inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Black shadow figures

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/14/06 at 3:54 pm

When I was very little - either four or five years old - I had one of the scariest experiences of my life. The experience itself probably looks pretty mundane in writing, but I can't really do justice to the feeling of fear that it caused in me.

In short, I woke up one morning to find that I was alone in the room - at this time I still slept in the same room as my mom, though she often woke up before I did - and I felt afraid for no discernable reason. I just knew that there was a malevolent presence outside the bedroom and that it was intending to come in. (This will sound incredibly corny and cartoonish, but remember that I was a child, okay?) The evil presence that I sensed in the hallway started speaking to me from beyond the bedroom door in a very low, deep, resonant voice; I have no recollection whatsoever of what it said to me, but I do remember that it laughed at me in a very sinister way. I remember trying to mimic certain voices - I tried to talk like a witch and a ghost, etc. - in an effort to make it go away, but again I cannot recall what I said or precisely how I tried to convince it to leave. Anyway, it did come into the room despite my best efforts - it was a black silhouette and it appeared directly in front of the door (which was closed). The room wasn't too dark and I saw it distinctly in front of me, though only for a mere handful of seconds - it caused me such a shock that I reflexively shot up in bed and screamed (only time that's ever happened), but the dark figure was already gone and everything appeared to be normal.

After that I was always afraid to go to sleep at night, and for years I feared a repeat of the experience. It never happened though, and now it's just become a very distant memory. I've heard that it might have been a night terror - apparently some people regularly experience paralysis upon awakening and they see either a black figure (as in my case), an old hag, or aliens. Those are the most common manifestations, anyway. However, I only had it the one time and I don't recall being paralyzed at all. Nonetheless, I am willing to believe that it was a night terror if that's what it most likely was. Any ideas?

My friend's mom says she's had several terrifying experiences of shadow figures standing in front of her bedroom door, though they've never spoken to her.

Subject: Re: Black shadow figures

Written By: Apricot on 06/14/06 at 4:37 pm

Actually, the same thing has happened to me a few times.. it never speaks, but I totally know what you mean.. there are strange figures when I wake up from the "semi-concious" not-quite sleep.

Written By: JohnDenver on 06/14/06 at 6:27 pm

Actualy, many of the callers on Coast to Coast AM talk about seeing "shadow people" in their house at night. I've never seen one, but I want to...

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/14/06 at 9:37 pm

Actually, the same thing has happened to me a few times.. it never speaks, but I totally know what you mean.. there are strange figures when I wake up from the "semi-concious" not-quite sleep.

How often has it happened? Are the strange figures just black silhouettes without any features?

Written By: Apricot on 06/15/06 at 8:25 pm

How often has it happened? Are the strange figures just black silhouettes without any features?

Generally, it's just featureless shadows, yes.. sometimes they're much more defined, and I swear for a brief flash, they have definition and detail.. but it's so short I can hardly tell..

It tends to happen about 2 months out of the year, once every 2 weeks during that period. Usually a week or so after a period of major stress.. like, they've been appearing lately, and I just finished exams.

Written By: Gis on 06/16/06 at 12:53 pm

It might have been some kind of dream related experience but no it wasn't a night terror. I have become somewhat of an expert on these as my fiance suffers from them, and they are pretty horrible to experience as an observer. The major thing that makes your experience differ from a night terror is that when you wake up from them you are completely calm and relaxed and have absolutely no recollection of what it was that was freaking you out.

Written By: yoidy on 01/12/07 at 3:16 pm

Mine was a black shadow woman

Got a black shadow woman
Got a black shadow woman
Got a black shadow woman, got me so blind I can't see
That she's a black shadow woman
And she's trying to scare the devill out of me

Written By: Jessica on 01/12/07 at 4:47 pm

Mine was a black shadow woman

Got a black shadow woman
Got a black shadow woman
Got a black shadow woman, got me so blind I can't see
That she's a black shadow woman
And she's trying to scare the devill out of me

I thought it was "Black Magic Woman"?

Written By: Uncanny on 01/18/07 at 5:52 pm

Shadow people are freaky. They make me shudder. I think I saw one once, by my bed, I KNEW I saw somebody but nobody could have been there.

Subject: Re: Black shadow figures (hsp) hullicinatory sleep paralysis

Written By: Tim on 07/01/07 at 6:49 pm

i woke up in the middle of the night but i felt hazy and drugged. I couldnt move or talk and i found it very hard to open my eyes. There were balck silouettes of people standing in my room in the shadows, one of the figures walked over to my bed and climbed up on the bed. I cant remeber if i woke up or went back to sleep or what but i rfemember trying to scream and not being able to as i was so terrfied, i only managerd a slgiht murmer.

It was the most terryifiying thing that ive ever exprianced, so trust me you would not want to experiance one.

Written By: Patrick on 10/26/07 at 7:45 am

I wanted to comment on a similar experience I had when I was young but had a couple of distinct differences. First that I saw this thing after I had been awake for at least 30 minutes to an hour. I walked into me and my little brothers room to get a pair of socks and saw a dark shadow figure standing over his bead. It was very dark and was not transparent. It turned and glared at me. I was frozen in place, I can remember that it seemed to have red glowing eyes. After what seemed like long time ( probably just a minute or two) it turned and ran towards the wall closet and dissipated while it ran disappearing afterwards. I had an overwhelming feeling that I had interrupted something it was doing or going to do to my little brother. I can't seem to shake that image out of my head and I also have a feeling that I'll see it again. 

Written By: danootaandme on 10/30/07 at 3:57 pm

I had them as a child, haven't in quite a while.  They are called night terrors.

www.nightterrors.org/

Written By: chinar on 09/05/08 at 4:47 am

i has had a similar experience
i failed in my maths test and everyone blamed me
blaming was irresistible
then i went tot my room and tried to sleep  after some time my uncle came to give me some comfort but i pretended asleep

later when i opened my eyes i saw a Shadow like figure in front of my window actually their's a building in front of my house and the figure was on the top of it he was standing their staring at me
i tried to shift my position but still it was staring at me

then i decided to be brave and i also started staring at the figure after some time it started to disappear
it ' started to disappear in patches i.e. first the top part then the bottom then middle then the whole body

it was a very freaky experience

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/08/08 at 12:11 am

Most of these experiences sound remarkably consistent with the hallucinations that often accompany sleep paralysis

Which doesn't make it any less terrifying when it's happening, nor any less fascinating when you finally wake up.  :)

Written By: Haman on 09/10/08 at 1:52 pm

I am willing to believe that it was a night terror if that's what it most likely was. Any ideas?

My advice to you is to assume nothing. Don't dismiss it simply as a night terror, either.

If you really want to know what was taking place there, you had better engage in a serious research. That kind of research wouldn't be limited to specific sources concerning "shadow figures". It should also include a research on Mythology, History and Religion, among other fields. 

Written By: elizabeth on 05/21/09 at 1:29 am

The same thing happened to me once or twice in my late twenties.  The last time there was a black, hooded and faceless figure standing at the side of my bed.  He had a long wooden stick in his hands and was banging it on or by the side of my bed at the ground.  I believe I tried to scream help but I couldn't.  It was like it took my breath away.  The stick it was holding was supposed to signify the cross that Jesus Christ died on.  This figure did scare me.  I haven't seen one since.  I have heard about them though.  They are supposedly part of the paranormal and are called "dark shadows."  I don't know what they mean though and wish I did.  I do remember I was thinking negatively at that time but don't remember about what exactly.  My brother in law also claimed to have seen one in a time of stress.

Written By: Madd Scared on 07/10/09 at 5:05 pm

hey i kno wat yur talking about wen i was little i used to see those alot in my house i didnt kno wat it was nd no one to this day believes me but im not crazy i kno wat i saw it would stand in front of my door waiting fer me to wake up nd i would get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the nite nd it would scare me every time i was too scared to leave my room at nite. one time i was sleeping and i got up and i felt and saw something go thru me i blacked out fer a minute. then i noticed i had scratches on my arms, like all over. it was crazy.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/10/09 at 6:34 pm

hey i kno wat yur talking about wen i was little i used to see those alot in my house i didnt kno wat it was nd no one to this day believes me but im not crazy i kno wat i saw it would stand in front of my door waiting fer me to wake up nd i would get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the nite nd it would scare me every time i was too scared to leave my room at nite. one time i was sleeping and i got up and i felt and saw something go thru me i blacked out fer a minute. then i noticed i had scratches on my arms, like all over. it was crazy.

Your spelling is an atrocity. 8-P

Written By: EAViramontes07 on 08/14/09 at 1:35 am

When I was younger I used to go sleep in my parents room at the foot of their bed because I was afraid of the dark.
When I would look at any pitch black spots in the room the outline of a shadow of a man would begin to walk out of the dark and toward me.
He walked at a slow pace and had no human features besides the shape of a tall man.
I was scared out of my mind and nothing would help me.
I put the blanket over my head and he would walk through the blanket, and I couldn't shut my eyes because he walked through my eye lids until I could no longer see him and my heart was pounding with fear.
One night as he walked toward me I decided that I was done with this constant fear so as he came out of a dark corner to make his way over to me I got out of bed and walk toward him saying whispering, "I'm not afraid of you."
At the moment I reached him, he seemingly vaporized into a black mist and dissappeared.
I never saw him again.
I guess it pays to face your fears.

Written By: Layla on 10/29/09 at 1:49 pm

I have also seen the shadow figure. It was a silhouette of a man, he was standing near my door when I woke up in the middle of the night. But I wasnt afraid..then it just slid into the shadows and was gone. I went right back to sleep.

Written By: Kevin Morefield on 11/19/09 at 4:30 pm

I have had the same thing happen to me at age 5.And trust me I can still remember it to this very day 24 years later as if it was yesterday.I normaly slep in my parents room cause for some unknown reson I was afraid to sleep in my room witch was at the end of the hallway in a single wide trailor.I remember waking up and getting out of bed with my pillow.I was going to go to my parents room to sleep cause I was afraid to be by myself.My parents always left the bathroom light on witch was right at my bedroom door.So I know I was not dreaming and I know I was not seeing things what so ever.I walked to the door of my bedroom and just as I went to walk out there apeared directly in front of me was a large figure of a person.There was no features to this person.Just blackness like a shadow.I screamed in total fear and terror and at that time it disapeared in a flash as if it had straked in to the bathroom witch as I said earlyer the light was on....I ran as fast as possable to my bed not knowing where to go.I was so afraid...My mom had came in to my bedroom fearing something was bad wrong with me.Both my mom and dad heared my screams of terror.When they found me I was compleatly covered up in my sheets.I was as white as my bed spread,trimbling in total fear.My mom and dad was so worried about me.I told them that a monster was in the hallway and it went in to the bathroom behind the door.Of corse this would be a far fetched storty coming from a five year old child but......It was no story.They tried there best to drag me in to the bathroom to prove that nothing was there.I kicked and screamed refusing to go.I just wanted to stay as far away from that spot as much as I possably could.Nothing is there my mom said.Knowing better than that I said again "theres a monster in the bathroom please don't go in there".Ever since that day I have never seen anything like it untill yesterday when I was watching ghost hunters and seen the exact shadow figure I had seen when I was five.Talk about bad memories.Now I know what I seen was not my imagination and not a half awake or half asleep dream.It was real and i'm not the only person it has happened to.

Check for new replies or respond here...