/drinka.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/anim-jjd.gif ) when all of a sudden the front door opens and closes, the TV cuts off, a Bible that was on the TV flew off the TV onto the floor then the door to the dinning room opens and closes and then you hear the door from the dinning room to the kitchen slam closed and then the back door out of the kitchen slams closed! It got DAM quiet for about a few seconds and all of a sudden the TV kicks back on at high volume and we all jump. There were 5 of us and we all saw/heard it. A couple of weeks earlier there had been some of our friends there with a Ouija board trying to "talk" to ghosts. I moved out and got my on place!

oh wow....those are both REALLY freaky! :o :o

Written By: Snoopygirl on 12/22/06 at 8:23 pm

Up til a few years ago my aunt lived in this old house on this mountain. It used to be an old winery that was built I think in the 1800's. It used to a part of the Gravity Railroad that was popular in our town at the turn of the century. She was always saying that her and her daughter would hear footsteps downstairs at night and think it was my uncle coming home at night from work. But when they checked, no one was there. They would put a bottle of wine on the steps at times at night and in the morning,some would be gone. When my cousin got married, her and her husband stayed living there with my aunt who just lost her husband at that time. She had two kids when this next incident occured. Her husband was in the house alone when one of the kids plastic balls hit him in the back of the head. He said that freaked him out.
My dad had an experience there that he thought was weird. He was in the living room and they have a front porch and a back porch. Well he was sitting there when he saw a man in a white shirt go past the window to the back door. My dad thought someone was coming so he called my aunt and said that someone was there. They looked out and there was no one there. They were never afraid to live there cause it never did anything to hurt them.
They moved out a few years ago and it was vacant for a while til it was sold. So I drove by one day before the new owners moved in and took some pics. When I got them developed, in the back yard next to one of the old buildings in their backyard, there was someone standing there with a white shirt and black pants. It was too far away to make out the face to see. Maybe it was the former owner from years ago I like to think. That was my only experience in her house.
My aunt went back to her old house a few weeks ago and was talking to the new owners. She told them it was haunted and they said they kind of thought it was because they said they hear things at night like footsteps walking around.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/22/06 at 8:29 pm

Up til a few years ago my aunt lived in this old house on this mountain. It used to be an old winery that was built I think in the 1800's. It used to a part of the Gravity Railroad that was popular in our town at the turn of the century. She was always saying that her and her daughter would hear footsteps downstairs at night and think it was my uncle coming home at night from work. But when they checked, no one was there. They would put a bottle of wine on the steps at times at night and in the morning,some would be gone. When my cousin got married, her and her husband stayed living there with my aunt who just lost her husband at that time. She had two kids when this next incident occured. Her husband was in the house alone when one of the kids plastic balls hit him in the back of the head. He said that freaked him out.
My dad had an experience there that he thought was weird. He was in the living room and they have a front porch and a back porch. Well he was sitting there when he saw a man in a white shirt go past the window to the back door. My dad thought someone was coming so he called my aunt and said that someone was there. They looked out and there was no one there. They were never afraid to live there cause it never did anything to hurt them.
They moved out a few years ago and it was vacant for a while til it was sold. So I drove by one day before the new owners moved in and took some pics. When I got them developed, in the back yard next to one of the old buildings in their backyard, there was someone standing there with a white shirt and black pants. It was too far away to make out the face to see. Maybe it was the former owner from years ago I like to think. That was my only experience in her house.
My aunt went back to her old house a few weeks ago and was talking to the new owners. She told them it was haunted and they said they kind of thought it was because they said they hear things at night like footsteps walking around.

oh wow....that's really awesome! Do you still have those pictures...I would love to see them sometime!! :)

Written By: Snoopygirl on 12/23/06 at 8:08 pm

oh wow....that's really awesome! Do you still have those pictures...I would love to see them sometime!! :)

Once I get another scanner, I'll see about posting them. At first I thought well maybe it was the new owner, but then I thought if that was the case why didn't he holler out why was I on his property?

Written By: KKay on 12/23/06 at 8:24 pm

you know i hate this stuff...but.

today we experienced my stereo going on spontaneously...thrree times.
hate this!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/31/06 at 1:38 pm

My sister-in-law and brother in law told us some pretty freaky stories the other night.  They've been renting a house for about a year - it's a newer house, built in the 90's and is really nice.  One afternoon, my brother-in-law was home alone, taking a nap on the couch.  He awoke to a noise but couldn't figure out what it was.  He finally realized that it was my sister-in-law's paper cutter that she uses to scrapbook, moving up and down.  He ran upstairs to see if she had come home, but there was no one there. 

Recently, they disconnected their home phone, and now use only their cell phones.  They left the phone hanging on the kitchen wall so there wouldn't be a big hole there.  It's just a normal phone - not cordless, so there's no electricity going to it or anything, and it isn't plugged in to the phone jack.  The other day it started ringing.  When my brother-in-law picked up, there was nobody there...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/01/07 at 12:59 am

My sister-in-law and brother in law told us some pretty freaky stories the other night.  They've been renting a house for about a year - it's a newer house, built in the 90's and is really nice.  One afternoon, my brother-in-law was home alone, taking a nap on the couch.  He awoke to a noise but couldn't figure out what it was.  He finally realized that it was my sister-in-law's paper cutter that she uses to scrapbook, moving up and down.  He ran upstairs to see if she had come home, but there was no one there. 

Recently, they disconnected their home phone, and now use only their cell phones.  They left the phone hanging on the kitchen wall so there wouldn't be a big whole there.  It's just a normal phone - not cordless, so there's no electricity going to it or anything, and it isn't plugged in to the phone jack.  The other day it started ringing.  When my brother-in-law picked up, there was nobody there...

whoa...that is really freaky!! :o

Check for new replies or respond here...