inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Gloomy Sunday

Written By: Apricot on 06/14/06 at 4:40 pm

Has anyone heard about this song? Apparently, it was written back in the 20s or 30s, and there have been a lot of bizzare suicides linked to it.. people who have been described as perfectly-happy and normal people.. apparently, one man killed himself with piano wire and they found a record of "Gloomy Sunday" in his player.. another woman overdosed on pills with the sheet music in her hand... several suicides have had notes expressing a desire to have that song played at the funeral.. others have been found with the lyrics scrawled onto walls or nearby paper..

I'm wondering if anyone else knows anything about it.

Subject: Re: Gloomy Sunday

Written By: JohnDenver on 06/14/06 at 6:26 pm

In that case, I'm going to have to listen to it. I take this as a challenge... If this song wants to earn the right to be referred to as "depressing", it has to make me more depressed!

Written By: Tia on 06/14/06 at 6:29 pm

In that case, I'm going to have to listen to it. I take this as a challenge... If this song wants to earn the right to be referred to as "depressing", it has to make me more depressed!
rocky mountain high actually has that effect on me.

Written By: JohnDenver on 06/14/06 at 6:32 pm

rocky mountain high actually has that effect on me.

Really? Some people consider that to be my best song ever!

Written By: Tia on 06/14/06 at 6:33 pm

Really? Some people consider that to be my best song ever!
sorry, john.

loved your work with george burns though.

Written By: JohnDenver on 06/14/06 at 6:39 pm

sorry, john.

loved your work with george burns though.

I'm going on tour with Linkin Park and Sum 41 next...

Written By: Tia on 06/14/06 at 6:47 pm

I'm going on tour with Linkin Park and Sum 41 next...
"how's everybody doin' tonight? i'm john denver and i call this next song rocky mountain IN YOUR FACE PUNK!"

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/14/06 at 7:07 pm

Has anyone heard about this song? Apparently, it was written back in the 20s or 30s, and there have been a lot of bizzare suicides linked to it.. people who have been described as perfectly-happy and normal people.. apparently, one man killed himself with piano wire and they found a record of "Gloomy Sunday" in his player.. another woman overdosed on pills with the sheet music in her hand... several suicides have had notes expressing a desire to have that song played at the funeral.. others have been found with the lyrics scrawled onto walls or nearby paper..

Wow, that's really interesting. Would make for a good movie, actually. I'll have to do some research on that.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/14/06 at 7:33 pm

I DID hear about that actually.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/18/06 at 9:15 pm

what are the actual lyrics...does anyone know?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/18/06 at 9:30 pm

I've been asking people about this. I made the mistake of asking mom today and got a 20 minute lecture on how I need to find new hobbies  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/18/06 at 9:40 pm

I've been asking people about this. I made the mistake of asking mom today and got a 20 minute lecture on how I need to find new hobbies  ;D

oh jeez...you should have known better! LOL! ::) ;D

Written By: Apricot on 06/18/06 at 9:52 pm

Phespirit to the rescue! God, I love this guy. He made a site with every single Momus lyric.. I looked at this years ago, I'm amazed I still remember the link: http://phespirit.info/  it's under "Music".

Here are the original lyrics, with a rough translation.. Rezso Seress is the original writer:

Written By: Apricot on 06/18/06 at 9:54 pm

Oh, and the deaths associated with it are upwards of 100. Also, the original writer, Rezso Seress, committed suicide eventually. And here's an interesting bit from an article:

As the months went by and the excitement died down, the B.B.C. agreed to release "Gloomy Sunday", but only as an instrumental. This version was later made into a record. A London policemen heard this particular arrangement being repeatedly and endlessly played in a nearby apartment. He considered this to be worthy of investigation. Upon entering the apartment, he found an automatic phonograph playing and replaying the tune. Next to it was a woman, dead from an overdose of barbiturates. It was this incident which prompted the B.B.C. to reimpose its ban on the song. To this day it has not been lifted.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/18/06 at 10:01 pm

Oh, and the deaths associated with it are upwards of 100. Also, the original writer, Rezso Seress, committed suicide eventually. And here's an interesting bit from an article:

As the months went by and the excitement died down, the B.B.C. agreed to release "Gloomy Sunday", but only as an instrumental. This version was later made into a record. A London policemen heard this particular arrangement being repeatedly and endlessly played in a nearby apartment. He considered this to be worthy of investigation. Upon entering the apartment, he found an automatic phonograph playing and replaying the tune. Next to it was a woman, dead from an overdose of barbiturates. It was this incident which prompted the B.B.C. to reimpose its ban on the song. To this day it has not been lifted.

wow...that is some freaky stuff.  :o  I actually like the lyrics...they are dark.

Written By: Apricot on 06/18/06 at 10:05 pm

wow...that is some freaky stuff.  :o  I actually like the lyrics...they are dark.

Bjork does a cover of it, I've heard... I'm gonna pirate it.

Oh, turns out a band called Christian Death also covered it.. I pirated that a long time ago and forgot it.. it's very, very sad.

Written By: JohnDenver on 06/27/06 at 7:03 pm

Oh, and the deaths associated with it are upwards of 100.

I intend to break that 100% into a mere 99.99999%... Does anyone have the .mp3 file of this song?

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/27/06 at 8:36 pm

I intend to break that 100% into a mere 99.99999%... Does anyone have the .mp3 file of this song?

I have like.. four versions.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/27/06 at 9:17 pm

I have like.. four versions.

You must send them! I lost them during the BIG CRASH OF '06!!

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/27/06 at 9:33 pm

You must send them! I lost them during the BIG CRASH OF '06!!

I will!

And I just listened to all of them in a row when I already felt depressed.

Written By: JohnDenver on 06/28/06 at 2:27 pm

Well, then you need to send them to me sometime, Dominic!

I fully expect to be disappointed, however. Things that make most people depressed have little effect on me, and things that make others happy usually make me depressed...

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/05/06 at 12:23 pm

I've listened to several versions of it and I haven't leapt off a high bridge yet...well obviously, else I wouldn't be here typing this.  :D I find that listening to Elliott Smith has that effect on me at times...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/05/06 at 6:52 pm

You know, I'm going to have to look up this Elliot Smith... This is about the 100th time I've seen that name in the last month, and it is getting on my nerves that I have no clue who he is...

Beth's like obsessed with the dude...she even thinks that his ghost is living in the "haunted" house behind ours. ;)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/05/06 at 9:20 pm

You know, I'm going to have to look up this Elliot Smith... This is about the 100th time I've seen that name in the last month, and it is getting on my nerves that I have no clue who he is...

Ha-HO! I could burn you a CD!

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/06/06 at 12:37 am

Ha-HO! I could burn you a CD!

NO! I COULD!!!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/06/06 at 9:39 am

Considering that neither of you has any idea how to get in touch with me... I'll probably just end up pirating. Thanks anyway.

Fine! >:-{

Make sure you get "Son Of Sam", "Bled White", "Say Yes", "Angeles", "Memory Lane", "Fond Farewell", "Hap--... Ah, screw it, get all of them!

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/06/06 at 10:02 am

Considering that neither of you has any idea how to get in touch with me... I'll probably just end up pirating. Thanks anyway.

NU! Feel the magic of my mixed tapes! Critically acclaimed on my myspace!

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/06/06 at 10:05 am

If Elliott were still alive I'd tell you to go out and BUY his albums. Nonetheless, you should really buy them anyway...

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/06/06 at 10:08 am

If Elliott were still alive I'd tell you to go out and BUY his albums. Nonetheless, you should really buy them anyway...

Yeah, I think you should buy them too. I usually don't say that, but.. I mean, it's Elliott Smith.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/06/06 at 10:09 am

Yeah, I think you should buy them too. I usually don't say that, but.. I mean, it's Elliott Smith.

Yeah, we all make exception from our usual habits of pirating/downloading for the artists we really respect/adore/worship.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/06/06 at 4:20 pm

I got an awesome version of "Gloomy Sunday" by Billie Holiday.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/06/06 at 5:09 pm

You know, I really, really need to get a hold of that song...

Out of the three versions I have, Billie Holiday's is the best, in my opinion. If you get a version, don't get Bjork.. it kinda sucks :P

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/06/06 at 6:42 pm

Tori Amos covered it.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/06/06 at 7:36 pm

Tori Amos covered it.

As did Bjork, Sarah McLachlan, and Billie Holiday.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/06/06 at 7:54 pm

As did Bjork, Sarah McLachlan, and Billie Holiday.

You forgot.. shoot! Who else was it!?

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/10/06 at 10:09 am

You knever know... Maybe JohnDenver will cover it someday  8)

But does JohnDenver know how to sing?

And the other artist that did it is "Portishead"

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/12/06 at 10:29 am

JohnDenver can't sing at all. But I'll just start a band, and get someone else to sing. He's cool. He comes from Italy, and is obsessed with heavy metal music.

Yeah, just the kind of "Gloomy Sunday" we need nowadays! "Black Bloomy Sunday Sabbath!!!"

Well, can I play keyboards?

Or depressing piano, yes, depressing piano.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/17/06 at 10:22 am

Do you like Gackt Camui? Because I get what little music inspiration I have from that.

Oh, and if Beth and I manage to get together some Thursday, I think I'd have to call it "Gloomy Thursday" ROFFLE

Still haven't heard him *AHEMHerCOUGHAHEM* Sorry, what was that?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/17/06 at 10:44 am

Still haven't heard him *AHEMHerCOUGHAHEM* Sorry, what was that?

:o You take that back! You're the one who agreed with me that he's hot! >:-{

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/17/06 at 10:46 am

:o You take that back! You're the one who agreed with me that he's hot! >:-{

He is! But he's still girly.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/17/06 at 11:25 am

Actually, you should have said, "You're the only one who agrees with me and Denver that he's hot!"

I didn't know you thought so..!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/17/06 at 3:43 pm

Er... Look at my sig. I mean that literally. ;D

Well, I took that as you just liking his music.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/17/06 at 8:54 pm

GACKT EFFIN' RAWKS!!!! :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/18/06 at 7:31 am

I'm going to start putting Gackt lyrics in my signature...

er....now all I need is a translation!!  :D

Written By: Apricot on 07/20/06 at 10:26 am

No, it's not 100% of listeners.. it's +100 people worldwide.

Written By: divine_intervention on 07/30/06 at 6:58 pm

I got an awesome version of "Gloomy Sunday" by Billie Holiday.

I downloaded that version. Pretty awesome I must say. And I didn't kill myself. I'm pretty impressed. lol

Written By: yoidy on 02/02/07 at 6:40 pm

Gloomy Sunday has a higher body count than Ozzy or Judas Priest! Eat your hearts out, metalheads!

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/19/08 at 12:17 am

I can see the mechanisms behind the power of this song. Take some power images and sounds that stick in your head, add the power of suggestion, and this combination can activate if the time is right.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/12 at 3:35 pm

This song was featured on QI in 2006.

From wiki: The saddest song ever is "Gloomy Sunday" sung by Billie Holiday, also known as the "Hungarian Suicide Song". The song was originally written by Rezső Seress, who broke up with his girlfriend. After the song became popular, they got together briefly but then she committed suicide by poisoning herself and left only a two-word suicide note that said simply "Gloomy Sunday".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48cTUnUtzx4

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 05/13/12 at 10:13 pm

This song was featured on QI in 2006.

From wiki: The saddest song ever is "Gloomy Sunday" sung by Billie Holiday, also known as the "Hungarian Suicide Song". The song was originally written by Rezső Seress, who broke up with his girlfriend. After the song became popular, they got together briefly but then she committed suicide by poisoning herself and left only a two-word suicide note that said simply "Gloomy Sunday".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48cTUnUtzx4

Reading that gave me chills!

Check for new replies or respond here...